or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage

Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage - Page 2

post #41 of 86

Skydrive is as exciting as watching Steve Ballmer comb his head.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #42 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Wow.  That's one ringing endorsement of Apple.  Not.

I've heard many, many reasons to buy apple products.  But never that one.

If people are honest and forthright, I think this is really one of the main reasons for using Apple gear and software.  (just so as to not have to sue a Microsoft product) I know it's one of my main motivations.  

Microsoft makes the worst OS I've ever seen or used and the worst Word processor I've ever used also (I never personally used much of the rest of their offerings although I have a lot of experience helping others with them).  It absolutely was my main motivation in choosing to switch to Macs that Microsoft personally made my life so much hell for so long with their awful awful products.  

I actually wanted to switch a lot sooner, but there wasn't anything better until OS-X 10.3 or so.  I'm a big Apple supporter and I used Macs all the way back to the classic days, but (again totally honest), I think the old Mac OS was pretty horrible and I didn't like it at all although I used it for work on a daily basis.  Same goes for OS-X until about 10.3 when it just *barely* nudged out Windows as a better alternative. 

I don't choose products based on what's popular or emotional stuff, I pick what I think is the best designed, most sensible alternative out of what's out there.  Sometimes you have to hold your nose and use the best of a bad lot.  That being said, it's still totally true (and a rational decision IMO) that I switched to OS X almost exclusively just to get away from the horror that is Microsoft.  

IMO they are just a disgusting immoral company run by yahoos that have no sense of style or design and who additionally make some of the worst products I've ever seen or used.

Who wouldn't run from that?  

post #43 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post

It competes with iCloud in almost no way on almost no platforms. Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

Very true. iCloud has a totally different intent and that is focused on the single user and his documents and data. That can work with skydive, not against it. Dropbox and such are the bigger issue

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #44 of 86
Quote:
iCloud's implementation of document access and sharing is cumbersome when compared to other iOS-centric services like Contact and Calendar updates,

And how exactly have Contact and Calendar updates anything to do with document sharing?

Apple dropped the (already dropped) ball with the horrid idisk... If they couldn't buy dropbox they should have looked for an alternative, or maybe not have been el cheapos and made dropbox a better offer. Icloud leaves a lot to be desired... And the compromised pages sharing feature works a little bit better than idisk, hardly a compliment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

Skydrive may not be a worthy replacement for Dropbox but this comparison page does point out that Apple is stubbornly sticking to it`s hatred of a file system.

They don't really hate the file system, they hate any system they don't offer. If they could/would buy dropbox they 'd love the file system as much as they 'll love the ipad mini of q4 2012.

Edited by myapplelove - 5/7/12 at 8:13pm
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Microsoft makes the worst OS I've ever seen 

Not so sure about that anymore, apple has delivered some real competition there with lion. 

post #46 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Not so sure about that anymore, apple has delivered some real competition there with lion. 

You'll want to work on your jokes.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #47 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You'll want to work on your jokes.

Let me have another go:

OS X Lion.
post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you look at the "computers" people use a great deal of Windows users also use iOS-based devices. MS looks to be using this to keep more people tied to the Windows ecosystem which seems to be slowly shrinking due to the iPad's success.
It played for me as a native MP4 in Safari 5.2 (8536.8.5) in ML Preview 3.1. Nothing on iPad or iPhone. Odd for a company that's trying to sell their iOS-compatible SkyDrive.

So, here's how this works: A MS fanboi watches the video and shes how nicely iPads and iPhones play with his PC so he goes out and buys them instead of waiting for the MS WinMo8 stuff.

Peace and Harmony reign in the valley and everyone but the troll under the bridge was happy. The Troll rubbed his sweaty armpits and screamed, "developers," over and over to no one in general.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #49 of 86
Quote:

Apple dropped the (already dropped) ball with the horrid idisk... If they couldn't buy dropbox they should have looked for an alternative, or maybe not have been el cheapos and made dropbox a better offer. Icloud leaves a lot to be desired... And the compromised pages sharing feature works a little bit better than idisk, hardly a compliment...

Jobs personally made a NINE digit offer to the Dropbox owner.

Hai Caramba!! That was hardly being el cheapo.

post #50 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The bolded sentence is incorrect. iCloud is supported on PCs:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/
The capabilities are somewhat limited (obviously, since Address Book doesn't work on Windows, it can't sync Address Book, but iCloud is supported at some level.

