or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen - Page 2

post #41 of 257

"Designed for Humans"?  Well, that leaves me out.

post #42 of 257

What a hideous nightmare.

post #43 of 257

My stomach hurts from looking at the fugly thing!

I saw a few people with those over-sized phone and I was like.. are you holding an over-sized phone or a miniature tablet?  Seriously... There's a line that needs to be drawn between having more content visible at a time and having a phone that is practical.  No more than 4" PLEASE!!!

post #44 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I actually prefer the hardware home button; makes it easier to wake than hunting for a power button imo.

Still looks plastic-ity to me. Maybe its just the photos, but I was hoping for something more metallic or (as rumored) cermanic.

I also prefer the hardware buttons, and love how all HW makers are sticking it to Google.

Ceramic would have been nice, but this doesn't look too shabby either:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/162881/width/400/flags/LL

post #45 of 257
Designed for humans...lmao...

Running a OS called Android.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
post #46 of 257

I think we have to concede that the Galaxy S series have provided the iPhone with increasing competition on the hardware as Android has improved on the software.

Millions of Galaxy S users signal to Apple one thing -- there is a market for an iPhone with a larger screen.

The next iPhone should come in two sizes. I know Apple has been obsessed with minimising inventory since the day Steve brought in the four-square product lines. But let the people decide and Apple will better gauge the trend. 

It's not like the iOS is not up to it. 

~Qb

post #47 of 257

Pentile still ?! Where white backgrounds turn to checkerboards, black text turns to ladders, and each pixel is only 2/3 of a pixel, making the claimed resolution misleading! Step up, boys and girls, it’s the innovative “anti-retina” display! :p

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-has-pentile-amoled-screen-20120503/

Pentile on the left; the effect is poor at real size too.

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-screen-macro-shot-1804.jpg

post #48 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Pentile still ?! Where white backgrounds turn to checkerboards, black text turns to ladders, and each pixel is only 2/3 of a pixel, making the claimed resolution misleading! Step up, boys and girls, it’s the innovative “anti-retina” display! :p

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-has-pentile-amoled-screen-20120503/

Pentile on the left; the effect is poor at real size too.

How much for the phone + microscope bundle?

post #49 of 257

Big, ugly, cheaply-made, and running Android. 

*rinse, repeat*

*rinse repeat*

*market flooding*

post #50 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

While the SGX543mp4 is indeed very impressive for a mobile device, its no where near the power of a GTX 690 (the current PC 'top of the line' graphics card). 

indeed, I was just trying to compare the A5X VS the samsung 4 cores to...

a PC with an i5 dual core with a top of the line graphic card

VS

a PC with an i7 quad core running on HD3000 integraded graphic.

of course the A5X graphic engine is not a match for a PC top graphic card. sorry my previous post was not clear

post #51 of 257

Wo was the hand model, the Jolly Green Giant?

post #52 of 257

Am i the only one who thinks this "new" phone looks like something with a few years of wear and tear on it? That home button has no symmetry and the off center camera and sensors make it even fuglier. I hate how samsung forces their brand on you by putting it on the face of the phone. It's bad enough the carriers do it to like every phone since the history of phones, i really don't need a reminder of who made my phone. if bought the damn phone, im pretty sure i know who made it. it adds nothing, yet it substantially subtracts from the aesthetic of the phone.

Tangent: I hope NVidia can get it's shiyit together and pump out some real competitor chips instead of just promises that aren't delivered. They're a graphics company. Why they're focusing on multicore and not graphics performance (which is all a mobile device needs anyway) is beyond me. Companies should, in my prosumer opinion, focus on the front facing camera, graphics speed, and battery life of these phones. Second to those primary concerns, they should work to compete for the living room space with extra connectivity options because Apple is about to eat their lunch with AirPlay. It's leaps and bounds further in it's adoption and development than IR, DLNA, etc.

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
post #53 of 257

Way too big.  It will be a flop.

Watch for BOGOs on the horizon!

post #54 of 257

I'm simultaneously bored by it even while knowing it's definitely top 5 at least in Android phones. The quad A9 isn't too exciting seeing how much faster dual core Krait is. The screen is on par with the Galaxy Nexus, nothing new. Same memory and storage as before. 65% faster GPU should put it well on top of everything else on Android though in that department, just like the 2 was.

post #55 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

iOS App Store.  At least it's secured, and don't try spinning it.  Even Android forums are wanting some kind of curated app store too now to deal with the growing malware problem.

Amazon has a curated Amazon App Store.  It seems curious that you say they want something which has been available for a long time now.

post #56 of 257

It's really ugly. It looks like 90% of the design choices were informed by the need to get the 4.8-inch screen within a body which is acceptably small. 

I hope that the next iPhone has a ~4-inch screen, but 4.8 inches is just too big. There's no way the average person can use a screen of that size comfortably with one hand. It might be borderline acceptable on a phone like the GS3, which is principally designed for geeks, but it's too big for the mainstream. In particular, it's too big for women to use with one hand.

post #57 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Wo was the hand model, the Jolly Green Giant?

XNsAVNneIfw34hK.jpg

(R.I.P. Andre)

post #58 of 257

that commercial is terrible awful 

post #59 of 257

Go HTC...

Samsung is run by idiots...

post #60 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I hope that the next iPhone has a ~4-inch screen

The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

post #61 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung on Thursday took the wraps off its highly anticipated Galaxy S III smartphone, featuring a 1.4-gigahertz quad-core processor, 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen, and Google's Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

Apple now earning 73% of global mobile profits with just 8.8% unit share

Now, let's see if Apple can match the components and features of Samsung smartphones or if it will be forced to give up its HUGE profit margins. Because, in the end, the market is always right.

And right now, the stock market is saying "I'm not sure if I want to continue to hold on to Apple shares". And, if one is going to follow what Apple executives are doing with their own holdings, it's time to sell. Maybe the party is coming to an end.

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

post #62 of 257

So I'm supposed to like this phone so I can have a big 'ol Flipboard widget covering up a third of my home screen.  Geez, I put apps in folders to try and unclutter my home screen as much as possible.  And how's the battery life when you have widgets enabled?

post #63 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So I'm supposed to like this phone so I can have a big 'ol Flipboard widget covering up a third of my home screen.  Geez, I put apps in folders to try and unclutter my home screen as much as possible.  And how's the battery life when you have widgets enabled?

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

post #64 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Hugh is an understatement. Hugh as in we no longer will know if owners have a boner or the phone in their pants pocket.

Phones get 'boners'?  That news would be huge.

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #65 of 257

It's lighter and thinner then the iPhone, I don't think it will be a problem.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #66 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

XNsAVNneIfw34hK.jpg

(R.I.P. Andre)

Also: RIP Muhammad (or Cassius...)

post #67 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm very curious to see if four cores is useful in a phone. I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know for sure. 

I have a HTC One X, which has 4 cores, and a iPhone 4S but I can't say one feels faster than the other. Maybe it just needs to have software to optimised for four cores before you can notice a difference.

post #68 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It depends on how many widgets you have and how often the widget updates it's info, I set mine for once every three hours.

post #69 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I like the specs but the display is too large. 4.8" display? I doubt I could comfortably fit that in my pocket.

The One X is almost the exact same size and it fits in your pocket fine. Probably because it's so thin I guess.

post #70 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

It's really ugly. It looks like 90% of the design choices were informed by the need to get the 4.8-inch screen within a body which is acceptably small. 

I hope that the next iPhone has a ~4-inch screen, but 4.8 inches is just too big. There's no way the average person can use a screen of that size comfortably with one hand. It might be borderline acceptable on a phone like the GS3, which is principally designed for geeks, but it's too big for the mainstream. In particular, it's too big for women to use with one hand.

I'm a women and If I can use the Note with one hand I'm sure nobody will have a problem with this one.

post #71 of 257
It's a four-core spec-whore wet dream. Maybe now they'll have smooth scrolling.
Of course, it's made for humans. Smartphones have sold poorly to other species.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #72 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

Perfect for everyone or just you? I personally found it too small for my liking. 

post #73 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

post #74 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

Wasn't that the same initial reaction when the 4S came out as there was so much buzz about a new design? Didn't stop Apple from selling millions of them just like Samsung probably will with this phone.

post #75 of 257

I think the biggest news here is not the derivative and meh hardware but the derivative and meh software.

This is BIG. If more signs were needed, Samsung is out to destroy Android as an open platform. Quite rightly in their quest to be a successful company via their strategy to copy and then try to out-Apple Apple, they obviously feel that they can hold up Android on their own as a Samsung driven ecosystem. The way the competitors are going they are probably right. They are methodically copying everything Apple is doing since it is obviously the way to get growth AND profits in creating a Samsung-only ecosystem around content, Samsung specific apps (mostly aping Apple e.g. S-Cloud, S-Beam and S Voice) and even Samsung proprietary (pop-up) retail. They are the only Android OEM with the resources (and now profits) to invest in this kind of real differentiation (beyond a stupid skin).

How soon can it be before Samsung properly forks its OS from Google. Apart from the Play store, Samsung is almost autonomous already. I think nerds like us would be surprised at how little most Google Apps tie people to the ecosystem. G Apps, G Voice, G Drive, etc. are weak magnets for most mainstream users, as is any Google content platform (except the Play App Store). G Mail is ubiquitous but most users are fine with access from a built in or 3rd party app rather than super tight integration.

This is the beginning of the end for Google's even now tenuous control of its own platform. Not that it should negatively impact them too much. Look how much they make from iOS. At least it isn't MS that is doing this to them.

Will Google decide to be more aggressive with the Moto purchase (sign already!) and not sell it off to Huawei and go to war with Samsung? For nice potential hardware profits, taking them from Samsung and denying them access to the new wizz-bang features of JB or KillerKracknel or whatever, maybe?

post #76 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, in theory, the UI could be updated. But given that only a tiny percentage of Android users are ever able to update the software in their phones, that's only a theoretical possibility.

The UI is easily updated by using a home replacement or launcher. The phone does not have to be rooted and most are free.
Edited by dasanman69 - 5/3/12 at 2:56pm
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #77 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Wasn't that the same initial reaction when the 4S came out as there was so much buzz about a new design? Didn't stop Apple from selling millions of them just like Samsung probably will with this phone.

I agree. As Horace Dediu once notably said "when bloggers shed tears, cash registers ring".

I think that most of the nerd complaints will have no impact on the high-end of the mainstream of consumers which is the target for Samsung. The compromises keep this mainstream (a minor update on the GNex) but enough to keep them winning until the iP5. The point of this phone is not to please fanboys but sell millions upon millions of devices (not a few mil like the GNex or Note) and make a healthy profit on each one. It will do this and will further fragment Android to the point that Samsung forks entirely when they can manage and populate their own App Store.

post #78 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Ummm...he's not dead...

post #79 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

I agree - but I don't think screen size is the major factor as much as phone size. Back in 2007, to make a phone that fits nicely in average hands, 3.5" was an optimal size given power, weight, resolution and bezel/assembly considerations.

Now Apple can make something almost the same overall size with a larger screen (smaller/no bezels, etc.) so why not? Customers will still like the size and the screen. The one thing that I think is at issue here is can the larger screen have a higher resolution given the iOS fixed res and ratio issues. I doubt they have a 4" 1920x1280 screen ready and just scaling up the current retina display would be a small but noticeable step back. Can they revamp iOS so that it scales more like vectors than bitmaps? 1440x960? Would be awesome but that 1.5x scaling might be problematic.

If they did scale the current retina display up to 4", holy hell would break out in the nerd ranks but it might not impact the mainstream buyers much - but the press would be all over it.

post #80 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Ali is still among the living as far as I know

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen