or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone design in limbo, October launch date remains likely

Next-gen iPhone design in limbo, October launch date remains likely

post #1 of 48
According to a new report, Apple engineers have yet to finalize the design of the next-generation iPhone which could account for the disparity of rumors currently circulating about larger screen sizes and a Liquidmetal caseback.

Sources say that the cupertino, Calif., company has not decided on whether it will change the size or aspect ratio of the upcoming handset's screen, though a new smaller dock connector will reportedly be implemented, according to iMore.

The source goes on to say that the device will indeed sport a home button, which limits screen size to a certain degree. As it stands, it looks unlikely that the handset will have a display larger than 4 inches, if any change is made at all.

The implementation of Liquidmetal as a main structural feature is also up in the air, and the alloy's inventor has gone on record as saying Apple is years away from using the technology.

October is still seen as the probable launch window for the new iPhone which happens to be the same period that a rumored 7-inch iPad may be unveiled.

In an April note to investors, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster noted that supply issues surrounding Qualcomm LTE chips would push back a next-gen iPhone release to at least October. The current iPhone 4S remains incompatible with 4G LTE networks, though it is expected that its successor will have such capabilities.

A separate report from February also pegged the September to October timeframe as being a prime period for a new iPhone debut.
post #2 of 48

A rumor of a September release, now rumored to October.  Only a month?  People can run with that! 

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #3 of 48

Oy, the fabrications on this site. Anything for a click, eh?

Edited by SpamSandwich - 5/12/12 at 7:09pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 48
Whatever happened to the rumors about Steve Jobs being involved with the Iphone 5 before he died as being the last project he was around to decide for ?  
post #5 of 48
Oh my god. So basically there's no info. I thought the phone was supposed to be Steve Jobs last design. This seems like crap. The way it sound, like apple's running around
Like a chicken with its he'd cut off. Not!!!
September now October maybe.
Here comes the roomers. I don't know why but I do like to read some of the roomers.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Whatever happened to the rumors about Steve Jobs being involved with the Iphone 5 before he died as being the last project he was around to decide for ?  

This story is essentially an acknowledgement that there is very, very little information available so the trolls all come out and tell each other tales to pass the time.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #7 of 48
Ah sh*t, I spelled rumors wrong. Duh, my bad.
post #8 of 48

It's the Apple TV remote, not a 7 inch iPad, jeez

post #9 of 48

I'd say the fact that we've heard next to nothing about iOS 6 yet is more solid proof that we won't be seeing the iPhone 5 until October than anything mentioned in this article.

post #10 of 48

Seems rather late to be still deciding such a fundamental issue. Maybe they're wrestling over whether to offer one screen size they hope will please everyone or to finally break down and offer a second, larger iPhone in addition to the incredibly popular 3.5" one.

Currently Apple asks potential buyers this:

Can you afford the latest and greatest?

- if YES : how much storage do you want? What colour would you like?

- if NO : can you afford last year's greatest?

- if YES: What colour would you like?

- if NO: here is the iPhone 3GS

All other considerations are ignored, a move that I believe sends would-be Apple customers to Samsung and HTC.

I would revise the questions to include other considerations but make them binary. You either want a big screen or you don't. You either want as much storage as can practically be put in the device or you don't. 

My "wish list" lineup (not suggested naming, just a number denoting screen size):

iPhone 4.7 128GB

iPhone 4.7   32GB

iPhone 3.5 128GB

iPhone 3.5   32GB

iPhone 4S    16GB

iPhone 4         8GB

post #11 of 48
Yeah, and my wish list is that the iPhone 6 prints money....sorry just heard a "roomer".
post #12 of 48

Please Apple, for the love of all things holy....... call the 6th generation iPhone "the next iPhone" like you did with the iPad. I seriously can't take anymore people referring to the 6th generation iPhone as the "iPhone 5". For those of you still confused: The iPhone 5 came out last October 2011. It's been out for 7 months. It's called the iPhone 4S. The iPhone in my pocket came out in 2010. It's the fourth generation iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. The second iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. 

The sixth generation iPhone with iOS6, will NOT be called the iPhone 5. 

post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

...sorry just heard a "roomer".

La rumeur ces propageait.

post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Please Apple, for the love of all things holy....... call the 6th generation iPhone "the next iPhone" like you did with the iPad. I seriously can't take anymore people referring to the 6th generation iPhone as the "iPhone 5". For those of you still confused: The iPhone 5 came out last October 2011. It's been out for 7 months. It's called the iPhone 4S. The iPhone in my pocket came out in 2010. It's the fourth generation iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. The second iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. 

The sixth generation iPhone with iOS6, will NOT be called the iPhone 5. 

