or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Loewe denies rumors of Apple acquisition

Loewe denies rumors of Apple acquisition - Page 2

post #41 of 50

Ive himself openly acknowledged the influence of Rams' Design:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/66002859/Jonathan-Ive-on-Dieter-Rams

As already mentioned by Rogifan, he even wrote a letter to him (article in german):

http://www.stern.de/lifestyle/mode/dieter-rams-der-apple-faellt-nicht-weit-vom-stamm-619376.html

post #42 of 50

I'm getting even more tired of the same interface picture with Hugh Laurie's punchable face on it.  Every TV post has the same freakin' picture. 

post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey Dr., what happened to your bold predictions from the previous thread? Still coming to fruition?

Well "DRBLANK" does have a PHD in shooting Blanks /bah dum ba...LOL
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
I'm getting even more tired of the same interface picture with Hugh Laurie's punchable face on it.  Every TV post has the same freakin' picture. 

There's only one picture. You can't very well get an Apple-quality image of the Apple TV interface other than the ones available to us.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's only one picture. You can't very well get an Apple-quality image of the Apple TV interface other than the ones available to us.

But you could have some mockups made. I've made this suggestion several times before. By creating multiple mockups you not only spark the imagination of the readers but get them to comment on them which would lead to a more lively discussion and higher readership.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
But you could have some mockups made. I've made this suggestion several times before. By creating multiple mockups you not only spark the imagination of the readers but get them to comment on them which would lead to a more lively discussion and higher readership.

They can go ahead and use my old "Take 3" (now Take 4) idea if they want, then. lol.gif

post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They can go ahead and use my old "Take 3" (now Take 4) idea if they want, then. lol.gif

Put your mockup on one of those Loewe TVs with some Appley things included.

post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Well, what technologies do they need which they can't borrow from a previous product? A TV from Apple sure won't cater for much (if any) analog remnants of the past, this will be a very digital beast more akin to a computer, than your fathers TV from old.

In some respects, yes, it will be more akin to a computer, but it also has to support cable/satellite and over-the-air broadcasting or almost no one will buy it.   If it doesn't have those traditional functions, then it's a monitor, not a TV.   Apple already makes monitors.     And while there's no more over-the-air analog broadcasting in the U.S., there still is in some other countries, so Apple may still have to support that, unless they make different models for each country.   

The way it can improve user interface is to get rid of the cable/satellite set-top boxes, but that can only happen if they make a deal with every cable/satellite/phone company, which is hard to do because many of them are regional services, which Steve Jobs pointed out years ago.      It needs to provide easy ways for the users to skip and organize channels and to have a preview mode where you can see many channels at once in real time that can be selected from.     It also needs to find a way to better integrate various third party services, including Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon On Demand, YouTube, etc.    You should be able to hide services that you don't use.      It needs to have a far better browser than TVs come with today and it has to find a solution for keying into that browser - which may be that you use your iPhone or iPod or whatever remote control device this comes with.     And...it needs to play well with other devices, even devices that Apple doesn't like, like A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, etc.     There are already control standards to turn devices on and off and to automatically switch them to proper inputs which works quite well once configured, but it's hard to configure.   Apple needs to have its device automatically find those third-party devices and configure the TV and those devices automatically, much the same way as most printers are plug-and-play, even on Windows machines.   And while no one else supports this yet, it would be nice if Apple would support Ethernet over HDMI, which is part of the HDMI 1.4a standard so that you don't have to plug an Apple Express into every single device.

Obviously, it needs to work wirelessly with other Apple devices, so you can play back content from your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone, etc., without hassle.    It needs to just work.    Ideally, it would work even with Android and Windows devices as well.    Some devices today already handle this well:   via the Apple Express network, when I'm in iTunes, I can send the signal to my receiver and the receiver will automatically switch inputs and start playing.   But it won't do that from my iPhone unless I install a Bluetooth accessory on the receiver and it won't do video unless connected by cable.  It should all work wirelessly.   

It's not enough to have a Siri-like function, where you say, "turn to TBS" because how do you know you want to watch TBS?   But if you can say, "show me all the sports that are on tonight" or "show me all the science fiction movies that are on tonight" and then say "at 10pm, turn on Star Wars" or "at 10pm, record the Knicks game", that would be a big advance.  It needs to do the same thing for Apple TV, Netflix and Amazon On Demand content.   You vocally search for what you want and then say, "let me know when it's downloaded" or "start playing it as soon as it downloads".   However,  I don't think it would take the major manufacturers (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Sharp) very long to catch up with this kind of functionality - no more than one full product cycle.   

Another possibility is to make it a true 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution device.   There are already BD players in the market that will upscale to 4K, although there's no ready-made 4K content.   But if Apple can change the current Apple TV /iTunes to store 4K versions of movies and get the studios to give them 4K scans, that would be a real competitive edge for the top-end of the market, IMO.   

post #49 of 50

^ imagine how big the download is going to be with 4k resolution...

My ISP is definitely going to send me a letter stating that I have consumed too much data, then they will put a FUP.

post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.rav View Post

^ imagine how big the download is going to be with 4k resolution...

My ISP is definitely going to send me a letter stating that I have consumed too much data, then they will put a FUP.

Mine hasn't, but scrolling through my routers' log I'm seeing an average of 500 gigs per month. I sure hope ISP's won't enforce FUP like the datacap telco's put on mobile data.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Loewe denies rumors of Apple acquisition