or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest - Page 3

post #81 of 107

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



The fact is that it was lame attempt to get attention that didn't work.

 

Is that a fact. Most tech media carried a story about it and you've taken the time to notice, read replies to the story, and comment on it. I'd say it worked perfectly. That you and others think it was lame is irrelevant and hypocritical since you commented on it. You don't like it, but it was nevertheless a very successful stunt. The goal was to get noticed and to that end it was.

post #82 of 107

Getting noticed used to get you points in marketing, but that just isn't the case anymore.  When your brand has been damaged, to the point where RIM is now, getting noticed for stunts like this will not help.  In fact, it's going to be more fodder for those mocking RIM - which at this point it seems most people have a hard time not mocking them.

 

I do understand that they need to do something so as not to become completely irrelevant, but I can tell you I'd have more respect for them if they were a little more humble.  Admit they've screwed up for the past 5 years and that this new OS 10 they are promising to be so extraordinary may actually need to be worked on far longer than they're say...wait, they can't say that can they.  So they shouldn't say anything, get their code into the hands of some prominent developers, make a viable OS and eco-system to support it - THEN start marketing.

post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Is that a fact. Most tech media carried a story about it and you've taken the time to notice, read replies to the story, and comment on it. I'd say it worked perfectly.

 

For Samsung. EVERYONE thought it was Samsung. NO ONE thought it was RIM. They had to tell us. It failed and was a complete waste of money.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhania dev View Post

Nate "Blunty" Burr has never been a RIM's employee... this information is incorrect. See his youtube channel 'Blunty3000', he has clearly said its incorrect. He has never worked for Blackberry... its all rubbish.

Blunty clearly said he never worked for Blackberry? Indeed. Poses as his Apple Store presence was happenstance? Yet you say later that he had been informed? So we are to accept that he "never" ever worked for BB?

 

What ever is the truth, that we even have to wonder what is the truth doesn't bode well for his character, now, does it.. And he's not embarrassed one bit. Sounds like a slam dunk.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #85 of 107

This reminds me a little of IBM's "Groovy" ad campaign for OS/2, in that it is an unfocused attempt to look relevant and hip. I wonder how that worked out for OS/2...

post #86 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

I wasn't one of them, but I'll say "so what?" 
 

 

it proves, once again, that several fanatics of Apple products were wrong (and fail to admit it).

post #87 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

For Samsung. EVERYONE thought it was Samsung.

 

no.

 

i didn't think it was Samsung because, at the time of reporting, there was nothing to indicate it was Samsung.

post #88 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

 

I wasn't one of them, but I'll say "so what?" 

The fact is that it was lame attempt to get attention that didn't work. Maybe they should have spent the money having a fake funeral, instead. 

Or waited a year or two and had a real one for RIM.

 

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

 

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

 

This just proves them all wrong.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #89 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

 

 

Ignoring for the moment the fact that you just created this account, Apple was a visionary company long before they introduced the iPhone. Many, including myself, were dying for them to introduce a mobile phone and disrupt the market - which is exactly what they did. Are you suggesting that there's any evidence that RIM is this type of company and that they will soon introduce a product that will leapfrog so far ahead of Apple that millions will not hesitate to switch?

 

My sympathies if you're a RIM employee.

 

 

Don't forget, once upon a time you were a first time poster as well. No I am not suggesting there is evidence that RIM will introduce a product that will immediately leapfrog the iPhone or Android, all I was saying was we should maybe just wait and see what they have to offer before saying how crap it is. However unlikely it may seem there is the smallest possibility that this new product could be the first step in rebuilding the company or, as I stated, the final nail in the coffin. It took the iPhone a few generations to work it's way into the workplace, RIM may be prepared to do the same but as previously stated, that all depends on whether or not developers are prepared to contribute with apps for it.

 

No, I am not a RIM employee, if I was I would have jumped ship long ago.

post #90 of 107

I don't know what's sadder for BB: That they did it. Or that no-one thought they did - BB simply has no mind share today.

 

I guess the former, really, as even if you had thought of Apple's competition, I for one would have thought that BB has better taste than this. It was stupid. Idiotic. Moronic. And had no message. Wake up to what? Wake up to the QNX platform which is not ready yet? Wake up to their shipping product, which is 5 years behind the times? 

post #91 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

 

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

 

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

 

This just proves them all wrong.

 

It's not that Apple fans don't believe it *now* (is that what you mean?), it's that no one anywhere that I've seen even suspected it was RIM until evidence started to point in their direction.  I think that's a clearer sign than any other that the campaign was ill-conceived.  Guerilla marketing has to be done right, if it's done in a manner and style that reminds people of someone else's PR (hence the fixation on Samsung), then you've really failed.

 

Also, the quote "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" is not a correct, that quote really leaves out the reference to a very specific branch of Samsung, leaving open the (however remote) possibility that some other branch of Samsung might have been behind it.


Edited by JeffDM - 5/2/12 at 6:01am
post #92 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

 

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

 

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

 

This just proves them all wrong.

 

Uh huh...

