or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen - Page 6

post #201 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

 

We always need a hardware 'out'.

No you don't an on screen home button is just as good.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #202 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Siri is truly amazing but I'm not a fan of talking to my devices.
That's exactly what you do when you use the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It's not only that it's open it's that it also has many features that are found in a normal OS.
Like that desktop OS cursor that appears. A perfectly reasonable thing for a touchbased OS¡

It's absolutely insane (I mean that literally) that one would think that features of a desktop OS make perfect sense without regard for the I/O. There is a reason Windows never worked on tablets for the 2 decades they existed before the iPad came to market.

PS: You've been using Internet forums long enough to understand how to use the multiquote button.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #203 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
No you don't an on screen home button is just as good.

 

No, not in the slightest. What do you plan to do when the software locks up? Sit there and wait for your battery to die?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #204 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not in the slightest. What do you plan to do when the software locks up? Sit there and wait for your battery to die?
QFT

I have a feeling Relic's original complain against the iPhone was that a software keyboard wasn't as good as a hardware keyboard.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #205 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not in the slightest. What do you plan to do when the software locks up? Sit there and wait for your battery to die?

Oh that's right iOS takes over the entire screen. Android always displays the virtual buttons and it runs outside the scope of the application. You can hide them but their always present. The entire system would have to freeze up for the on screen buttons not to work.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #206 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

QFT
I have a feeling Relic's original complain against the iPhone was that a software keyboard wasn't as good as a hardware keyboard.

Actually I hated all phones that didn't have a real keyboard until I got an iPhone. Before Apple, I always used a Nokia Communicator then RIM Blackberry's. I only recently moved on to Android when my company got me a Note.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #207 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Oh that's right iOS takes over the entire screen. Android always displays the virtual buttons and it runs outside the scope of the application. You can hide them but their always present. The entire system would have to freeze up for the on screen buttons not to work.


And THERE it is, ladies and gentlemen, the cheap shot at iOS that she ALWAYS takes in EVERY conversation. It's as though she's programmed to never be civil.

 

And for the record, not "taking over the entire screen" is idiotic. Because not all versions of Android do that, so devs not only have to build for different resolutions and screen ratios, they have to build for magical software buttons that aren't always there.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #208 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Your question was how, I tell you that I have thumb access to every part of that 4.65 big screen with my rather tiny 19 cm/7.5 inches long hands, webcam shot demonstrating that attached to close the topic. :)

 

galaxy_nexus.jpg

 

 

Notice how much your hand position had to shift to use different parts of the phone. I can use my iPhone without having to shift it at all.

 

Besides, what you fail to realize is that it's not a 'one size fits all' situation. Everyone has their own needs and wants and will choose the phone that works better for them. And the facts are that the percentage of phones purchased with a 4.5" and up screen is relatively small.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #209 of 257
hQuote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


And THERE it is, ladies and gentlemen, the cheap shot at iOS that she ALWAYS takes in EVERY conversation. It's as though she's programmed to never be civil.

 

And for the record, not "taking over the entire screen" is idiotic. Because not all versions of Android do that, so devs not only have to build for different resolutions and screen ratios, they have to build for magical software buttons that aren't always there.

Actually I didn't mean anything by it, iOS apps do take over the entire space because there is a hardware button. I was truly being civil. And the Android on screen buttons are always, always visible unless you the user change it to hide. Oh and I think you are the one blowing this way out of proportion. I have written many programs for Android, it's been long time since you had to dictate any specific resolution, since 2.3, most/all programmers now write there programs to have scalable resolutions. How do you think the Samsung SII (800x600), SIII(1280x720) and Note(1280x800) which have completely different resolutions can display every single software in the Google Market without any problems or pixelation. There are no magic buttons that need to be programmed in to each app, that is just silly, the desktop button, go back one button and menu button, let it be hardware or on screen based can always, always, always be reached from any app, their is global UI class that runs them.


Edited by Relic - 5/5/12 at 9:36am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #210 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
And the Android on screen buttons are always, always visible unless you the user change it to hide.

 

Okay, from what version on, then? I admit I haven't kept up on playing with the newest versions recently, but that wasn't the case in 3.0, at least. Or whatever Gingerbread was supposed to be.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #211 of 257

Gingerbread was 2.3x

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #212 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View PostBesides, what you fail to realize is that it's not a 'one size fits all' situation. Everyone has their own needs and wants and will choose the phone that works better for them. And the facts are that the percentage of phones purchased with a 4.5" and up screen is relatively small.

