or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen

Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen - Page 3

post #81 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post
The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

That was when it was introduced almost 5 years ago, times change so do peoples expectations on technology. Apple is going to have a larger screen on their next generation iPhone's so get used to it.

When the trolls meet the Poes, comin' thro' the rye… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #82 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Read the article.../snip

...and check the unknown sources button...

Wouldn't everyone who uses Amazon's application repository have this done?

I hear it's quite popular and is why Android is touted as being so "open" and not restricted to a "waled garden".

A lot of the cheaper Android devices made by manufacturers who don't want to be locked into Google's walled garden and so don't have their services would also fall into this category.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #83 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Great advise.  Treat your phone like you would a PC, always having to babysit it.  You do a disservice to those that don't want to deal with the headaches of permissions, security, etc... they just want their phone to work and not be concerned about trusting apps.

iOS App Store.  At least it's secured, and don't try spinning it.  Even Android forums are wanting some kind of curated app store too now to deal with the growing malware problem.

That malware threat is no danger to users who don't disable Android's default app permissions. Not unlike those who jailbreak an iPhone. If you're going to override the OS security settings then just know what you're loading whether on an iPhone or an Android-based one.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #84 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That malware threat is no danger to users who don't disable Android's default app permissions. Not unlike those who jailbreak an iPhone. If you're going to override the OS security settings then just know what you're loading whether on an iPhone or an Android-based one.

So, "Buy Android; it lets you do what Apple doesn't! But don't actually do it, because you won't be safe! It's not like anyone actually WOULD do it, anyway."

Not a very catchy motto.

post #85 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The current screen size is perfect.  Apple tried every different screen size and picked 3.5 as the best.

While 3.5" is good for dialing numbers it is way too small and outdated for surfing the web, watching video, and playing games.

I am sure Apple can keep the dial app small enough to fit all hand sizes. But to stay relevant they have increase screen size to 4" ideally to 4.5" without changing the form factor.

Basically they could make the entire case a big screen leaving short space for the camera and speaker. And no home button please.

post #86 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
But to stay relevant they have increase screen size to 4" ideally to 4.5" without changing the form factor.

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

Quote:
And no home button please.

We always need a hardware 'out'.

post #87 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The UI is easily updated by using a home replacement or launcher. The phone does not have to be rooted and most are free.

Exactly; it's simply installing an app from Google Play, or any other source you prefer.

I forget one has to explain repeatedly to Android haters just how easy it is to suit the OS to your likes and needs.

post #88 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

You don't have to babysit anything. You can only be affected by this if you've gone into settings and enabled installing apps from Unknown Sources. By default this setting is disabled, meaning apps can only be installed from Play Store, where Bouncer does a pretty good job keeping out malware.

So for example the top selling Android tablet, the Amazon Fire would fall into this category, would it not?

Along with anyone else who didn't want to toe Google's line.

post #89 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

So perhaps HTC will give Samsung a run for their money until the new iPhone comes out.  I'm getting a bit annoyed by all of Samsung's bravado lately so seeing the HTC One series get better reviews makes me smile.

post #90 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

It depends on how many widgets you have and how often the widget updates it's info, I set mine for once every three hours.

Before I got the iPhone 4S I had an android phone.  I used a weather and news widget.  I thought I'd miss them on the 4S but I don't.  And they really were a drag on my battery.  Of course my phone was using Android 2.1 software so I'm sure improvements have been made in subsequent software releases.

post #91 of 257
Weird. I don't remember clicking a link to ANDROIDinsider
post #92 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, "Buy Android; it lets you do what Apple doesn't! But don't actually do it, because you won't be safe! It's not like anyone actually WOULD do it, anyway."

Not a very catchy motto.

Yeah, but with the right music. . .

post #93 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

"It's so much alike, we couldn't tell the difference. We apologize for the inconvenience." lol.gif

That Siri knockoff, though… I imagine Tim's reconsidering his thoughts on settling.

post #94 of 257
Quote:

Indeed.