This. 1,000,000x this.

post #15 of 48

The engineers at Apple have already approved the design, they know how big it is, they know what materials will be used AND it will include the Qualcomm LTE chipset. The new iPhone will start being built in July and will ramp up quickly in order to have enough on hand across the world when they release in the beginning of October......JUST LIKE LAST YEAR.

There, I said it. Carry on...

You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #16 of 48

...and the phone may already be in the hands of Verizon and ATT for compatibility testing.  It likely takes at least a couple of months leadtime for the telecoms to confirm that everything works as it should doesn't it?

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and the phone may already be in the hands of Verizon and ATT for compatibility testing.  It likely takes at least a couple of months leadtime for the telecoms to confirm that everything works as it should doesn't it?

That a really good point...they might have multiple versions if the reports of different screen sizes are to be believed

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #18 of 48
Come on now. Do you really think apple doesn't have a design already mapped out? The iPhone is there bread and butter. They probably have the next 4 versions already designed and ready to go.
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Come on now. Do you really think apple doesn't have a design already mapped out? The iPhone is there bread and butter. They probably have the next 4 versions already designed and ready to go.

Naw.  Those designs are in various states of completion.  They know broad outlines for the ones further out, but none of the detail work is done yet.

post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

The engineers at Apple have already approved the design, they know how big it is, they know what materials will be used AND it will include the Qualcomm LTE chipset. The new iPhone will start being built in July and will ramp up quickly in order to have enough on hand across the world when they release in the beginning of October......JUST LIKE LAST YEAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And a little bird told me it will have a new noise cancellation chip in it as well.

Edited by WelshDog - 5/11/12 at 9:34pm
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This story is essentially an acknowledgement that there is very, very little information available so the trolls all come out and tell each other tales to pass the time.

OR, it could also hints that Apple without Steve is like Beatles without John...

You sure that Cook and Co. can keep the team together and their egos in check without Steve put his foot down?

He maybe a CEO, but employee is EMPLOYEE. He is not the FOUNDER. 

post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

OR, it could also hints that Apple without Steve is like Beatles without John...

You sure that Cook and Co. can keep the team together and their egos in check without Steve put his foot down?

The point of your post? Obviously noone is sure of anything, just like everything else in life, and noone can predict the future, or Apple's future. But so far, Cook has shown promise, and has performed extremely well. Obviously he's no Steve Jobs, but he never claimed he was, and will have to make due with his own qualities. 

post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The point of your post? Obviously noone is sure of anything, just like everything else in life, and noone can predict the future, or Apple's future. But so far, Cook has shown promise, and has performed extremely well. Obviously he's no Steve Jobs, but he never claimed he was, and will have to make due with his own qualities. 

The point is he is not good enough. Which means he is a great and capable CEO, but doesn't have presence and gravitas Jobs as to keep all these restless, disparate geeks and engineers to pull in one direction. Without it, the team will falls apart when everyone want it their ways and no one big enough to have a final say. What Steve Jobs did at Apple was not just a CEO, he was the greatest Nerd Whisperer of our time. Just like Ceasar Milan to dogs.

Gates, for all his fault, is a great Nerd Whisperer. Ballmer cannot keep those egotistical geeks from running in all directions and Vista was the result. They don't listen to him, thinking 'Nah, just a lapdog Bill hired. What harm could he do? I built this place alongside Bill, Steve is just a hired bean counter! He can't be bigger than me and he can't tell me what to do!'

It took Bill's threat to leave Foundation and come back to the board to quell the mutiny and get Windows 7 out the door. And Ozzie was gone.

Just like generals of yesteryears who had to brought the sword from the Emperor with License to Execute to keep his men in line. Only founders have the power to yell 'Knock it off!' when opinions and arguments get out of hand. Including license to perform career executions to the highest executives of the firm. They have power to pull out the gun, execute the CEO and any wrangling top brasses right there and then, and order his men to say 'Sir! Yes Sir!', fall back in line and get the project done. Toyoda Clan and Ford Clan have that power.

Does Cook or the real man in charge has the same kind of gravitas to keep them point in one direction, put priorities straight, and keep internal rivalries in check? I don't know if he can but I have my doubts.

Corporate politics is a curse of all large firms, and Apple is going to run into one now. Competitors may not be enough to knock Apple from the top of the hills, but internal politic intrigue can.

post #24 of 48
Quote:
The point is he is not good enough. Which means he is a great and capable CEO, but doesn't have presence and gravitas Jobs as to keep all these restless, disparate geeks and engineers to pull in one direction.

Fortunately, that's not his job. It's Forstall's.

Quote:

Does Cook or the real man in charge has the same kind of gravitas to keep them point in one direction, put priorities straight, and keep internal rivalries in check? I don't know if he can but I have my doubts.

Corporate politics is a curse of all large firms, and Apple is going to run into one now. Competitors may not be enough to knock Apple from the top of the hills, but internal politic intrigue can.

Left to be seen.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #25 of 48

Wow, was it really October 2011 when the 4S came out? It seems newer than that. I guess the iPad 3 gives away most of what it will have in terms of hardware. iOS 6 will be the source of surprises and that will probably run fine on previous gen.

post #26 of 48

Reading this thread, two thoughts occurred to me:

1) The talk here touches on the possibility of multiple prototypes of as new iPhone in contrast with threads I've read about the so-called iTV seem to refer to a single prototype. If I remember the Isaacson book correctly, Apple tended to try out lots of different forms and features. All the variations and contradictions in iPhone sightings would seem to confirm this. And the lack of variations and contradictions in iTV sightings leads me to disbelieve and reports of its "pending" unveiling.

2) If a new iPhone is sufficiently wider, then it would make any discussion of compatibility problems with a smaller dock connector mute.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

Reading this thread, two thoughts occurred to me:

1) The talk here touches on the possibility of multiple prototypes of as new iPhone in contrast with threads I've read about the so-called iTV seem to refer to a single prototype. If I remember the Isaacson book correctly, Apple tended to try out lots of different forms and features. All the variations and contradictions in iPhone sightings would seem to confirm this. And the lack of variations and contradictions in iTV sightings leads me to disbelieve and reports of its "pending" unveiling.

2) If a new iPhone is sufficiently wider, then it would make any discussion of compatibility problems with a smaller dock connector mute.

Let me try that first paragraph again (my bad...long day already)

1) The talk here touches on the possibility of multiple prototypes of a new iPhone in contrast with threads I've read about the so-called iTV that seem to refer to a single prototype. If I remember the Isaacson book correctly, Apple tended to try out lots of different forms and features. All the variations and contradictions in iPhone sightings would seem to confirm this. And the lack of variations and contradictions in iTV sightings leads me to disbelieve reports of its "pending" unveiling.

post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimk69 View Post

Oh my god. So basically there's no info. I thought the phone was supposed to be Steve Jobs last design. This seems like crap. The way it sound, like apple's running around
Like a chicken with its he'd cut off. Not!!!
September now October maybe.
Here comes the roomers. I don't know why but I do like to read some of the roomers.

That's how rumors work. Apple might have a plan, and plans might change, but they're not going to tell you. If you follow every rumor, you don't get info--you get noise.

BTW: Is there any good reason the "rich HTML editor" in the forums have to upend the right-click functionality normally provided by the OS?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #29 of 48

Anyway, home button is a disaster.

We have four iPhone 3 GS and 2 iTouch 4-th generation, and they all have home button lagging, forcing us to push several times on the button to have any reaction from the device.

No matter how we tried, resets, reinstall, etc., nothing solved this. The iTouch are 18 month old ! lol.gif

post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantz View Post
Anyway, home button is a disaster.

We have four iPhone 3 GS and 2 iTouch 4-th generation, and they all have home button lagging, forcing us to push several times on the button to have any reaction from the device.

No matter how we tried, resets, reinstall, etc., nothing solved this. The iTouch are 18 month old ! lol.gif

You've brought this up with Apple? What'd they say?

Aside from the fact that you brought them two Logitech keyboards… [wink.jpg]

post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fortunately, that's not his job. It's Forstall's.
Last time I checked Forstall is responsible for software, not hardware. Cook is CEO and from all we know very popular with Apple employees. The last thing Apple needs is one of Cook's underlings playing pretend CEO, or pretend Steve Jobs. Cook is doing just fine.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Last time I checked Forstall is responsible for software, not hardware. Cook is CEO and from all we know very popular with Apple employees. The last thing Apple needs is one of Cook's underlings playing pretend CEO, or pretend Steve Jobs. Cook is doing just fine.

All right, then. It's Ive's job. He has the vision that Cook "doesn't". Problem solved.

post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

yep. There is only one Steve Jobs. He can't be replaced. But it was his recommendation to the board that Tim Cook take over as CEO. I don't get how people can say Apple is doomed with Cook when it was Jobs who recommended Cook take over for him.
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right, then. It's Ive's job. He has the vision that Cook "doesn't". Problem solved.
Well then why didn't Jobs recommend Forstall or Ive for CEO? I trust Steve knew what he was doing in recommending Cook for CEO. What evidence do we have Cook has no vision? Just because he's not the most thrilling speaker? What I like about Cook is I don't get the impression of any ego there. I get the impression he's good at managing egos and getting out of the way so his guys can do what they do best (Forstall on software, Ive & Mansfield on hardware).
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Well then why didn't Jobs recommend Forstall or Ive for CEO?

