or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe

post #1 of 135
Apple is said to be negotiating to acquire Loewe AG, a manufacturer and distributor of televisions, audio components and integrated entertainment systems, with a final decision expected to be announced by the end of this week.

Word of the negotiations was exclusively revealed to AppleInsider, and although the offer has yet to be accepted, a source claims that Loewe "has been advised by its financial advisor to accept the offer and a final decision is scheduled to be announced internally before 18 May 2012."

This person said Apple is confidentially offering 87.3 million euros (about $112 million U.S.), a slight premium over the firm's last closing share price of 4.519 euros (giving it a market cap of 58.79 million euros or $76 million U.S.). Loewe's primary shareholders currently include Sharp (28.83 percent) and LaCie (11.17 percent).

The accuracy of the information provided could not be initially verified, but AppleInsider has shared it in the interest of discussion, particularly as rumors continue to swirl that Apple is preparing to launch its own full-fledge high-definition television set.

Loewe, which entered the TV market in 1929, now employes around 1,000 workers worldwide in 50 countries, although it has worked to keep the production of its premium, minimalist TV sets in "made in Germany" despite difficult economic conditions.

The company has seen its sales fall by 11 percent over the last year, generating a loss of 10.5 million Euro ($13.57 million USD) in 2011. However, the company has reported a resurgence in market growth due to its premium products.

In addition to building HDTVs, a market Apple has been rumored to be interested in entering, the company has also designed a high end AirSpeaker to work with Apple's wireless AirPlay audio distribution technology, builds SoundBox and other audio devices with iPod dock connectors and has created the Loewe Assist Media iPad app, which the company says "transforms the iPad into a luxury remote control. Station selection, EPG, archival recording and smart TV functions have never been so easy."
post #2 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to building HDTVs, a market Apple has been rumored to be interested in entering, the company has also designed a high end AirSpeaker to work with Apple's wireless AirPlay audio distribution technology, builds SoundBox and other audio devices with iPod dock connectors and has created the Loewe Assist Media iPad app, which the company says "transforms the iPad into a luxury remote control. Station selection, EPG, archival recording and smart TV functions have never been so easy."

Sounds like a near-perfect fit for Apple.  I never even knew that they existed.

post #3 of 135
Based on the info in this rumour it sound pretty much exactly what I'd expect Apple to do if they were to enter the HDTV market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 135
Designed in California. Made in Germany.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #5 of 135

High-end TV's indeed - this would be a great fit for Apple. Happened to visit Harrods last week and was impressed with their products.

Hope this is true - getting sick of selling Samsung, LG and Sony TV's...

post #6 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

" I never even knew that they existed."

Judging by your posting history, I'm guessing that there's lots of stuff that you " never even knew".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #7 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

High-end TV's indeed - this would be a great fit for Apple. Happened to visit Harrods last week and was impressed with their products.

Hope this is true - getting sick of selling Samsung, LG and Sony TV's...

I still can't see how Apple will profit from the HDTV market or how putting an AppleTV inside of a TV is worth ditching several thousand in current TVs just to spends several thousand more for new TVs. And will they offer TVs for all the rooms in the house or just the HEC? Will they not allow for any HDMI inputs thus making it impossible to use with Blu-ray players and cable/sat hook ups as Ireland thinks will happen?

post #8 of 135

I owned a Loewe CRT TV for 10 years.  It was a great TV, with excellent picture quality.  They have been sold in Australia for many years now.  Given the reported price, this seems like a reasonable thing for Apple to do, seeing as they like to keep control of end-to-end processes as much as possible.

It is a fact that 63% of statistics are true 47% of the time. The rest are just made up on the spot.
It is a fact that 63% of statistics are true 47% of the time. The rest are just made up on the spot.
post #9 of 135

10-15 years ago you could buy Loewe TV sets in the U.S. I remember liking a flat tube model at the now-defunct electronics store The Good Guys! in California. Competitively priced, excellent design language.

post #10 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

At least it'll be efficient. 

post #11 of 135

While I am still uncertain that this approach is best, this is a near ideal fit should Apple choose to follow this path. Not to mention that Loewe already has an alliance with Sharp, and Apple is rumored to be looking to Sharp for new display panels. I do doubt that production will remain in Germany as it would be difficult for Apple to eke out any significant margin even playing exclusively at the high end —  more likely Foxconn gets the build orders

post #12 of 135

In other news, small German TV manufacturer's stock price skyrockets for a month or so.

Idiot speculators make money.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #13 of 135

Loewe make great products but I find it an unlikely purchase. Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines? What would be the point of purchasing them otherwise? Apple knows enough about design and display technology to make their own television without needing to acquire another company. The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

post #14 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post
Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines?

When Apple bought PA Semi, they fulfilled the existing government contracts but accepted no further. You're right about what you said first, though.

post #15 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

No, it'll still be made, I mean assembled in China.

post #16 of 135

I wish they would put whatever innovative technology they are developing into the existing Apple TV for 99 dollars rather than high end HDTVs for a thousand.

post #17 of 135

I will take two of the Loewe Pivots.  The screens don't have to be that large.

