or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off' - Page 3

post #81 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If only there was some engine to which to search for "Nokia," "maps" and "C3 Technologies. (missing my rolleyes emoticon)

Yes, that is why Nokia is now going with Bing and Apple only bought the company in 2011, they didn't create it. The newest release of Nokia Drive no longer uses C3 with Maps to follow.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #82 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You mean something that has a conversational interface with semantic analysis and context awareness?  Wow.  Wouldn't that be neat!

Something so simple any yahoo could use it and I wouldn't have to ask my butler Jeeves to find the answer. Something so powerful that you'd get excited and googly-eyed over the concept that it could give you results for more than a googolplex of data. Something so fast that the results would bing back almost instantly. (That's all I can think of)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #83 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


 Patiently awaits apology and an address to ship the humble pie.

None needed, Apple only acquired C3, it's not a Apple project. I'm looking for when the agreement between Nokia and C3 ends but I believe it is 2013. Bing will become Nokia's Map provider.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #84 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. I am not going to use another mapping program when I can have my directions so much faster by typing it in my browse then playing with some program. My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions. The iPhone is way to small to stare at in the car and the iPad is way to big hold while driving. There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything. I'm sure it's pretty and has amazing graphics with spinning globes and all the hoopla but at the end of the day it wont provide me with better directions then what I'm currently getting from Google or my sat unit. I'm sure my children will use it for their geography homework though. So keep your links to your self, especially when I cant see it for myself yet and it's just some article declaring how great it is.

 

Typical response.

 

Deny the facts.  Proclaim anyone but Apple "the greatest thing ever."  Move the "goal post."  Use insults since the evidence contradicts your stated position.  Denigrate Apple and anything Apple could possibly do to improve consumer electronics as too little, too late.

 

Is there a handbook for this?  Crayon perhaps?

 

 

See that.  You moved the goal post.  I didn't see it but I knew it was coming.

 

More insults next?  I am taking notes.  On the other hand, let me go find my notes from my class on Identifying and Understanding Logical Fallacies.


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/11/12 at 4:40pm
post #85 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Something so simple any yahoo could use it and I wouldn't have to ask my butler Jeeves to find the answer. Something so powerful that you'd get excited and googly-eyed over the concept that it could give you results for more than a googolplex of data. Something so fast that the results would bing back almost instantly. (That's all I can think of)

 

The Spanish have a name for high view...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #86 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure.
So now we see the goal posts on Apple as a successful company moved once again. They don't have their own search engine so any mapping program will suck by default. There is something seriously wrong with you(r comments).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes, that is why Nokia is now going with Bing and Apple only bought the company in 2011, they didn't create it. The newest release of Nokia Drive no longer uses C3 with Maps to follow.
1) Who hear said that Apple created C3 Technologies? It seems to me that the statement of Apple acquiring C3 Technologies is a clear indication that they didn't own C3 otherwise buying what they already own would make no sense. Can you really not see how irrational your comments are?

2) To be clear, MBP stated "You do realize the 3D Maps feature in Nokia Maps is provided by Apple (formerly C3 Technologies)?" for which you responded with "Nokia does not use Apple's mapping service, where did you hear that from." and he responded with proof that Nokia's 3D Maps used C3 which is now a part of Apple. So yes, an apology would be appropriate. If you don't I will have to give you a time out.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #87 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. 

 

Refer to

post #88 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Typical response.

Deny the facts.  Proclaim anyone but Apple "the greatest thing ever."  Move the "goal post."  Use insults since the evidence contradicts your stated position.  Denigrate Apple and anything Apple could possibly do to improve consumer electronics as too late, too late.

Is there a handbook for this?  Crayon perhaps?

What ever, I'm happy typing in my starting point address then my destination address and hitting enter. Google maps pops up and I click print. I don't need another program to do something that takes me 5 seconds to do. If you need something that has an Apple logo on it then so be it. Whatever cool 3D graphic, retina display magic isn't going to make the functionality any different. I also have a Nokia N9 with Nokia Maps, used it maybe twice to play around with it, I've also used Bing Maps and I will use this Apples new one as well. In the end though, I will always go back to my aforementioned methods because they're fast and they work.

Google Maps has access to satellite imagery that no other company has access to. Remember that little article that was posted the other day how Apple only spends 500,000 dollars for lobbying and Google spends something like 30 million, well.........
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #89 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So now we see the goal posts on Apple as a successful company moved once again. They don't have their own search engine so any mapping program will suck by default. There is something seriously wrong with you(r comments).
1) Who hear said that Apple created C3 Technologies? It seems to me that the statement of Apple acquiring C3 Technologies is a clear indication that they didn't own C3 otherwise buying what they already own would make no sense. Can you really not see how irrational your comments are?
2) To be clear, MBP stated "You do realize the 3D Maps feature in Nokia Maps is provided by Apple (formerly C3 Technologies)?" for which you responded with "Nokia does not use Apple's mapping service, where did you hear that from." and he responded with proof that Nokia's 3D Maps used C3 which is now a part of Apple. So yes, an apology would be appropriate. If you don't I will have to give you a time out.

Fine I'm sorry for saying that Nokia doesn't use an Apple acquired technology.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #90 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


First, screw you, second, I don't care how spectacular Apple's mapping software is. Can I open up a browser and just type "give me directions from point a to point b", no, because Apple doesn't have a search engine. So it's a big bucket of failure. I am not going to use another mapping program when I can have my directions so much faster by typing it in my browse then playing with some program. My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions. The iPhone is way to small to stare at in the car and the iPad is way to big hold while driving. There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything. I'm sure it's pretty and has amazing graphics with spinning globes and all the hoopla but at the end of the day it wont provide me with better directions then what I'm currently getting from Google or my sat unit. I'm sure my children will use it for their geography homework though. So keep your links to your self, especially when I cant see it for myself yet and it's just some article declaring how great it is.

 

 

First... I appreciate your condition -- hospitalized with  an opium drip...  and that you may not survive...  or even leave the hospital...

 

That said, you can't expect to play the pity card when the need arises and then continue to lambaste Apple and posters here -- that it's products (announced and unannounced) do not and will not meet your requirements...

 

It just isn't logical to tell someone "screw you" and "My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions"... all things considered...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #91 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


First... I appreciate your condition -- hospitalized with  an opium drip...  and that you may not survive...  or even leave the hospital...

That said, you can't expect to play the pity card when the need arises and then continue to lambaste Apple and posters here -- that it's products (announced and unannounced) do not and will not meet your requirements...

It just isn't logical to tell someone "screw you" and "My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions"... all things considered...

I'm not asking for a pity card, the fact of the matter is you guys I really won't be with you much longer so who cares, I pretty much lost my battle with cancer and there isn't much anyone can do . My BMW does have a voice activated NAV unit, I wasn't bragging I just said my BMW because if you have one you would know how good the NAV unit is, It's a cute little blue 3 series that I bought in Nov, 2010. Look I'm just debating this new revolutionary new product, nothing to get upset about. My point is how many people actually start up a independent mapping program, not many. No most likely your surfing for a new restraunt or your on a telephone call and someone says, hey meet me at so and so location. Most people immediately go to their web-browser and type the address into Google. Then wham there you go, you have the address with directions. I never use Google Earth with all that fancy 3D crap and I don't think many people do either unless their playing or doing research. I'm also afraid that Apple will remove Google's map services from Apple Store. I'm really getting tired of Apple banning software that competes with it's own. That's a monopoly and it's wrong.

Oh and I wasn't ambaste (sorry english, again is my third language) or whatever that means to anyone, Macbook Pro guy called me an idiot and a 3yr so I said screw you.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #92 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Go here

 

Notice the "C3 Technologies" acknowledgement on the lower left?

