post #121 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nope! There are three basic types of flash NAND. SLC, MLC and TLC. SLC is the most reliable. MLC is next. TLC is the least reliable. TLC is also the cheapest, and is often used in the cheapest sticks, and sometimes in the cheapest SD and Compact Flash cards. It's true that TLC is a relation to MLC, which is just two bits, whereas TLC is three, but is also moving to four at some point. But they have to be made differently enough that they can be considered a different type, as SLC and MLC are. It's the newest type as well.

My point was simple:  SLC, MLC and TLC flash are all used in consumer flash products and the price of 32GB SLC flash isn't all that high.

Quote:

If what you said about the difference between SLC and MLC drives being different mainly because of the controllers were true (it isn't) then I wouldn't have posted what I did. 

I didn't say that.  I said the difference between high grade consumer MLC in SSDs and low grade consumer MLC in USB keys are the controllers.  Yes, I glossed over TLCs as part of MLCs but the trend remains the same.  The higher density the flash the lower the P/E cycles ether from process node (20nm) or from more bits (3 bpc).  The mitigation strategy is the same:  couple cheaper higher density flash with smarter controllers for the desired duty cycle. 

TLCs will end up with the same effective P/E cycles eventually by using more spare cells and better wear algorithms.  When this happens they will appear in SSDs just like 2 bpc MLC flash did.

Quote:
None of this is relevant to Apple's iOS devices, as they all use MLC. But a normal markup on part prices for manufacturers is between 100 and 300%. Apple isn't asking too much for it.
You should go to Newegg and look at prices for HDD's. You'll find that those branded with HP, IBM, Lenovo, etc, cost several times as much as those from Seagate, WB, etc. this is normal.
If Apple pays $50 for flash, I would expect them to charge between $100-150 for it in the device pricing. The Motorola tablet cost $200 more for an extra 32 GB when it first came out, as did the 3G/GPS add-on. And the basic tablet itself cost $599.

Apple doesn't pay $50 for 32GB MLC flash.  I'd be surprised if they pay the $30 estimated by iSuppli.  

Apple is asking a lot for their flash upgrades but the market is willing to pay it.