or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe Creative Suite 6 out now, Creative Cloud coming May 11
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 out now, Creative Cloud coming May 11

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Adobe announced on Monday that its Creative Suite 6 software collection is available now and its Creative Cloud subscription service will arrive on May 11.

Adobe early Monday issued a press release announcing "immediate availability" of CS6, which includes Photoshop, InDesign, lllustrator, Dreamweaver, Premiere Pro, After Effects and Flash Professional. The San Jose, Calif., software maker officially unveiled CS6 last month, touting new tools for 3D design.

?We announced Creative Cloud and CS6 two weeks ago and these releases have caught the imagination of creatives everywhere,? the release reported David Wadhwani, Adobe's senior vice president, Digital Media Business, as saying. ?Today we're shipping CS6 and look forward to the beginning of an exciting new era as we introduce Creative Cloud later this week.?

Creative Suite 6 contains a total of 14 applications across four suite versions: Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium ($1,899), Adobe Creative Suite 6 Standard Design ($1,299), Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium ($1,899), and Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection ($2,599).

CS6 1


The new Creative Cloud, which is expected to go live on Friday, costs $49.99 per month with an annual membership or $74.99 month to month. Owners of older Creative Suite versions can receive a discount on their first year of subscription. The service includes "access to download and install all CS6 applications, new HTML5 desktop products ? Adobe Muse 1.0 and Adobe Edge preview ? and deep integration with Adobe Touch Apps," according to the release.

New CS6 features highlighted by the company include improved performance with the Adobe Mercury Graphics functionality, enhanced user interfaces and "new science" integrated into its imaging and video apps.

Adobe released a public beta of Photoshop CS6 in March, attracting more than 500,000 downloads in less than a week. AppleInsider first revealed details, such as the new 3D capabilities, of the new Photoshop last October.
post #2 of 35

These are expensive suites...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 35

+1 I find it difficult to see how they can charge over £650 for the upgrade when earlier this year Adobe was offering 5.5 upgrades for £350 or thereabouts PLUS a free upgrade to v6.0. Gougers!

post #4 of 35

If you earn your living using this suite of products, they are tools of the trade. It's part of the cost of doing business. Each update provides more tools, more resources and greater capabilities. These resources help me do my job better and faster. I'm happy to pay for them.

post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

These are expensive suites...

I think the Creative Cloud annual offer is affordable. Like $600 a year for everything. I think it's much better than the previous pricing.

post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

If you earn your living using this suite of products, they are tools of the trade. It's part of the cost of doing business. Each update provides more tools, more resources and greater capabilities. These resources help me do my job better and faster. I'm happy to pay for them.

This company is a total ripoff. I don't care if you do make a living using it. These are costs per seat if you have a couple of employees and the upgrade charges are outrageous.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


This company is a total ripoff. I don't care if you do make a living using it. These are costs per seat if you have a couple of employees and the upgrade charges are outrageous.


But it's market price, is it not?  I get you - I'd love to have CS6, but when I look at the prices I gasp.  But how reasonable is it for me to expect someone to sell me the product they made at the price I want?  The beauty of the free market is that it requires consent...no one is forced to sell at a given price, nobody is forced to buy at a certain price.  I can understand a "holy crap" reaction, but in a free market (assuming we're talking about a free market and not some socialist dictatorship), isn't it perfectly fine...and not outrageous? I'm glad the anger of some cannot supersede the rights of others to sell their own product as they see fit.  How awful would it be to run a company if you couldn't?

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


But it's market price, is it not?  I get you - I'd love to have CS6, but when I look at the prices I gasp.  But how reasonable is it for me to expect someone to sell me the product they made at the price I want?  The beauty of the free market is that it requires consent...no one is forced to sell at a given price, nobody is forced to buy at a certain price.  I can understand a "holy crap" reaction, but in a free market (assuming we're talking about a free market and not some socialist dictatorship), isn't it perfectly fine...and not outrageous? I'm glad the anger of some cannot supersede the rights of others to sell their own product as they see fit.  How awful would it be to run a company if you couldn't?


It's not a "free market", it's a monopoly market with network effects, so they charge whatever they want and customers have no choice but to pay it if they are doing graphics work.

