or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June - Page 2

post #41 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I believe the iPhone has enough room to make the screen larger without increasing the size of the overall phone. If we didn't have Siri and voice text I would like an larger screen for texting, however with those two functions I really have no need for a larger screen, and I certainly have no need for a larger phone.

 

I agree, and not because you're a fellow skater.

 

In fact, Gruber and a few others have pontificated (leaked?) how this would be done.

post #42 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, the idea that Apple would update two phones at once. They didn't update the iPhone 3GS or the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 4S came out, as some rumors said.

 

If they're moving to a two-size world, that's absolutely a different story, but I can't believe they'd do that.

 

Well, okay... then Apple keeps the 4S the same but sells it at $99 with a plan.

 

Same dif... the idea is really to give people a choice between screen sizes.

 

I personally think it would be a smart move to update the 4S at the same time. If a 4" screen size does appear then the physical difference between it and the 4S would be much greater than the difference between the 4 and 4S... which, yes, would have been a stupid move on Apple's part (what the hell was the 4S other than an updated 4)... but any fool can see that.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #43 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i think the current size is perfect. bigger is not better. i hate those monster Samsung devices. its like carrying around a VCR tape in your pocket.

That's what Goldilocks said...
It's still just a rumor though.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #44 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
If a 4" screen size does appear then the physical difference between it and the 4S would be much greater than the difference between the 4 and 4S… which, yes, would have been a stupid move on Apple's part…

 

Well, that was back when people thought the 5th iPhone was getting a case redesign to be bigger.

 

EDIT: right part quoted now.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/16/12 at 9:36am

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #45 of 111

I really don't care about the size of the screen, as long as the size of the PHONE is the same size or smaller. I've held a Note in my hand and after I stopped laughing at the ridiculousness of two handing everything, I realized how incredibly stupid it is to have a huge two-handed only phone. Remember the original cell phone in Wall St? Yeah *that* crazy stupid...

post #46 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, that was back when people thought the 5th iPhone was getting a case redesign to be bigger.

 

Are you kidding me... you're now using rumours as your empirical evidence that something was proven to be a stupid idea.

 

Hint - something that is proven to be a stupid idea is something that was actually implemented and then subsequently failed.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Are you kidding me... you're now using rumours as your empirical evidence that something was proven to be a stupid idea.

 

Hint - something that is proven to be a stupid idea is something that was actually implemented and then subsequently failed.

 

Look… what? Oh, sorry, quoted the wrong part. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #48 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Look… what? Oh, sorry, quoted the wrong part. 

 

Oh.  lol.gif

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

 

AppleInsider: Don't you dare express your own opinions or thoughts, particularly if you present them as ONLY your own opinions or thoughts, because we couldn't care less and will mock you for them

 

Not the catchiest subtitle in the world, but it's accurate, apparently. lol.gif

 

You couldn't have expressed your 'opinion' in a more childish or sensational way. My point is you routinely mock and attack others on this board for saying the exact same thing you said, ie. 'If Apple does X I will never own their product again'.  Instead using phrasing like 'I would prefer a 3.5" screen size", you state I guess Apple doesn't want me to own an iPhone ever again.'

 

What ridiculous behavior for a moderator. It has nothing to do with 'opinion' but with acting in such a whiny, childish, sensational, and self-entitled way. The fact that you can't see that fact is even more depressing. 'Moderator' indeed. Try to set the same standards on yourself that you lecture others on, would go along way in preventing this level of hypocrisy. With 11,000 posts one would expect better. It also raises questions about what your like of Apple is even fundamentally based on, and how little trust you give the company if 0.5 inches is all it would take for you to never buy an iPhone again. Is the size the only redeeming factor of the iPhone for you? So things like iOS, software, iCloud, build quality, support, appstore, battery life, etc aren't even factors anymore? And please tell me, what would you switch to? I don't even think I've seen a 3.5" Android/Win/whatever phone in the past couple years. I'm trying to understanding your train of thought, but I figure one can't understand something thats fundamentally irrational. Just like your threats to drop iPhone if the next one is called iPhone 5. Really odd, OCD type behavior. 


