or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HTC handsets held up at US customs due to ITC injunction over Apple patent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HTC handsets held up at US customs due to ITC injunction over Apple patent - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Yes I am sure. The Nexus gallery app is a stock ICS app so the HTC gallery app is Sense 3.5 to 4.0 UI.

I think you are wrong...HTC does not use the stock android gallery app in their phones as they make their own.

post #42 of 65

http://www.gsmarena.com/one_x_for_us_running_different_rom_to_avoid_apples_patents-news-4259.php

post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I am here because I have the right to be here just like all of you do, to offer my input and opinions..

Yes, but that doesn't really answer the question.

No one said that you don't have the right to be here. But you said that you would never buy an Apple product - and your posts contain silly criticisms and outright errors about Apple products (which you proudly state that you would never buy, so it's not surprising that you're wrong on most of your facts).

Now, it makes sense for someone to spend time at a fan site to talk about products they like. Simple human nature. Or, if someone has found that a given company has a long history of producing great products, they might frequent a rumors site to get advance notice of future products. But why in the world would someone spend their time going to a site for a product they don't use and insist that they will never buy just so they can spread FUD about the product and its users.

It's as if Kia users spent all their time going to a Ferrari fan site to tell the Ferrari owners that their cars are lame and more people buy Kias, so Kia must be better, and so on.

It sounds very much like narcissistic personality disorder to me. The trolls are offended that someone might make a choice different than them and they have to go out of their way to try to convince everyone that they (the trolls) are right and everyone else is wrong.

So, again, why are you here?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
So, again, why are you here?

 

No, it's all right. As long as the rest of his posts stay away from his first one here, it'll be fine that he's here.

 

AndroidUser, if you want an archetype for someone that absolutely hates Apple but is able to remain here because of his behavior, take a look at Gatorguy's posts.

 

And I realize jragosta probably just had a heart attack reading that, particularly from me. lol.gif

 

Anyway, if you remain respectful, don't make crap up, and cite sources in arguments that require them, we welcome your opinion.

 

Just don't call us all deluded. lol.gif

post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's all right. As long as the rest of his posts stay away from his first one here, it'll be fine that he's here.

AndroidUser, if you want an archetype for someone that absolutely hates Apple but is able to remain here because of his behavior, take a look at Gatorguy's posts.

And I realize jragosta probably just had a heart attack reading that, particularly from me. lol.gif

Anyway, if you remain respectful, don't make crap up, and cite sources in arguments that require them, we welcome your opinion.

Just don't call us all deluded. lol.gif

Once again, I agree that he has every right to be here. But the point is that it doesn't make any sense for someone to spend that much time spewing lies and FUD at a site for a product that they don't use and never plan to use. What's the purpose?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

How am I spewing lies and FUD? Explain. Show me where?

If you read my first post on the subject, I was referring to the endless stream of Apple-hating trolls who spew endless FUD and lies. It wasn't directed at you. In fact, the entire conversation was not directed at you as much as the entire group of people who have nothing positive to say about Apple, insist that they'd never buy an Apple product, and yet spend countless hours here spreading FUD.

You haven't been here long enough to have established yourself in that category.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

How am I spewing lies and FUD? Explain. Show me where?
Dude, just save your time. I used to be a Mac user and a pretty active user here. I was a fairly active member of other Mac message boards as well. After I switched to Windows I was able to stick around some of those places for a while because I was a part of the community but eventually I just stopped because it was too frustrating. Since you have no ties to the community here there's no point in continuing to try to argue. You will not convince anyone and they will not convince you.
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post


Dude, just save your time. I used to be a Mac user and a pretty active user here. I was a fairly active member of other Mac message boards as well. After I switched to Windows I was able to stick around some of those places for a while because I was a part of the community but eventually I just stopped because it was too frustrating. Since you have no ties to the community here there's no point in continuing to try to argue. You will not convince anyone and they will not convince you.

 

You're no longer a Mac user but you still monitor the message boards on a Mac enthusiast site for error?  What is it with you people?  I don't use Android; I literally cannot imagine posting on an Android site to "correct" their misapprehension regarding the superiority of their choice of OS.  I literally cannot imagine bothering to read Android sites (or Windows sites, for that matter) to make sure they aren't spreading "lies" about OS X or iOS.  