 

19807971.jpg

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #93 of 107

(Retracted)


Edited by nvidia2008 - 5/1/12 at 11:09pm
post #94 of 107

(Retracted)


Edited by nvidia2008 - 5/1/12 at 11:09pm
post #95 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

 

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

 

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

 

This just proves them all wrong.

 

Well, AI is an Apple fan site. What do you expect?

 

I live in Korea, or Samsung Jeguk (where the Myung-bak administration works for Samsung, not for the people) and you should take the time to read the anti-Apple articles written by the ChoJoongDong newspaper cartel, which is, by the way, the mouthpiece of Samsung.

 

At least, you don't see the NYT writing articles full of blatant lies about Samsung.

post #96 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelhk View Post

Of course the best way to mock the whole campaign is to ask the people who are participating what phones they have.

How many ofy of them would be using Blackberrys.

 

I have no sympathy for companies that fall behind. They have the same chances as any other company to innovate and make good products.

 

You had the product, but your time is over.

 

Does anyone actually believe Blackberrys will become a market force again.

 

Also, why picket Apple? Isn't Samsung the world's number one phone maker now?

It's because RIMM understands that Samsung won't be a threat in the Enterprise business, but Apple. Companies are replacing Blackberry phones with iPhones deploying iPad for marketing users. RIMM can feel the heat there. The only one who may be taking over the Enterprise business is Microsoft with its Windows 8 on mobile phones and tablets.

post #97 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

 

Samsung didnt want this type of attention. Blame it on RIM for attempting to make a mockery of themselves ( and they've certainly did).

 

Leave Samsung out of it.  Clearly a statement such as "Samsung had nothing to do with this campaign" isnt enough for Apple fans to believe because apparently they dont believe a word they say.

 

This just proves them all wrong.

Really? What about those stupid Samsung commercials against those people lining up in front of Apple stores, huh? Insulting users with negative campaigns won't get Samsung anywhere. If you want consumers, put out outstanding products, no need for negative campaigns.

post #98 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Really? What about those stupid Samsung commercials against those people lining up in front of Apple stores, huh? Insulting users with negative campaigns won't get Samsung anywhere. If you want consumers, put out outstanding products, no need for negative campaigns.

What about Apple's Get A Mac ads? Isn't that quite similar?

post #99 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

It's because RIMM understands that Samsung won't be a threat in the Enterprise business, but Apple. Companies are replacing Blackberry phones with iPhones deploying iPad for marketing users. RIMM can feel the heat there. The only one who may be taking over the Enterprise business is Microsoft with its Windows 8 on mobile phones and tablets.

Do you mean RIM?

post #100 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

What about Apple's Get A Mac ads? Isn't that quite similar?

 

One difference is those ads didn't insult the users at all.  Those ads only showed the difference in platforms, it wasn't about the users.


Edited by JeffDM - 5/2/12 at 1:00pm
post #101 of 107

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Do you mean RIM?

 

RIMM is the stock symbol.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #102 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

RIMM is the stock symbol.

Not the name of the company though.

post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Not the name of the company though.

 

Technically, that's true, but the ticker symbol is often used interchangeably with the company name, especially in investment lingo.

post #104 of 107
Despite my preference for Apple products over RIM the fact is that RIM has funded the Perimeter Institute which is arguably significant on a cosmic scale in the same manner as Bell Labs, IBM research, and Xerox PARC. These were industry funded basic research institutes that benefited the US and the world as well as garnering several Nobel Prizes. Today it is hard to point to similar ventures other than Perimeter and possibly Microsoft Research. I wish Apple would use some of its vast profits to pay forward so future companies have basic research to build on like Apple did for Xerox PARC.
post #105 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Those weren't that bad.

From your link... "​The two then act out a brief vignette, in which the capabilities and attributes of Mac and PC are compared"


Were they snarky?  Absolutely.  But the message was comparison... not outright criticism.  At least Apple tried to teach you something about their product.

And they didn't insult the users the way this protest did by implication

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #106 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

For Samsung. EVERYONE thought it was Samsung. NO ONE thought it was RIM. They had to tell us. It failed and was a complete waste of money.

Note my responses in the other thread. There are a couple remarkably stupid people on here (either that or their sense of reasoning is disabled when posting on Apple forums). More than one of them suggested that the flash mob was orchestrated by Samsung, accompanied by the typical internet chest beating. Personally I think the stupid commercials are just a sign that they need a better ad agency, or if they were internal ideas, then they need to stop interfering with their ad agency.

post #107 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

What an ugly stupid thing to do.
We know who has been asleep for the last few years.

Several months ago I got a BB Playbook. 
It has a few good points over the iPad, but also has some serious weakness.  The first weakness is the 3+ minute boot up, time to have a coffee !
If only Apple had a 7" iPad, I'd switch very fast !

Um I think you have a problem with your Playbook, even with the new 2.0 update mine only takes 40 seconds to boot. Try re-installing everything. I like the multitasking on the Playbook, I wish all mobile OS's used the same technique.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › RIM admits it was behind 'Wake Up' mock protest