or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iOS Google+ app gets major overhaul

iOS Google+ app gets major overhaul

post #1 of 37
Google updated its Google+ social networking app for iOS on Wednesday, combining significant design changes under the hood with a more integrated user interface experience.

The Mountain View-based company's playful naming scheme continues with Google+ version 2.0.0.5888 and while the service's main features like Circles, photo galleries and Messenger remain unchanged, the overall UI has been noticeably reworked.

The revamped iOS app reflects a design inspired by the recently-renovated Google+ web destination, which the company says is a step in the direction of a "simpler, more beautiful Google." There, as with the new app, layout is defined by soft lines and curves, clean text and an emphasis on media.

Perhaps the most prominent feature of the iPhone-only program is its depiction of photos in the smooth-scrolling post stream. As a user moves past one entry, the next "falls down" in a dissolve-in animation at the bottom of the screen while pictures from the current post, called "full-bleed photos" by Google, occupy most of the display's real estate.

Copious use of gradients and other visual tricks comprise the main stream page while more basic tap-and-swipe lists are arranged in categories to take care of data organization. Rounding out the app are backend improvements and smaller UI tweaks like button placement and fonts.

Google+
Google+ for iOS post stream (left), contents page (middle), and Messenger (right). | Source: Google

Interestingly, Google rolled out the iOS version of Google+ before launching the app on its own mobile OS, though the company's Senior Vice President of Engineering Vic Gundotra said that the "Android update is coming in a few weeks (with a few extra surprises)." The iPad is still left without a native version and there was no announcement made as to whether a universal iOS app is being developed.
post #2 of 37
So iOS gets Google+ app first but Android is winning?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is Google + anyway?

I no longer log into anything Google on my MacBook, ever since they lied to me and overrode my decision to not allow their cookies through underhanded means i.e. hacking my browser.

**** them.

Edit:-

I see there is now a swearing asterisk filter thingy on this new forum.

What I really meant to say is:-

F

U

C

K

them!

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What is Google + anyway?

Their social networking.

post #5 of 37
Quote:

What is Google + anyway?

It's Google Buzz + Google Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their social networking.

Nah, that's called orkut.

post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their social networking.

Like Bebo or Ping?

post #7 of 37
Quote:
Like Bebo or Ping?

Yes, but even LESS relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post
It's Google Buzz + Google Wave.

Two discontinued services for the price* of one!

*your online soul

Quote:

Nah, that's called orkut.

Ah, Tagalog for "crap", I see.

post #8 of 37

LOLz who uses this?  Its already the way of myspace.  

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #9 of 37
Quote:

What is Google + anyway?

I no longer log into anything Google on my MacBook, ever since they lied to me and overrode my decision to not allow their cookies through underhanded means i.e. hacking my browser.

lol @ hacking your browser...you might as well not use the internet if that's your main concern.

post #10 of 37
Quote:

iOS doesn't get Google+ app first -- I am currently on version 2.5.0.329322 (the iOS app is 2.0.0.5888). Google is testing some features on Android first, others on iOS first... not a big deal. Android and iOS are good friends :-)

fixed.jpg
Edited by DrDoppio - 5/10/12 at 7:08am
post #11 of 37

If you think Facebook treats user's privacy like crap, know that Google+ iPhone app will upload ALL your photos on your phone without asking for permission and over 3G. You will need to dig into its settings to prevent this.

post #12 of 37

Apple is like that consistent A plus student who is expected to excel beyond any rating system. They may have to invent a triple A plus, plus, plus for Apple just to rate the same as a mediocre or failing company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #13 of 37

Nah. It's the first letters in the anagram of "eat". Maybe Google should have been called it "la crosse" or "pinto" though.

Tea
Ate
Eta

Quote:

Edited by uguysrnuts - 5/10/12 at 6:33am
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

If you think Facebook treats user's privacy like crap, know that Google+ iPhone app will upload ALL your photos on your phone without asking for permission and over 3G. You will need to dig into its settings to prevent this.

Really? I just downloaded it and the first thing it asked me was how I would like to upload my photos. Three options were presented, Wifi + 3G, Wifi only, and off.

Nice bit of FUD you put out there.

The chat thing is a little clunky (it has a fixed height row for chat so long lines get cropped), but apart from that initial impressions are positive. 

post #15 of 37
Quote:

+1!

Ooops.
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt View Post

On Android at least you are alerted to this optional feature as.soon as.you install and open the app. I had assumed it was the same on iOS.
Edited by AbsoluteDesignz - 5/10/12 at 3:09am
post #17 of 37

I like G+, I like Facebook and I like Twitter. To me, they are like different television channels where it's the content I'm consuming - not the brand of station. 

I wish they had added Hangouts and G+Pages to the iOS version.

Another improving item would be to be able to +1 to any one of your G+Pages - this should be introduced for the web browser G+ +1 buttons too.

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol @ hacking your browser...you might as well not use the internet if that's your main concern.