While I'm sure you are correct . . . No, I don't see it. (But hey, I haven't been able to load the Bank of America website for a few days since the recent Safari update either.) I believe you anyway.

post #93 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
There is absolutely nothing Apple can bring to the table that will change anything.
 

Huh. So the ability to simply dock your iPad in the dash of your vehicle and pull up all sorts of information about the vehicle in addition to controlling its entire media and climate center and getting turn-by-turn directions pushed through your speakers, smoothly pausing your music/video/et. al. while it does so wouldn't "change anything"?

Then where can I get one of these awesome cars that does this already!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
That said, you can't expect to play the pity card when the need arises and then continue to lambaste Apple and posters here -- that it's products (announced and unannounced) do not and will not meet your requirements...

 

It just isn't logical to tell someone "screw you" and "My BMW also has a built in voice activated Nav unit that I can ask to give me directions"... all things considered...

 

Love ya, Dick. Though I suppose I was supposed to not reply at all and just click that faceless thumb. Seems to be the modern thing to do. lol.gif

 

Quote:

I'm also afraid that Apple will remove Google's map services from Apple Store. I'm really getting tired of Apple banning software that competes with it's own. That's a monopoly and it's wrong.

 

Don't worry; that's not happening. Google's myriad services still provide a great deal more minute features than Apple's solution will, and I say that having not seen their final product. And no, it's not 'a monopoly'. How long has it been since Apple did that, anyway?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #94 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Google Maps has access to satellite imagery that no other company has access to.

 

You may be correct but you haven't substantiated that statement.

 

 

According to a CNet interview with with Lars Rasmussen, lead engineer of the Google Maps project, "Google Maps was originally a C++ app intended to be downloaded separately," he recalled, harking back to the days before the acquisition of his start-up company, Where 2 Technologies, by Google last October.

However, that changed when Rasmussen and his colleagues--looking for some venture capital--pitched their mapping expertise to Google.

At that point, the team changed their development model and started focusing on the Web instead. "We were surprised by the things you could do in a Web browser," he said.

 

 

I guess Google Maps isn/t spectacular since it is acquired technology?!?!

 

 

According to Google, "Google offers high resolution imagery for thousands of cities, and more are on the way. Most of this imagery is approximately one to three years old and provides an aerial view about 800-1500 feet from the ground."  

 

Not satellite imagery to which no one else has access.

 

To quote you, "Please don't make stuff up."


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/11/12 at 5:15pm
post #95 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

While I'm sure you are correct . . . No, I don't see it. (But hey, I haven't been able to load the Bank of America website for a few days since the recent Safari update either.) I believe you anyway.

In all fairness, only the 3D data is from Apple (formerly C3 Technologies).  You may be on a different view although I suspect you could figure that out.

 

As far as Bank of America, have you tried using the User Agent?  I have had major success with that in the past though not always.

post #96 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Google maps pops up and I click print.
So you're printing your directions. That surely explains why you would have no use for 3D mapping that is only useful on a monitor but it doesn't explain why anything Apple has done or could do in the future you've deemed pointless, stupid, or done first by someone else in some rudimentary way thus making any advancement by Apple pathetic..

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #97 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

You may be correct but you haven't substantiated that statement.


According to a CNet interview with with Lars Rasmussen, lead engineer of the Google Maps project, "Google Maps was originally a C++ app intended to be downloaded separately," he recalled, harking back to the days before the acquisition of his start-up company, Where 2 Technologies, by Google last October.



However, that changed when Rasmussen and his colleagues--looking for some venture capital--pitched their mapping expertise to Google.



At that point, the team changed their development model and started focusing on the Web instead. "We were surprised by the things you could do in a Web browser," he said.





I guess Google Maps isn/t spectacular since it is acquired technology?!?!



According to Google, "
Google offers high resolution imagery for thousands of cities, and more are on the way. Most of this imagery is approximately one to three years old and provides an aerial view about 800-1500 feet from the ground."  


