or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June - Page 3

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
1. 4" Smartphones are not a market in and of themselves they are just one way of segmenting the smartphone market. 


Yes, exactly.

 

Quote:
2. Apple would not be entering a saturated market, there is no iOS smartphone in that size.

 

Except you've just said the opposite in the previous sentence, not to mention this conclusion is fallacy.

 

The 3.5"+ market exists and is filled with phones already. Is it to the saturation point? Quite possibly; we've had phones larger than logical use for a few years now.

 

Apple either creates new markets or enters existing markets by completely ignoring everything already there, making their solution either drastically different or drastically better. Usually the former begets the latter.


Smartphones existed before the iPhone, but you'd be hard pressed to call one of them a smartphone today. Personal music players existed before the iPod, but you'd be hard pressed to call them PMPs today. The change is what makes Apple successful.

 

Just making an exact copy of what is already there+iOS does not make a larger phone successful.

 

This is also my reason for disbelief in the Apple television. Unless Apple plans to completely ignore the cable and satellite providers and their archaic way of pushing us content, they are doomed to fail in all aspects of the television industry if they release an HDTV. Similarly, they are doomed (though as it is by their own choice, it doesn't cause any damage to them) to remain a "hobby" if they do not do the same for the Apple TV.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #82 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yes, exactly.

 

 

 

Except you've just said the opposite in the previous sentence, not to mention this conclusion is fallacy.

 

The 3.5"+ market exists and is filled with phones already. Is it to the saturation point? Quite possibly; we've had phones larger than logical use for a few years now.

 

Apple either creates new markets or enters existing markets by completely ignoring everything already there, making their solution either drastically different or drastically better. Usually the former begets the latter.


Smartphones existed before the iPhone, but you'd be hard pressed to call one of them a smartphone today. Personal music players existed before the iPod, but you'd be hard pressed to call them PMPs today. The change is what makes Apple successful.

 

Just making an exact copy of what is already there+iOS does not make a larger phone successful.

 

This is also my reason for disbelief in the Apple television. Unless Apple plans to completely ignore the cable and satellite providers and their archaic way of pushing us content, they are doomed to fail in all aspects of the television industry if they release an HDTV. Similarly, they are doomed (though as it is by their own choice, it doesn't cause any damage to them) to remain a "hobby" if they do not do the same for the Apple TV.

 

No I did not, I said that a "3.5 market" doesnt exist. We are largely talking semantics with that, but the point most important in my mind is that there is a huge portion of the premium smartphone market that Apple is not addressing, and they have never done that in a market they are players in. That IS their segment of any market they chose to enter. The smartphone market isn't even close to saturated at this point. Even the US is only at 50%. When you are looking at the premium porition of that market or potential market, there is a strong case to be made that one size does not fit 70-80% of that sector.
post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I actually think expanding the lineup makes more sense than the one size fits all approach now. Remember apple started in this with much more modest goals. 1% of the market. Its not beyond reason that its time to reconfigure those goals and then your method of addressing them. Clearly Samsung and others have shown there is a large portion of the premium smartphone hardware market that apple is not appealing to. Its not a minority group of people buying those phones. There is no reason for apple to force a huge group of potential customers to piss off simply because they prefer a larger screen size.



While that's true, I don't think it applies as much here. There just isn't that much difference between a 3.5" and a 4" phone - certainly not enough to offer both if that's what you're getting at (I'm not sure what you're suggesting).

Where it DOES apply is the iPad market. I'm not sure that they expected the market to grow this large and this fast. At the time, a single iPad made sense. Now that the market has grown immensely and a large number of people are buying 7" tablets, I don't think it's unreasonable to offer both a 7" and 10" tablet.


I'm curious about the 1% number, though. It seemed more like Jobs was saying "EVEN IF we only got 1%, that's a lot of phones" because no one would have ever believed them if they said that target was 5 or 6%. I don't know, though.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yes, exactly.

 

 

Except you've just said the opposite in the previous sentence, not to mention this conclusion is fallacy.

 

The 3.5"+ market exists and is filled with phones already. Is it to the saturation point? Quite possibly; we've had phones larger than logical use for a few years now.

 

Apple either creates new markets or enters existing markets by completely ignoring everything already there, making their solution either drastically different or drastically better. Usually the former begets the latter.