The same reason Woz didn't want an executive position. They can do far greater things when they're actually working on them. Jonathan Ive as CEO. Ha!

Quote:
What evidence do we have Cook has no vision?

Ask the guy that said he didn't.

Quote:
What I like about Cook is I don't get the impression of any ego there. I get the impression he's good at managing egos and getting out of the way so his guys can do what they do best (Forstall on software, Ive & Mansfield on hardware).

Same here.

post #36 of 48
Quote:

Well then why didn't Jobs recommend Forstall or Ive for CEO? I trust Steve knew what he was doing in recommending Cook for CEO. What evidence do we have Cook has no vision? Just because he's not the most thrilling speaker? What I like about Cook is I don't get the impression of any ego there. I get the impression he's good at managing egos and getting out of the way so his guys can do what they do best (Forstall on software, Ive & Mansfield on hardware).

Forstall will never be CEO(of apple) because he is not directly responsible for making billions of dollars for apple ( apps are written by others) but he is an awesome manager for the software side... (and is a VERY inportant role... stick to what you are good at)

Steve Jobs had Billions of dollars...(thus he could do what ever he wanted; and he was correct also!)
Tim Cook is/was responsible for earning 100's of BILLIONS of dollars via his COO position...
Meaning Mr. Ive (and his team) is perfectly capable of producing new devices for Apple...
Efficiently plotting to make Zillions of product is what Tim Cook is a genius at thus the reason he is the CEO.
post #37 of 48
Quote:

There are a number of problems with the accusation that Cook is inadequate in some way. It assumes that:
1. Cook has no experience running Apple. Are you forgetting that he ran Apple and Apple continued to do quite well during the times Jobs was inaccessible?
2. It assumes that Jobs was some great visionary with a super-human ability to discern the 'right thing' for the company, but that he had a blind spot when it came to Cook or his successor.
3. It fails to recognize that nothing bad has happened in the time since Jobs passed away and things seem to be going on just as normal.

Jobs worked side-by-side with Cook for years. If you assume that Jobs knew what was best for Apple, the corollary is that Cook is the best available choice. And the available evidence backs that up.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 48
Quote:

Well then why didn't Jobs recommend Forstall or Ive for CEO? I trust Steve knew what he was doing in recommending Cook for CEO.

Jobs brought Sculley in to be CEO at one point so bad judgements can be made. Cook is not like Sculley though, he has proven himself for 12 years and was interim CEO back in 2004. I think he's the Apple employee with the most emotional control. Forstall is great but a bit like a teenager, lots of drive and energy but too excitable. Schiller is a sales guy, happy-go-lucky and not focused enough. Ive is an artist and wouldn't make decisions quickly. Out of the group, Cook is the logical choice for management.
Quote:

What evidence do we have Cook has no vision? Just because he's not the most thrilling speaker? What I like about Cook is I don't get the impression of any ego there. I get the impression he's good at managing egos and getting out of the way so his guys can do what they do best (Forstall on software, Ive & Mansfield on hardware).

Cook is an operations guy, I don't see him as a visiionary but he doesn't need to be. He's there to make sure the work of designers and artists are realised without compromise. He appears to have strong values and I don't think he would override a creative vision in the way that Rubinstein might.

The next iPhone won't be Cook's vision, it will be Ive's.

The good thing about making it out of aluminium is they can probably carve out 1 iPad and 4 iPhones from the same block. They'll probably want to avoid metal for the phone unless they can figure out how to make it scratch-resistant. I'd like to see it get a bigger screen but 4" at the absolute maximum. The current design has a lot going for it though - good use of space, probably easy to manufacture the two sheets of glass in volume, durable design (aside from the possibily of shattering). I'd rather not see the same design again but it doesn't seem to affect sales.
post #39 of 48

What's this iPhone thing I keep hearing about?

post #40 of 48

Huh? What source? The National Inquirer?  Oh, my bad...if something is posted on the net, it must be true!

Any way, logic and common sense dictate that Apple is quite aware of the design of their new product design.  This is just another article which is really just a red herring to keep people guessing. In my opinion, I dont think the screen size and even design won't be much different than the size of the first iPhone 6 years ago. If Apple does go with a larger screen, which I think is huge quantum leap in assuming they will, it shall be no larger than 4 inches. This is puny in my opinon. Apple may step up their marketing and have a 3.8 inch screen which was rumoured a few years ago and call it a 4 inch screen. The size of the screen alone will cause me to skip my iPhone upgrade and I will have no choice but to go with Android. The screen size of 4 inches on my current Android device and  my 3.5 inch for my iPod Touch is completely unacceptable. It makes no difference to me if my display screen is HD or this or that. Give me a 4.6 + large screen please --and no, I dont want a tablet ;)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone design in limbo, October launch date remains likely