or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back

Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back - Page 2

post #41 of 103

This sounds like the same stories we have already heard wrapped into a new package with new mockups (are they new mockups even?); where is the news?

post #42 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

If it is any taller, it will not fit into a pocket.

Right. But a 5-7" Android device is just fine, right?

/s

Why not ask somebody who has said something like that?   Why ask someone who has never said anything like that?

Try something new.  Actually respond to what is said, rather than fantasies about things that have never been said.

post #43 of 103

I am going to clear up some misconceptions.  When Apple says that it is using Gorilla Glass, it's not.  Gorillas don't have anything to do with the making of glass, that would violate animal rights. It's really transparent aluminum.  They've been using it for years.  They just had to work on making resistant to cracking, that's all.

Liquid metal?  All metals turn into liquid when they are heated to a certain temperature, so there is nothing new there either.

I also highly doubt there are going to use Thunderbolt connectors as the new charging connector, it would make the phone too expensive.

post #44 of 103

I would like to see Apple implementing 802.11ac in their iPhones as well as the rest of the product line.  That would certainly improve wireless transmission of 24/96 audio and 1080p video.  I am sure that 802.11ac will be filtering out into the market over the next year since that is the latest WiFi specification.

post #45 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxing85 View Post

Why thinner. I think the phone as it is now is thin enough. keep the same depth and increase the battery size. I'm sure this next phone will support 4g LTE, why not make a longer running battery. Besides that ever held an ipod touch to you head to see how a thin phone would not be comfortable. I just dont understand the push for thin, seems like something that seems nice but in practice it stops making sense at a certain point... anyone?

You don't get Apple....

post #46 of 103

I'd be completely cool with this. 4" sounds reasonable.

post #47 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
I also highly doubt there are going to use Thunderbolt connectors as the new charging connector, it would make the phone too expensive.

Not to mention it's the amps that kill you.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #48 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolivier View Post

Absolutely, Rather a thicker iPhone with a better battery life. Don't need/want a thinner device.

Instead of making it thinner, use the 2mm for a bigger battery.

I have enough of charging the iDevice twice a day, enough !

Enough of buying/carrying a battery pack !

If Apple wants to conquer the business world, the battery must hold at least the whole day of intensive use.

Got it ?

Anyone ?

Got it.

I am sure Apple will give your advice serious consideration, since the current iPhone is hurting for sales! lol.gif

post #49 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You don't get Apple....

Yeah. Apple would never release a thicker next generation product just to get a bigger battery in it. /s

post #50 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total carp. I mean, what the halibut. I'm not going to waste my time dissecting why this is a bad rumor. I'm no sturgeon.

Fish joke?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #51 of 103

I don't want it thinner.  It is already uncomfortably thin as it is.  I actually use a case to give it a thicker profile for a better grip.  I would rather they used that 2mm to double the battery life.  Phones don't last long enough when you start using GPS features.  I figured Apple would get that by now with the iPad's long battery life.

post #52 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...giving it dimensions of 125 millimeters tall, 5.8 millimeters wide and 7.4 millimeters thick. 

So they'll be calling it the iPhone Stick?

post #53 of 103
Quote:Samsung-Galaxy-Note.jpg

Shame that graphic doesn't list the Samsung Galaxy Note's performance (with it's dual core 1.4Ghz CPU and gorgeous 5.3" screen!).

post #54 of 103

Dedicated ad space?

One way this could work is if the usable area for apps stayed the same as in the current phone - with the extra vertical space in the screen used either for a dedicated soft button area, or a dedicated ad area.  Either could actually be a benefit; some apps are a pain to use / read when they have multiple ad and menu banners taking up valuable screen space.

post #55 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxing85 View Post

Why thinner. 

Thinner is the only one of the rumors that might be true. IF the glass is just as strong but thinner then I could see it not lipping out over the metal band as much. Shave 1mm off each piece and there's the loss they are talking about. With no change in the internal space. 

the dock connector I think they will do at some point but likely not until syncing only by wifi is more dominant. then the connector only has to deal with charging. But then why not just go mini usb like the EU would love to force them into (rather than an adaptor like they use now). or even thunderbolt. Hell that could probably do the power and the syncing. course they have to get the price down and get thunderbolt on windows machines etc but at some point it could go that way

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #56 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvarezLuis View Post

Shame that graphic doesn't list the Samsung Galaxy Note's performance (with it's dual core 1.4Ghz CPU and gorgeous 5.3" screen!).

Yes, we get it, you're anti-Apple. You're just another tick on the list, nothing special. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Dedicated ad space?

I hate your future. Because while Apple will never do this, Google will read your post and get bright ideas.

post #57 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I heard that the next iphone will be spherical, covered in fur, and carried for you by your own personal pixie.

I heard the next iPhone is your own personal pixie. powered by unicorn tears and dragon farts

post #58 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Total carp. I mean, what the halibut. I'm not going to waste my time dissecting why this is a bad rumor. I'm no sturgeon.

I dedicate this to you 

post #59 of 103

Bigger screen I think will still fit in pockets. Apple was hesitant to increase the size not because of that, but because they wanted to insist on 3.5 inches in order to make one hand operation easy even for people with relatively small hands (such as some women). I think they are researching the possibility of 4.0 inch due to market pressure, but then they would need more resolution to make it "retina" 300dpi. The aspect ratio may change to 3:4 which would make it more square rather than wider screen. By doing this, they can line up to the iPad resolutions, making many apps still compatible at 1024x768. They can then make multiples of that their standard resolution. Its a long shot theory, but it could happen...

I do not believe they will switch dock connectors though. In the end, the current one is still pretty good and is widespread enough that they would not want to lose that. If they switch, it would only make sense to switch to micro USB just IMHO. I'd say this IS being tested internally, but won't make it to final product. At least not anytime soon. Just my 2 cents.

post #60 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I dedicate this to you

Point made. I'll lay off the puns for a while. lol.gif

post #61 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

A 15" (inch) increase is HUGE!  The iPad isn't even 15"

You meant to say 15mm increase...

I agree with you that the resolution can remain the same with a slight decrease in pixel density would be just fine.

Sorry - I meant 15% larger.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #62 of 103
Quote:

If it has a new aspect ratio, then all the software will need to be rewritten.

If it has a new dock connector, then all existing accessories are obsolete.

I am glad youre not working at Apple, I dont want Apple doing the same as RIM and think there first design is prefect.  Apple is lagging on the phone hardware side, they need to come out with something better and new or they will start to decline.

None of the those points makes sense to me, its all small details. Smartphone are being use a lot to browse the web on the go, a 3.5" screen thick phone like the current models are years behind in design... Apple need to innovate or die.

Imagine a new phone with the same design but with 4g LTE and a faster CPU.  Whats the point of that? What the hell are you going to do on a 3.5" screen with super fast internet connection and that processor power? whats the point of upgrading from the 4s to that? it makes no sense at all.

The "I can dial with one hand" mentality is stalling them to the point they are missing the bigger picture of what users are doing with smartphones. One model do not fit all, they MUST come out with at least 2 models or lose part of the market.

Edited by herbapou - 5/3/12 at 10:02am
post #63 of 103
I suspect the extra pixels at the top will be used for a redesigned notification centre and status bar. The part of the screen devoted to apps will remain the same, but notifications will slide over the larger status bar meaning they don't get in the way of your apps.
post #64 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
Apple is lagging on the phone hardware side… 

The fastest phone on the market is "lagging"?

Quote:

…3.5" screen thick phone like the current models are years behind in design… 

Which explains why the three year old model sells better than any phone not "years behind in design", of course.

Quote:

Imagine a new phone with the same design but with 4g LTE and a faster CPU.  Whats the point of that?

It's faster in every way imaginable. If you don't see a point, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote:
What the hell are you going to do on a 3.5" screen with super fast internet connection and that processor power?

Use any of the 600,000 apps in the App Store, I'd imagine. What kind of foolish question was that?

Quote:
whats the point of upgrading from the 4s to that? it makes no sense at all.

What gives you the idea that people update yearly? What gives you the idea that Apple is targeting that market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvarezLuis View Post
Correct, Apple screws it's customers, that's why I'm anti-Apple.

So why in the world are you here? Notice the website name?

Quote:

But I'm anti-iPhone because it is not the best smartphone out there for everybody.

No smartphone is. You're anti-everysinglephone, then. You have no argument.

Quote:

It's got a great, intuitive, simple user interface for Tom, Dick, and Harry, but it's waaay too limited for people with an IQ of over 12.4.

Just go away, really. 

Quote:

The Samsung Galaxy Note is a better choice with its dual core 1.4Ghz CPU, its configureability, and its gorgeous 5.3" Super Amoled screen for people who know what they are doing.

Subjective crap. Either prove this or we'll just keep laughing.

Quote:

"Apple will never do this"...?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Either you're extremely naive, or you're a bald faced liar.

Yep. I'm a liar. Now prove me wrong. Show me the permanent ad space that Apple has on every single device they sell. Show me the ad services they force us to see when using every application they make and every product the sell.

Ah, that's right, isn't it?

Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/3/12 at 10:04am

post #65 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

I don't want it thinner.  It is already uncomfortably thin as it is.  I actually use a case to give it a thicker profile for a better grip.  I would rather they used that 2mm to double the battery life.  Phones don't last long enough when you start using GPS features.  I figured Apple would get that by now with the iPad's long battery life.

They need oled to improved battery life.  I hope Apple really innovate this time. Siri is the only reason they got away with the 4S.  imo they know it and this is why we are starting to see iphone 5 leaks, the new iphone is coming out in the summer.

Edited by herbapou - 5/3/12 at 10:18am
post #66 of 103

AlvarezLuis is banned. 

I don't hang out on Android board and spew out my hatred for all things Android.  Dissenting opinion is ok but if you hate Apple and the products from Apple there's little point in being a part of this community. 

We have Android fans here and that's fine. They offer a unique approach to mobile phone OS that many of us do not know and many have thick skin (most of the time ...wink AbsoluteD)  but Alvarez has overstepped the boundaries of mutual respect.  

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #67 of 103

Seriously you are beginning to sound like "grampa likes its old couch the way it is and doesnt want to change it" 

I have the 4s and I dont see the point of either having a faster processor or faster internet connection... Its does makes sense on the new ipad because it has apps and a browser than can actually use the increase power to do something with it.

anyway get ready to see more and more new iphone leaks before the summer as production ramps up.

BTW the new forum is much slower than the old one.  Its fine on my iMac at home, but on my windowns machine at work is very very laggy.

Edited by herbapou - 5/3/12 at 10:35am
post #68 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yeah. Apple would never release a thicker next generation product just to get a bigger battery in it. /s

You don't get Apple either, so give up.

post #69 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

AlvarezLuis is banned. 

I don't hang out on Android board and spew out my hatred for all things Android.  Dissenting opinion is ok but if you hate Apple and the products from Apple there's little point in being a part of this community. 

We have Android fans here and that's fine. They offer a unique approach to mobile phone OS that many of us do not know and many have thick skin (most of the time ...wink AbsoluteD)  but Alvarez has overstepped the boundaries of mutual respect.  

When someone comes right out and states they are anti-Apple... then there isn't much point in having them here.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #70 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I dedicate this to you 

That was O-fish-ily The finny-ist! Tanks!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #71 of 103
Quote:
Seriously you are beginning to sound like "grampa likes its old couch the way it is and doesnt want to change it" 

I desire a faster processor, faster Internet access, and a better all-around device and you don't see the point to any of that and I'm the barmy old codger? lol.gif

Quote:

I have the 4s and I dont see the point of either having a faster processor or faster internet connection... Its does makes sense on the new ipad because it has apps and a browser than can actually use the increase power to do something with it.

And the… iPhone and iPod touch don't, somehow?

Quote:

anyway get ready to see more and more new iphone leaks before the summer as production ramps up.

I sort of hope so, but I also don't. Leak the new cases of the MacBook Pro. Leak the new Mac Pro case, even! That'd be huge! But I think the iPhone should remain a mystery.

post #72 of 103
Quote:

They need oled to improved battery life.  I hope Apple really innovate this time. Siri is the only reason they got away with the 4S.  imo they know it and this is why we are starting to see iphone 5 leaks, the new iphone is coming out in the summer.

Just curious - which planet do you live on? Siri is the only reason they got away with the 4S? It's got a faster processor, LTE, faster GPU, much better camera, and even better antenna. In fact, the case is about the only thing that HASN'T been improved.

Oh, and btw, if your logic is correct, they must not sell any iPhone 4s models in countries where Siri doesn't work. Right?

Quote:

Fortunately, you're not designing Apple's products. Many people happen to think that a faster processor, faster internet connection, better camera and new features are more important than changing the case. In fact, outside of Apple-haters and 'journalists', your view is in the distinct minority.

Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #73 of 103

To people claiming Apple would never change the aspect ratio:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/9/2937265/the-4-inch-iphone-5

I still believe that either what we have now (with greatly decreased bezel area) or a stretched-out 3.8" 300ppi screen are both more likely, but I would mind that solution either.

What I would mind, though, is having the phone as tall as that particular mockup from the article. The iPhone 4/S already feels quite tall... we really don't need it to be taller. I mean, the aspect ratio change would sort of demand it, but the mockup implies that Apple didn't even try to make the screen occupy a larger area of the front of the device. And that back... no. Just no. I'd even go as far as suggesting they'll use ceramic or whatnot, but not that.

Oh, and I'd like to see the removal of the physical home button. touch sensitive area, please.

The hardware is not what fascinates me most, though. I'm dying to know whether Apple will revamp the iOS interface (even if just aesthetically). If they don't, well, I'll get depressed until they do or Microsoft fixes up Windows Phone (I'm betting it'll die before that happens...)

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #74 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"According to our source, Apple will make one major change to the rear casing, adding a metal panel to the central back of the new iPhone," the report said. 

Looks terrible IMHO.  Don't like the 2-tone look, and I'm not sure how strong and water-tight the two glass-to-metal joints would be.  I'd prefer a completely metal back, preferably a wrap-around so it would be seamless up to the front touch panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the report also claimed that the next iPhone will have a new, smaller dock connector that will be "a little larger" than the bottom speaker and microphone ports on the existing iPhone 4S.

Oh well.  I'm still hoping for a MagSafe dock connector. iPhone first, then iPad next year.  Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #75 of 103
Quote:

If it has a new aspect ratio, then all the software will need to be rewritten.

If it has a new dock connector, then all existing accessories are obsolete.

A slightly taller iPhone would still be smaller than most Android and Windows phones.

Having said that I see no reason for Apple to lengthen the iPhone as much as envisioned in the above article to accommodate a longer screen. The amount of iPhone body above and below the screen is huge compared with pretty much any other phone on the market.

A new aspect ratio is unlikely, but if it's larger in only one dimension it would allow Apple to stick new UI into the additional space and leave 640x960 available for apps. New apps could be written to toggle the additional OS level UI and make use of the extra space. Apps already have to respect the fact that Apple inserts a second status bar when the user is on a call or tethered. Having a "permanent" space for such notifications that doesn't intrude on the normal 640x960 app zone would probably make life simpler for app developers than it is today.

I really question the round dock connector though. Round is the wrong shape for thin devices.

post #76 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post
A new aspect ratio is unlikely, but if it's larger in only one dimension it would allow Apple to stick new UI into the additional space and leave 640x960 available for apps. New apps could be written to toggle the additional OS level UI and make use of the extra space. Apps already have to respect the fact that Apple inserts a second status bar when the user is on a call or tethered.

Ooh! You've given me an idea. Not that I subscribe to the idea of a changed ratio in the slightest, but if it WAS simply extended, that extra space could go to an omnipresent… ah, no, that's idiotic. I was going to say omnipresent Multitasking Bar, but you'd hit it all the time. And then I was going to say, "and the background of the Bar changes to green, red, or blue depending on if you're on call, recording, or tethering."

But what Apple COULD do… I just don't know how it'd look. I'm sure it would work just fine, but in terms of… anyway:

A single pixel line at the top of the UI that changes to green, blue, or red for those statuses. Something like that is intrusive enough that you know at a glance what is going on when you are looking for it and subtle enough to not really be noticed if you're not looking for it. I think.

post #77 of 103

The aspect ratio may remain the same with the extra screen area being used as a dynamic button to replace the mechanical home button on there today.

post #78 of 103

Additional comment on the "it has to be the same size" argument.

I live in a city with a large east Asian population. I see tiny women on the bus/train every day holding large Android phones in one hand. Go to phone-size.com and plug in the iPhone 4, Galaxy S II and Galaxy S II LTE to see just how much bigger they are.

Many of the Asian women with iPhones have encased them in truly enormous silicone things that make the overall dimensions up to twice the size of the phone itself. Think 3" long pink bunny ears and giant "Space Invaders" style characters.

Clearly small size isn't nearly as important as Apple seems to think.

post #79 of 103

metal panel and 4"? pretty neat to me!  i'm excited for this! i hope they'll release it soon! :O

post #80 of 103

agreed. of all the changes absolutely necessary to keep up with advancing tech... improved battery life is highest priority, IMO.  although given the limited changes we got in the 4s release, there has to be some cosmetic differences as well.

"Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works." - Steve Jobs

Hayley

http://www.iphoneweekly.com

Eternal Apple Fan

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back