Smartphones existed before the iPhone, but you'd be hard pressed to call one of them a smartphone today. Personal music players existed before the iPod, but you'd be hard pressed to call them PMPs today. The change is what makes Apple successful.

 

Just making an exact copy of what is already there+iOS does not make a larger phone successful.

 

This is also my reason for disbelief in the Apple television. Unless Apple plans to completely ignore the cable and satellite providers and their archaic way of pushing us content, they are doomed to fail in all aspects of the television industry if they release an HDTV. Similarly, they are doomed (though as it is by their own choice, it doesn't cause any damage to them) to remain a "hobby" if they do not do the same for the Apple TV.

 

Your comparison of pre-iphone smartphones vs iphone and Phones 3.5" vs Larger screened phones, is apples to oranges. A very poor analogy. The weight you are giving to a 3.5 inch screen isn't logical. I sure as hell didn't get blown away by the original iphone because I found the screen to be the perfect size, not too small, not too big. That would have never even crossed my mind if asked.
Edited by Jcoz - 5/16/12 at 12:59pm
post #85 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


While that's true, I don't think it applies as much here. There just isn't that much difference between a 3.5" and a 4" phone - certainly not enough to offer both if that's what you're getting at (I'm not sure what you're suggesting).
Where it DOES apply is the iPad market. I'm not sure that they expected the market to grow this large and this fast. At the time, a single iPad made sense. Now that the market has grown immensely and a large number of people are buying 7" tablets, I don't think it's unreasonable to offer both a 7" and 10" tablet.
I'm curious about the 1% number, though. It seemed more like Jobs was saying "EVEN IF we only got 1%, that's a lot of phones" because no one would have ever believed them if they said that target was 5 or 6%. I don't know, though.

 

I agree, keeping a 3.5 and adding a 4.3 or 4.5 would be far more logical. I dont see exactly why I can't just replace a word or two in one of your sentances and ask you why the same wouldn't be correct for smartphones - "Now that the market has grown immensely and a large number of people are buying 4.5" Smartphones, I don't think it's unreasonable to offer both a 3.5" and 4.5" smartphone" Do you think that sounds any less reasonable that way?
Edited by Jcoz - 5/16/12 at 1:04pm
post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

I agree, or if its a properly put together app. On my homebrew forums its a great size and far faster than any out in the regular www.

This forum is very 1.0-like but does your home-brewed forum have 100s of database tables with right, left joins and subqueries, dozens of include files, remote ajax calls to stock quote severs, RSS feeds, multiple languages, 1000s of concurrent users, embedded advertisements and pushing a continuous10Mb of bandwidth? Probably not, so it would be difficult to compare it to a commercial application on the level of this one, phpBB, VBulletin etc.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This forum is very 1.0-like but does your home-brewed forum have 100s of database tables with right, left joins and subqueries, dozens of include files, remote ajax calls to stock quote severs, RSS feeds, multiple languages, 1000s of concurrent users, embedded advertisements and pushing a continuous10Mb of bandwidth? Probably not, so it would be difficult to compare it to a commercial application on the level of this one, phpBB, VBulletin etc.

 

Fair point. its unfortunate though, because this forum and its patrons doesn't seem better off, IMO, for having those features. But thats the economics of it, so I understand.
post #88 of 111

Most people would want a 4.5" screen iPhone. Apple's plan is too squeeze as much sales as possible without changing much e.g iPhone 4S. They could have changed to a larger screen.

 

The iPhone 4S sells well does not mean the users do not want a larger screen if available. So the next model will be 4" and they will see how well it sells. Then the next year they will go to 4.5" screen. But Apple is no longer leading the design and technology trend, even though the iPhones still sell very well.

post #89 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

 

Fair point. its unfortunate though, because this forum and its patrons doesn't seem better off, IMO, for having those features. But thats the economics of it, so I understand.

One thing that this forum does do better than the others is that the url is not a searchable pattern for bots to attack so I would imagine that there is a lot less spam posts because it doesn't employ a universal script such as "showthread.php" which if you did a Google query it brings back 2,930,000,000 results. It might be a bit slower because of that though since it is using a string as part of the index rather than just a thread ID integer.