I would like to see Apple purchase TiVo and build a great DVR. 

post #18 of 135

Great. Loewe has Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP) TV sets, which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) tuners inside the TV set. After image quality, the most important feature of a TV set for many people is that!

post #19 of 135

Germans do make some great premium products.  Warning, slapstick ahead...  I wonder if Tim Cook would reconsider his toaster and a refrigerator convergence so that Apple can design a HDTV combined with a washing machine, a Miele washing machine.  I think that would be pleasing to the customer! lol.gif </slapstick>

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #20 of 135

Looks like a really good fit from initial impressions...  

http://www.loewe.tv/

Odd that I have never seen their products here in the US.  :(  Germans make some good things, like Bilstein shocks.  ;)

post #21 of 135
Just wait until apple tries to shut down those German factories. Thing will get real interesting when that happens.
post #22 of 135
B&O too expensive?

J.
post #23 of 135

booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.

aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man :)

post #24 of 135

I could write a book on the possibilities.  But, I won't.  Let's just say, this aught to get VERY interesting.  Remember, Apple has money.

post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Remember, Apple has money.

It's far easier to lose money than it is to gain it.

post #26 of 135

Let's put it this way.  If my suspicions are correct as to the direction for Apple, if they buy Loewe.  I would pretty much be scared out of my mind if I were Samsung, Sony, Android phones, and Windows anything.  But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.  It would actually be a good thing in general as far as I am concerned.

post #27 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.

1) When prognosticating you can't be right unless you risk being wrong.

2) I'd like to hear what you think it most likely going to happen, based on the current data.

post #28 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Looks like a really good fit from initial impressions...  

http://www.loewe.tv/

Odd that I have never seen their products here in the US.  :(  Germans make some good things, like Bilstein shocks.  ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post

booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.

aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man :)

I agree with libertyforall. Although I see a lot of areas where Apple design isn’t prevalent in their products, I do see the minimalist approach across their entire line of products, and even their web site.

I was quite surprised when I went to the link.

I have no idea what Apple has in store, but if they have a TV in mind, I can see that not only the possibility of IP they want, I can see the possibility of the minds behind the minimalist designs being a great fit for Apple too. I think Jony would enjoy working with these people.

post #29 of 135
Loewe makes TVs, but also audio systems and speakers. They have all the technology that Apple could put in one total home entertainment device: Apple TV. Maybe with (optional?) external speakers. But wirelessly connected.
post #30 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Judging by your posting history, I'm guessing that there's lots of stuff that you " never even knew".

I didn't report the post or anything, but talk about your random personal attacks for no reason whatsoever ...  

post #31 of 135
if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

post #32 of 135

Get the paten portfolio of a high-end video & audio company, that's been in the business of innovating for almost 100 years,  for $100m?  no brainer.

I can't imagine Apple will be welcomed with open arms by their TV competitor brethren... and seems like cheap way to add to their patent arsenal, regardless if they end up going into that (or similar) markets, anyway...

They are spending more than that per quarter on legal defense at this point....

post #33 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Germans do make some great premium products.  Warning, slapstick ahead...  I wonder if Tim Cook would reconsider his toaster and a refrigerator convergence so that Apple can design a HDTV combined with a washing machine, a Miele washing machine.  I think that would be pleasing to the customer! lol.gif </slapstick>

/

/

/

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or are just intolerant, but the new AppleInsider forum somehow remembered you were on my banned list from ages ago, so after "clicking to read" this comment, I think I'll leave you there.  The offensive comment in your signature is probably reason enough. 

post #34 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Now now, be nice.
post #35 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

This is a fairly small company. Could they produce enough product for Apple's needs should Apple decide to produce a set? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.

Something else must be going on here. Bikertwin has the right idea. So does Poke.
post #36 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on the info in this rumour it sound pretty much exactly what I'd expect Apple to do if they were to enter the HDTV market.

Agreed. It would be a great move.

post #37 of 135

Just a couple weeks ago I suggested Google should acquire Bang and Olufsen, if they want to compete with Apple in electronics space. 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

post #38 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

B&O too expensive?
J.

As a longtime B&O (but not any more) purchaser, I think they've totally lost it.

post #39 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert V Buck View Post

Get the paten portfolio of a high-end video & audio company, that's been in the business of innovating for almost 100 years,  for $100m?  no brainer.

I can't imagine Apple will be welcomed with open arms by their TV competitor brethren... and seems like cheap way to add to their patent arsenal, regardless if they end up going into that (or similar) markets, anyway...

They are spending more than that per quarter on legal defense at this point....

Nice first post!

Welcome.

post #40 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Loewe make great products but I find it an unlikely purchase. Apple usually buys technology and not product lines. Would they discontinue Loewe's existing product lines? What would be the point of purchasing them otherwise? Apple knows enough about design and display technology to make their own television without needing to acquire another company. The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

While it is unclear that they would purchase Loewe, it actually fits right into Apple's strategy. In the end Apple always buys talent (and IP, naturally).

Wether the product is hardware or software, they don't need to start from scratch.

I remember that SoundJam was purchased and turned into iTunes in a heartbeat. Loewe would provide the hardware and TV-specific design experience that Apple could use to accelerate getting into the market.

I remember having a Loewe TV in the early 1991 that was not only fully supporting HDTV (HD Mac) with up to 7 languages and more subtitles, but also had built-in satellite tuners that could even re-position the satellite dish to different satellites).

Coolest TV ever at the time. That said, I heard that they even manufactured the B&O TV sets for a while..

They have definitely been a design leader for TV's.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe