or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook meets with Speaker of the House John Boehner

Tim Cook meets with Speaker of the House John Boehner - Page 2

post #41 of 56

Tim's likely a nicer, smarter, more rational, logical and  normal individual than you'd be in most every situation, I'd wager.

post #42 of 56

I agree that the secondary schools with their rules excusing anti-social behavior as kids will be kids, are not showing improvement. I would argue that a simple emphasis on discipline, creativity, and removal of Congressional meddling would create the returns we really need.  Universities are certainly a much less reasonable economic proposition for a degree given the higher cost.  The only real positive that the education department does not get credit for is research.  We have poured billions into understanding Aids, semiconductors, and basic scientific research that are on the cusp of giving us a third industrial revolution.  I would argue that nano tech is worth every penny spent building the tools that build the tools.  Certainly, China is appreciative of the value to be found in our leaky research and corporate networks.  

I guess what I am saying is I would support the education department over almost any other government entity as far as budgetary priorities go, but I would certainly clean house in a major way.  Democratic Republics like America have a lot of strengths, getting rid of legislative overreach is not one of them.  Government can be a force for good, it doesn't do this in a vacuum.  It requires strong citizenship, regular pruning and an honest system.  I would say we are failing on all three of those requirements now. 

post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We could have a SURPLUS of 15 trillion instead of a deficit if the government runs more like Apple…

The total GDP is 15 trillion. To have a surplus of 15 trillion, the US would need to collect the entire GDP as taxes (instead of the current 14-15%, a 60 year low) and spend nothing. I think you are caught in your own reality distortion field.

post #44 of 56

The orange preventer of recovery.

post #45 of 56

In all seriousness, this sort of stuff troubles me.  Why doesn't Boner meet with small business leaders?

This notion that the successful companies should garner help from the government while small businesses are burdened with taxes and regulation really troubles me.  How about we get government off EVERYONE'S backs?  Let's even the playing field, give the big guys some serious competition from the bottom, not coddle them and undermine the free market in their favor.

and I know it's possible they aren't talking about favoritism or legislation that would help Apple specifically, but these days it's rare that a big corporation visits someone like Boner for reasons other than the bastardization of true capitalism.

post #46 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The House is where legislation starts, the Senate is just a house of review really. If you want a law passed you have to talk to the leader of the House.

Common misconception. Only legislation regarding revenue must originate in the House. Any other legislation can originate in either the House or the Senate.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Tim's likely a nicer, smarter, more rational, logical and  normal individual than you'd be in most every situation, I'd wager.

I know—and if he's THAT good, no wonder he's head of Apple.
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

So the solution is to close up the department of Education as some Republicans are advocating and cut off all federal spending on education. That's sure to result is deflation right? Yeah right... I think it'll exacerbate the inflation problem in higher-ed.

Wow how were we able to educated anyone before 1980?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In all fairness I thought it was kind of funny and Boehner is absolutely famous for being exactly as described (wilfully ignorant, shallow, mean, opportunistic, etc.)  

You just described about 99% of Washington lawmakers 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

(Inappropriate language removed)

I don't know what's worse, your post or the fact it currently has one "helpful" vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Wow - how sad. The last thing I want to see is Apple having to anything with that moron and his party. They represent everything that is wrong with this country. 

The Senate has been controlled by the Democratic party since 2006, control of the House until 2010 and obviously I don't need to remind who's been running things since 2008.  There is no love lost between me and the Republican party, however our problems are not as simple as you suggest.

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Wow how were we able to educated anyone before 1980?

Exactly. The DE in its current supersized form was introduced by President Carter in 1979 by promoting Education to a cabinet level position. Most serious proposals (not just vote chum) for its elimination involve rolling it back into a combined Health, Education and Welfare organization again, or some similar entity. Abolishing a department does not necessarily mean abolishing any or all of its functions. There's some arguments about the DE's basic constitutionality, but, eh, that's for the academic legal beard scratchers to tussle over. ;-)

I'm an independent myself, and have zero love for any Party or ideology, but the Left really annoys me because I see a lot of what appear to be smart people, but so many don't want to even do even a basic accounting of what is going on. They are as closed minded as the worst hyper-religious politician on the Right. All a person like me wants to do is stop throwing good money after bad in cases where the empirical evidence clearly shows that it is bad- very bad, and see if there isn't something else we can be doing. I frequent think tank sites of all ideological stripes, and there's some good ideas out there, brilliant ones, even. Be nice is we could, like, TRY one of them once in a while.

post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

I frequent think tank sites of all ideological stripes, and there's some good ideas out there, brilliant ones, even. Be nice is we could, like, TRY one of them once in a while.

We need something like computer models for social policies. Most political developments take so long to implement that they almost always fail. It is like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted. That is what will probably happen with public education, global warming, plastic pollution of the ocean, deforestation, over-fishing, CO2 emissions and a host of other back burner issues. Once they become critical, there are far fewer options available.

post #51 of 56

Wait a second... A Republican Speaker... Conversing with a homosexual?

Woah. They've come a long way.

post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ View Post
Wait a second... A Republican Speaker... Conversing with a homosexual?

I'm sorry, where has it ever been said this is the case, other than that unsubstantiated rumor?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #53 of 56

Oh look! A Republican talking to a gay person!

post #54 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post
Oh look! A Republican talking to a gay person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
I'm sorry, where has it ever been said this is the case, other than that unsubstantiated rumor?

Hate repeating myself.

post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

We need something like computer models for social policies. Most political developments take so long to implement that they almost always fail. It is like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted. That is what will probably happen with public education, global warming, plastic pollution of the ocean, deforestation, over-fishing, CO2 emissions and a host of other back burner issues. Once they become critical, there are far fewer options available.

I guess 3,000 years of human experience means nothing?  Computer models are fine for real engineering work but suck at trying to predict Mother Nature.  I'd hate to see an attempt to predict social policies.  I'm fairly certain you won't have to worry about any of the examples you mentioned.

post #56 of 56

Not quite...for example, I pay taxes on the profits generated by our operations in UK, I also pay in the US on those same operations. During periods when I was unable to fund my tax payment to the IRS for the UK using solely US generated cash I transferred funds from the UK and pay the tax to bring those fund back. We have a Brazilian working for the UK office but based in Spain. He only pays Spanish taxes, just like German and Russian working in the UK office who pay only UK taxes, nothing to the Fatherland or Motherland...having operations in Mexico, China, Brazil and UK I'm very familiar with what's going on and who pays what to whom. I simply follow what all the tax accountants and lawyers tell us to do to make sure all the various governments are kept happy.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook meets with Speaker of the House John Boehner