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

This company is a total ripoff. I don't care if you do make a living using it. These are costs per seat if you have a couple of employees and the upgrade charges are outrageous.

If you have a couple employees... and you're using Adobe's software... you're probably making some money, right?

Like someone said earlier... these are tools of the trade.

The nice thing is... Creative Cloud comes out to $600 a year.

I made $500 in one night videoing a dance recital... then spent another night cutting it together and authoring a DVD using Adobe's tools.

So for me... two evenings plus a couple more hours duplicating and printing those DVDs... and I could have almost paid for Creative Cloud for the rest of the year.

In other words... a few nights work can pay for a year of software. That's how you need to approach "expensive" professional software like this. If you're not making money with Adobe's tools... you probably don't need them. They still offer Elements.

I think the pricing of Creative Cloud will bring even more customers to Adobe.

It's not expensive if you rely on these tools.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
... The nice thing is... Creative Cloud comes out to $600 a year.
I made $500 in one night videoing a dance recital...

Agreed. The new Creative Cloud pricing is reasonable.

Later this year I read they'll also launch Creative Cloud Team, or whatever the final marketing name will be, with multi user licenses and stuff. I guess it'll be reasonable as well.

 

I think the monopoly feel is there because there is no real competitor to one of Adobe's apps, namely Photoshop.

Pixelmator is great, there are a bunch of nice painting apps, but none of them really competes with Photoshop. Most of Adobe's other apps are in strong competition.

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

If you earn your living using this suite of products, they are tools of the trade. It's part of the cost of doing business. Each update provides more tools, more resources and greater capabilities. These resources help me do my job better and faster. I'm happy to pay for them.

Glad it works out for you. I read an interesting article here on the 'Adobe Tax'. One thing that popped: Dreamweaver, quote "A particularly gruesome example is Dreamweaver CS6. This tired old app is receiving its third or fourth bogus “update” in a row from Adobe, for which they would happily exact a $250 upgrade fee from Dreamweaver CS5 users! It appears that for CS6, Adobe has grafted on a few spotty self-serving features (integration with other pay services they offer like Business Catalyst and PhoneGap) without addressing any fundamentals of the app. Indeed, one of their “top new features” is that they’ve updated Live View to so it “uses the latest version of the WebKit rendering engine to provide the ultimate in HTML5 support”. Hilarious! It’s pretty clear they have no interest in updating Dreamweaver’s ancient and obsolete “Design view” or repairing all the broken features and ugliness of the core app. Indeed, all the changes they’ve implemented appear carefully restricted to peripheral aspects of the software that are probably themselves plugins. The fact is there’s nothing new in Dreamweaver CS6 anybody should be paying money for. Rather, Dreamweaver CS6 ought be a free upgrade to existing Dreamweaver licensers, accompanied by an apology."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

These are expensive suites...

Seriously! What a bunch of crap dressed up in bells and whistles. The price of the "Creative Cloud" is extreme too. And what a horrible name.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Glad it works out for you. I read an interesting article here on the 'Adobe Tax'. One thing that popped: Dreamweaver, quote "A particularly gruesome example is Dreamweaver CS6. This tired old app is receiving its third or fourth bogus “update” in a row from Adobe, for which they would happily exact a $250 upgrade fee from Dreamweaver CS5 users! It appears that for CS6, Adobe has grafted on a few spotty self-serving features (integration with other pay services they offer like Business Catalyst and PhoneGap) without addressing any fundamentals of the app. Indeed, one of their “top new features” is that they’ve updated Live View to so it “uses the latest version of the WebKit rendering engine to provide the ultimate in HTML5 support”. Hilarious! It’s pretty clear they have no interest in updating Dreamweaver’s ancient and obsolete “Design view” or repairing all the broken features and ugliness of the core app. Indeed, all the changes they’ve implemented appear carefully restricted to peripheral aspects of the software that are probably themselves plugins. The fact is there’s nothing new in Dreamweaver CS6 anybody should be paying money for. Rather, Dreamweaver CS6 ought be a free upgrade to existing Dreamweaver licensers, accompanied by an apology."Dream

With the onslaught of CMS sites, Dreamweaver is becoming an obsolete app anyway. 

