or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target to stop selling Amazon Kindle products in favor of iPad, Nook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Target to stop selling Amazon Kindle products in favor of iPad, Nook - Page 2

post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Half of Android tablet sales??? According to the following article, Apple has sold 67 million iPads since its introduction two years ago. Amazon started selling the Fire last November... and has sold nearly 30 million of them.
 
That's half of APPLE'S sales, in just five months...
 

Those numbers don't make sense, a quarterly figure for Amazon Fire sales has been derived based on a percentage of total sales of iPads since 2010 (67 million), when the figure should have been based on last quarters sales of iPads (12 million).

 

50% of 12 million DOES NOT EQUAL 30 million.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #42 of 55
Well said!
post #43 of 55
Screw The Verge for insinuating Apple might be behind this. I mean Apple and Amazon products are sold at Best Buy Stores and as far as I know BB is still selling Kindles. If we want to go the conspiracy theory route, Target specifically mentioned the Nook in their statement. Microsoft recently invested in the Nook. So perhaps The Verge should be looking at Microsoft or B&N...
post #44 of 55

Yay, go Nooky. I love all those pretty cases they make for them. Still waiting for someone to start importing the new glow version, would love to get my hands on one. What is Target, is it like a Walmart? When I was in Florida 6 years ago I visited one, needed diapers, horrible place, I had never seen so many large people in one area. I might see maybe 5 huge people a year here in Switzerland, I saw at least a 100 in less then a day. I think once a person has over 30% body fat there should be some sort of mandatory fat camp that they must go to.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #45 of 55
This comes down to one thing. Target has come to understand it shouldn't be helping Amazon put Target out of business. Amazon already has an unfair advantage when it comes to online sales in the sense that stores like Target have to charge a sales tax whereas Amazon mostly does not. Companies like Walmart, and presumably Target, have complained about this disadvantage.

Moreover, Amazon uses its monopoly market clout to undermine products stores like Target sell. For instance, Amazon's monopoly with hardcover book sales allows it to force down the cost of e-books below the hardcover books, which in turn puts a hurt on Stores like Targets book sales. It does the same thing with other digital content like music. Moreover, as another person pointed out Amazon has an App that allows users to scan the price of any product in stores like Target to 1) compare the price on Amazon, and 2) let Amazon know what the competitor is charging. Amazon essentially competes with Target in every area of Target's business. Amazon has also gotten around the infamous favored nations clause offered by publishers, by getting exclusive rights to a lot of the most popular literature right now. Take for instance, the Hunger Games or Harry Potter. Odd you can't find this stuff on iBooks.


Apple is less a threat to stores like Target. Apple's real business is selling hardware, not content. Apple's content sales are designed to make its hardware more appealing. On an iPad, you can get a Kindle App, a Target App, a Barnes and Noble app, and the list goes on. Apple wants to control its own destiny so it offers content sales, but it is willing to share content sales to make its devices more attractive. Moreover, to the extent Apple sells content, this is very limited competition to a company like Target, which sells all kinds of products. Barnes and Noble's Nook is essentially in the same category as Apple's iPad in terms of a threat to Target. It is only competing with Target in some limited markets like books, music and movies. This is small potatoes compared to Amazon.
post #46 of 55
Welcome to Florida and to a lessor extent the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yay, go Nooky. I love all those pretty cases they make for them. Still waiting for someone to start importing the new glow version, would love to get my hands on one. What is Target, is it like a Walmart? When I was in Florida 6 years ago I visited one, needed diapers, horrible place, I had never seen so many large people in one area. I might see maybe 5 huge people a year here in Switzerland, I saw at least a 100 in less then a day. I think once a person has over 30% body fat there should be some sort of mandatory fat camp that they must go to.
post #47 of 55

Target was a great place to pick up Amazon gift cards. Darn it.

post #48 of 55
That's low even for Amazon. If I were running Target I'd do the same thing.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Half of Android tablet sales??? According to the following article, Apple has sold 67 million iPads since its introduction two years ago. Amazon started selling the Fire last November... and has sold nearly 30 million of them.
 
That's half of APPLE'S sales, in just five months...
 


The link you provided doesn't back your claim at all. The link cites clearly states (the accuracy of the number is very suspect at best) that the Fire only represents 45% of all 'Android' tablets being sold and that Apple has 55% of the entire tablet market. So you basically pulled the 30 million number out of your butt.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


The link you provided doesn't back your claim at all. The link cites clearly states (the accuracy of the number is very suspect at best) that the Fire only represents 45% of all 'Android' tablets being sold and that Apple has 55% of the entire tablet market. So you basically pulled the 30 million number out of your butt.

 

Actually, the link that he provided is very clear and claims that 9 M Kindle Fires were sold in the first 2 quarters (ending March 31, 2012). That's a long ways from 30 M.

And even that number is a bit suspect. Amazon does not publish information by model. As near as I can tell, the number is derived by estimating the total Kindle sales and assuming some percentage are Fires - and not accounting for returns or units left on the store shelf. Keep in mind that the initial period will always have some number of units that simply create stock on store shelves. To get the correct numbers for a startup product, you need to subtract channel inventory. The same is true for iPad, of course, but since it's an established product with units already on the shelves, you only need to count the INCREASE in channel inventory. Since the new iPad was still in short supply at the end of the 1st quarter, that number was probably insignificant (or even reduced the estimates of total sales - since stores are probably reducing iPad 2 inventory numbers).

 

Considering those factors, I'd guess that the Kindle Fire sales have been closer to 7 M than to 9 M over the 2 quarters.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #51 of 55

Yes, this is a smart decision.   I have a Nook Color, and I love it!  It's simply one of the best products ever.

 

 

IronTed 

Supreme Commander of the Galactic Republic

post #52 of 55

From The Loop...

'Target’s upset with Amazon for its “Price Check” app, which lets customers check prices of products on retailer store shelves. Target has accused Amazon of using “our brick-and-mortar stores as a showroom.”'

 

When are the Feds (or a solid union of States) going to demand that Amazon et al stop unfairly undercutting local businesses by dodging taxes?

Not to mention that these are state revenues that are desperately needed since the Feds' austerity has killed local services.

We're eating our seed grain by destroying our infrastructure.

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, the link that he provided is very clear and claims that 9 M Kindle Fires were sold in the first 2 quarters (ending March 31, 2012). That's a long ways from 30 M.


And even that number is a bit suspect. Amazon does not publish information by model. As near as I can tell, the number is derived by estimating the total Kindle sales and assuming some percentage are Fires - and not accounting for returns or units left on the store shelf. Keep in mind that the initial period will always have some number of units that simply create stock on store shelves. To get the correct numbers for a startup product, you need to subtract channel inventory. The same is true for iPad, of course, but since it's an established product with units already on the shelves, you only need to count the INCREASE in channel inventory. Since the new iPad was still in short supply at the end of the 1st quarter, that number was probably insignificant (or even reduced the estimates of total sales - since stores are probably reducing iPad 2 inventory numbers).

Considering those factors, I'd guess that the Kindle Fire sales have been closer to 7 M than to 9 M over the 2 quarters.

If we can believe the new IDG numbers, Amazon sold 4.8 million the first quarter, and between 700-750 thousand the second, which would make a maximum total of 5.5 million.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

lol.gif

 

(btw, I can only see the laughing emoticon in huddler pop up, strange, are others getting this?)

Strange, I see the one you used but none of the others if I go to try & add one of my own.  Very goofy.

post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

Yes, this is a smart decision.   I have a Nook Color, and I love it!  It's simply one of the best products ever.

 

 

IronTed 

Supreme Commander of the Galactic Republic

 

I know right, I don't know what it is either. It's not feature rich or fast but the battery lasts almost 9 hours, it's light and really well built and the IPS screen is very vibrant. I still use mine everyday as my main eReader. I want to grab the tablet version one of these days.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Target to stop selling Amazon Kindle products in favor of iPad, Nook
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Target to stop selling Amazon Kindle products in favor of iPad, Nook