 

Edit: also it kind of looks like it is built in Rails which is not known for speed to begin with. Not sure maybe someone else knows?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #90 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

One thing that this forum does do better than the others is that the url is not a searchable pattern for bots to attack so I would imagine that there is a lot less spam posts because it doesn't employ a universal script such as "showthread.php" which if you did a  in Google query it brings back 2,930,000,000 results. It might be a bit slower because of that though since it is using a string as the index rather than a thread ID integer.

 

I frequent probably 4 different boards all of which are very different in content, target audience, size....etc. Absolutely none of them get spam posts. I only ever see that in comment sections of blogs and articles....
post #91 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Most people would want a 4.5" screen iPhone. Apple's plan is too squeeze as much sales as possible without changing much e.g iPhone 4S. They could have changed to a larger screen.

 

The iPhone 4S sells well does not mean the users do not want a larger screen if available. So the next model will be 4" and they will see how well it sells. Then the next year they will go to 4.5" screen. But Apple is no longer leading the design and technology trend, even though the iPhones still sell very well.

 

So a plastic Samsung phone is leading in design because it has a larger screen than the iPhone?  I don't think so.

post #92 of 111

I have my iPhone 4S right here and there's enough real estate to hit nearly 4.5" diagonally. Apple could hit larger target audiences without making the thing physically larger.

 

I've read the arguments and then started analyzing my usage. How many times do I use the iPhone 1-handed? Not very often. I even dial numbers (when I'm not using Siri) with 2 hands. I don't even hold the phone to my head with one hand, preferring to use the speakers as I hold it while I'm walking. Or it lays flat in my car while Bluetooth takes the audio.

 

So for me, and likely many many others, using their iPhone is almost always a 2-handed operation. I hold it in one hand and interact with it with the other. If I'm using it this way 99% of the time, I would definitely appreciate a larger screen. I, too, am tired of squinting and scrolling to read the occasional web page.

 

I'd even offer that there is some room to make the device physically larger. Just a tad. 4.5 - 5" seems like a better target. The market will decide as Apple moves along.

 

And while they're at it, beef up the speakers.....

post #93 of 111

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your vendetta against me is blinding you to what I'm saying. You may want to look to that.

 

 

Vendetta? Nice try. I have a vendetta against extreme irrationality. That's all. 

 

 

Quote:
When Apple releases a product, they release a product that can serve the purposes of 70-80 percent of the people for whom that product is being marketed. They don't care if some toes stick out or you can't pull the covers over your head, because the majority is covered, and that has been successful (and shown to ring true, if you look at marketshare) ever since the introduction of the iPod.

 

Yet you proclaim that a 4" screen wouldn't serve the purposes of the vast majority..based on zero evidence, just because you said so. My arguments towards your points are not and were never based on my own opinion, which is irrelevant, but market realties that you seem completely dismissive and out of touch with. 

 

 

 

Quote:

No, but it will push things out of balance.

 

 

Again, cause you say so, right?

 

 

Quote:

 

And yet you're screaming for them to enter a market that has already been saturated with dozens of Android phones, their existence being nothing but a response to Apple taking over the rest of the entire market.

Screaming? You're the only one who's shrieking here. I'm arguing that a 4" phone won't change things drastically, where the hell have I demanded or advocated it? Stop misrepresenting things. Also, your implication is insanely laughable. You're stating that the 'market' is simply divided by screen sizes? Really? That by slightly changing the screen size, Apple will effectively be changing markets? Should Apple not have released an 11" MBA because there was already a market of 11" netbooks? Of course that argument is idiotic, just like yours. A MBA is not a netbook, and an iPhone is differentiated from an Android phone with more than just screen size. It shows how little you understand about Apple, or why people like Apple products, if you believe everyone will suddenly jump ship because of this one spec. Screen size has NEVER been the primary reason people choose to buy iPhones, yet you're stating that this is the sole factor that defines 'markets'. A 4" screen would not be a response to anything, but if they chose to go that route it would be a decision Apple has carefully thought out in terms of bettering its own product. You clearly have no understanding what a 'market' is. There is no 3.5" and 4.0" market. There are only products, and a 4" iPhone would still be an iPhone regardless. 

 

 

 

Quote:

When you think of an actual response, let me know. I'd love to continue this discussion to improve my analogies.

 

 

An actual response to what? Your analogy? I gave you one, which is all the response you deserved. That uour analogy was idiotic, and I even took the time to explain why. What kind of response do you want, pray tell, to your 'a 4" iPhone will be a limousine" analogy? It was an analogy that showed how fundamentally flawed your understanding is, so I wonder why you chose to include it if you mock the fact that I responded to it. 

 

 

Quote:
Right. Apple offers a screen size and everyone else offers the others. No one's forced to buy Apple products.

 

Your point? Again, you imply screen size is the main reason people choose iPhones. Again, ridiculous, and disconnected. 

 

 

Quote:

Funny how three years ago it did. Funny how four years ago people thought the iPhone was too big. And funny how your statement is based on your viewpoint, not everyone's.

 

Unlike you, I don't pretend to speak for everyone, as you always do. And unlike you, I don't shove my opinion down other people's throats and proclaim it to be divine. Opinion should be based on verifiable facts and realities. Do you realize that an appstore wasn't even envisioned during the design of the iPhone? It's clear even Steve Jobs did not imagine what the iPhone would become, and the myriad applications that people would use it for. Yet you don't think that MAYBE all these expanded uses might warrant a slightly larger screen? That 3.5" should live on forever because it was the original size? I know dozens of people who own iPhones, of all ages and in all walks of life. From comments Ive heard from them, almost every single one has said they love the phone but think the screen is too tiny. I have never heard a comment that its too large. Sure, my evidence is anecdotal, but I can't imagine its too far removed from impressions elsewhere. I'm gonna take a wild-guess and say that from the amound of posts you have on this forum, you don't get out much. WHich is why you're simply echoeing the voices in your head, and basing your opinions on nothing but your own disconnected view, not on actually observing normal people using their phones and hearing their comments. So my view is colored by my own experience as well as what Ive seen from dozens of others, friends, family, colleages, acquaintances, etc using iPhones. Your viewpoint, is based on nothing but a rigid ideology that has no basis in reality, as evidenced by your insane analogies. 

 

 

Quote:

Well, I already have a first-gen. It's sitting right here. I've always wanted to use it as a phone. It's not slow at all, and all my apps still work on it.

 

Another statement which shows how little bearing you have to a normal, average iPhone user. Or any smartphone user. My dad is the least technically inclined person I know, and all he used his 1st gen phone was for making calls, texting, and emails. Yet I replaced it for him last year because of his complaints about how slow it was. He ran no extra apps. Beyond that, I don't know a single person who still uses a 1st gen iPhone. The fact that you consider doing so, again, shows you're in a very extreme fringe, yet proclaim to speak for the majority of people and how Apple should accomodate those people. Nobody cares what apps you use. It's a fact that the majority of apps in the appstore are not compatible with the original iPhone anymore, and I don't recall seeing ANY of the big, high quality, well known apps being compatible recently- AT ALL. So you'll be cut off from the majority of the apps/features people use while using a 1st gen, which uses what is now ancient tech, and you're completely ok making that sacrifice, yet pretend to speak for the 'majority'. I find my iPhone 4 to be slow often times, as do others I know. Whats funnier is that you threaten 'never to buy another iPhone', as if Apple cares about customers like you who haven't purchased an iPhone in 5 years. Again, how the hell can you speak for what the majority want when you don't even use a semi-recent iPhone? I couldn't care less what you use, but continuing to make threats of not buying the next iPhone, and of speaking for iPhone users,  are incredibly pathetic and empty in light of this.  

 

 

Quote:

That's certainly the case.

Aside: deep red italic text should probably be the universal sign of bleeding sarcasm.

 

 

You can be sarcastic all you want, doesn't make my point invalid, and you're too cowardly to even address it. You don't currently use an iPhone, you plan on using a 1st gen in the future, so clearly whatever new innovations, features, hardware, and software Apple has introduced in their mobile line in the past few years means nothing to you. ie. if you had the slightest care for any of these you would have made the effort to get a phone within the last 3 generations. How does my statement contradict what you said? It's right there. You don't use, nor care to use anything that Apple has introduced in their iPhone line within the past few years. 

 

 

Quote:
Funny. Because I thought the idea was bringing Android users over, because the only thing they care about is big screens. Apparently the perspective of these people, who have never used an iPhone, don't use one now, nor have cared enough to purchase one in the past four generations doesn't mean anything to anyone…

You're not making sense, then again you never do. 

 

 

Quote:

… So Apple shouldn't be making a 4" phone to suit their "needs". Because they're ridiculous and irrational.

 

See the problem there?

 
No, I don't. Apple has not shown itself to be ridiculous and irrational. You have. Consistently. On many, many occasions. But carry on. You need to pad that post count somehow, and I guess the easiest way is to continue ranting about how you'll never buy the next Apple product, because of some horse-shit reasoning. Why don't you break down for us again why the next phone will never be called the iPhone 5, and how you'll be 'finished' with Apple if thats the case? Hilarious how often you threaten to stop being Apple's customer, when you can't be bothered to use their products anyway, and don't understand the 1st thing about them nor their users, nor human beings in general. Get out of your house, get some fresh air, and maybe you'll be able to claw your way out of xenophobic ideological hole you've dug yourself. Your basement isn't real life, stop making absolute statements proclaiming what people want and what Apple should do. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/16/12 at 1:42pm
post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

 

1. 4" Smartphones are not a market in and of themselves they are just one way of segmenting the smartphone market. 2. Apple would not be entering a saturated market, there is no iOS smartphone in that size. That device doesn't exist. Its not as if people are suggesting Apple make a low quality, low margin product here, like was being thrown about with netbooks. 3. The idea should NOT be bringing Android users over, not when there is so much more smartphone market as yet to be established. Its simply addressing another (huge) portion of the premium market in a field apple is a huge player in. When has apple ever NOT done this?

 

You're making too much sense, I predict you will be responded to with some assinine analogies involving limousines, or maybe elephants. 

post #95 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

You're making too much sense, I predict you will be responded to with some assinine analogies involving limousines, or maybe elephants. 

 

Making too much sense on this forum is like... oh, never mind...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

 

I frequent probably 4 different boards all of which are very different in content, target audience, size....etc. Absolutely none of them get spam posts. I only ever see that in comment sections of blogs and articles....

Well to continue further off topic - most well run public forums have administrators deleting the spam or they have sign up approval processes or post approval requirements. vBulletin also has a couple spam extensions that can delete spam on the fly. Just as an experiment, set up a phpBB forum with no restrictions and post a link to it somewhere popular on the Internet. Within hours, I guarantee you will have dozens of spam posts. They find it based on the url pattern just like they do with WordPress.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
The smartphone market isn't even close to saturated at this point. Even the US is only at 50%. When you are looking at the premium porition of that market or potential market, there is a strong case to be made that one size does not fit 70-80% of that sector.

 

Fifty percent of what? You have to understand that smartphone saturation is far, FAR lower than the saturation point of dumphones or landline phones, for example.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
Your comparison of pre-iphone smartphones vs iphone and Phones 3.5" vs Larger screened phones, is apples to oranges.


Yes, which is why I said that in the post you quoted. I explained how "smartphone" is the market and the sizes are subsets of that market.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
I would imagine that there is a lot less spam posts because it doesn't employ a universal script such as "showthread.php" which if you did a Google query it brings back 2,930,000,000 results.

 

Edit: also it kind of looks like it is built in Rails which is not known for speed to begin with. Not sure maybe someone else knows?

 

I'm finding fewer spam posts to be the case, but I'm also finding that our automated catcher doesn't catch very many of the actual spam posts, choosing instead to flag valid posts as spam.

 

So please, DO keep reporting spam that you see, because sometimes I'll miss some of it. The auto-catcher is supposed to learn over time, so maybe we can get it to flag the right stuff eventually.

 

And if anyone here would know about how this site's built now, it'd be Marvin. Strangely enough, I can't seem to find anything about what it's built on via the Huddler site or anywhere else…  

 

Quote:
Yet you proclaim that a 4" screen wouldn't serve the purposes of the vast majority..based on zero evidence, just because you said so. My arguments towards your points are not and were never based on my own opinion, which is irrelevant, but market realties that you seem completely dismissive and out of touch with.

 

Do you have evidence to suggest that 4" would serve the purposes of the vast majority?
 
Quote:
Again, cause you say so, right?

 

Because anyone is able to look at the last ten years and see that. Apple aims for the center of the dartboard and uses as large a dart as they think will stick. Anything that falls outside that is up to everyone else to fill.
 