Yep. It is supported on PCs and not too badly it seems. But: Address book not synched to the PC?

If you look at this link: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html, you'll notice that it syncs at least:

- Mail (Outlook)

- Contacts (i.e. Address Book) (Outlook)

- Calendar and tasks (Outlook)

- Safari Bookmarks with Safari or Internet Explorer if Safari is not installed

- Photos

- Music

- iOS Apps

- eBooks

Regs,  Jarkko

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Yep. It is supported on PCs and not too badly it seems. But: Address book not synched to the PC?

If you look at this link: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html, you'll notice that it syncs at least:

- Mail (Outlook)

- Contacts (i.e. Address Book) (Outlook)

- Calendar and tasks (Outlook)

- Safari Bookmarks with Safari or Internet Explorer if Safari is not installed

- Photos

- Music

- iOS Apps

- eBooks

Regs,  Jarkko

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

The link that was auto-generated in your post had incorrectly included the trailing comma. Just one example of the algorithm from the '647 patent not working properly :)

post #52 of 86
Quote:

Lousy video.  Great Cloud service.  Take your pick as to which is more important.

Hmm, important... how about sharing and collaborating with documents other than Office documents.  Oh, wait - from the article:

Quote:
Like Google's recently-released Google Drive, Microsoft's service also allows for file sharing and collaboration, though only Office documents are supported at this time.

So their Cloud junk has the same limitation they are complaing about iCloud having.  Fail.

My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #53 of 86
Quote:

Let me have another go:
OS X Lion.

Let me try this joking thing.

Windows Vista. Pink.  Zune. PlaysForSure(tm). (The recently scrapped) Windows Live. Courier. Longhorn. WinFS. Etc. Etc. Etc.

post #54 of 86
Quote:

Wow.  That's one ringing endorsement of Apple.  Not.

I've heard many, many reasons to buy apple products.  But never that one.

Can you read? He bought an Apple product to avoid Microsoft products.  So did I, and it is indeed a ringing endorsement of Apple products that someone would pay over the odds for a better-quality computer system rather than put up with the junk Microsoft peddles.

post #55 of 86
Quote:

So what is Microsoft trying to accomplish? It competes with iCloud in almost no way on almost no platforms. Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

Since you brought up Google Drive, I want state my concern about storing anything with Google that might be mined by them for data about me and my connections to other people and companies. I have less concern with any other company-based cloud.

post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

I was using OneNote on SkyDrive instead of Evernote.  One night I was using it and had written a LOT of carefully formatted notes.  I kept referring back to what I had written throughout the evening and the notes were definitely "there".

The next morning I went back to read and update those notes further and they were gone.  They just vanished.  A whole evening of work was lost.

So I switched to Evernote and never looked back.

If I could only find a Mac-based equivalent for MS Visual Studio so I could update some .Net websites I look after then I could completely eliminate Microsoft from my life (except of course those .Net websites).

You can use Visual Studio, just install Wine 1.2 or above along with the version of .net you need. I use it quite often for work sites. You can also use Eclipse, just install the .net plugin. There are also many online IDE's now that you can use if you don't want to install anything. Have you ever browsed threw the online apps that are available threw Google Chrome, absolutly fantastic. There isn't an installed app that you can't replace with an online one. Oh you don't need Chrome to run them but it's still nice to have installed as the Google Chrome Store shows what's available.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #57 of 86
Quote:

Just be aware that you may need to rename your files if you've used characters that Windows doesn't like. For example, it won't let you use "report 3/1/07" or "June 2007 P&L".
So much for 'cross-platform compatibility'.

You can use a lot of those characters in windows but as soon as you use sharepoint it throws a wobbler with any extended characters.  Its a right pain in the ass when you are trying to explain to company directors that they have to remove non standard characters AND shorten file names due to the file path character limit in sharepoint too.  

post #58 of 86
Quote:

Lousy video.  Great Cloud service.  Take your pick as to which is more important.

Great service? Says who?

Oh, I get it. This is another of your fabricated reviews for a product you've never used.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #59 of 86

iCloud's limitations will disappear when Mountain Lion launches- you'll be able to save documents directly to the cloud.

post #60 of 86

I've actually switched over to SkyDrive for all of my online storage needs.  I dropped Dropbox because as an existing user of SkyDrive I got 25GB for free, and could pass up that much free space on a service I feel I can trust more than DropBox.  The real thing that made me want to switch was the fact that almost 2 years after Windows phone was released, we still don't have an official DropBox app for that platform.  Microsoft has every platform covered, and I enjoy being able to access all of my documents on my iPad and iPod.  Now all we need is Office for iOS and then I'll be really happy.