There's truth to that, but I do find it highly questionable of a large company that once had "don't be evil" as a motto to do any work to bypass a user's privacy settings without the user's permission.
post #19 of 37

Jeff, according to users even Apple themselves are bypassing user's preferences and placing cookies when they supposedly were blocked. Don't you find it odd that if the Safari flaw that allowed it was truly a bug that it's still not been fixed with an update? It's been weeks since it became an issue in the press, and Apple has yet to say they will offer a fix, only that they were considering it. In the meantime other sites are still placing cookies against user's wishes even if Google themselves aren't doing so anymore.

I personally take that as an indicator that it may be an intentional hole rather than an error. Just my opinion of course.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Really? I just downloaded it and the first thing it asked me was how I would like to upload my photos. Three options were presented, Wifi + 3G, Wifi only, and off.

Nice bit of FUD you put out there.

The chat thing is a little clunky (it has a fixed height row for chat so long lines get cropped), but apart from that initial impressions are positive. 

It didn't prompt me at all.

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

I like G+, I like Facebook and I like Twitter. To me, they are like different television channels where it's the content I'm consuming - not the brand of station. 

I wish they had added Hangouts and G+Pages to the iOS version.

Another improving item would be to be able to +1 to any one of your G+Pages - this should be introduced for the web browser G+ +1 buttons too.

Both Facebook and Google+ suck at the quality of their mobile interface. As far as I can tell, they're both flailing about cluelessly in a world that has suddenly gone mobile.
post #22 of 37

Note that a new EU "Cookie Law" goes into effect later this year. It won't be good enough for web sites to have a opt-out option any longer. Users must be given on opt-in offer, giving them a more transparent view on what they've agreed to share and what their privacy options are. 

http://news.thewherebusiness.com/location-based-services/eu-cookies-law-deadline-looms-–-are-you-ready?utm_source=http%3a%2f%2fuk.thewherebusiness.com%2ffc_thewherebusinesslz%2f&utm_medium=

95% Don't Comply

A survey from KPMG last month showed that 95 percent of major UK organisations in the public and private sectors still did not comply with the new EU cookie law. Meanwhile, mobile service providers and other companies providing geo-location services that are equally unprepared, and maybe believe they are immune, should think again.

Last year, the Article 29 Working Party, an independent data protection body representing the EU’s data protection authorities and the European Commission, issued an opinion defining the impact on geo-location services.

“The Article 29 Working Party clarified that consent for processing of location data must be express to be valid and cannot be obtained through implied consent to general terms and conditions alone,” warns Belinda Doshi, partner and head of the technology and privacy practice at law firm Nabarro LLP.

“Location services should be switched off - an opt-out mechanism would not constitute an adequate mechanism to obtain informed user consent.”

post #23 of 37
Quote:

What is Google + anyway?

Quote:
Their social networking.

It is a Fake facebook...

post #24 of 37

For web privacy issues, cookies, and trackers plus all of googles junk check out abine.com "privacy plus" it's a very efficient free service and works on all browsers. they also have "delete me" and "google sharing" which stop a bunch of other stuff in it's tracks (pardon the pun) all free just go over there and look the place over I think you'll be surprised :-)

I'll have to add it is so efficient it renders some sites un-usable so there is a button on the corner of your browser to turn it off for that site if you need to. this button also shows what is being blocked on each site. I was amazed at how many cookies, trackers etc. where on so many sites some have 15-20 on one site. Like I said though some sites wont work with it on; seems they have set it up where they either track you or you dont use their service... google search is one of them...

post #25 of 37

Here is what it showed right here

Capture AI blocking.JPG

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by not1lost View Post

Here is what it showed right here

Capture AI blocking.JPG

Odd that you'd be comfortable with Facebook tracking apparently. Was that an oversight or am I reading the screenshot wrong?

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Odd that you'd be comfortable with Facebook tracking apparently. Was that an oversight or am I reading the screenshot wrong?

I'm not so much concerned about being tracked as much as what they are doing with that info. It's not up to me or you anyway, it's just what this site is allowing... the service just shows the activity on each site and what you can do or not do about it. At least you will know what is going on behind the scans. and most are blocked. that screen shot was from my firefox browser I was using because I wanted to see the video of Woz and it wouldn't play in Chrome so far in about two weeks the blocked number on Chrome is showing 4755 blocked... so it is helping block many and the others, well at least I know what is going on behind the scenes. these things are what the webmaster allows; I build websites and on my main website you can go there and there is ONE tracking cookie which I allowed for my site stats or I wouldn't be able to see where my traffic is coming from. It helps to know who your visitors are; so some of the tracking is legit.

post #28 of 37

To answer your question about facebook here on this site; it's one of those cases where if I dont want facebook tracking me here then I just cant use the site.... there is nothing I can do in this case if I want to visit Apple insider. Actually it's the "Like" button they put on here and the auto-login with facebook that is doing it. I understand though that is very useful in the way the web works nowdays...

post #29 of 37
Quote:
To answer your question about facebook here on this site; it's one of those cases where if I dont want facebook tracking me here then I just cant use the site...

Does it matter if you don't have a Facebook account?

And what's that extension of yours? Seems interesting. 

I use these five, plus AdBlock and Ghostery.