One recent study from Strategy Analytics says 90% of current smartphone owners want a larger screened device than they currently have (as long as they're still thin), with the sweet spot being 4-4.5".

 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

 

http://************/2012/03/14/study-smartphone-owners-demand-bigger-screens-prefer-4-inches/

 

EDIT: Seems AI isn't allowing links to 9to5Mac? Tried a couple of times, but get asterisks replacing 9to5mac. ???


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/5/12 at 9:40am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #213 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The entire system would have to freeze up for the on screen buttons not to work.

You are acting like no one here has any android experiance. The entire OS freezing and needing to have the battery pulled out is the status quo for android. No point in stating otherwise because I know this to be true all too well.
post #214 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post


You are acting like no one here has any android experience. The entire OS freezing and needing to have the battery pulled out is the status quo for android. No point in stating otherwise because I know this to be true all too well.

 

Then you haven't been buying the right phones, I have never had to remove a battery to restart my phone, ever! A stable system is very easy to obtain in Android, only use apps that are well programmed, easy to find when you read reviews. Never visit shady sites to obtain free software and don't install tweak software.

 

Like Windows when you buy a cheap device to run the system it will not run properly as many manufactures cut corners and don't care about optimizing the OS. I guarantee if you bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is now very reasonable to purchase you will have a very stable system.

 

I run a custom ROM based off of CM9 with a kernel that I optimized and even running this system that is very far from stock I have a very stable system, it's even been overclocked from 1.4GHZ to 1.7GHZ. Which phone did you own, was it made in the last two years.

 

The iPhone is a no brainer purchase because you know what your getting. Android phones unfortunately are mostly crap, about 3/4 of them. However, if you do your research, visit the corporate help sites, you will find a phone that rivals the iPhone and may even surpass it. This is kind of geeky but I have been testing Ubuntu's new mobile OS, it turns your phone into a desktop system. It works, it's very quick, I can run my development software on it and even a full version of OpenOffice. I just insert my Note into it's cradle that's connected to a 22" monitor via HDMI and keyboard and mouse via bluetooth. This is why I like owning Android phones, their opened, I can make them into the system that I want. Not to mention that they are a blast to own, to customize, to push them to do things that are not possible on other systems. 

 

iOS is a beautiful, stable, boring, closed OS. You must follow the Apple way or the highway. So far from what OSX gave me, I have a powerful Unix terminal with all of my nix stuff and I am still able to run all of the normal desktop applications. I don't hate iOS I just cant do half of the things I can do with the Android system, things I want to do and yes they are very far from the normal scope of usage.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #215 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT: Seems AI isn't allowing links to 9to5Mac? Tried a couple of times, but get asterisks replacing 9to5mac. ???

I assume a URL shortener would resolve that. I doubt their filter will look at long URL destination before submitting your post.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #216 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

http://************/2012/03/14/study-smartphone-owners-demand-bigger-screens-prefer-4-inches/

 

EDIT: Seems AI isn't allowing links to 9to5Mac? Tried a couple of times, but get asterisks replacing 9to5mac. ???

 

This is the first I've seen or heard of it.  I asked in the moderator forum, hopefully I'll hear back on it.  I requested they don't do that.  It's a competing site, but I think it's unnecessary.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I assume a URL shortener would resolve that. I doubt their filter will look at long URL destination before submitting your post.

 

For the time being, it should get around the problem.  The problem is I tend to refrain from clicking shortened URLs, I imagine other people are leery of it too.

post #217 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Gingerbread was 2.3x

Gee. That means that almost half of the phones have whatever feature you were talking about. Inability to upgrade Android phones is well documented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

One recent study from Strategy Analytics says 90% of current smartphone owners want a larger screened device than they currently have (as long as they're still thin), with the sweet spot being 4-4.5".

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

[URL=http:/2012/03/14/study-smartphone-owners-demand-bigger-screens-prefer-4-inches/]http://************/2012/03/14/study-smartphone-owners-demand-bigger-screens-prefer-4-inches/[/URL]

EDIT: Seems AI isn't allowing links to 9to5Mac? Tried a couple of times, but get asterisks replacing 9to5mac. ???

Let's see - who to believe?
- An unknown market research company who does some kind of survey with unknown methodology and unknown sample
or
- The fact that the #1, #2, and #3 phones in the world last year were 3.5" - and the top two still are.

Sorry, but I'll go with what people are actually buying.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #218 of 257
I think it's also worth pointing out that even actual Android fans are panning this phone.

Meanwhile, the iPhone gets criticized more by people who don't even use one. Look at the fake reviews 'I'm a zzz' did for the iPhone (see 'Recent Reviews' below). I don't believe for a minute that he's got either of those phones, much less both.

I can understand why a fan of a product would post comments about a product they like on a fan site for that product like AI.

I can understand why someone who has actually used a product would post reasonable comments on a fan site for that product.

What I can't understand is what kind of mental illness would make someone spend countless hours on a fan site when they don't like a product, never used a product and are happy to admit that there's no way in the world they'd ever use a product. They have some unreasonable, unfounded hatred for the company or its products and spew endless venom on fan sites for that product - just out of spite. Yet there are a number of people who fit that bill here.

Unless they're being paid for spreading their FUD, they really need to seek professional help.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #219 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I assume a URL shortener would resolve that. I doubt their filter will look at long URL destination before submitting your post.


I think we'd rather have real links than URL shorteners. We're looking into the censoring problem now and we'll certainly fix it, but I think it's going to come out that URL shortening sites will be censored while all real URLs will be allowed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #220 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think we'd rather have real links than URL shorteners. We're looking into the censoring problem now and we'll certainly fix it, but I think it's going to come out that URL shortening sites will be censored while all real URLs will be allowed.

Sounds reasonable.

Off topic: One thing that I'm surprised we haven't seen with internet forums are award-based posting abilities. IOW, as you participate on a site your trust on that site starts to grow. With this you get options for using certain markup text, adding images or videos, et al. It could also be used to give you badges (like in FourSquare) that would further encourage more users to post and to post in responsible ways that would benefit the site in every sense. For instance, those that get x-many posts recommended as helpful would get t Thumbs Up badge and with so many certain badges you could get a reqard like full HTML markup instead of limited BB Code Edit markup.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #221 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
Let's see - who to believe?
- An unknown market research company who does some kind of survey with unknown methodology and unknown sample

They may be unknown to you, and not unsurprisingly. There's no reason you would have had to use them. As an mobile and automotive industry research source they're pretty well known and oft-quoted. I've read their reports before via press releases or while doing research on LBS business and issues. 


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/5/12 at 4:17pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #222 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Sounds reasonable.
Off topic: One thing that I'm surprised we haven't seen with internet forums are award-based posting abilities. IOW, as you participate on a site your trust on that site starts to grow. With this you get options for using certain markup text, adding images or videos, et al. It could also be used to give you badges (like in FourSquare) that would further encourage more users to post and to post in responsible ways that would benefit the site in every sense. For instance, those that get x-many posts recommended as helpful would get t Thumbs Up badge and with so many certain badges you could get a reqard like full HTML markup instead of limited BB Code Edit markup.

We've tried that with one of the forums I moderate, giving trusted posters a special icon alongside their name. They're also the only ones we allow to still PM other members, and live-links to internet retailers are somewhat tolerated from them (as long as no affiliate link), tho still not encouraged. We even have a special "experts" area restricted to trusted members.

 

EDIT: I just read an article that may explain the reason behind the design changes with this Samsung Galaxy compared to the last two. Is it a phone designed by lawyers?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/05/04/the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-the-first-smartphone-designed-entirely-by-lawyers/


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/5/12 at 4:35pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #223 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They may be unknown to you, and not unsurprisingly. There's no reason you would have had to use them. As an mobile and automotive industry research source they're pretty well known and oft-quoted. I've read their reports before via press releases or while doing research on LBS business and issues. 

As usual, you've managed to miss the point.

You have a market research firm saying that most customers prefer larger phones - yet the majority are buying smaller phones. The 4.5" and up phones are only about 10-20% of the market, IIRC. Given the fact that only a minority are buying the large phones, why should we believe that market research firm?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #224 of 257

That's not was was said in the first place. The survey results offered that buyers would prefer a larger screen on their next smartphone. Since Apple doesn't offer one any larger then Apple buyers don't have a choice of a larger display. Given the choice I have little doubt that most would appreciate one closer to 4" (or larger). Changing the argument to something that suits you better doesn't invalidate the claim made by Strategy Analytics.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #225 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's not was was said in the first place. The survey results offered that buyers would prefer a larger screen on their next smartphone. Since Apple doesn't offer one any larger then Apple buyers don't have a choice of a larger display. Given the choice I have little doubt that most would appreciate one closer to 4" (or larger). Changing the argument to something that suits you better doesn't invalidate the claim made by Strategy Analytics.

