or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung overtakes Apple to claim smartphone market share lead
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung overtakes Apple to claim smartphone market share lead

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
Despite strong growth year-over-year, Apple ceded its spot as the world's top smartphone vendor in the first quarter of 2012 as Samsung boosted both smartphone and feature phone shipments to record levels.

Estimates released on Tuesday by IDC see Samsung as the global market leader in total phone shipments for the first quarter of 2012, wresting the title away from Nokia for the first time since the inception of the research firm's Mobile Phone Tracker in 2004.

Samsung is said to have ridden a wave of growth in the smartphone sector and shipped 93.8 million phones to take 23.5 percent of the worldwide mobile market. Comparatively, former leader Nokia only shipped 11.9 million units while Apple managed 35.1 million iPhones, which accounted for market shares of 20.8 percent and 8.8 percent, respectively.

"The halcyon days of rapid growth in the smartphone market have been good to Samsung," said Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker program. "Samsung has used its established relationships with carriers in a mix of economically diverse markets to gain share organically and at the expense of former high fliers such as Nokia."

IDC Smartphone
Source: IDC


Although Samsung doesn't disclose official sales numbers, IDC estimates that the Galaxy S II maker shipped 42.2 million smartphones, a 267 percent increase from 2011's 11.5 million, which accounted for almost half of the company's total phone shipments.

Apple performed well and posted an 88.7 year-over-year change with its 35.1 million iPhone shipments. The Cupertino, Calif., company benefitted from overall growth in the smartphone space as vendors shipped 144.9 million units, a 42.5 percent increase from the year ago quarter 's 101.7 million units.

"The race between Apple and Samsung remained tight during the quarter, even as both companies posted growth in key areas," said IDC Mobile Phone Technology and Trends senior research analyst Ramon Llamas. "Apple launched its popular iPhone 4S in additional key markets, most notably in China, and Samsung experienced continued success from its Galaxy Note smartphone/tablet and other Galaxy smartphones. With other companies in the midst of major strategic transitions, the contest between Apple and Samsung will bear close observation as hotly-anticipated new models are launched."

Chart: Top Five WW Smartphone Vendors, 1Q 2012, Five Quarter Market Share Changes (Units)Description: Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, May 1, 2012Note: Vendor shipments are branded shipments and exclude OEM sales for all vendors.IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker provides smart phone and feature phone market data in 54 countries by vendor, device type, air interface, operating systems and platforms, and generation. Over 20 additional technical segmentations are provided. The data is provided four times a year and includes historical and forecast trend analysis. For more information, or to subscribe to the research, please contact Kathy Nagamine at 1-650-350-6423 or knagamine@idc.com. For more information about this tracker go to: http://www.idc.com/tracker/showproductinfo.jsp?prod_id=37Tags: IDC, Tracker, Mobile Phone, Mobile Phones, Mobile Phone Tracker, 1Q201 ...Author: IDCcharts powered by iCharts


Research in Motion continued its decline in smartphone market share to hit levels not seen since 2009. The BlackBerry maker shipped 9.7 million units which accounted for a 29.7 percent drop year-to-year.

Nokia's share fell in both the smartphone and overall mobile markets, suffering declines of 50.8 percent and 23.8 percent, respectively. Total mobile phone shipments for the Finnish telecom reached 82.7 million units for the quarter.

Both RIM and Nokia are in transition as the companies try to keep up with major players Apple and Samsung. The Canadian phone maker has started the countdown on the release of its delayed BlackBerry 10 mobile OS, which is hoped to lure customers back to the platform that was once synonymous with enterprise. Nokia and Microsoft's 2011 deal recently bore fruit as the company released its flagship Lumia 900 Windows Phone in its bid to find a foothold after ditching Symbian-based handsets.

The overall mobile phone market slumped 1.5 percent with shipments dipping from 404.3 million in the first quarter of 2011 to 398.4 million units in the last quarter.

IDC Total
Source: IDC


The IDC report echoes research from Strategy Analytics which also estimated that Samsung would take a sizable chunk of the smartphone market in the first quarter.