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 8.14.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 8.14.13 PM.png

post #30 of 37
Quote:

Does it matter if you don't have a Facebook account?

And what's that extension of yours? Seems interesting. 

I use these five, plus AdBlock and Ghostery.

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 8.14.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-11 at 8.14.13 PM.png

"Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out" (TACO) it is by Abine they have a video about it here - 

as far as facebook tracking, I'm not sure if it matters if you have an account? that is an interesting question...
post #31 of 37
Quote:
"Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out" (TACO) it is by Abine they have a video about it here - 

Ah, I already had it. How nice.

Quote:
as far as facebook tracking, I'm not sure if it matters if you have an account? that is an interesting question...

Well, if you don't have an account with them, you don't use their services, and you've no presence with them, where's the milage in them tracking what you do to serve you ads? They can't serve you ads because you're not there to serve. And they can't know about your existence at all without some way to connect you to them. Sure, they can worm their grimy little mitts into every site (like here now, apparently, for whatever reason…), but unless they're just following you from your account with them, their use of information you give to that site would be illegal.

On that, what DOES Facebook do here, anyway? Can people post using their Facebook account or something? I didn't even know there was a Facebook button here until I saw someone complain about it. I turned off my extensions and there it was, up by the username button. 

If they can post from Facebook, then I'm not even going to be able to see any of those posts since my extensions block that sort of thing. They can make fun of me all they want and I'll never know. lol.gif

post #32 of 37
Quote:

Ah, I already had it. How nice.

Well, if you don't have an account with them, you don't use their services, and you've no presence with them, where's the milage in them tracking what you do to serve you ads? They can't serve you ads because you're not there to serve. And they can't know about your existence at all without some way to connect you to them. Sure, they can worm their grimy little mitts into every site (like here now, apparently, for whatever reason…), but unless they're just following you from your account with them, their use of information you give to that site would be illegal.

On that, what DOES Facebook do here, anyway? Can people post using their Facebook account or something? I didn't even know there was a Facebook button here until I saw someone complain about it. I turned off my extensions and there it was, up by the username button. 

If they can post from Facebook, then I'm not even going to be able to see any of those posts since my extensions block that sort of thing. They can make fun of me all they want and I'll never know. lol.gif

Yeah, that was what I was talking about when I said it renders some sites unusable. I should have added it renders some "parts" of some sites unusable. I turn it off now and then just to see what is there then turn it back on.... That's how I knew it was here. Users like you and I with this stuff running, like you said would never know... I like to know even if I can't do anything about it but most of the time I can and do. 

for those of you that would like to know more about the "TACO" extension here is the developers website: http://targeted-advertising-cookie-opt-out-taco.en.softonic.com/ but really all you need to do is go to www.abine.com and download the whole privacy suite.

And, Hey! that's right they could be saying all kinds of stuff about me and I wouldn't know it... LOL! I dont care

Yep, your right about facebook, there would be no reason for them to track you if you didn't have an account...

post #33 of 37

Looks like they have pulled the video about TACO for now. Seems it is not fully functioning in the newest version of firefox "yet" that's why there were some showing in my screen shot that were not being blocked.... Although Abine's "Do not track plus" works well by itself. I have it installed on IE, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. you have to go to the site and install it individually on each browser. For anyone who would like to know more here is a video That Works explaining Abine's Do Not Track Plus: http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

post #34 of 37

Here is a YouTube video link I found that tells more about Do Not Track Plus: http://youtu.be/D-cwcWiB8mU 

Edited by not1lost - 5/11/12 at 6:34pm
post #35 of 37

SO HERE IS ABINE'S DO NOT TRACK PLUS' ANSWER TO THOSE WHO COME INTO OUR HOME OF OFFICE WITHOUT BEING ASKED AND THINK THAT WE OWE THEM SOMETHING FOR VISITING THEIR WEBSITE. A DESCRIPTION OF WHAT HAPPENS TO THEIR BLASTED COOKIES OUT TO GET OUR MONEY!!!! CRY YOUR HEART OUT BABY!!!! 

post #36 of 37
Quote:

To answer your question about facebook here on this site; it's one of those cases where if I dont want facebook tracking me here then I just cant use the site.... there is nothing I can do in this case if I want to visit Apple insider. Actually it's the "Like" button they put on here and the auto-login with facebook that is doing it. I understand though that is very useful in the way the web works nowdays...

No Scripts add-on with Firefox blocks Facebook AFAIK, and still lets me use AI. I'm on Chrome now or I'd confirm that, but to the best of my knowledge I've blocked nearly all scripts. A very few are needed for the site to deliver results.

Oh, and those "Like" buttons...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/as-like-buttons-spread-so-do-facebooks-tentacles/

post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No Scripts add-on with Firefox blocks Facebook AFAIK, and still lets me use AI. I'm on Chrome now or I'd confirm that, but to the best of my knowledge I've blocked nearly all scripts. A very few are needed for the site to deliver results.

Oh, and those "Like" buttons...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/as-like-buttons-spread-so-do-facebooks-tentacles/

Yep, your right that works, and yeah I know about those like buttons......
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › iOS Google+ app gets major overhaul