or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back

Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back - Page 3

post #81 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You don't get Apple either, so give up.

I do, but let's not talk about me. Do you have anything on topic to contribute to the thread?

post #82 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Additional comment on the "it has to be the same size" argument.

I live in a city with a large east Asian population. I see tiny women on the bus/train every day holding large Android phones in one hand. Go to phone-size.com and plug in the iPhone 4, Galaxy S II and Galaxy S II LTE to see just how much bigger they are.

Many of the Asian women with iPhones have encased them in truly enormous silicone things that make the overall dimensions up to twice the size of the phone itself. Think 3" long pink bunny ears and giant "Space Invaders" style characters.

Clearly small size isn't nearly as important as Apple seems to think.

That's undoubtedly why the #1, #2, and #3 phones in terms of sales were all iPhones for most of the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

\What I would mind, though, is having the phone as tall as that particular mockup from the article. The iPhone 4/S already feels quite tall... we really don't need it to be taller. 

Huh? The iPhone is one of the shortest full-featured phones out there.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #83 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Dedicated ad space?

I hate your future. Because while Apple will never do this, Google will read your post and get bright ideas.

Believe me, I hate ads.  Use an ad blocker on my PC, and hate the way they interfere with what I'm trying to do on my iPhone or iPad.  But they're not going to go away, so I'd rather have them shunted into dedicated ad land (which, BTW, you could cover up to ignore) than have them floating over news text or a game image.

post #84 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am glad youre not working at Apple, I dont want Apple doing the same as RIM and think there first design is prefect.  Apple is lagging on the phone hardware side, they need to come out with something better and new or they will start to decline.

None of the those points makes sense to me, its all small details. Smartphone are being use a lot to browse the web on the go, a 3.5" screen thick phone like the current models are years behind in design... Apple need to innovate or die.

Imagine a new phone with the same design but with 4g LTE and a faster CPU.  Whats the point of that? What the hell are you going to do on a 3.5" screen with super fast internet connection and that processor power? whats the point of upgrading from the 4s to that? it makes no sense at all.

The "I can dial with one hand" mentality is stalling them to the point they are missing the bigger picture of what users are doing with smartphones. One model do not fit all, they MUST come out with at least 2 models or lose part of the market.

It kind of makes you wonder why iOS devices dominate all the web usage based statistics there are.

btw, I see the Galaxy S III has added HDR like the almost 2 year old iPhone 4 and GLONASS support like the iPhone 4S.

So what was that about being behind?

Edited by hill60 - 5/3/12 at 1:10pm
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #85 of 103

Any screen size smaller than 4.5 inches is not competitive.

post #86 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Any screen size smaller than 4.5 inches is not competitive.

Which explains why the iPhone is nowhere in the rankings of top-selling phones.

Oh, wait...

Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #87 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which explains why the iPhone is nowhere in the rankings of top-selling phones.

Oh, wait...

The iPhone is not the top selling smartphone, the Android phone is. Apple fan boys just cannot see that simple fact.

post #88 of 103

I hope they come out with a bigger screen, otherwise I am gone. I am tired of the tiny display of the iphone. 

post #89 of 103
Quote:
The iPhone is not the top selling smartphone, the Android phone is. Apple fan boys just cannot see that simple fact.

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Holy cow, no image limit! Now I can finally express just how hilariously wrong I find that statement to be!

Quote:
I hope they come out with a bigger screen, otherwise I am gone. I am tired of the tiny display of the iphone. 

So what are you planning to buy this fall, then? 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #90 of 103
At what point do we info Peter236 that an OS does not a phone make.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #91 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
At what point do we info Peter236 that an OS does not a phone make.

There are some things in this world where we have to allow nature to take its course.

post #92 of 103
Quote:

ROTFLMAO.

Which Android phone outsells the iPhone?

Hint: the answer is 'none of them'.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile-phone/3339922/report-apples-iphone-4-was-most-purchased-smartphone-in-2011/

#1, #2, and #3 were the 3 different Apple iPhones in 2011. Since then, I believe that one Android phone moved into the top 3, but the iPhone 4S is still #1.