Apple and Samsung are seen as running away with the smartphone market, however, and both are poised to make significant gains in the coming year. The two companies are still locked in a worldwide legal battle that spans 10 countries. Most recently a U.S. judge schedule court-moderated settlement talks for May 21-22, though it remains to be seen whether such a meeting will have any effect on the morass of litigation.
post #2 of 69

Let's see one of those pie charts showing which company is making the most profit.

post #3 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Let's see one of those pie charts showing which company is making the most profit.

 

And let's see what happens when the iPhone 5 comes out… that red line will be popping wheelies.

post #4 of 69

Where the hell are these Samsung phones? I spot a few a week, while I literally see hundreds of iPhones a day, in a wide variety of environments. Are they selling shitloads overseas?

post #5 of 69

Cue

 

"but apple only has one model"

 

"but who makes all the profit" ohh too slow

 

"but but..."

 

 

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #6 of 69
All without the aid of the Galaxy S III.

Also: MEGALOL @ Nokia. Owned by Samsung and übercool newcomer Apple. Let's see what further damage Microsoft Trojan Elop can do with their WP7 suicide.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #7 of 69
Each new estimate contradicts the last.

There aren't very many reasons to not disclose actual numbers. So, my guess, is that the estimates saying that Samsung didn't best Apple, are the more accurate ones. If Samsung became the #1 smartphone vender in the world, it would probably be gloating to no end. Considering that Apple has around 60% share in the USA, things would need to be very different in most countries for Samsung to beat Apple by itself.

I find it kinda funny that AppleInsider has posted this estimate as hard fact, at least going off the headline.
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
post #8 of 69

Here in Holland everyone below 25 and with a disposable income below average has a Samsung. Everyone else has an iPhone. You hardly see any other brand around.

As a side note, everyone who currently has a Samsung 'whatever', wants an iPhone but only if screen size was at least slightly larger (up to 4", not larger).

post #9 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell are these Samsung phones?

 

Homeless shelters and remedial schools. The rest sit at home playing Second Life.

post #10 of 69
Shipped does not equal sold.

There are hundreds of thousands of stores holding inventory of Samsung phones whilst Apple reports sold devices.

Apples versus Pears!
post #11 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell are these Samsung phones? I spot a few a week, while I literally see hundreds of iPhones a day, in a wide variety of environments. Are they selling shitloads overseas?

 

They must be out there. Look at the chart.

 

You can trust analysts!

post #12 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

Here in Holland everyone below 25 and with a disposable income below average has a Samsung. Everyone else has an iPhone. You hardly see any other brand around.

As a side note, everyone who currently has a Samsung 'whatever', wants an iPhone but only if screen size was at least slightly larger (up to 4", not larger).

 

Here in the Netherlands everyone age 35 and up with a disposable income above average in my area has a Galaxy S II and are very satisfied with it.

 

So there you have it, a just as irrelevant observation as macspotter.

 

Never use your own observation and extrapolate it to the entire market. Either ignore global estimates like the IDC makes or accept them as they are the closest you can get. Or just claim 7.2 million Samsung smartphones are sitting in warehouses and are just shipped, and Apple is on top again.

 

If it evens matters who is in the number one spot, just enjoy the phone you have if you are satisfied with it and let everyone make their own decisions


Edited by mausz - 5/1/12 at 2:52am
post #13 of 69
i trully believe this. in fact i am surprised that the difference isn't higher..

you americans don't understand.

in europe, whole families only have samsung. they trust their fridge and microwave. more than 80% of those that are buying phones bellow 300€ buy samsung. only a few buy smartphones above that.
not only that, we have very few apple stores available. people still not trust apple that much, they are afraid of spending 600€ for an iPhone.

obviously it's rare to spot an high end samsung smartphone in the wild, but the ace? even weaker/cheaper models? EVERYONE has them.. entire families..
they are destroying everyone in the low end. really. they are eating them.

look at that chart! if things keep going this way… jesus. god help motorola, rim, nokia, htc, sony, lg, etc. they are going down.

p.s: and google, in case samsung forks android. they have google on their palm. google can't do shit without sammy's approval.
post #14 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

All without the aid of the Galaxy S III.
Also: MEGALOL @ Nokia. Owned by Samsung and übercool newcomer Apple. Let's see what further damage Microsoft Trojan Elop can do with their WP7 suicide.