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #14 of 35

CS6 is a tremendous value for content producers. As someone has already pointed out before me, those using these tools usually pay for themselves with a couple days of work in a year. These powerful tools make it possible for you to earn a very good living. If you can't take advantage of these applications to make a very nice return on your investment, you probably shouldn't be looking at Creative Suite applications in the first place. 

post #15 of 35

So they pay some marketing firm several $ million to find out they can make more money screwing customers and charging them monthly fees....why not just make it more affordable so more people will use their products and then make more money by having access to a larger customer base?   Typical business bull___...

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

CS6 is a tremendous value for content producers. As someone has already pointed out before me, those using these tools usually pay for themselves with a couple days of work in a year. These powerful tools make it possible for you to earn a very good living. If you can't take advantage of these applications to make a very nice return on your investment, you probably shouldn't be looking at Creative Suite applications in the first place. 

Exactly right.

It's weird that many of the same people who understand when it makes sense to pay a premium $1300 for a MacBook Pro over a $500 Dell laptop don't understand that the same applies to Creative Suite. Sure, you can nit-pick that it doesn't have features X, Y, and Z... but you can do that with MBPs too.

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

With the onslaught of CMS sites, Dreamweaver is becoming an obsolete app anyway. 

yeah... 'cause everyone wants a cookie-cutter website done in WordPress....

post #18 of 35

Calling them "tools of the trade" doesn't justify the price gouge. The tools of most other trades don't cost nearly as much, they don't have to be replaced anywhere near as often, and multiple employees can share the same set of tools if that arrangement is feasible for your workflow.

post #19 of 35

Wat trade are you referring to?

 

How much is the yearly subscription to SolidWorks? Not $200 I think...

Our machine shop just spent over $100k on a new 3D printer.

 

Pro tools cost pro $$. No one is forcing you to use these tools, and if you want to use them and cannot make enough money to cover it, well, maybe you are in the wrong business of maybe you would be happier as an employee somewhere so the boss can worry about the cost of tools.

post #20 of 35

I see this thread has brought the Adobe shills out in force. Well, it's not the first time they have been so obviously active.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Calling them "tools of the trade" doesn't justify the price gouge. The tools of most other trades don't cost nearly as much, they don't have to be replaced anywhere near as often, and multiple employees can share the same set of tools if that arrangement is feasible for your workflow.

Autocad is $4000 a seat.

 

Maya and Smoke are $3500 a seat.

 

I doubt the people making money with these products complain about the cost.

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
I see this thread has brought the Adobe shills out in force. Well, it's not the first time they have been so obviously active.

 

Normally it's only in the Flash threads where they're hopelessly trying to defend it against its shortcomings and removal from devices.

 

Why we're just outright reporting an Adobe release here, I'll never know.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why we're just outright reporting an Adobe release here, I'll never know.

Creative Suite and Mac users have a longstanding relationship. Virtually all publishing and imaging work is done on Macs so there are lots of AI users who are very interested in Creative Suite. I am because I use their products everyday and make a lot of money doing so. Sure there are other tools that do similar stuff but if you have to collaborate with other professional media people you have to use the current version. As soon as someone upgrades their suite and shares the files, there are often incompatibilities because of new features, plugins etc. Instead of emailing the person back and saying can you please export that file as an older version for me, you just go out and upgrade. As others have said, it's part of being in business.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Glad it works out for you. I read an interesting article here on the 'Adobe Tax'. One thing that popped: Dreamweaver, quote "A particularly gruesome example is Dreamweaver CS6. This tired old app is receiving its third or fourth bogus “update” in a row from Adobe, for which they would happily exact a $250 upgrade fee from Dreamweaver CS5 users! It appears that for CS6, Adobe has grafted on a few spotty self-serving features (integration with other pay services they offer like Business Catalyst and PhoneGap) without addressing any fundamentals of the app. Indeed, one of their “top new features” is that they’ve updated Live View to so it “uses the latest version of the WebKit rendering engine to provide the ultimate in HTML5 support”. Hilarious! It’s pretty clear they have no interest in updating Dreamweaver’s ancient and obsolete “Design view” or repairing all the broken features and ugliness of the core app. Indeed, all the changes they’ve implemented appear carefully restricted to peripheral aspects of the software that are probably themselves plugins. The fact is there’s nothing new in Dreamweaver CS6 anybody should be paying money for. Rather, Dreamweaver CS6 ought be a free upgrade to existing Dreamweaver licensers, accompanied by an apology."

If you rely on the design view in Dreamweaver, you are not building very complex sites anyway so it should work just fine. Most modern sites are relying on conditional code, database queries, browser detection, dynamic CMS, cookies, and php, or some other scripting language none of which display in the design view or the local browser. As a code editor Dreamweaver is pretty good and it also does a decent job of ftp and collecting dependent files. I agree the new features are pretty useless and is not worth upgrading but it is part of the suite. That is the main problem with CS, the idea of having a suite where all the apps are upgraded at the same time, some more than others. It is aggravating, but it is still a better price than buying the apps you need by themselves even if you are not even using half of the other stuff that is included.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #25 of 35

Yes, many do. The traditional static website is a thing of the past.

 

A website can be boring regardless of the technology that drives it. 

 

But I was really talking about Drupal and not Wordpress. 

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #26 of 35

Adobe Cash-in Suite 6.  This year we made the background dark grey and made our own cloud service that will be ready later.  Now open your wallet.

post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post

yeah... 'cause everyone wants a cookie-cutter website done in WordPress....

Here's a paradox... I use Dreamweaver to create Wordpress sites! Whoa!

Dreamweaver at its core is a text editor. But it has other great features beyond vanilla text editing.

But to your point... I don't know which is worse: cookie-cutter Wordpress sites... or poorly-designed sites slapped together in Dreamweaver "Design View"

Like "techno" was hinting at above... there's more to a website than which tools were used to create it.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

So they pay some marketing firm several $ million to find out they can make more money screwing customers and charging them monthly fees....why not just make it more affordable so more people will use their products and then make more money by having access to a larger customer base?   Typical business bull___...

Are you mad that Adobe charges what they think their software is worth... or are you mad that no other company can make cheaper software that works as well as Adobe's professional software?

Just think... if Pixelmator had all the features of Photoshop... they wouldn't be charging $30 for it.

Adobe does offer Photoshop Elements for the price-conscious consumer.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


If you have a couple employees... and you're using Adobe's software... you're probably making some money, right?
Like someone said earlier... these are tools of the trade.
The nice thing is... Creative Cloud comes out to $600 a year.
I made $500 in one night videoing a dance recital... then spent another night cutting it together and authoring a DVD using Adobe's tools.
So for me... two evenings plus a couple more hours duplicating and printing those DVDs... and I could have almost paid for Creative Cloud for the rest of the year.
In other words... a few nights work can pay for a year of software. That's how you need to approach "expensive" professional software like this. If you're not making money with Adobe's tools... you probably don't need them. They still offer Elements.
I think the pricing of Creative Cloud will bring even more customers to Adobe.
It's not expensive if you rely on these tools.

Photoshop alone, FYI, the only Adobe App I have any use for - and use frequently for creative, non-commercial purposes (and have invested 15 years in learning including multiple workshops and books) - is $699.  And no, "Elements" and other products I'm aware of in that price range won't cut it, though I probably only use 15-20% of the PS tool set..  

 

We're discussing whether the suite is expensive here with no reference to Adobe's gross or final margins - and if anyone's noticed, I am pro-entrepreneur, pro-profit and pro-open markets, so that's their business - if it's excessive they will gradually cut themselves off from a good portion of their potential base and at least open the door for a competitor who can begin to eat their lunch in the mid-range space, e.g., between $150-300, at least if they nailed the tool set, capability, etc.  Maybe a company like Pixelmator can develop enough of a base to gradually add their own extended version.  (Or maybe if I bought it I might discover it's enough for me at $30, since I don't buy every latest version of PS since in fact I tend to skip two versions).  

 

However, the the Teacher and Student Extended Edition is $249 on Amazon - though I'm uncertain as to WHAT "verification is required after purchase." But the site notes about the product describe it as follows:

 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the difference between Photoshop CS6 Extended and Photoshop CS6?