Not satellite imagery to which no one else has access.


To quote you, "Please don't make stuff up."
GeoEye One orbiter
I wan't lying or making things up Google signed a deal with GeoEye back in 2008 to get exclusive imagery and the sat photos for most of the world except for places like China or Russia are newer then 3 years old.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #98 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

While I'm sure you are correct . . . No, I don't see it. (But hey, I haven't been able to load the Bank of America website for a few days since the recent Safari update either.) I believe you anyway.

It doesn't show up until you DL and install the plug-in.


edit: Yikes! That Nokia plug-in was not kind to Safari or my system. My CPU was spiked and my fans were going at full blast and that was just trying to do a search which wouldn't even input the text as I typed it. I hope Apple has worked out the issues to make it render smoothly and fast.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/11/12 at 5:26pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #99 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


None needed, Apple only acquired C3, it's not a Apple project. I'm looking for when the agreement between Nokia and C3 ends but I believe it is 2013. Bing will become Nokia's Map provider.

So I assume you realize that Google acquired and didn't create their mapping software either? (although they did do a lot of work to adapt it to their needs.)

 

Apple though is very good at taking their acquisitions and then completely re-imagining and reengineering them into something far more stunning and innovative. (As an example take a look at almost everything in the computing space over the last 35 years or so.)

post #100 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you're printing your directions. That surely explains why you would have no use for 3D mapping that is only useful on a monitor but it doesn't explain why anything Apple has done or could do in the future you've deemed pointless, stupid, or done first by someone else in some rudimentary way thus making any advancement by Apple pathetic..

Your putting words in mouth like always, I never said it was pathetic. In fact I said it's probably wonderful filled with wonder and cool effects but at the end of the day me personally will always just go to the little Google box that's in Safari and ask for directions or use the SAT NAV in my car.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #101 of 145
The bought the company in 2011, I doubt much has changed from what is already available with Nokia Maps. Like so many have pointed out that Nokia Maps uses C3.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #102 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Your putting words in mouth like always, I never said it was pathetic. In fact I said it's probably wonderful filled with wonder and cool effects but at the end of the day me personally will always just go to the little Google box that's in Safari and ask for directions or use the SAT NAV in my car.

Because this is the only thread you've ever commented negatively on Apple¡ :shakeshead

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #103 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Google has been collecting data for the last 7 years for their map info, Apple just now started. That is unless Apple is leasing the info from Google.

Yes and in seven years they have photographed my house three times, so anyone with enough money to outfit the rigs and send them out there can get up to speed in a couple years.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #104 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because this is the only thread you've ever commented negatively on Apple¡ :shakeshead

It's just the mobile stuff I have a problem with, you know that. Not everything a company makes has to be perfect. I don't want to fight anymore, my heart monitor is starting to beep at me. I love you all, have a good night. Will pick this up later when Apple releases this super new map program that will make me question my existence. 1wink.gif
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #105 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I wan't lying or making things up Google signed a deal with GeoEye back in 2008 to get exclusive imagery and the sat photos for most of the world except for places like China or Russia are newer then 3 years old.

 

I was easily able to verify your claim with the additional information.  Interesting though.  The GeoEye One Orbiter was the highest resolution satellite imagery commercially available at the time (and may still be).  While this seems amazing, the resolution is only 41 cm.  Still impressive but not revolutionary.  Google Maps (formerly Where 2 Technologies) is impressive as the standard bearer for other reasons.

 

Apple (formerly C3 Technologies) has resolution as high as 10 cm and is rendered using a highly advanced algorithm rather than crowd sourcing the effort from amateurs.  Apple's technology is based on (relatively) recently declassified missile targeting technology.  In fact, the technology Apple uses is so advanced they are able to generate street level views with the same data as three dimensional views rather than having to drive along every road and capture still photography.

post #106 of 145
Well then will just have to see how many times Apple photographs your house to compare then.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #107 of 145

Of course we're all ignoring how all this stuff will be completely worthless when even just one more of the GPS satellites breaks down, because no government or person on Earth can afford to put another one up there.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyone, upon reading the above
…What? What in the world are you talking about?

 

Come to think of it, I guess that was on different forum. Apparently the number of GPS satellites up there is the absolute bare minimum needed to keep the system running, and if so much as one more fails, the whole thing will be worthless because "no one can afford to send more satellites up there". 

 

Wish I knew more about what he was talking about so that I could properly deride such nonsense, but there's probably an inkling of truth to it somewhere.

 

… Sorry, just wanted to defuse some of this tension here. lol.gif

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #108 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I was easily able to verify your claim with the additional information.  Interesting though.  The GeoEye One Orbiter is the highest resolution satellite imagery commercially available.  While this seems amazing, the resolution is only 41 cm.  Still impressive but not revolutionary.  Google Maps (formerly Where 2 Technologies) is impressive as the standard bearer for other reasons.

Apple (formerly C3 Technologies) has resolution as high as 10 cm and is rendered using a highly advanced algorithm rather than crowd sourcing the effort from amateurs.  Apple's technology is based on (relatively) recently declassified missile targeting technology.  In fact, the technology Apple uses is so advanced they are able to generate street level views with the same data as three dimensional views rather than having to drive along every road and capture still photography.

Yes I know that, however you need to go back and look at the percentage of the earth covered by said tech. Less then 40% has been released, granted it does cover most of the US and Europe so I guess that's all we should care about. Plus how often is that declassified images released, they don't say nor could I find any info on that. Not as often as a orbiting satellite with a contract I can tell you that much. Whatever, I succeed or whatever the English word for give up is. Okay sweety, the meds are kicking in and I need to sleep. Goodnight, sleep well you guys.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #109 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

In fact, the technology Apple uses is so advanced they are able to generate street level views with the same data as three dimensional views rather than having to drive along every road and capture still photography.
It'll be interesting to see how images captured from aircraft instead of satellites and cars compare. I can see several pros and cons for C3 v. Street View. While Street View will give you that head-level image of the side of a street I can't say I've found that to be very useful although I'm sure others have.

Then there is the issue of coverage. Has C3 and/or Apple done flyovers of all roads in the US or just the major cities at this point? It seems to me that basic satellite coverage will have to intermixed with the C3 tech which I think is why they have acquired so many mapping companies.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #110 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

All I want is a map.  Something that will load QUICKLY when I need to see where I am and where I'm going.

Another victory for the shiny-objects crowd.  

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/01/map-photo-6.jpeg
Edited by Slang4Art - 5/11/12 at 5:55pm
post #111 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

As far as Bank of America, have you tried using the User Agent?  I have had major success with that in the past though not always.

Good idea. I always forget about that (although I would rather they fix the site.)

post #112 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/01/map-photo-6.jpeg
Here you go. They still sell these at some gas stations. Tool.

Maps, I understand... Or, remember (more accurately)...


...But what's a "gas station"?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #113 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I reckon it's more likely to be a software feature to sell the iPhone 5s in 2013, much like they did with Siri for 4S.

It's weird to think that they'd market a sixth gen. iPhone and then follow it up with an iPhone 5S. Or are you implying that the sixth gen. iPhone will be released in 2013?

Silly.
post #114 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Maps, I understand... Or, remember (more accurately)...
...But what's a "gas station"?

I edited because I think the photo itself will suffice as a response, but maybe gas station is a southern colloquialism? We call soft drinks sodas here too. Or maybe I don't follow you.

post #115 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post
I edited because I think the photo itself will suffice as a response, but maybe gas station is a southern colloquialism? We call soft drinks sodas here too. Or maybe I don't follow you.

 

Nah, we call them gas stations here too, and I'm nowhere near the South. I imagine the UK and former colonies would call them 'petrol stations' or a variation thereof.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #116 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

I edited because I think the photo itself will suffice as a response, but maybe gas station is a southern colloquialism? We call soft drinks sodas here too. Or maybe I don't follow you.

