or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM's 'Wake Up' campaign expands, tells users to 'Be Bold'

RIM's 'Wake Up' campaign expands, tells users to 'Be Bold'

post #1 of 45
The culmination of Research in Motion's "Wake Up" advertising campaign, which kicked off with a mock protest outside an Apple Store in Sydney, Australia, is a new website that tells users to "Be Bold" and use BlackBerry for business.

The "Wake Up" campaign now features the website wakeupbebold.com, where a sort of manifesto for BlackBerry smartphones in the business world is read aloud by an Australian man. The reveal comes just a week after RIM admitted it was behind the campaign.

"For those of us with our eyes wide open, we need to realize there's only one device that means business," the narrator reads. "The brand that's been in business from the very beginning."

It concludes: "Wake Up. Be Bold. BlackBerry."

The "Wake Up" campaign was kicked off with a publicity stunt earlier this month, in which a mob of mock protestors spilled out of a large black bus to hold up signs and chant outside of an Apple retail store in Sydney. Initial reports suggested that Samsung could have been behind the stunt, but the company quickly denied involvement with the campaign.

RIM's campaign coincides with the release of BlackBerry 10 to developers last week. Devices running RIM's next-generation mobile operating system are expected to hit the market later this year.

BlackBerry

Until then, developers have been supplied with a prototype device to test BlackBerry 10 that analyst Mark Sue with RBC Capital Markets said looks like a shrunken PlayBook, RIM's touchscreen tablet, which has struggled to compete with Apple's iPad. The hardware, which is not intended to represent a final product, includes a 4.2-inch touchscreen at a resolution of 1,280 by 768 pixels, and it lacks a physical QWERTY keyboard.

RIM is hoping that BlackBerry 10 will help the company reverse its current course, as its smartphone sales have slipped while Apple and devices running Google Android have seized control of the market. Last month it was revealed that RIM is in talks with a financial adviser to assist the company in weighing strategic options, including the potential licensing of its software, or taking on an outside investment in the company.
post #2 of 45
Go back to sleep. This is one of the lamest ad campaigns I've ever seen - especially for a company that really needs something revolutionary if they want any chance of survival.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #3 of 45

Poor guys. Well, they had their shot at competency.

At least their site isn't in Flash, but it's pretty weird the way they did it.

Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 3.49.53 PM.png

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #4 of 45

Presumably "Be Bold" does not refer to the dated Blackberry Bold device, but means customers should migrate away from a physical keyboard to the iPhone touch screen available now.

post #5 of 45

So embarrassing ... 

post #6 of 45

Well if they do it in Flash, iOS users would not see anything.

But sounds like "Wake Up" campaign is for RIM itself, biting the dust Apple and Android leaving behind.

post #7 of 45

"Be Bold"... right.  Let's see what the passengers of the Titanic would have thought had the captain said that on the loudspeakers. :)

post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

"Be Bold"... right.  Let's see what the passengers of the Titanic would have thought had the captain said that on the loudspeakers. :)

Surprisingly (by today's standards), they'd be respectful and calm. 'Women and children first' worked back then. There was great civility until they felt that the deck was listing just a touch too much to remain so.

post #9 of 45
Pathetic that they did something that lame

Even moreso that the speaker and the highlighted text aren't in sync.

The message wasn't that bad but perhaps over some video or at least photos. Say 'inspired by' Apple and their iPhone/iPad ads

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #10 of 45

I am bold so shut the F%$# UP!!!!!!!!!!

I own an iPhone and 4 Macs.  Thats bold enough.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #11 of 45

double-facepalm-picard-riker-2.jpg

post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Surprisingly (by today's standards), they'd be respectful and calm. 'Women and children first' worked back then. There was great civility until they felt that the deck was listing just a touch too much to remain so.

Worked great for Schettino.. :)

post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post
*Double Facepalm*

Ah, but they only have one CEO now, right? 

post #14 of 45

Wake up

Be bold

Smell the roses

Take a chill pill

Pull the wedgie out of your crack

Get in line at the unemployment agency

Signed, RIM Management 

post #15 of 45

Holy hell, that's an annoying rant.  WTH are they thinking?

That's even worse than the Samsung Galaxy S3 commercial that showed all sorts of emotional moments without showing how they had the least bit of relevance to the SGS3, expect that it turns off when you fall asleep.  Who the hell makes these ads?

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"For those of us with our eyes wide open, we need to realize there's only one device that means business," the narrator reads. 

Yeah. The device that is utterly destroying your business. 

post #17 of 45

Advertising is the vilest of crap.

The only thing dumber than doing something stupid because everyone else has done so is refusing to do something intelligent because everyone else has done so.

post #18 of 45

The deal RIM did with Gameloft to port games to their "new" OS shows just how much Blackberry means business.

RIM are like a confused Alzheimer's patient wandering around with no idea what they are doing from one minute to the next.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #19 of 45

Unfortunately for them, their customers started to Wake Up and leave years ago.

post #20 of 45

More like "Be Old" mirite?

lol.gif

post #21 of 45

If I were an employee of RIM I would be looking for another job immediately.  All waiting is going to do is lower your chances of making a successful transition to another company.

post #22 of 45

Wake up! Even though the new Blackberry is far from done and may never ship, and is highly unlikely to come close to iOS anyway, there ARE old Blackberries still available! Wake up, be bold, and buy one of those! We don’t have to tell you why you’d get an old Blackberry instead of the latest-version iOS device—if you have to ask questions like that, you must be a “thinker” and not a “doer”! So stop being a mindless follower, and just do we what say without question!