A: Photoshop CS6 Extended delivers all the unrivaled image editing power of Photoshop CS6 plus tools for creating and editing 3D images and performing quantitative image analysis.

 

Meanwhile, the.educational edition of Lightroom is $76.  

 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

If you earn your living using this suite of products, they are tools of the trade. It's part of the cost of doing business. Each update provides more tools, more resources and greater capabilities. These resources help me do my job better and faster. I'm happy to pay for them.

 

and more fresher bugs to learn and loathe. I'd love to know which new features they added to Flash Professional aside from publishing to the latest and yet already out of date 11.2 runtime. I know in each iteration they add the ability to break compatibility with older CS flash files. Maybe that's a feature. 

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Photoshop alone, FYI, the only Adobe App I have any use for - and use frequently for creative, non-commercial purposes (and have invested 15 years in learning including multiple workshops and books) - is $699.  And no, "Elements" and other products I'm aware of in that price range won't cut it, though I probably only use 15-20% of the PS tool set..  

We're discussing whether the suite is expensive here with no reference to Adobe's gross or final margins - and if anyone's noticed, I am pro-entrepreneur, pro-profit and pro-open markets, so that's their business - if it's excessive they will gradually cut themselves off from a good portion of their potential base and at least open the door for a competitor who can begin to eat their lunch in the mid-range space, e.g., between $150-300, at least if they nailed the tool set, capability, etc.  Maybe a company like Pixelmator can develop enough of a base to gradually add their own extended version.  (Or maybe if I bought it I might discover it's enough for me at $30, since I don't buy every latest version of PS since in fact I tend to skip two versions).  

Who are we to say Adobe charges too much for their products? Photoshop has been $700 for decades. If you're a TWiT listener... a running joke is saying something costs an "Alex" ($700, the price of Photoshop)

Nobody has challenged Adobe yet. There are plenty of cheaper software packages... but they aren't a good replacement for Adobe's offerings.

I just looked up Adobe's financials... they had over $4 billion in revenue last year... and a profit of over $800 million.

Do we now demand they lower their prices?
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


It's not a "free market", it's a monopoly market with network effects, so they charge whatever they want and customers have no choice but to pay it if they are doing graphics work.

 

Partially true. There are other image editing apps, but nothing comes close to Photoshop or Illustrator. Flash is far and away better than it's competitors, but it does have competitors (Silverlight, JavaFX((lol)), and to a degree HTML5). None of them really offer the abilities Flash does. But, it is still a free market, and if Adobe thinks it can charge these prices and make more money doing so, it's up to the market to tell them otherwise. I don't see a ton of people opting out of this considering how much of an upgrade photoshop is despite the wallet raping you'll get for all the untouched applications in this "suite"

Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
Groupthink is bad, mkay. Think Different is the motto.
Reply
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Autocad is $4000 a seat.

Maya and Smoke are $3500 a seat.

I doubt the people making money with these products complain about the cost.

How often do these upgrades come out that cost $3500-4000? How do the upgrade features compare to Creative Suite?

Until you can answer that, then this is not an accurate comparison.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Adobe Cash-in Suite 6.  This year we made the background dark grey and made our own cloud service that will be ready later.  Now open your wallet.

You forgot:

"We also changed the interface text back to upper & lowercase and reinstated the ability to click a pane title to collapse it in InDesign! Sure, we removed these features in CS5, but we know what we're doing!"
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you rely on the design view in Dreamweaver, you are not building very complex sites anyway so it should work just fine. Most modern sites are relying on conditional code, database queries, browser detection, dynamic CMS, cookies, and php, or some other scripting language none of which display in the design view or the local browser. As a code editor Dreamweaver is pretty good and it also does a decent job of ftp and collecting dependent files. I agree the new features are pretty useless and is not worth upgrading but it is part of the suite. That is the main problem with CS, the idea of having a suite where all the apps are upgraded at the same time, some more than others. It is aggravating, but it is still a better price than buying the apps you need by themselves even if you are not even using half of the other stuff that is included.

Excellent points!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Adobe Creative Suite 6 out now, Creative Cloud coming May 11