I was just being snide... Where I live (lalaland north) there are markets, mini-marts (7/11, etc.) Costco, WalMart... That sell everything from chips, soda (pop), hohos, slurpys,, quick picks, pizza slices... And gasoline.

They, can't check my oil, or the air in my tires...

They are refueling stations -- but for people, not for cars!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #117 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...But what's a "gas station"?

A petrol bunk. Truly.

:-p
post #118 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


Yes I know that, however you need to go back and look at the percentage of the earth covered by said tech. Less then 40% has been released, granted it does cover most of the US and Europe so I guess that's all we should care about. Plus how often is that declassified images released, they don't say nor could I find any info on that. Not as often as a orbiting satellite with a contract I can tell you that much. Whatever, I succeed or whatever the English word for give up is. Okay sweety, the meds are kicking in and I need to sleep. Goodnight, sleep well you guys.

 

The imagery wasn't declassified the mathematical algorithms were declassified.  The imagery is generated similarly to most of Google's data, low level aerial photography.

 

Actually, satellite imagery data isn't very effective on a massive scale at high resolution.  Satellite imagery is effective at low resolution but satellites move too fast to capture images of large cities rapidly especially with the resolution Google (or Apple) require.  Google is likely using the satellite imagery to remove artifacts (clouds) and obtain low resolution views.  

 

I was able to research and discover that Google is using the satellite data for high resolution images of specific structures, typically points of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


It'll be interesting to see how images captured from aircraft instead of satellites and cars compare. I can see several pros and cons for C3 v. Street View. While Street View will give you that head-level image of the side of a street I can't say I've found that to be very useful although I'm sure others have.
Then there is the issue of coverage. Has C3 and/or Apple done flyovers of all roads in the US or just the major cities at this point? It seems to me that basic satellite coverage will have to intermixed with the C3 tech which I think is why they have acquired so many mapping companies.

Just visit the Nokia Maps website.  Apple (formerly C3 Technologies) has photorealistic data.

 

Please understand that the Apple technology can generate images from virtually any angle viewing virtually any direction at many different altitudes including a "street view."

 

Apple doesn't need to do aerial photography of the entire Earth at this point, they already have licensed the data just like Google.  The architecture and execution is highly complex for an amazingly simple concept:

 

Placebase = Google Maps with high customization and incredible APIs

Poly9 = Google Earth prior to Google SketchUp (Google's 3D modeling program)

C3 Technologies = Google Earth with Google an automated high resolution version of SketchUp

 

In other words, Apple has 2D and 3D map data for the entire planet just the same as Google.  Much like Google, Apple has high resolution 3D images of a very small percentage of the planet and such data is typically for very large metropolitan areas the difference is that Apple's data is rendered via advanced mathematical algorithm rather than partially by hand.

 

Apparently, Apple is using Waze for crowd-sourced traffic data.

 

If you compare the data you will see that Google SketchUp provides a building facade rendered using a partially manual 3D modeling technique while Apple's technology renders the data automatically.  Google Earth may render trees somewhat better but many buildings aren't rendered at all since the effort is partially manual.  Apple's technology is virtually 100% automated with similar quality but once an area has been rendered the entire area including all structures are rendered.


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/11/12 at 6:59pm
post #119 of 145

Sometimes I like browsing around maps, just to see places I've never been, this would be great for that. But when I'm busy, and just want to get somewhere, I'm sorry but I want a 2D birds-eye view map with a path drawn on it.

post #120 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiform 3D View Post

I betcha all these cool new 3D things will only run on an iPhone 5, just like Siri only works on 4s.

Betcha it won't be called the iPhone 5, but rather the "New iPhone"

People need to quit with the iPhone 5 bs...
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's new 3D Maps in iOS 6 will ditch Google, 'blow your head off'