Your silly "I'll add together all the different Android phones from all vendors and they exceed the Apple iPhone" ploy is silly. That's like saying that the Toyota Camry is a terrible chose because all American cars added together outsell the Camry.

Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #93 of 103

Maybe no dock connector at all, a charge pad, and 100% wireless sync?

post #94 of 103

Ah the old quantity is better than quality routine.....boring.

post #95 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Maybe no dock connector at all, a charge pad, and 100% wireless sync?

I sure hope not. Wired syncing over USB is slow enough, but to make it only WiFi would just make that a disaster. Consider when the capacity doubles again, too. 802.11ac for mobile devices (when it arrives) won't mitigate that jump in storage.

Then consider the time it will take to charge the device. People were already up in arms that a considerably larger iPad (3) battery actually took longer to charge. Then consider the inefficient nature of a charge pad and how that will lower Apple's "green" initiative. I can see Green Peace being all over that.

post #96 of 103
They should keep the phone the same size as it is now, but extend the screen to the edges and more to the top/bottom to get a 4" screen in there. I don't want a larger phone. Just a bigger screen. Move the button down a bit and the speaker and front camera up to the top. This adds lots of room for screen.

And we need lots of battery!!! Especially for 4G
post #97 of 103

If any of this is true, they are going in the wrong direction for me.

I want things like waterproof, dust proof, stronger, even better camera (with internal zoom), even longer battery life, even more memory, even better aerial, etc.

Not thinner. It's plenty thin, thanks. 

post #98 of 103
But... with an even taller screen like that, using it in horizontal orientation will be even less useful. I think for it to be more useful in both orientations it needs proportions more like the iPad.
post #99 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Holy cow, no image limit! Now I can finally express just how hilariously wrong I find that statement to be!

So what are you planning to buy this fall, then? 

I don't believe people who post stuff like that on the forums. If they were serious, they'd go and buy a humongous screen quad-boner phone and problem solved. Getting on the Internet and complaining about how Apple doesn't cater to their geek niche is going to have zero impact.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #100 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

But... with an even taller screen like that, using it in horizontal orientation will be even less useful. I think for it to be more useful in both orientations it needs proportions more like the iPad.

You may be interested in the LG Optimus Vu then; it has exactly the aspect ratio and resolution of the iPad.

I think the longphone mockup is nice, but ideally more of the front area should be taken up by the screen. Currently, only about 57% of the iPhone front panel is LCD; comparable high-end devices have screens covering about 70%, allowing them to fit a much larger screen into an only slightly bigger body.

post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Sadly, no matter how amazing the new 6th generation phone is, if the 7th generation uses the same form factor, many in this forum will throw a huge tantrum like they did with the iPhone 4S.

I don't think so. Everyone should be well versed in Apple's product cycle at this point.

New iteration, followed by an "S" model the next year. This model works well for Apple in terms of cost, logistics, and for support from accessory makers. I don't expect this model to change either. It also fits well for two year contract upgrades.

post #102 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

You may be interested in the LG Optimus Vu then; it has exactly the aspect ratio and resolution of the iPad.

I think the longphone mockup is nice, but ideally more of the front area should be taken up by the screen. Currently, only about 57% of the iPhone front panel is LCD; comparable high-end devices have screens covering about 70%, allowing them to fit a much larger screen into an only slightly bigger body.

Yeah, there is definitely room to fit a bigger screen into virtually the same phone.
I've noticed a lot of people prefer typing in horizontal mode.
What orientation do you guyz prefer to type?
I'm vertical.
What would an even wider keyboard feel like?
And.. no thanks to the Optimus. I prefer iOS. ;-)
post #103 of 103

I'll take the far side of the speculation. Two iPhones. One 3.5-3.8" with the same resolution as now. That's the largest they can go without losing their self-imposed retina definition. And one that bumps it to 4.8" at 1280 x 1920 just to be the baddest phone on the block. Starting at $299 with contract.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhone will be 2mm thinner with 4" screen, metal back