or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe - Page 2

post #41 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


This is a fairly small company. Could they produce enough product for Apple's needs should Apple decide to produce a set? I don't know, but it seems unlikely.
Something else must be going on here. Bikertwin has the right idea. So does Poke.

First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.

post #42 of 135

The problem with B&O is that some of their products are just overpriced garbage.  They look cool but ridiculously expensive for what you actually get.  It's the overpriced mid-fi.  There stuff, I wouldn't even consider high end, yet their prices are high end, but the actual end product is good mid-fi.  Nice TVs, but they use Samsung panels.  I think Apple wants to get away from Samsung.  Why give your enemy more money?

post #43 of 135
IMHO a apple tv set is a good move by apple, with AirPlay e tv won't get old since the new hardware that changes every year will be in your iPod/iPhone OS iPad. Also they can extend their ecosystem to the living room completely and in the future even take consoles again by using AirPlay.

Obviously this won't be cheap at first but hopefully they will release a mainstream apple tv set and that will be when they disrupt the market...
post #44 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The problem with B&O is that some of their products are just overpriced garbage.  They look cool but ridiculously expensive for what you actually get.  It's the overpriced mid-fi.  

 

So that's not a problem. If their product is overpriced, then there is room to reduce price especially for the Apple mass market. And I would not call their product "garbage". 

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #45 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

<snip> The only reason I can think they'd do this is if Loewe has IP that Apple needs for its television. I suppose this is possible since Loewe's products have a high-level of integration with Apple's products and Loewe's old enough that it might also have basic IP Apple needs to enter the television market.

I agree. Something is just not right. I don't think Loewe has the production capacity for the numbers Apple usually needs, especially for a product launch. IP makes more sense. Still...  I checked several major German news sites and there's not a peep about this deal. I did find one short article about Sharp maybe partnering with Loewe, but no mention of Apple. Of course, it's after 1am there and the Germans do have more important things on their minds...

 

    German Soccer Championship Final results: Borussia Dortmund 5, Bayern München 2

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #46 of 135

If true I would guess that Apple are buying their knowledge, engineering expertise, patents, and experienced staff. It would take years to build that kind of team, especially as Apple has no experience in the TV market. Maybe Apple have been trying to build their own TV and decided that they simply don't have the expertise to make it a truly exceptional product.
 

post #47 of 135

The Loewes web site and product line up looks nice though. Very stylish and industrial design oriented.

 

Some facts:

  • Loewes' largest stakeholders are Sharp 29%, and LaCie 11%. So you can tell where they get their panels and storage.
  • The largest top of the line TV they make is 52". Lower end 32"-55"
  • Revenue about 300 mill. euro so I guess it's 0.7-1 billion dollar market cap company

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #48 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedude View Post

booo their TV sets designs look as awful as Samsung "Smart" TV sets.

Next: Apple purchase Bang & Olufsen for 600 million euros.

Next: Apple brings the app store to your TV.


aaah just give me iPanel with Apple logo and i'll be a happy man 1smile.gif
Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen.
post #49 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen.

 

Google will take it and combine it with Motorola

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Reply
post #50 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

if it's true that Apple is now just in talks about buying a TV maker does anyone think this TV is close to being ready? I guess if it's just for production it could be but typically Apple buys companies for their IP and talent and it's years before anything come to market.

Given how old of a company this is, is there any chance they have some important patents relating to TV technology?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #51 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I agree. Something is just not right. I don't think Loewe has the production capacity for the numbers Apple usually needs, especially for a product launch. IP makes more sense. Still...  I checked several major German news sites and there's not a peep about this deal. I did find one short article about Sharp maybe partnering with Loewe, but no mention of Apple. Of course, it's after 1am there and the Germans do have more important things on their minds...

    German Soccer Championship Final results: Borussia Dortmund 5, Bayern München 2

Correction ... "German Football Championship ....". /wink
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #52 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Google will take it and combine it with Motorola

I have no doubt they are thinking exactly that at this moment!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #53 of 135

This sure seems like a great fit for Apple. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.......if it plays out....would generate a huge amount of buzz around the stock and get it back on its upward trajectory.......................

post #54 of 135
Well the integration they have with apple products already with iPod connectors and the iPad apps plus the design of the products is also why they will buy them. That's exactly what apple will do with any company they buy to get in the tv set market...
post #55 of 135

Didn't Foxconn do some sort of deal with Sharp tv???? I know Sharp has an interest in this tv as well. 

Sharp makes beautiful sets with the added color of yellow to the spectrum which makes a picture superior to Samsung, LG etc.......

post #56 of 135

Foxconn could do it...

post #57 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

I wish they would put whatever innovative technology they are developing into the existing Apple TV for 99 dollars rather than high end HDTVs for a thousand.

Who says they cannot do both?

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #58 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Evos View Post
Should be interesting to see how this plays out-if it plays out-would generate a huge amount of buzz around the stock and get it back on its upward trajectory

 

Well, downward if they're actually making a TV.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #59 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Damn it's always been my dream that Apple buys Bang & Olufsen.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

 

Google will take it and combine it with Motorola

 

Mmmm.... Let's see...  then they could call the whole thing...  Boogerola  lol.gif

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #60 of 135

Good point....do both...Apple TV and iPanel

post #61 of 135

Is 50% regarded in Acquisition bids as a "slight premium"? Seems pretty substantial to me.

post #62 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Evos View Post
Good point....do both...Apple TV and iPanel

 

What's the point of the latter if the former exists? Why would I pay $2,000 when I could get a box for $99 that does the same thing, and not have to worry about disposing of my old TV and everything else?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #63 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Let's put it this way.  If my suspicions are correct as to the direction for Apple, if they buy Loewe.  I would pretty much be scared out of my mind if I were Samsung, Sony, Android phones, and Windows anything.  But I am not say anything because I might be wrong, but if I am right, this could get REAL ugly within the next couple of years.  It would actually be a good thing in general as far as I am concerned.

The present TV companies are losing money making TVs... so it's not like they can drop their prices to compete with whatever Apple comes out with. Like everything Apple does, it will be done with enough of a twist to what is being done now that Apple/Loewe can ask a premium price and have added enough value to get it.

 

Also, with Loewe's advanced Picture in Picture technology you will be able to enjoy TV while keeping an eye on how your laundry and dinner is coming along.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #64 of 135

I used to own a Loewe CRT TV. It was absolutely stunning. The attention to detail was incredible. Even the way it turn itself off scream quality. 

 

Maybe Loewe can help Apple make headphones that aren't shit. :)

post #65 of 135

Google merges Motorola and Bang and Olufsen? Bangorolufsen lol.gif

For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
For your sake, I hope you're right.
Reply
post #66 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Given how old of a company this Loewe is, is there any chance they have some important patents relating to TV technology?

 

Any of the OLD patents would have long since expired. However, they may own some newer digital TV patents that Apple needs to include the "value added" features Apple feels are necessary to transform the TV market. Additionally, The Loewe name adds some credibility to European buyers to whatever Apple releases. For many decades GM has bragged that their cars offer "body by Fisher." So Apple could leverage the Loewe name in some way as well. 

 

Whatever is on Apple's mind, it has brought a lot of heads out of the sand. lol.gif

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #67 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's the point of the latter if the former exists? Why would I pay $2,000 when I could get a box for $99 that does the same thing, and not have to worry about disposing of my old TV and everything else?
If I have DirecTV why would I give that up for an Apple TV set top box? The only reason I use it now is for AirPlay with my iPad.
post #68 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Evos View Post

Didn't Foxconn do some sort of deal with Sharp tv???? I know Sharp has an interest in this tv as well. 

Sharp makes beautiful sets with the added color of yellow to the spectrum which makes a picture superior to Samsung, LG etc.......

Sharp has a 22% stake in Loewe. I think Apple can only buy about two-thirds of the Loewe's stock, which is all that's available. 

 

While it often seems Apple moves slowly to integrate new technology after they acquire a company, I suspect that the TV thing may move a whole lot quicker than in past history.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #69 of 135

Yes indeed!  Loewe looks like a perfect fit for Apple.  I approve of the deal.

If Apple can enhance Loewe's designs yet sell them at affordable prices, they will revolutionize the AV industry.

 

Loewe appear to make just the right products that Apple would be interested in instead of everything under the sun.

 

Check out some Loewe's products...

 

http://www.loewe.tv/au/products.html

 

Hopefully they have patents to help protect Apple in this cut throat industry since they have been around forever.


Edited by AppleSauce007 - 5/12/12 at 5:38pm
post #70 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.

It's alright to discuss your ideas on this forum. We're all Apple fans here and wouldn't spread it outside of this forum, except for ZZZ and he doesn't have any more credibility than Saddam's last director of information did.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #71 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Yes indeed!  Loewe looks like a perfect fit for Apple.  I approve of the deal.

If Apple can enhance Loewe's designs yet sell them at affordable prices, they will revolutionize the AV industry.

 

Loewe appear to make just the right products that Apple would be interested in instead of everything under the sun.

 

Check out some Loewe's products...

 

http://www.loewe.tv/au/products.html

 

Hopefully they have patents to help protect Apple in this cut throat industry since they have been around forever.

 

 

in my holy opinion, and i repeat holy...the Apple Cinema Display design is much better than everything they have on this Loewe's products page....that's why i have ZERO problems with the rumors of the upcoming Apple TV set being exactly like the Apple Cinema Display only bigger...i say bring it on!

post #72 of 135

I have a Lowe HDTV and the quality is great. But I have just seen that Samsung are already advertising an interactive smart TV with a very iPad-like splash screen so I assume that they intend to sue Apple for copying them once Apple brings out theirs. 

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #73 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
If I have DirecTV why would I give that up for an Apple TV set top box? The only reason I use it now is for AirPlay with my iPad.

 

Because (and I hate to invoke this old bit) Steve Jobs "cracking" the television means a change in the industry on the order of the iTunes Music Store.

 

It's in the software. We haven't seen that yet, but there is ABSOLUTELY nothing a television can provide that a $99 box cannot.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #74 of 135

Loewe has great products and impeccable design sense. I see this a a great match, enhancing both sides capabilities!

post #75 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

First off, when I make predictions on Apple, I am batting about 85%, sometimes I am 100% balls on.  But the thoughts that I have I don't want to jinx it for Apple, it's too out there, but I want Apple to get into the negotiations without me hinting on it.  Sorry, but I would love to share it with you.  There are probably about 5 or 6 companies that I would target for Apple to acquire over the next 3 years.  but right now, they seem to be focusing on mfg these Apple HDTV boxes and I think they have to split the mfg between China and Germany because TVs are big and costly to ship worldwide.  Buying Loewe, from my point of view, gives them the ability to mfg different sizes and ship the product to various countries.  Plus, they have engineers at Loewe that can help with future products and they have other products that fit nicely with what Apple doesn't have.  But these other companies that I feel Apple should buy, I don't want to say a word right now, because it might be too premature and I don't want certain others to beat Apple to the punch.

Wow.

/Reverence
post #76 of 135

Assuming for a moment this unconfirmed rumor is true (and considering the record, this could be a stretch) I'd like to see this happen only if Loewe's has some particularly valuable IP that would give Apple a leg up in Germany and globally. Perhaps the run on patents will now extend to consumer electronics companies in all kinds of specialized industries. For example, I'd love to see Apple buying up GPS patents.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #77 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Yes indeed!  Loewe looks like a perfect fit for Apple.  I approve of the deal.
If Apple can enhance Loewe's designs yet sell them at affordable prices, they will revolutionize the AV industry.

Loewe appear to make just the right products that Apple would be interested in instead of everything under the sun.

Check out some Loewe's products...

http://www.loewe.tv/au/products.html

Hopefully they have patents to help protect Apple in this cut throat industry since they have been around forever.

Nice-looking products!

Except for the stands, which mostly look like chicken feet.
post #78 of 135
I'd really be happy to see the Apple TV made in Germany rather than in China. More ethical, better quality, better ideas.
post #79 of 135

Very nice looking products indeed.  I wish apple had a similar flair for design these days. I think if I see this 8 year old iMac and now acd foot another time I m gonna die of boredom. (yeah I know it had a minor tweak to it along the way...)

post #80 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Google merges Motorola and Bang and Olufsen? Bangorolufsen lol.gif

I thought "Go Motor Bang"

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple rumored to be in talks to acquire German HDTV maker Loewe