 

If you're thinking all Samsung smartphone are GS2, Note and alike, you're wrong. There are about 20 Samsung door stop that are called smartphone because they have Android installed in them.

Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #15 of 69

Hmmm...post bait?

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell are these Samsung phones? I spot a few a week, while I literally see hundreds of iPhones a day, in a wide variety of environments. Are they selling shitloads overseas?


I was in South Korea a few weeks ago and EVERYONE and their mother had one of those giant galaxy bricks. I saw a few iphones and of course even in the land of Samsung having an iPhone is a notch above.
Not sure how Samsung does in China, probably well
post #17 of 69
Quote:

"Cue

 

"but apple only has one model"

 

"but who makes all the profit" ohh too slow

 

"but but..."

 

 

Think about what you wrote.  You're defending bulk over profit and quality?  Do you suppose many people are fans of Apple not because they're cows but because Apple...makes good products and deservedly dominates financially?
 


Edited by Sol77 - 5/1/12 at 4:10am
post #18 of 69

Check out samsungusa.com

 

Samsung has approx. 140 phone SKU's.

 

Goes nicely with the 130+ TV SKU's.

post #19 of 69

So it does prove that Samsung has more sheep than Apple does.

 

Whew. What a relief.

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Cue

 

"but apple only has one model"

 

"but who makes all the profit" ohh too slow

 

"but but..."

 

 

Stupid Apple fans.  It's like they think a better company is defined by how much profit it makes and the quality of its products.  They only think that because they're fanboys.
 


The reason I care about sales is because I just hate seeing people use products that I view as junk. There's nothing "fanboy" about wanting others to use the products that you use, particularly when you receive the indirect benefit of greater demand for Apple and developers to create awesome apps and services.
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator but, ya know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."
Reply
post #21 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i trully believe this. in fact i am surprised that the difference isn't higher..
you americans don't understand.
in europe, whole families only have samsung. they trust their fridge and microwave. more than 80% of those that are buying phones bellow 300€ buy samsung. only a few buy smartphones above that.
not only that, we have very few apple stores available. people still not trust apple that much, they are afraid of spending 600€ for an iPhone.
obviously it's rare to spot an high end samsung smartphone in the wild, but the ace? even weaker/cheaper models? EVERYONE has them.. entire families..
they are destroying everyone in the low end. really. they are eating them.
look at that chart! if things keep going this way… jesus. god help motorola, rim, nokia, htc, sony, lg, etc. they are going down.
p.s: and google, in case samsung forks android. they have google on their palm. google can't do shit without sammy's approval.

 

Americans understand very well:

 

  • In such a competitive environment the market leader will typically release their product sales.
  • Samsung manufactures poor quality products with return rates as high as 16% according to ITG Investment Group.
  • Cheap, low quality phones don't create brand loyalty.  
  • Poor customer service and lack of local representatives (typically in storefronts).

 

 

However, ultimately the results this quarter are irrelevant.

 

post #22 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

Each new estimate contradicts the last.
There aren't very many reasons to not disclose actual numbers. So, my guess, is that the estimates saying that Samsung didn't best Apple, are the more accurate ones. If Samsung became the #1 smartphone vender in the world, it would probably be gloating to no end. Considering that Apple has around 60% share in the USA, things would need to be very different in most countries for Samsung to beat Apple by itself.
I find it kinda funny that AppleInsider has posted this estimate as hard fact, at least going off the headline.

 

The reason that different people come up with different numbers was discussed in the last thread.


Different analysts define 'smartphones' differently. The analysts largely agree with how many phones (total) Samsung has sold, but the estimates of smart phones varies by 30-40%. Clearly, one analyst is counting low end 'smart phones' as smart phones and the other is not.

What it tells you is that on the high end - where Apple competes - Apple remains the clear leader.


Not that it matters, of course. I buy the phone which best suits my needs and really don't care what someone else has bought.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So it does prove that Samsung has more sheep than Apple does.

 

Whew. What a relief.

 

+1

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #23 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Let's see one of those pie charts showing which company is making the most profit.

 


Apple!  And where do those profits come from?  Us, via the Apple tax!

post #24 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post


The reason I care about sales is because I just hate seeing people use products that I view as junk. There's nothing "fanboy" about wanting others to use the products that you use, particularly when you receive the indirect benefit of greater demand for Apple and developers to create awesome apps and services.

 

 



Sorry, dude.  I was actually knocking somebody's notion of bulk being better than profit and quality...I'm just inept when it comes to the new posting procedure...so it looked like I was the one who posted the quotes when I was actually quoting somebody else.  My edited response is above...might make more sense.  : ) 

post #25 of 69

The thing that gets me about all these figures is Google's line as to how much they make out of iOS compared to Android, when overall sales of Android devices can't be wildly dissimilar to the totals for iOS devices - yet the income generated by the two isn't comparable. 

 

I can only think that this means that a large number of Android phones, whilst being classed as Smartphones are not used as such!

 

post #26 of 69
Yawn.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

So it does prove that Samsung has more sheep than Apple does.

 

Whew. What a relief.

Haha yes, who are the sheeple now?
post #28 of 69

Your headlines are shit! You mislead, misquote, misjudge, misrepresent all without guilt or conscious. You repost, reblog, regurgitate without checking facts. Do you even care what you put into the world? Or is it more about selling ad space and knowing that being the troll of tech blogs you can get page views, clicks and comments just by posting shitty content and playing with peoples passions?

 

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. You should strive to be better. Rediscover your integrity and sleep better at night.

 

I'm saddened by the fact I let it work on me. A mistake I won't make anymore!

post #29 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post

Your headlines are shit! You mislead, misquote, misjudge, misrepresent all without guilt or conscious. You repost, reblog, regurgitate without checking facts. Do you even care what you put into the world? Or is it more about selling ad space and knowing that being the troll of tech blogs you can get page views, clicks and comments just by posting shitty content and playing with peoples passions?

 

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. You should strive to be better. Rediscover your integrity and sleep better at night.

 

I'm saddened by the fact I let it work on me. A mistake I won't make anymore!

 

Meds, nurse, get the meds!!!

post #30 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

 

 


Apple!  And where do those profits come from?  Us, via the Apple tax!

 

Yep, you're absolutely right! I mean, it's rediculous. I walk into an Apple store, get a brand new iPhone for $200 (I'm going to pay the same monthly rate whether I buy the phone subsidized or not. That must be Apple's fault as well, right?), or I can walk into a Verizon store and buy a Razr Maxx or Galaxy Nexus for $300. So the carriers pay Apple a little bit more money than they do Android OEMs, but how does that affect me again? I am paying identical monthly fees, but $100 less upfront for, imo, a superior experience. I just wish that damn "Apple tax" didn't apply!

 

/s

post #31 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Comparatively, former leader Nokia only shipped 35.1 million units while Apple managed 11.9 million iPhones, which accounted for market shares of 20.8 percent and 8.8 percent, respectively.

 

Appleinsider: You've got the Apple and Nokia numbers reversed.  Please fix this.

 

 

 

 


Edited by NormM - 5/1/12 at 6:25am
post #32 of 69

IDC = ???     Come on,   if Samsung doesn't report the numbers and all other do  how is this even a story.    

AI risks becoming less relevant if they cannot report news ( or rumors) in context,  and doubly so if unable to proof

the release.    35.1 million smart-phones sold-  and certainly the leading technology no matter the number.

post #33 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

Apple!  And where do those profits come from?  Us, via the Apple tax!

 

Absolutely wrong.

When you buy a high end phone at AT&T or any other carrier who offers a subsidy, the price is comparable. A $199 iPhone doesn't cost you any more than a $199 Android phone, so there's no Apple tax.

The difference is that Apple's manufacturing process is efficient enough (partly because they don't offer 150 models) to bring their costs down and increase their profits.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

The thing that gets me about all these figures is Google's line as to how much they make out of iOS compared to Android, when overall sales of Android devices can't be wildly dissimilar to the totals for iOS devices - yet the income generated by the two isn't comparable. 

 

I can only think that this means that a large number of Android phones, whilst being classed as Smartphones are not used as such!

 

 

Of course. That's the point I made above. Many of the Samsung 'smart phones' appear to be marginal enough that some people call them smart phones and others do not. Only a fraction of Samsung's sales can be considered to be high end phones comparable to the iPhone.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #34 of 69

Except they haven't. 

 

I'll link to my post on troll-infested MacRumors. 

 

Enjoy.

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14785202&postcount=1

post #35 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Where the hell are these Samsung phones? I spot a few a week, while I literally see hundreds of iPhones a day, in a wide variety of environments. Are they selling shitloads overseas?

 

I never see anything except iPhones.

post #36 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Different analysts define 'smartphones' differently. The analysts largely agree with how many phones (total) Samsung has sold, but the estimates of smart phones varies by 30-40%. Clearly, one analyst is counting low end 'smart phones' as smart phones and the other is not.

What it tells you is that on the high end - where Apple competes - Apple remains the clear leader.

 

 

Samsung currently sells Android phones running Eclair (that's like iOS 2.0) with QVGA 320x240 screens and calls them smartphones. They also sell Windows mobile and Windows Phone (though these are likely a fraction of their sales) and BADA. So it's easy to see how the numbers could vary depending on whether you decide to include these low-end "smartphones".

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

The thing that gets me about all these figures is Google's line as to how much they make out of iOS compared to Android, when overall sales of Android devices can't be wildly dissimilar to the totals for iOS devices - yet the income generated by the two isn't comparable. 

 

I can only think that this means that a large number of Android phones, whilst being classed as Smartphones are not used as such!

 

 

Web traffic also indicates iOS devices are responsible for significantly more internet browsing than Android. Previously we only had this data to go on but now that Google has released income figures (during the Oracle/Google trial) we can see the estimates for web usage were probably correct since they mirror the income generated by both platforms. Just further proves your point that a lot of Android devices aren't being used as "smartphones".

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #37 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

 

 

Absolutely wrong.

When you buy a high end phone at AT&T or any other carrier who offers a subsidy, the price is comparable. A $199 iPhone doesn't cost you any more than a $199 Android phone, so there's no Apple tax.

The difference is that Apple's manufacturing process is efficient enough (partly because they don't offer 150 models) to bring their costs down and increase their profits.

 

That's not entirely true. US carriers subsidize iPhone more than they subsidize comparable Android phones. I believe we already cleared that up in this thread:

 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149668/estimate-claims-apple-bested-samsung-by-3m-to-remain-top-smartphone-vendor/40

 

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'll link to my post on troll-infested MacRumors.

 

Hey, you got banned, too. What for, if you don't mind my asking?

 

… THERE'S A MODERATOR FROM 2009?! Oh, 12,000 posts; I guess that's okay… The last slew of "moderators" I remember them hiring was the one right before my banning (not a conspiracy theorist, so I won't comment on what happened around that), and they were all no more than a year old and none had more than 1,000 posts.

 

It was just WRONG, is all. 

 

EDIT: Wow, I joined here in 2010? That's bothersome; it feels like much longer ago. Probably because I consider my time at MacRumors just an extension of being here. More like 'a slog through the crap', and now I've "retired" to a much better place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims1973 View Post
post


So instead of helping them fix whatever's wrong (by telling them), you're just going to leave? You're part of the problem, then.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #39 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

 
 There's nothing "fanboy" about wanting others to use the products that you use,

 

 

LOL!

post #40 of 69

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What it tells you is that on the high end - where Apple competes - Apple remains the clear leader.

 

 

 

Apple doesn't care about market share.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung overtakes Apple to claim smartphone market share lead