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

iPad 16 GB(1st gen), iPod touch 8 GB (4th gen), iPod shuffle (2nd gen), iPod shuffle (4th gen)

post #61 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

iCloud's limitations will disappear when Mountain Lion launches- you'll be able to save documents directly to the cloud.

You can already save documents directly to the cloud in some cases. That doesn't solve the problems, though.

1. Not all apps are supported. I would like to save ALL my documents
2. I keep my files organized by project. A typical project folder might have dozens of files of all types. Using the iCloud mechanism means that the files will be all over the place and assembling them together (such as to send the project folder to a colleague for review) is a pain.

I liked iDisk. While there are a number of people complaining about its limitations, it worked well for me. Simple, transparent, and all my files were available all the time in the format I created. Dropbox is similar. iCloud's document storage is completely useless for me.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #62 of 86
Quote:

Dropbox and Google Drive are where its focus should be.

I don't get it.

SkyDrive has clients for iPhone and iPad. Google Drive doesn't.

SkyDrive has 7GB or 25GB free storage. Google Drive has 5GB.

Storage upgrades for SkyDrive are more flexible and cheaper than Google Drive.

Both have an API's built on open standards.

Both allow documents to be uploaded, edited, shared and collaborated on.

Why should the focus be on Google Drive?
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

(The recently scrapped) Windows Live.

Please tell me you don't actually believe that?
post #64 of 86

ZZZ's response to me sounds like what a lazy IT guy would say who just wants to clear his queue of tickets so he can slack off with his buddies in the middle of the work day.  Who cares if problems are allowed to persist right?

Edited by MDCragg - 5/8/12 at 7:03am
post #65 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I don't get it.
SkyDrive has clients for iPhone and iPad. Google Drive doesn't.
SkyDrive has 7GB or 25GB free storage. Google Drive has 5GB.
Storage upgrades for SkyDrive are more flexible and cheaper than Google Drive.
Both have an API's built on open standards.
Both allow documents to be uploaded, edited, shared and collaborated on.
Why should the focus be on Google Drive?

I think Google Drive is a fine option. I like that it offers a unification that even surpasses Apple. Meaning, when you sign up for Google Drive using an account that you for Gmail and/or Gogole Docs all your file attachments and documents are already in your Google Drive. I can see a counter argument to that but I think that's pretty slick.

That said, I think SkyDrive is a better all around option than Google Drive.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #66 of 86

Nice try.  Not compelling enough to want to switch, plus I just don't trust M$.  Apple could learn a thing or two about some features iCloud lacks though.

post #67 of 86

Could Microsoft's hold on corporate client too strong even for Apple?

post #68 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Why would I want to do business with Microsoft when the very reason why I bought an Apple product is to NOT have to buy a Microsoft product?   We aren't stoopid Microsoft.  It's just Microsoft's way to sucker us into Microsoft because it gives them an ability to make some money because that's about the only way they might be able to.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for them...................  NOT!

Wait, what? I though every people who still hung up on the war against Microsoft are died of old age already. Why are you not dead? Can't be.

post #69 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post
Could Microsoft's hold on corporate client too strong even for Apple?

No, but since Apple really doesn't care, Microsoft gets to keep them for the time being.

post #70 of 86
Quote:

Wait, you can't type an ampersand in Windows? Ha! What happens if you view an HFS+… ah, I'll just check it myself. 

Can you type colons in Windows file names?

yes, you can have & in windows file names. 

NTFS aside, a lot of other file systems have file name / path name restrictions that HFS+ doesn't. Out of interest, do a search on your local drive, how many files have you created that have : in them? If you like we'll come back in a couple of months and argue about HFS+ vs ReFS.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems and see who's laughing then, or rather, to argue over such things is childish, achieves nothing, and ultimately steers clear of the actual debate here. iCloud vs SkyDrive.

I can only suspect you're picking faults with the lack of support for your colon, because iCloud is a far worse product, that until recently was running on a competitors cloud platform, and offers less functionality. Not that I expected AI to bring any of these points up when there's a poorly made movie to mock!! xD

post #71 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by shao View Post

If you like we'll come back in a couple of months and argue about HFS+ vs ReFS.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems and see who's laughing then, or rather, to argue over such things is childish, achieves nothing, and ultimately steers clear of the actual debate here. iCloud vs SkyDrive.

I can only suspect you're picking faults with the lack of support for your colon, because iCloud is a far worse product, that until recently was running on a competitors cloud platform, and offers less functionality. Not that I expected AI to bring any of these points up when there's a poorly made movie to mock!! xD

That's not at all what I was talking about, but whatever. lol.gif

post #72 of 86

Actually, iCloud can do that too.

iCloud CAN sync your contacts and calendars to a Windows computer, if that computer has Outlook or Outlook Express installed. The native apps don't have the ability to wireless sync, if I'm not mistaken.

iCloud can also manage to sync Photo Stream, Bookmarks/Favorites, and Notes to PCs.

For any of this to happen, one needs the iCloud Control Panel for Windows installed.

See this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

post #73 of 86

And documents? Piece of cake. The iOS apps can save a version as MS Office formats at any time. If you'd like to send one from your PC to your iGadget, easy. You can drag and drop through the web browser or email the file. Your choice.

As usual, someone at MS decided that the facts weren't important.

post #74 of 86

Actually given a choice when trust comes into play I would have to side in this order:

Apple

MS

Dropbox

Google

Apple and MS make it to the top as they are paid services that don't rely on advertising.  I know DB doesn't as well, but 'free' isn't always free, I don't care what they say.  

Google has gone from Don't be evil to Don't appear evil (or AKA settle out of court).  I believe that they have inserted themselves into our lives via search quite enough.  The last thing I need is for them to index my documents for more sponsored AD content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Nice try.  Not compelling enough to want to switch, plus I just don't trust M$.  Apple could learn a thing or two about some features iCloud lacks though.

post #75 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhazsabres View Post

And documents? Piece of cake. The iOS apps can save a version as MS Office formats at any time. If you'd like to send one from your PC to your iGadget, easy. You can drag and drop through the web browser or email the file. Your choice.

As usual, someone at MS decided that the facts weren't important.

And if you wanted to use iCould for non-Office files? I also can't find an ability to just map iCloud as a virtual folder of any kind. The method I found doesn't work.

The mechanism to move files via the web page doesn't use drag and drop, it's upload and download. Right now, even that's not working for me, I get a notice that I can't download any file in any file format.
Edited by JeffDM - 5/8/12 at 10:57am
post #76 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Microwho?

Microsoft is a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company with 92000 employees that completely dominates the Operating System market. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

post #77 of 86
Quote:

No, but since Apple really doesn't care, Microsoft gets to keep them for the time being.

Lol yeah right, I doubt these figures are just for corporate clients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

post #78 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Lol yeah right, I doubt these figures are just for corporate clients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

No, they're for all users, obviously. On the consumer front in the US, Apple makes up almost 15%. On the corporate front, it's, what, 5%?

post #79 of 86

I'm truly amazed when people crap all over someone trying to give Apple competition for their excellent but over-priced products. Seriously, it is online storage so the best $/G is what people should be pushing for, assuming similar/same functionality, and not blindly saying Apple is better at everything at all times. I for one applaud Microsoft, DropBox, SugarSync, and all the other cloud-based storage offerings. If you want to overspend for basic online storage synchronization, just to put an "i in front of cloud storage, then by all means give up your hard-earned money to Cook, who will gladly pad his bank account.

post #80 of 86
Quote:

You can already save documents directly to the cloud in some cases. That doesn't solve the problems, though.
1. Not all apps are supported. I would like to save ALL my documents
2. I keep my files organized by project. A typical project folder might have dozens of files of all types. Using the iCloud mechanism means that the files will be all over the place and assembling them together (such as to send the project folder to a colleague for review) is a pain.
I liked iDisk. While there are a number of people complaining about its limitations, it worked well for me. Simple, transparent, and all my files were available all the time in the format I created. Dropbox is similar. iCloud's document storage is completely useless for me.

No one disliked what idisk was supposed to offer, everyone disliked what it was actually offering: bugs on every other file transfer, it worked a tad better with a third party webdav client such as cyberback, but its integration with the finder was simply atrocious. Enter dropbox which works like a charm, never had a single problem with it, it's probably on of the most bug free software/service I have ever used, although they could do better in upgrading their storage and prices. How about offering 1.5 gb to all the free users, and giving us paid subscribers 20gb more each, just a thought. 1wink.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft looks to woo iCloud users with SkyDrive comparison webpage