Edited by Slurpy - 5/16/12 at 9:52am
post #50 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung, Don't get me wrong, I am all for a larger screen on the iPhone and if I have to settle for only a slightly larger 4" screen then I guess I will. This is all about personal choice and preference and I know some people are perfectly fine with 3.5", but if I had my druthers I would love to see a 4.5" iPhone. I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

 

Why stop at 4.5"? How about a 6" display to top Samsung? /s

post #51 of 111

Samsung's Market Cap Takes $10 Billion Hit Amid Rumors of Apple DRAM Deal with Elpida

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/16/samsungs-market-cap-takes-10-billion-hit-amid-rumors-of-apple-dram-deal-with-eloped/

 

 

you **** with Apple. Apple will **** you back. HARD.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

 

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

Reply
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

just for comparison, how quickly was June built?

 

37 to 42 weeks...anything shorter would strike me as premature anything longer would induce me to believe it late.

post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
It also raises questions about what your like of Apple is even fundamentally based on, and how little trust you give the company if 0.5 inches is all it would take for you to never buy an iPhone again.

 

Really? You don't see a problem with Apple moving their flagship device and profit source outside their proven market range? 

 

Quote:
Is the size the only redeeming factor of the iPhone for you? So things like iOS, software, iCloud, build quality, support, appstore, battery life, etc aren't even factors anymore?

 

When size determines the usability of the rest, yes, it becomes the preeminent factor in actually buying a device. If Tesla stopped making electric cars and only made electric limousines, you bet your biscuit I'm not just going to say, "Well, it's bigger than I wanted or find usable in any sense, but it's electric, and apparently that's more important."

 

Quote:

 And please tell me, what would you switch to?

 

Well, I have an LG VX5300 that I've been using for six years. I think I'll just keep that. And when its battery finally dies, I won't be able to find another one, so I'll just move to my 1st-gen iPhone. 

 

Quote:
…but I figure one can't understand something thats fundamentally irrational. Just like your threats to drop iPhone if the next one is called iPhone 5. Really odd, OCD type behavior. 

 

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure you're not certain what OCD means. I've explained multiple times the reasoning behind that. It's your choice to ignore it. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post
Samsung's Market Cap Takes $10 Billion Hit Amid Rumors of Apple DRAM Deal with Elpida

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/16/samsungs-market-cap-takes-10-billion-hit-amid-rumors-of-apple-dram-deal-with-eloped/

you **** with Apple. Apple will **** you back. HARD.


That's not even the worst part. That was a DIGITIMES rumor that did that to them! lol.gif


So it's likely not even TRUE, but it cost someone ten bil. 


Hopefully this will be the catalyst for an Internet-wide DigiTimes boycott.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #54 of 111

I think 4" is perfect, still small enough to use with one hand, but not as cramped on content. Put an iPhone next to even a "small" Android phone like the Nexus S (4"), and go to any web page, the difference in how much content can be displayed is huge. 

post #55 of 111

4" sounds like a good middleground to me.

 

3.5" is too small for me.  Anything close to 5" looks like a tablet and lights up the whole damn house.  4" seems just about right.

 

Chances are I'll be buying it regardless, but my main concerns are:

 

1) Bigger screen

2) 4G/LTE

3) Complete redesign

post #56 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post
Chances are I'll be buying it regardless, but my main concerns are:

1) Bigger screen

2) 4G/LTE

3) Complete redesign

 

What don't you trust about the current design? Not that I believe it'll stick around, but what's wrong with it that it needs a 'complete' redesign?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #57 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

What don't you trust about the current design? Not that I believe it'll stick around, but what's wrong with it that it needs a 'complete' redesign?

 

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it that requires a complete redesign, but the fact is, phones are seen as much as fashion icons as they are communications devices, and whether we like it or not, for Apple to remain a leading player, they need to take that into account.

post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with it that requires a complete redesign, but the fact is, phones are seen as much as fashion icons as they are communications devices, and whether we like it or not, for Apple to remain a leading player, they need to take that into account.

 

I think the success of the iPhone 4S (and 3GS when it was new) proves that the number of people that demand their devices "look different from the last one so people know I have the newest one" is tiny if not nonexistent.

 

While I don't deny seeing such comments on the forums, they're made by trolls. It's entirely possible you've been watching one too many Samsung commercials. lol.gif

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, they could make a 4" screen with the current aspect ratio with only an insignificant increase in phone size. Or, they could keep the phone at it's current size and get almost to 4" (probably a bit more than your 3.85"). But either way, we're talking about differences that are too small to be noticed by anyone but a few geeks with micrometers in their hands.

 

Well, this is basically what I was arguing.  

Slightly smaller than 4" (but close enough to satisfy the vague rumour), but no increase in iPhone size (to solve the "can't reach the other side of the phone with your thumb" conundrum). I just picked 3.85" as that would work out to almost exactly 300 dpi.  

post #60 of 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Face it, the iphone screen size will increase and everyone will say that's what they always wanted and deny any knowledge of saying 3.5" is the be all end all. Then Apple is gonna market the 4" screen like its the first ever 4" screen and its amazing and will change your life, and people will do like the iphone was the first to come out with a 4" screen.

 

We've seen this play out before with siri, multi-tasking, 8MP cameras, etc

 

Lets stop pretending like we don't know how this is gonna turn out.

 

Lets just be happy that you will finally be able to read a web page without having to zoom in all the time, like other people can on their big screen phones.....unless of course you have super man eyes that is :)

 

You do not sound blissful, but angry...?  Is the old saying of "Ignorance is bliss" really not true?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i think the current size is perfect. bigger is not better. i hate those monster Samsung devices. its like carrying around a VCR tape in your pocket.

 

4 might be ok.. but I seriously HATE all these giant phones these days... 4" might be ok, I'll have to wait and see.  Its like we worked harder and harder to make small phones smaller and smaller... finally they could even fit in a pocket.  Now with Smart Phones they are doing the opposite and making them bigger and bigger... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

 

I don't intend to be confrontational, but none of this happened.  Why are you saying it did?  I have zero investment in promoting Apple products...but Apple never claimed to have the first voice recognition software, the first multi-tasking software, or the first 8mp camera.  I don't understand - why are you making this up?  You're writing as though you are emotionally involved and are trying to find someway to hurt people who like Apple products.  I'm sure Apple will find a way to put a positive spin on it...it's marketing, but what you wrote is just emotional nonsense, is it not?  Why so emotionally involved?

Apple haters do this stuff everywhere.  Usually around 75% of the story is fabricated so there can be hints of truth in there and they can try to convince people things happen that never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

 

i heard a rumour that detroit was building a three-wheeled car. i guess they never want me to own a car again. or are you just drumming up ai business?

now your going to claim they were the first to do it!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Regal

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You sound almost as ridiculous as people that are opposed to same sex marriages by arguing if you allow that why stop there, next people will be marrying their pets. Can I borrow some of that straw you like to use for your argument since you seem to have an abundance. 

 

but its true... we started letting opposite sex couples get married and now same sex couples want to... there is already a history it keeps getting pushed further and further... we need to outlaw marriage now before all this gets even more out of hand!!!

post #61 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, the idea that Apple would update two phones at once. They didn't update the iPhone 3GS or the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 4S came out, as some rumors said.

 

If they're moving to a two-size world, that's absolutely a different story, but I can't believe they'd do that.

 

I thought they did.  I haven't seen any for sale, but didn't they make a sort of 'special edition' 8GB iPhone 4 for certain foreign markets at the same time the iPhone 4s came out?  They also did the CDMA phone and there is talk of a special one for China's networks.  It doesn't seem really true that they always stick to the same single design or that they don't revise older models for different market segments.  

post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
I thought they did.  I haven't seen any for sale, but didn't they make a sort of 'special edition' 8GB iPhone 4 for certain foreign markets at the same time the iPhone 4s came out?

 

Oh, they did, didn't they? Yeah, they dropped the iPhone 4 to 8GB (everywhere, it seems) when the 4S came out, but that's not an update. They changed capacity, not specs, which is what the old rumor from last year said would happen, and which is being partially argued now.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #63 of 111

How does a Jobs-less Apple artfully pitch a larger iPhone?  Steve could sell just about anything to anyone.  Phil Schiller....I'm not so sure.
 

post #64 of 111

I've been traveling through Korea and China the past couple of weeks and virtually every non-iPhone (which is a whole lot more than iPhones) has a 4"-and-up screen. It doesn't seem to bother the people here at all. I see a lot of them use it just fine with one hand and Asians, generally speaking, are smaller people with smaller hands. I saw a lot of Galaxy Notes in Seoul and although it does look goofy, people use it as a phone just fine. They seem to have no problem putting it into their pockets either.

 

Most people in densely populated cities like Seoul, Hong Kong, and Shanghai are in subways and buses to commute at least 2 hours per day. Then they walk around another 30 minutes to an hour. In a crowded subway train standing up, an iPad is too big and the iPhone screen is a bit too small for extended reading and web browsing. I live in LA and don't see a need for a large screen phone but if I was living in Seoul, I think I'd definitely prefer a large screen phone and perhaps even a 7" tablet.

 

It all depends on the environment you're in. Apple is going to pay attention to the city dwellers who are glued to their phones while walking around the city or getting around on public transport. One can't compare LA or most of the US to cities like Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo, Mumbai, etc. where the population densities are many times that of even New York. What works for them often won't work for you and vice versa. These people are going to want larger screen phones and a smaller tablet or even a 5" device like the Galaxy Note.

 

I don't see why Apple shouldn't cater to these city dwellers in foreign countries when the international revenues are already over 60% and will probably get much higher in the years ahead as they expand in densely populated emerging markets like China, India, and Brazil. The great majority of these people don't drive their own cars. A lot of them won't even have PCs and will rely on the phone as their main device.

 

The rest of the world isn't like America. America's population makes up less than 5% of that of the world's. Apple is going to pay more attention to the international markets than the US as times goes by. Just because some of you don't want anything bigger than 3.5" doesn't mean everybody else feels the same. In fact, the great majority do want something bigger. I hope Apple releases two versions (current 3.5" screen and the larger one) to keep everyone happy but I have a feeling they won't do that. As for me, I'll be happy with the larger screen as well.

post #65 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Really? You don't see a problem with Apple moving their flagship device and profit source outside their proven market range? 

 

 

When size determines the usability of the rest, yes, it becomes the preeminent factor in actually buying a device. If Tesla stopped making electric cars and only made electric limousines, you bet your biscuit I'm not just going to say, "Well, it's bigger than I wanted or find usable in any sense, but it's electric, and apparently that's more important."

 

Well, I have an LG VX5300 that I've been using for six years. I think I'll just keep that. And when its battery finally dies, I won't be able to find another one, so I'll just move to my 1st-gen iPhone. 

 

 

I'm sure it is. I'm also sure you're not certain what OCD means. I've explained multiple times the reasoning behind that. It's your choice to ignore it. 

 

 

- 'Outside their proven market range'? What the hell does that even mean? Was the iPod in Apple's 'proven market range' when they came out with it? The iPhone? The iPad? What, enlarging the screen size is suddenly going to turn everything upside down? Apple CREATES their market range, it's not something that is dictated to them. Their 3.5" phones have been massively successful because that's the only thing they offered, not because they were specifically 3.5". The screen size was part of a fantastic product, as the next one will be, and thats not going to change. With your 'never change if successful' mentality Apple would have gone down the shitter a long time ago. Apple is successful because they constantly change and adapt, something you just can't seem to understand. 

 

- Yes, great analogy. A 4" screen will still be one of the smallest smartphone screens on the market, yet you compare that to a limosine? Do you not realize how ridiculous that analogy is? Or did you not bother to think 5 seconds about it?  

 

- The Galaxy Nexus/S2/Note are the most popular phones outside the iPhone, selling tens of millions, and they range from 4.7"-5.3". Yet, a 4" screen is suddenly a useability nightmare? On what planet? Why do you choose to ignore all data when making your ridiculous assertions? You speak as if Apple offers several screen sizes, and people are choosing the 3.5. Thats not how it works. Your 'useability' argument has no basis in reality, except in y our own mind. The market has shown otherwise, as large phones are selling by the tens of millions a quarter. And 4" doesn't even qualify as a large phone

 

- Wait, so you don't even use an iPhone now? And you're planning to moving to the 1st gen iPhone, which has literally ZERO appstore support anymore, and neither do Apple's own apps? No to mention absolutely no iCloud support, a laughably bad camera, slow as molasses, terrible screen (by today's standards), etc etc. Why not at least get a 3GS, a 4, or a 4S? What exactly is it you like about Apple, since you don't seem to care a shred about any hardware, software, or features they've released in the past several years? And since you don't even use an iPhone now, nor have cared enough to  purchase one in the past 4 generations, why should your perspective on the next one mean anything to anyone? How ridiculous and irrational. You're no better than al those trolls that whine about the demise of Apple and 'iToys', or how they will stick with a 5 year old OS because of some support for legacy code, and their unwillingness to accept any kind of change. You don't represent any kind of mass market opinion, but some fringe mentality that Apple should and will ignore to remain successful. 


Edited by Slurpy - 5/16/12 at 11:31am
post #66 of 111

There are over a half billion reasons to keep the device width the same - every iPhone app in the store was designed for specific dimensions. (That's a huge reason they exactly doubled the dpi.)  Apple will add a flag for new and resubmitted apps that will tell it to use the extra height.  This will mean almost no layout changes for many apps if they used the struts and springs right.

 

For apps that don't have the use-the-extra-space flag set, they'll run as they always have at the old dimensions (probably at the bottom of the screen).  The home screen will have the added row of icons (or maybe Apple will do something interesting with the extra space in Springboard - that could be interesting).

 

BTW, you'll still have to zoom for Safari (we're talking width).  You just will see more before having to scroll.

 

Oh, and I've owned a Galaxy S II.  It seemed lightweight, but almost awkwardly big.  Apple's pushing it for what the average thumb can reach if you're trying to reach the top while using your iPhone with one hand, but I trust it wasn't past the usability threshold in their prototype testing.

post #67 of 111

Waiting patiently for SolipX to weigh in on this....

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

4" would have been nice a year or two ago but even that seems smallish now. Most of the top selling Android phone are 4.5 and larger like the 4.8" Samsung, Don't get me wrong, I am all for a larger screen on the iPhone and if I have to settle for only a slightly larger 4" screen then I guess I will. This is all about personal choice and preference and I know some people are perfectly fine with 3.5", but if I had my druthers I would love to see a 4.5" iPhone. I know Apple would probably never do this, but if they made the next iPhone in 2 versions, one with a 3.5" screen and the other with a 4.5" screen, and in all other respects identical. I have to believe the 4.5" would sell in far greater numbers. 

 

Agreed. It feels like a half step, and one which won't stop people complaining.  Apple should go after the high end again, which is currently completely dominated by Samsung and HTC.  I'd love to see Apple do a 4.5" or 5" screen in the next iPhone.

post #69 of 111

Your vendetta against me is blinding you to what I'm saying. You may want to look to that.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
'Outside their proven market range'? What the hell does that even mean? Was the iPod in Apple's 'proven market range' when they came out with it? The iPhone? The iPad?

 

When Apple releases a product, they release a product that can serve the purposes of 70-80 percent of the people for whom that product is being marketed. They don't care if some toes stick out or you can't pull the covers over your head, because the majority is covered, and that has been successful (and shown to ring true, if you look at marketshare) ever since the introduction of the iPod.

 

Quote:
What, enlarging the screen size is suddenly going to turn everything upside down? Apple CREATES their market range, it's not something that is dictated to them.

 

No, but it will push things out of balance.

 

Quote:
Apple CREATES their market range, it's not something that is dictated to them.

 

And yet you're screaming for them to enter a market that has already been saturated with dozens of Android phones, their existence being nothing but a response to Apple taking over the rest of the entire market.

 

Quote:
 Their 3.5" phones have been massively successful because that's the only thing they offered, not because they were specifically 3.5". 

 

{Citation needed.} I'm certainly not saying it's the only reason, I'm saying you can't say it isn't a reason.

 

Quote:
- Yes, great analogy. A 4" screen will still be one of the smallest smartphone screens on the market, yet you compare that to a limosine? Do you not realize how ridiculous that analogy is? Or did you not bother to think 5 seconds about it?

When you think of an actual response, let me know. I'd love to continue this discussion to improve my analogies.

 

Quote:
 You speak as if Apple offers several screen sizes, and people are choosing the 3.5. Thats not how it works.


Right. Apple offers a screen size and everyone else offers the others. No one's forced to buy Apple products.

 

Quote:
And 4" doesn't even qualify as a large phone

 

Funny how three years ago it did. Funny how four years ago people thought the iPhone was too big. And funny how your statement is based on your viewpoint, not everyone's.

 

Quote:
- Wait, so you don't even use an iPhone now? And you're planning to moving to the 1st gen iPhone, which has literally ZERO appstore support anymore, and neither do Apple's own apps? No to mention absolutely no iCloud support, a laughably bad camera, slow as molasses, terrible screen (by today's standards), etc etc. Why not at least get a 3GS, a 4, or a 4S?

 

Well, I already have a first-gen. It's sitting right here. I've always wanted to use it as a phone. It's not slow at all, and all my apps still work on it.

 

Quote:
What exactly is it you like about Apple, since you don't seem to not care a shred about any hardware, software, or features they've released in the past few years? 

 

That's certainly the case.

 

Aside: deep red italic text should probably be the universal sign of bleeding sarcasm.

 

Quote:
And since you don't even use an iPhone now, nor have cared enough to  purchase one in the past 4 generations, why should your perspective on the next one mean anything to anyone? How ridiculous and irrational. 

 

Funny. Because I thought the idea was bringing Android users over, because the only thing they care about is big screens. Apparently the perspective of these people, who have never used an iPhone, don't use one now, nor have cared enough to purchase one in the past four generations doesn't mean anything to anyone…

 

… So Apple shouldn't be making a 4" phone to suit their "needs". Because they're ridiculous and irrational.

 

See the problem there?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #70 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does a Jobs-less Apple artfully pitch a larger iPhone?  Steve could sell just about anything to anyone.  Phil Schiller....I'm not so sure.
 

 

It will sell itself... as long as Phil doesn't speak.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #71 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

No, the idea that Apple would update two phones at once. They didn't update the iPhone 3GS or the iPhone 4 when the iPhone 4S came out, as some rumors said.

 

If they're moving to a two-size world, that's absolutely a different story, but I can't believe they'd do that.

 

There's one plausible upgrade. Apple might put the 32nm A5 part into the iPhone 4S, just as they updated the iPad 2 with the newer part when the third-generation iPad 3 was released.

 

The main benefit would be cheaper costs for Apple (smaller die = more chips per wafer) and slightly better battery performance for the consumer.

 

The newer iPad 2 units are using the dual-core 32nm A5 part and the Apple TV is using the binned single-core 32nm A5. Moving the iPhone 4S this fall to the 32nm part would result in cost savings due to economies of scale. The 32nm part would also be more suitable for the iPod touch.

post #72 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your vendetta against me is blinding you to what I'm saying. You may want to look to that.

That may be true for Slurpy. However, I don't have any vendetta against you and I'm having a hard time understanding the vehemence of your position.

There is enough extra space around the edges of the 3.5" iPhone screen that it could be made 4" (or very close to it) without increasing the size of the case at all. So if the external dimensions are the same, why would you object to 4"? Yes, your thumb might have to reach a whopping 1/8" further in the worst case scenario, but I can't see how that's such a huge "I'll never buy another iPhone" issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Agreed. It feels like a half step, and one which won't stop people complaining.  Apple should go after the high end again, which is currently completely dominated by Samsung and HTC.  I'd love to see Apple do a 4.5" or 5" screen in the next iPhone.

Nope. The iPhone can easily be manipulated with one hand. By the time you get to 4.5 to 5 inches, that's no longer practical. Since they can increase the screen size to around 4" without increasing the size of the device, you don't have such a problem with a 4" phone. You do have a problem if you go beyond that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

There are over a half billion reasons to keep the device width the same - every iPhone app in the store was designed for specific dimensions. (That's a huge reason they exactly doubled the dpi.)  Apple will add a flag for new and resubmitted apps that will tell it to use the extra height.  This will mean almost no layout changes for many apps if they used the struts and springs right.

People keep making that statement, but it's absolutely false. If they keep the same aspect ratio and resolution and increase the screen size from 3.5" to 4.0", the developer doesn't have to do anything. Everything on screen would be 10-15" larger, but the developer could use the existing code without modification.

The only exception would be an app that uses real-life measurements (like a ruler app, for example), but there are very few of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does a Jobs-less Apple artfully pitch a larger iPhone?  Steve could sell just about anything to anyone.  Phil Schiller....I'm not so sure.

 

I don't think it would take much selling. "Same dimensions outside but bigger screen inside. It's magic." What is there to sell?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

 

There's one plausible upgrade. Apple might put the 32nm A5 part into the iPhone 4S, just as they updated the iPad 2 with the newer part when the third-generation iPad 3 was released.

 

The main benefit would be cheaper costs for Apple (smaller die = more chips per wafer) and slightly better battery performance for the consumer.

 

The newer iPad 2 units are using the dual-core 32nm A5 part and the Apple TV is using the binned single-core 32nm A5. Moving the iPhone 4S this fall to the 32nm part would result in cost savings due to economies of scale. The 32nm part would also be more suitable for the iPod touch.

 

I was thinking the same. This seems very realistic.
post #74 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

You're a moderator, shouldn't you show just a TAD of rationality in your posts, and tone down on the extremism and sensationalism? 

I just discovered you cannot block a Global Moderator. Shucks!

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #75 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


That may be true for Slurpy. However, I don't have any vendetta against you and I'm having a hard time understanding the vehemence of your position.
There is enough extra space around the edges of the 3.5" iPhone screen that it could be made 4" (or very close to it) without increasing the size of the case at all. So if the external dimensions are the same, why would you object to 4"? Yes, your thumb might have to reach a whopping 1/8" further in the worst case scenario, but I can't see how that's such a huge "I'll never buy another iPhone" issue.
Nope. The iPhone can easily be manipulated with one hand. By the time you get to 4.5 to 5 inches, that's no longer practical. Since they can increase the screen size to around 4" without increasing the size of the device, you don't have such a problem with a 4" phone. You do have a problem if you go beyond that.
People keep making that statement, but it's absolutely false. If they keep the same aspect ratio and resolution and increase the screen size from 3.5" to 4.0", the developer doesn't have to do anything. Everything on screen would be 10-15" larger, but the developer could use the existing code without modification.
The only exception would be an app that uses real-life measurements (like a ruler app, for example), but there are very few of those.
I don't think it would take much selling. "Same dimensions outside but bigger screen inside. It's magic." What is there to sell?

 

I actually think expanding the lineup makes more sense than the one size fits all approach now. Remember apple started in this with much more modest goals. 1% of the market. Its not beyond reason that its time to reconfigure those goals and then your method of addressing them. Clearly Samsung and others have shown there is a large portion of the premium smartphone hardware market that apple is not appealing to. Its not a minority group of people buying those phones. There is no reason for apple to force a huge group of potential customers to piss off simply because they prefer a larger screen size.
Edited by Jcoz - 5/16/12 at 12:25pm
post #76 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

 

I actually think expanding the lineup makes more sense than the one size fits all approach now. Remember apple started in this with much more modest goals. 5% of the market. Its not beyond reason that its time to reconfigure those goals and then your method of addressing them. Clearly Samsung and others have shown there is a large portion of the premium smartphone hardware market that apple is not appealing to. Its not a minority group of people buying those phones. There is no reason for apple to force a huge group of potential customers to piss off simply because they prefer a larger screen size.

 

Their originally stated goal was 1% of the market, which makes their current success all the more impressive. 

post #77 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your vendetta against me is blinding you to what I'm saying. You may want to look to that.

 

When Apple releases a product, they release a product that can serve the purposes of 70-80 percent of the people for whom that product is being marketed. They don't care if some toes stick out or you can't pull the covers over your head, because the majority is covered, and that has been successful (and shown to ring true, if you look at marketshare) ever since the introduction of the iPod.

 

 

No, but it will push things out of balance.

 

 

And yet you're screaming for them to enter a market that has already been saturated with dozens of Android phones, their existence being nothing but a response to Apple taking over the rest of the entire market.

 

 

{Citation needed.} I'm certainly not saying it's the only reason, I'm saying you can't say it isn't a reason.

 

When you think of an actual response, let me know. I'd love to continue this discussion to improve my analogies.

 


Right. Apple offers a screen size and everyone else offers the others. No one's forced to buy Apple products.

 

 

Funny how three years ago it did. Funny how four years ago people thought the iPhone was too big. And funny how your statement is based on your viewpoint, not everyone's.

 

 

Well, I already have a first-gen. It's sitting right here. I've always wanted to use it as a phone. It's not slow at all, and all my apps still work on it.

 

 

That's certainly the case.

 

Aside: deep red italic text should probably be the universal sign of bleeding sarcasm.

 

 

Funny. Because I thought the idea was bringing Android users over, because the only thing they care about is big screens. Apparently the perspective of these people, who have never used an iPhone, don't use one now, nor have cared enough to purchase one in the past four generations doesn't mean anything to anyone…

 

… So Apple shouldn't be making a 4" phone to suit their "needs". Because they're ridiculous and irrational.

 

See the problem there?

 

1. 4" Smartphones are not a market in and of themselves they are just one way of segmenting the smartphone market. 2. Apple would not be entering a saturated market, there is no iOS smartphone in that size. That device doesn't exist. Its not as if people are suggesting Apple make a low quality, low margin product here, like was being thrown about with netbooks. 3. The idea should NOT be bringing Android users over, not when there is so much more smartphone market as yet to be established. Its simply addressing another (huge) portion of the premium market in a field apple is a huge player in. When has apple ever NOT done this?
post #78 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Their originally stated goal was 1% of the market, which makes their current success all the more impressive. 

 

Thats right. 1%.
post #79 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I think 4" is perfect, still small enough to use with one hand, but not as cramped on content. Put an iPhone next to even a "small" Android phone like the Nexus S (4"), and go to any web page, the difference in how much content can be displayed is huge. 

I disagree. If a website is properly formatted for mobile size screens, then the iPhone's current 3.5" display is good balance between portability and legibility. Unlike these forums.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #80 of 111
I agree, or if its a properly put together app. On my homebrew forums its a great size and far faster than any out in the regular www.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June