(Nice lack of synch between voice and text motion, too. This text scroll is the “big thing” we’ve been counting down to, and they can’t even bother to make it even slightly polished?)

post #23 of 45
Whatever. Let's talk about RIM when they give the world something more than a new marketing slogan.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 45
Quote:
It concludes: "Wake Up. Be Bold. BlackBerry."

$5??

Tell them they're DREAMIN!

post #25 of 45

RIM wants customers to be bold, when all they can do is cling to their existing business model.

Problem is, RIM thinks they're in the handset business. They're not.

They're in the communications business.

The value behind the BlackBerry phone system is BlackBerry Messenger. It, and the backend services, are what make the platform valuable. Without it, a BlackBerry 10 is just a so-so phone with a decent keyboard and a one-trick camera.

To survive, RIM needs to roll out a secure, cross-platform messaging system for use on existing smartphones and tablets. That's iOS. That's Android. And that's Window's Phone.

post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The deal RIM did with Gameloft to port games to their "new" OS shows just how much Blackberry means business.

RIM are like a confused Alzheimer's patient wandering around with no idea what they are doing from one minute to the next.

Big Difference.   Alzheimer's patient just drift away over time but people that love them do care about them.  RIM is also drifting away but nobody gives a damn.

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

Big Difference.   Alzheimer's patient just drift away over time but people that love them do care about them.  RIM is also drifting away but nobody gives a damn.

The thing is RIM still thinks they exist and are reaching out, unfortunately for them their Alzheimer's seems to have led to the Eskimo solution.

post #28 of 45

It's the smell of panic in the air that makes it very unlikely that RIM will recover. They need to be treated by the Dog Whisperer. Calm assertiveness, boys. Make good products that the market wants, and then advertise that.

People complain about "Apple is all hype, no substance," forgetting the fact that they've built up a good record making things that people want in great numbers. That's what they're advertising, and that means each Apple ad starts with the ad half done by the record of the Jobs years. This empty posturing just makes you smell panic.

post #29 of 45

Extremely lame & embarrassing.  Instead of resorting to cheap marketing stunts, RIM should spend money on R&D and come up with a product that people want.

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post

Holy hell, that's an annoying rant.  WTH are they thinking?

That's even worse than the Samsung Galaxy S3 commercial that showed all sorts of emotional moments without showing how they had the least bit of relevance to the SGS3, expect that it turns off when you fall asleep.  Who the hell makes these ads?

Wasn't that a creepy commercial. I wonder if the Samsung SG3 watches you when your sleeping. The first time I find that thing on top of my chest when I wake up it's going out the window.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Extremely lame & embarrassing.  Instead of resorting to cheap marketing stunts, RIM should spend money on R&D and come up with a product that people want.

Actually I wouldn't mind having one of those developmemt phones with OS 10 on it. The specs aren't bad, also looks pretty neat. I think I will defiantly pick one up when their introduced in the fall. The last thing we want is for RIM to go out of business. The more Mobile platforms that exist the better, we need more choice not less. I fear the day when there will only be two OS's left on the market. 

post #32 of 45
You say, "... tells users to "Be Bold" and use BlackBerry for business." I say "begging" people to "Be Bold." and use BlackBerry. I don't want RIM to die (people need their jobs), but they have to do better than this.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I fear the day when there will only be two OS's left on the market. 

Yeah, iOS and Windows Phone 8. At least they'll be unique OS'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post
I don't want RIM to die (people need their jobs), but they have to do better than this.

I do. I want them gone before the end of the year. Then the people left there who actually have talents will be able to get jobs at competitors who won't suppress their ideas.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/7/12 at 5:20pm

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yeah, they keep mentioning business but define business to mean just being active and not what we would understand to be business but then they talk about how they've been in business from the beginning, which points to them being used by business customers.

Also, they are taking a similar approach to Samsung by insulting the customers they want to win over. Samsung thinks Apple customers are uninformed and have ideas above their station. Blackberry thinks Apple users are asleep, timid and just go with the herd. Then they ask if those people would like to buy their products.

Neither company adequately explains why people should be interested in switching over. Samsung has a big screen and a pen. Blackberry has a hardware keyboard. Google at least has their whole 'open' philosophy, which can be seen as an advantage over Apple's model but the others aren't really compelling.

I think this campaign is going to do RIM more harm than good. As soon as advertising declares their target as the market leader and gives no reason for their success besides that their customer base is deluded, they are finished. It is so full of desperation and the design is so generic. Why couldn't they have made a campaign called 'our products still have buttons!'? At least they'd have an audience. Oh yeah, Sony used that one already.

They also say there is no middle ground between being in business and not. It seems to me they are evidence of this middle ground and heading the wrong way.
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yeah. The device that is utterly destroying your business. 

While action is necessary, so is profit.  RIM never mentioned profit in their ad.  Guess they plan on making up the losses in quantity.

post #36 of 45

Wonder what the failed campaign cost RIM? They should be investing all funds into something physically more 'Bold' instead of just paying to talk about it.

post #37 of 45

Perhaps the message is intended for someone considering investing in RIM. That would be bold.

post #38 of 45

Sick of seeing Ads like this one that has no end product to show for it.

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The culmination of Research in Motion's "Wake Up" advertising campaign, which kicked off with a mock protest outside an Apple Store in Sydney, Australia, is a new website that tells users to "Be Bald"

This was probably just a typo. They just referred to Jim Balsillie.

post #40 of 45
This RIM marketing campaign is beyond pathetic. First, insult your users/potential users, then tell them they can only achieve redemption by pledging themselves to a nonexistent product.

With this appalling demonstration of willful stupidity, just who do they think try are kidding?
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › RIM's 'Wake Up' campaign expands, tells users to 'Be Bold'