Since those people have not switched from the iPhone, and Apple's retention rate is sky high (far higher than Android), your 'logic' doesn't work. If those people thought that a larger phone was important, they would be buying something else.

They're not.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #226 of 257

You're not making any sense. I don't think even you believe your attempt at a a reasoned discussion. You're simply being a contrary little guy for whatever reason. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #227 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sounds reasonable.
Off topic: One thing that I'm surprised we haven't seen with internet forums are award-based posting abilities. IOW, as you participate on a site your trust on that site starts to grow. With this you get options for using certain markup text, adding images or videos, et al. It could also be used to give you badges (like in FourSquare) that would further encourage more users to post and to post in responsible ways that would benefit the site in every sense. For instance, those that get x-many posts recommended as helpful would get t Thumbs Up badge and with so many certain badges you could get a reqard like full HTML markup instead of limited BB Code Edit markup.

Good ideas!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #228 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're not making any sense. I don't think even you believe your attempt at a a reasoned discussion. You're simply being a contrary little guy for whatever reason. 

The irony meter just went off the scale.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #229 of 257

Gotcha Jr. You truly believe that Apple owners not ditching iPhones for a larger-screened Android device is proof they don't want a larger screen. What rule of logic are you using? I'm truly curious how you convinced yourself. Perhaps simple proof by hubris?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #230 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Gotcha Jr. You truly believe that Apple owners not ditching iPhones for a larger-screened Android device is proof they don't want a larger screen. What rule of logic are you using? I'm truly curious how you convinced yourself. Perhaps simple proof by hubris?

I never said that they didn't want a larger screen.

What I said was that the evidence is clear that when given a choice between phones, people are more often not choosing these huge screens - and that's true of Android as well as iOS. I'm not going to get into the reasons why because different people probably have different reasons, but the fact is that 4.5" and larger phones only make up a small portion of the market. So everyone whining that Apple can't be successful unless they increase the size of their phone is arguing against known facts.

Personally, I don't think screen size matters. I think the real issue is phone size. If Apple can increase the screen size without increasing the phone size much, it is very possible that they might do so. It looks to me like they could increase screen size by about 15" (to around 4" without making the phone any larger and that wouldn't surpass me in the least.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #231 of 257

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

One recent study from Strategy Analytics says 90% of current smartphone owners want a larger screened device than they currently have (as long as they're still thin), with the sweet spot being 4-4.5".

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - who to believe?
- An unknown market research company who does some kind of survey with unknown methodology and unknown sample
or
- The fact that the #1, #2, and #3 phones in the world last year were 3.5" - and the top two still are.
Sorry, but I'll go with what people are actually buying.

So there was no point in your original reply then.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #232 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Originally Posted by 
Gatorguy
 
go_quote.gif




One recent study from Strategy Analytics says 90% of current smartphone owners want a larger screened device than they currently have (as long as they're still thin), with the sweet spot being 4-4.5".




http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

So there was no point in your original reply then.

Of course there was.

Let's see if I can put this into language that's simple enough for you.

1. People have a choice of smart phones today.
2. Many of the smartphones on the market are over 4.5"
3. If people overwhelmingly want smartphones over 4.5", they have quite a few to choose from.
4. People are not choosing the smartphones over 4.5".

Therefore, either the statement that people want larger phones is wrong or they are choosing their phones based on something other than size - and the size is not an important factor. If the latter is the case, then there's no need for Apple to introduce a 4.5"+ phone.

The evidence is that people are not buying many phones larger than 4.5", so the claim that Apple needs a phone that size to stay competitive is bull.

Maybe you're not a shill, after all. I can't imagine how much Google would have to pay you to make you act so incredibly foolish.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #233 of 257

I'll keep the words really simple. Didn't you read the article? If so then your post is an obvious strawman argument rather than just ignorance of what was written.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

 

It didn't comment on larger than 4.5" displays so why mention it in conjunction with Strategy Analytics? Nor did the article claim that the most important consumer feature was display size. It was an informational post by a well-regarded analytics firm that you have offered no evidence to refute, simple as that. There's no reason to blather on about something that in essence you've already agreed with by making it into something it wasn't.

 

A larger display wouldn't be rejected by iPhone owners and actually preferred by most based on all existing survey data that I've seen, which includes the SA article. If you have evidence otherwise I'd love to have your links for it.