 

Just think about it for a second and realize how deeply fucked up that is.  As you say "too frustrating" in that you obviously aren't going to recruit people by going on about how wrong they are, or pointing out that their platform prejudices are possibly based on preference and habit rather than hard and fast differentiators.  I mean, I wouldn't start hanging out on a right wing blog so I could explain to everyone where they've lost the plot, because not only would it be "too frustrating" but it would be a colossal waste of my time.

 

Which is why, Tallest Skil's mellowness notwithstanding, I really consider anyone doing that here to be pretty much a troll-- maybe they don't think so, maybe they think they're just "countering lies", but by any reasonable human metric starting from the premise that you've going to spend your precious moments on earth railing against people you already know disagree with you and are never going to be convinced is just to warped too consider as anything else.

 

AndroidUser-- what's the problem again, with Apple users getting together to discuss their platforms of choice without being nagged by assholes all the time?  You can't sleep at night knowing that people are saying bad stuff about Android without being scolded?  Really dude, get a life.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

AndroidUser, if you want an archetype for someone that absolutely hates Apple but is able to remain here because of his behavior, take a look at Gatorguy's posts.

 

And I realize jragosta probably just had a heart attack reading that, particularly from me. lol.gif lol.gif

TS, I really don't hate Apple and steer well clear of "attacking" them. Don't think I've ever claimed Android or WinMobile superior to iOS, endorsed a product from a competitor, or posted that any other company is better than Apple in some way. Spent a few hundred on an Apple product for my son several months back (my second Apple purchase) as it was the best available choice for him. They've got a clear view of where they want to go, what they want to be, and one heck of a product line. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
TS, I really don't hate Apple and steer well clear of "attacking" them. Don't think I've ever claimed Android or WinMobile superior to iOS, endorsed a product from a competitor, or posted that any other company is better than Apple in some way. Spent a few hundred on an Apple product for my son several months back (my second Apple purchase) as it was the best available choice for him. They've got a clear view of where they want to go, what they want to be, and one heck of a product line. 

 

Then I apologize; I may be confusing you with someone.

post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I can see that, and understand some of these guys are stubborn and hard headed, so I'll just leave it at that.

Really dude, this website has news about other Android/Samsung/HTC/Google news threads too, not just Apple. From the looks of things, whenever there is a topic on those that I've listed, there is always a smartass saying something bad about it, it's ON TOPIC so people have opinions, just like I do and that's what I'm here for. I'm on Droid-Life.com (an Android/Google/Verizon community) and there's Apple fanboys there too, just saying..

 

Not that many posts over at Droid-Life, so it's pretty easy to check.  I couldn't find a single instance of "Apple fan boys" posting anything.   I didn't look at every single post to the beginning of the site, but certainly a cursory glance at the first few pages of the current topics didn't turn anything up. I don't think you could say the same thing of here. 

 

What I did see was Android users having pleasant, civilized chats about their platform of choice without any nonsense.  Must be nice.

 

As far as the focus of this site, they pretty much stick to industry news insofar as it effects Apple.  There are plenty of general interest tech sites, it's a bit disingenuous to claim you're somehow obliged to post here because Android figures in Apple's fortunes.  Try Gizmodo:  plenty of Android news and a rabidly anti-Apple commentariat.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You're no longer a Mac user but you still monitor the message boards on a Mac enthusiast site for error?  What is it with you people?  I don't use Android; I literally cannot imagine posting on an Android site to "correct" their misapprehension regarding the superiority of their choice of OS.  I literally cannot imagine bothering to read Android sites (or Windows sites, for that matter) to make sure they aren't spreading "lies" about OS X or iOS.  
I wouldn't say "I still monitor the message boards." For whatever reason yesterday I decided to come back here and just read a bit, I don't know why. I'll probably leave again now. Shouldn't have posted, oh well.
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

There isn't really much postings about anti-Android going on right now because Droid-Life is pretty good at keeping it's topics exclusively to Android, Google, Verizon, etc. so sometimes, yes, sometimes a "troll" would post crap on there that would start an argument towards Android and Apple fanboys. Here, you get everything in tech and especially since it is mainly about Apple, that's why you'll have people of all ages, talking about how they prefer this over that, which is good imo because it gives you something to talk about from the other point of view. That also brings up this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/149844/samsung-unveils-quad-core-galaxy-s-iii-with-4-8-amoled-screen

 

Which is about the Galaxy S3's release, and just looking at the first few posts, you can tell where it is going to be like for the rest of the thread. I for one don't have time to check and read all 250+ posts to that thread but I'm sure there is something between both Apple and Android fanboys too. I know for a fact I have not even place my footprints on that topic yet, but we'll see when I have some time.. lol.gif

 

Yeah, but even though that article is about the Galaxy S3 release, addabox is still correct when he says articles on AI "pretty much stick to industry news insofar as it effects Apple". Reading the article clearly relates it to Apple with.....uh......one sec......almost found something.....is this it?.....maybe?!?

 

This phone "will likely be a major competitor to Apple's iPhone 4S".

 

Phew...I almost thought AI had gone off the 'Apple track' for a second and put up an article that would have created a situation ripe for squabbling :)

post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Then I apologize; I may be confusing you with someone.

Riiigght. . . lol.gif

 

I think it's more a misreading of my intent and attributing much more to my posts than what I actually put in them. We don't all have to be anti-sumwun' do we?

 

Back on topic it's been reported that the HTC handsets that Customs was taking a look at pass muster just fine, running a customized Android version without the offending data tap function. 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3024889/htc-one-x-evo-4g-lte-custom-android-build-apple-patent-linkify


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/17/12 at 4:01pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Riiigght. . . lol.gif

 

I think it's more a misreading of my intent and attributing much more to my posts than what I actually put in them. We don't all have to be anti-sumwun' do we?

 

Back on topic it's been reported that the HTC handsets that Customs was taking a look at pass muster just fine, running a customized Android version without the offending data tap function. 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3024889/htc-one-x-evo-4g-lte-custom-android-build-apple-patent-linkify

 

Many other sources have reported the same with the opinion that these HTC devices are not in violation of the ITC ruling. I have also definitely noted an uptick in negative Apple sentiment with these articles, especially with the bigger media outlets (WSJ, WP, IW, etc). I guess this was to be expected though since this is the first time these lawsuits have had an actual impact on consumers. Overall, I do not think anyone is going to come out a winner in all of this.

post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post


I wouldn't say "I still monitor the message boards." For whatever reason yesterday I decided to come back here and just read a bit, I don't know why. I'll probably leave again now. Shouldn't have posted, oh well.

 

Hey, no offense Luca-- I know you from way back and you just happened to post when I was making a point.  Post more!

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #57 of 65

To re-iterate how bad the tide of public opinion has turned against Apple on this issue, I have decided to take a sample of some of the comments on a general news site covering this topic that allows cheers/jeers ratings. Please keep in mind that these are quoted comments from the articles, and not my own. This is also NOT from any Android fan site. I know this is not a scientific sampling, but I am seeing similar results pretty much everywhere...

 

"Apple is a fascist organisation, Jobs was their hitler."

45 cheers - 8 jeers

 

"This is just like suing some other car manufacturer for having round wheels. Come on Apple."

18 cheers - 2 jeers

 

"Apple are really starting to become annoying. They are now behaving exactly as they used to accuse Microsoft of doing - by using their muscle to try and block innovation and creativity of others, and tie them up in legal battles to prevent them gaining market share. This is not in the interest of consumers!"

47 cheers - 6 jeers

 

"Apple are developing a new phone now with bigger screen based on the great success of the samsung galaxy. I hope Apple get banned for copying this....fair is fair..."

22 cheers - 3 jeers

 

I know everyone at AI is rooting for the HTC customs block, but in the REAL world, Apple is coming across as the big bad wolf in this battle. Don't forget that Apple's most valuable asset is their public image. As I said previously, NO ONE is going to come out of this a winner.

post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

That's about the only thing that it relates to Apple is competition. My point with that thread is that Apple fanboys go off topic and bash everything Android/Google. I don't need to search around and find this for you because it's all over this board in general.

 

I think you mis-understood my comment. It was supposed to have reeked of sarcasm, but it may not have come across as I intended it.

 

I'll be the first to jump in and say that AI does not focus on 'Apple only' news, but instead, participates in more than their fair share of 'click baiting' articles.


Edited by e_veritas - 5/17/12 at 5:17pm
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post
…a sample of some of the comments on a general news site… 

 

Which site?

 

The comments show a grand lack of intelligence.

post #60 of 65

If your expecting the general public to have a sound understanding of the topic, prepare to be disappointed TS!

post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

To re-iterate how bad the tide of public opinion has turned against Apple on this issue, I have decided to take a sample of some of the comments on a general news site covering this topic that allows cheers/jeers ratings. Please keep in mind that these are quoted comments from the articles, and not my own. This is also NOT from any Android fan site. I know this is not a scientific sampling, but I am seeing similar results pretty much everywhere...

"Apple is a fascist organisation, Jobs was their hitler."
45 cheers - 8 jeers

"This is just like suing some other car manufacturer for having round wheels. Come on Apple."
18 cheers - 2 jeers

"Apple are really starting to become annoying. They are now behaving exactly as they used to accuse Microsoft of doing - by using their muscle to try and block innovation and creativity of others, and tie them up in legal battles to prevent them gaining market share. This is not in the interest of consumers!"
47 cheers - 6 jeers

"Apple are developing a new phone now with bigger screen based on the great success of the samsung galaxy. I hope Apple get banned for copying this....fair is fair..."
22 cheers - 3 jeers

I know everyone at AI is rooting for the HTC customs block, but in the REAL world, Apple is coming across as the big bad wolf in this battle. Don't forget that Apple's most valuable asset is their public image. As I said previously, NO ONE is going to come out of this a winner.

That's misleading. People tend to respond more vigorously with negative comments. The overwhelming majority of the public doesn't know anything about the issue and cares even less.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That's misleading. People tend to respond more vigorously with negative comments. The overwhelming majority of the public doesn't know anything about the issue and cares even less.

 

Maybe so. As I said before, quoting some comments from an article in the tech section of a local TV station website was never offered as 'scientific proof'. I quoted them because they seemed to me to reflect a majority of the comments I am seeing on this issue in non-Apple/Android/Tech sites. I also felt the cheers/jeers aspect was very telling because it is a lower hurdle for participation, minimizing the "vigorous with negative comments" factor, as you put it. It doesn't take a lot of effort to click whether you agree or disagree with something. In the past, the tone of most comments to articles that were critical of Apple have been fairly apathetic, but I have definitely noticed a different tone to this HTC story.

 

While I agree that the public doesn't know about the issue for the most part, that does not mean they can't forge a perception of Apple as a brand in ignorance...

post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

 

Maybe so. As I said before, quoting some comments from an article in the tech section of a local TV station website was never offered as 'scientific proof'. I quoted them because they seemed to me to reflect a majority of the comments I am seeing on this issue in non-Apple/Android/Tech sites. I also felt the cheers/jeers aspect was very telling because it is a lower hurdle for participation, minimizing the "vigorous with negative comments" factor, as you put it. It doesn't take a lot of effort to click whether you agree or disagree with something. In the past, the tone of most comments to articles that were critical of Apple have been fairly apathetic, but I have definitely noticed a different tone to this HTC story.

 

While I agree that the public doesn't know about the issue for the most part, that does not mean they can't forge a perception of Apple as a brand in ignorance...

 

 

There's never been a time I can remember where any online mention of Apple in any context didn't pull a bunch of negative comments, so pointing to same as an indication of deteriorating public perceptions of Apple over any particular issue isn't very persuasive.  If it were an article on Apple curing cancer the comments would be full of angry jeering and approval of angry jeering.

 

Meanwhile, Apple has one of the best regarded brands in existence, has stellar customer satisfaction, and is selling gear as fast as they can make it, while expanding their customer based by leaps and bounds.  Some people really hate that and will go out of their way to bash Apple at any opportunity.  Comments in an online article is such an opportunity.

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #64 of 65

HTC phones have cleared US customs, according to Taipei Times:

 

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2012/05/21/2003533313

 

Now everyone can take a breath of relief. Apple's IP is apparently safe and uninfringed.

post #65 of 65
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HTC handsets held up at US customs due to ITC injunction over Apple patent