You can see it like this: the next iPhone has almost half a year before launch. Until then, Apple's actions have close to zero effect on the sales of their most popular product. It won't get any better, newer, faster, or larger before October, no matter how many speculation threads we see. The only factor that is going to affect the sales of the iPhone is how good the competition is. Samsung is Apple's major competitor, and the Galaxy S III its flagship product. That's why we are having this discussion.

post #95 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

/snip ...its no where near the power of a GTX 690 (the current PC 'top of the line' graphics card). 

One of which costs more than a top of the range "overpriced" iPad or the same as an "overpriced" MacBook Air.

post #96 of 257
Quote:

I do not mind hearing about the high end of the android market as it does 'compete' with the iPhone. In this case there will be some people interested, mostly people who care more about specs then usability. More is better! A phone that is too big for the pocket and has a crummy screen. Who cares so long as each 'comparison' spec is better.

80% of the people I know use iPhones, the rest use old blackberrys and high end Androids. This phone is for the latter, they will love it.

I bet there are users who can discharge the battery in this thing within an hour.
post #97 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post
...Apple is about to eat their lunch with AirPlay. It's leaps and bounds further in it's adoption and development than IR, DLNA, etc.

Something like AllShare Cast dongle, perhaps?

post #98 of 257
Quote:

That certainly explains why a nearly three year old 3.5" phone outsells every other larger-screened model on the market.

This is quickly going to be thing of the past unless Apples improves the screen. 

Quote:

We always need a hardware 'out'.

Then put that freaking hardware 'out' on the edge along with volume and power buttons! Don't spoil the priceless real estate.

post #99 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
This is quickly going to be thing of the past unless Apples improves the screen. 

Well, they've had three years to prove it wrong.

They failed.

Quote:
Then put that freaking hardware 'out' on the edge along with volume and power buttons! Don't spoil the priceless real estate.

Right, where it will be hit ALL THE TIME by accident.

post #100 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

the next iPhone has almost half a year before launch. Until then, Apple's actions have close to zero effect on the sales of their most popular product. It won't get any better, newer, faster, or larger before October, no matter how many speculation threads we see.

Actually, an iOS update does exactly that, making it better, introducing new features, and frequently making it faster. And, unlike many Android devices, gets updated frequently.

It won't get larger but, seeing that they got the size right the first time, it doesn't need to.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #101 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Amazon has a curated Amazon App Store.  It seems curious that you say they want something which has been available for a long time now.

So how does one go about accessing this Amazon repository?

Would it require "Allow other sources" to be selected in settings, thus rendering the device vulnerable to drive-by downloads?

post #102 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The new ipad has the equivalent of a PC top of the line graphic card to drive the retina display screen. 

Did you manage to keep a straight face when you wrote this?

post #103 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What a hideous nightmare.
it does look hideous...agreed.
post #104 of 257
Android appeals to "techy-windows people" and iPhone to almost everyone else.

When an android releases a phone, it's "all specs" (numbers).

When apple releases a phone it's new features (nice software updates, new apps, Siri, ect.) which attract non-techy people or people that does normally ever use computers.
post #105 of 257

I'm amazed that this thread is so long.  AI doesn't usually carry this sort of story.  Maybe they should routinely cover notable products from competitors?  It seems that lots of people are interested.

post #106 of 257

We should start a samsung boycott movement. 

They kidnap workers who try to organize a union in their factories and deny that workers who got lukemia from being exposed to chemicals in their semiconductor fabs that the illnesses are work related.  

Here is the link.

http://stopsamsung.wordpress.com/

post #107 of 257

I am the average american male height of 5' 10".

I find the iPhone fits nicely in my front pants pocket without being too large.  The screen is very readable.  I don't want to carry anything larger.

If I did I would bring an iPad.

Or I guess I could get some baggy pants...  that hang down and show my underwear. 

post #108 of 257

Samsung's AMOLED display could be 48". Skin tones will still look horrid. Everything looks like a comic book.

post #109 of 257
Quote:

Well, they've had three years to prove it wrong.

They failed.

Right, where it will be hit ALL THE TIME by accident.

Actually, I hit the current Home button frequently by accident. I am less likely to hit it if it were moved to the top edge.

post #110 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So for example the top selling Android tablet, the Amazon Fire would fall into this category, would it not?

Along with anyone else who didn't want to toe Google's line.

No, the Fire is not affected by this. By default, the Fire only allows apps from the Amazon App Store to be installed. That setting can be changed. So unless the user has been changing security settings, they're not affected, just like stock Android.

post #111 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Actually, an iOS update does exactly that, making it better, introducing new features, and frequently making it faster.

No significant increase in iPhone sales will happen solely due to iOS upgrades. And, making it faster? That's not what I've been hearing... 

And, unlike many Android devices, gets updated frequently.

My Android phone gets auto-updated daily.

It won't get larger but, seeing that they got the size right the first time, it doesn't need to.

The claim was that there is no way to effect change, not that the current specs aren't desirable.

post #112 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Exactly; it's simply installing an app from Google Play, or any other source you prefer.

I forget one has to explain repeatedly to Android haters just how easy it is to suit the OS to your likes and needs.

I see. So your point is that purchasers shouldn't worry about the crappy UI because they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As far as I can tell from Android commenters NO ONE likes this phone...

It could be speedy...could be flawless software wise (hah) but the design is sooo dated...it looks like a cheap BOGO phone...all of HTC's One series look better than this...even the one V which is designed to be a budget phone.

And that's the bottom line. When even the tech sites that generally favor Android are panning the phone, it's not much of a threat to the iPhone.

"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #113 of 257

I'm with you. 4.5 in.? I have a calculator at 4.1/4 in and have to hold it with my fingers. How many drops will it take you think. And my women friends again have small hands.

post #114 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Do you have any evidence that third-party launchers in the Play Store are malware? Or is this the usual baseless sneering that characterizes AI's comment thread? Honestly, the 'Android = malware' schtick is really getting old. Virtually all malware is found outside of the Google Play Store and the Amazon App Store, which are the two largest stores. On rare occasion, something minor sneaks past Bouncer, and it's removed as soon as it's found.

Edited by derekmorr - 5/4/12 at 9:46am
post #115 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see. So your point is that purchasers shouldn't worry about the crappy UI because they can install a different, unsupported, malware infested UI if they wish.

Gotcha.

I'm not sure you realize how ridiculous your generalization is. First, we were talking about the ease of changing the UI, not about whether everyone likes or not the vendor-supplied one. Second, apps are usually well supported by their creators. Third, can you provide any evidence of malware in a launcher currently on Google play? If not, you may consider cutting down on the FUD.

post #116 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

This thing is taking a pounding at Engadget.
Nothing really special.
Over hyped.

Did they bother to check that "face dialing" and the Press, hold and twist to launch macro camera accidentally features?

Samsung really has pulled out all the stops to find non-obvious ways to bring up things you didn't intend to. I've got a Blackberry, and I discovered that not only the screen is "touch screen" but a little track pad opposite the screen is awesome for accidentally putting the cursor in the wrong place and clicking the mute button when I move the phone to my face.

I think the Upgrade will remove all these features.

post #117 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I see your point, however, I think your concerns may be a bit

I'll be interested to see how the battery life for this phone is. Tegra 3 is able to get very good battery life with its use of a 5th, low power 'companion core.' Exynos doesn't have this, so I would like to see how it compares.

Well this is good news, if the 4s is that close in performance then the A5X is going to leave that thing in the dust.
post #118 of 257

How does Infinity Blade II run on it? 'Nuf said...

post #119 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by stf2012 View Post

How does Infinity Blade II run on it? 'Nuf said...

Hey its got HDR just like the iPhone 4 and, and GLONAS just like the iPhone 4S...

...so advanced.

post #120 of 257
Quote:

When the trolls meet the Poes, comin' thro' the rye… 

Ha! Nice call!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung unveils quad-core Galaxy S III with 4.8" AMOLED screen