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/6/12 at 8:10am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #234 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'll keep the words really simple. Didn't you read the article? If so then your post is an obvious strawman argument rather than just ignorance of what was written.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/strategy-analytics-smartphone-owners-demand-larger-displays-2012-03-14

It didn't comment on larger than 4.5" displays so why mention it in conjunction with Strategy Analytics? Nor did the article claim that the most important consumer feature was display size. It was an informational post by a well-regarded analytics firm that you have offered no evidence to refute, simple as that. There's no reason to blather on about something that in essence you've already agreed with by making it into something it wasn't.

A larger display wouldn't be rejected by iPhone owners and actually preferred by most based on all existing survey data that I've seen, which includes the SA article. If you have evidence otherwise I'd love to have your links for it.

It is entirely possible that some users would want a slightly larger phone. I'm sure most people would like a less expensive phone, too. Or a phone with more storage at the same price. But they're still buying iPhones, so those desires are not important enough to affect the purchase decision. Heck, if you ask people if they would prefer for their new phone to have ten $100 bills in the box, I'm sure they'd agree.

My point (that you keep consistently ignoring) is:

1. It's obviously not a major preference - certainly not enough to affect purchasing preference. If people wanted a larger phone badly enough, there are plenty to buy - and they're not doing so.
2. Even if they want a larger phone, there's a clear limit. These 4.5"+ phones are not very successful in the marketplace compared to smaller phones.
3. The argument that Apple MUST introduce a larger phone therefore has no basis in reality.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #235 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


It is <probable> that <most> users would want a slightly larger phone.
(Fixed it for ya)
1. It's obviously not a major preference - certainly not enough to affect purchasing preference. If people wanted a larger phone badly enough, there are plenty to buy - and they're not doing so.

Except for the iPhone, every current best-selling smartphone at every major US carrier has a 4" or larger display. Some people apparently want a 4" or larger display bad enough to buy one since they're doing so.

http://www.vision2mobile.com/galleries/2012/04/v2m-march-hottest-selling-smartphones.aspx?pg=2


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/6/12 at 9:07am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #236 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Except for the iPhone, every current best-selling smartphone at every major US carrier has a 4" or larger display. Some people apparently want a 4" or larger display bad enough to buy one since they're doing so.
http://www.vision2mobile.com/galleries/2012/04/v2m-march-hottest-selling-smartphones.aspx?pg=2

Since they don't have any information on how they came up with their 'hottest selling phones', let's go with someone who actually measures the number sold and let's look at more than one month to add validity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/top-selling-smartphones-us_n_1299089.html

#1, 2, 3 were all from Apple - 3.5" screen
#4 was Blackberry curve - 3.7" screen
#5 was the HTC-EVO 4G - which does have a 4.3" screen.

So 4 of the top 5 selling phones last year had screens smaller than 4". The iPhones alone accounted for 35% of the total market.

I think you're going to need some real data to support your claim other than "hottest selling phones" from some unknown source and methodology.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #237 of 257

Apple should simply release a 4.5" to 5" iPhone in addition to the 3.5".  They'd dominate the market with that duo.  And if they made iOS just a touch more open, they'd more than likely kill Android.  

post #238 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
And if they made iOS just a touch more open… 

 

Meaning what?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #239 of 257

edit

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #240 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Since they don't have any information on how they came up with their 'hottest selling phones', let's go with someone who actually measures the number sold and let's look at more than one month to add validity.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/top-selling-smartphones-us_n_1299089.html
#1, 2, 3 were all from Apple - 3.5" screen
#4 was Blackberry curve - 3.7" screen
#5 was the HTC-EVO 4G - which does have a 4.3" screen.
So 4 of the top 5 selling phones last year had screens smaller than 4". The iPhones alone accounted for 35% of the total market.
I think you're going to need some real data to support your claim other than "hottest selling phones" from some unknown source and methodology.

 

I thought we were discussing what is selling now rather than as far back as 14 months ago? BTW, the top-selling devices in my link were by Canaccord Genuity. AI has their report on it here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/02/samsung_rivaling_htc_motorola_to_take_second_place_among_us_carriers_after_iphone_4s.html

You didn't indicate any distrust of them when you commented in that thread.

 

I thought you might appreciate the version with pictures to make it clearer. I'm sorry you still didn't understand it. but perhaps if you look at it again.

 

The very first page plainly states where the data came from:

"Our image gallery breaks down the three top-selling smartphones at each of America's four largest carriers last month, as determined from checks by Canaccord Genuity, the analyst firm."

 


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/6/12 at 12:08pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen