or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple ordering screens sized at least 4" for next iPhone - WSJ

Apple ordering screens sized at least 4" for next iPhone - WSJ - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Unfortunately, anybody that uses a bumper or similar case will curse a screen that goes so close to the edge. I seriously doubt that apple would make such a mistake from a use ability pov. It can sometimes be difficult to highlight text close to the screen edge with the current border.

I suspect a taller screen is most likely.... Existing apps just display pixel for pixel with black bars top and bottom, iOS 6 could allow new ui functionality to take advantage of extra space. - one area that would really benefit is messages app - have you ever noticed when replying to a message, with the keyboard shown, as your reply grows, it pushes the message you are replying to off the screen to the extent that eventually you can no longer scroll the original message to check you have replied to all the points made in it. I often find myself sending a second reply because I have missed something.
post #82 of 85

Hmm~we are looking forward to iphone5 can give us a big surprise.lol.gif

post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What a stupid idea. They're not going to release a new format simply to add a row of icons. If Apple releases a 4" phone, they will almost certainly keep the same resolution and screen ratio as the 4S.
Yeah. That's why no one buys the 3.5" iPhone. /s
Is it possible that Apple will release a 4" phone? Sure - maybe even likely. But the difference between 3.5" and 4" is insignificant for most people. The physical dimensions of the phone are more important. If they could put an even larger screen into the phone without changing the phone's dimensions, that would be OK with most people (but not likely, of course). Heck, a lot of people wouldn't even notice the difference unless you have the phones right next to each other. The key is to not release a monstrosity like a 5.3" phone with a stylus and which requires two hands.

Oh come on... nobody would do that... would they?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post

There's one more question:

How many people would at least consider switching from Android to iPhone if Apple made a larger-screen iPhone?

Just as there were a fair number of people who wanted an iPhone but refused to get one until it was available on Verizon, there are probably at least a few people out there who would be interested in an iPhone if only the screen were a bit bigger. Probably a lot actually. It's obvious that larger screens sell so why not capitalize on it? A 4" would actually be small by today's standards, and with some clever design (specifically, reducing the size of the top and bottom bezels) it would barely be any larger than the current model.

there is another question:

Why should iPhone 4s users upgrade if iPhone 5 screen is the same size especially now that carriers are not handing out early upgrades?  

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

there is another question:

Why should iPhone 4s users upgrade if iPhone 5 screen is the same size especially now that carriers are not handing out early upgrades?  

to get quad core power? to tout the latest and greatest? how about to be able to use the latest features? I'm sure Apple will pull off something like SIRI that will only be available on the new device.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple ordering screens sized at least 4" for next iPhone - WSJ