Quote:
You're stating that the 'market' is simply divided by screen sizes? Really? That by slightly changing the screen size, Apple will effectively be changing markets?

 

I'm stating the exact opposite.

 
Quote:
A 4" screen would not be a response to anything

 

Well, if Apple announces one, we'll just have to see what the forums say about that.

 

Quote:

An actual response to what? Your analogy? I gave you one, which is all the response you deserved. That uour analogy was idiotic, and I even took the time to explain why. What kind of response do you want, pray tell, to your 'a 4" iPhone will be a limousine" analogy?

 

I'm sorry, I must have missed the explanation. All I see is:

 

Quote:
Do you not realize how ridiculous that analogy is? Or did you not bother to think 5 seconds about it?  

 

Did you write the explanation in #E2E1E1, by any chance?

 

Quote:
Opinion should be based on verifiable facts and realities. Do you realize that an appstore wasn't even envisioned during the design of the iPhone? 

 

I find this juxtaposition humorous. You couldn't be further from the truth. The App Store was envisioned on the iPhone from its inception. Jobs just didn't allow it.

 

Quote:
I'm gonna take a wild-guess and say that from the amount of posts you have on this forum, you don't get out much… …But carry on. You need to pad that post count somehow…

 

Hey, Solipsism! I get it now! lol.gif
 
Again, how the hell can you speak for what the majority want when you don't even use a semi-recent iPhone? I couldn't care less what you use, but continuing to make threats of not buying the next iPhone, and of speaking for iPhone users,  are incredibly pathetic and empty in light of this.  

 

Quote:

You don't currently use an iPhone,

 

Not as a phone. But that's not the primary use. I use it for everything else. 

 
Quote:
you plan on using a 1st gen in the future

 

If Apple decides to make a phone unusable for me, yes. Either that or I'll 

 
Quote:
…so clearly whatever new innovations, features, hardware, and software Apple has introduced in their mobile line in the past few years means nothing to you… …if you had the slightest care for any of these you would have made the effort to get a phone within the last 3 generations… …You don't use, nor care to use anything that Apple has introduced in their iPhone line within the past few years. 

 

Yes, that's obviously the case. You got me. This statement is certainly the truth.
 
Quote:
Why don't you break down for us again why the next phone will never be called the iPhone 5, and how you'll be 'finished' with Apple if thats the case? Hilarious how often you threaten to stop being Apple's customer, when you can't be bothered to use their products anyway, and don't understand the 1st thing about them nor their users, nor human beings in general. Get out of your house, get some fresh air, and maybe you'll be able to claw your way out of xenophobic ideological hole you've dug yourself. Your basement isn't real life, stop making absolute statements proclaiming what people want and what Apple should do.

 

Please note that had this comment been directed at absolutely anyone else on the forum, be it Apple ][, Zither Zather Zuzz, or any of our moderates in between, I'm certain it would be infraction-worthy.

 

I'm rather laid-back, so I tend not to care about this stuff when it's pointed at me. You don't know squat about who I am, and as such your prejudice is simply hilarious. And don't pretend you're having a favor done nor get all mock-deferential. I made the choice to forgo infraction power for the ability to continue discussion. I'm not going to be punishing anyone for insulting me.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/16/12 at 2:28pm

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #98 of 111
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I have my iPhone 4S right here and there's enough real estate to hit nearly 4.5" diagonally. Apple could hit larger target audiences without making the thing physically larger.

 

 

Exactly. Though to keep the same form factor it would require the Home button to go for good or moved to the top edge where it can be placed along the Power button.

 

I've read the arguments and then started analyzing my usage. How many times do I use the iPhone 1-handed? Not very often. I even dial numbers (when I'm not using Siri) with 2 hands. I don't even hold the phone to my head with one hand, preferring to use the speakers as I hold it while I'm walking. Or it lays flat in my car while Bluetooth takes the audio.

 

 

 

I actually hold and use the phone 1-handed most of the time. It does not mean though that the Dialer app (the keypad part) should grow in size along with the screen.

Apps for 1-handed use could stay within the reach for any user at the middle.

But apps that need full screen (games, browser, video player) would utilize 100% of screen real estate.

 

I'd even offer that there is some room to make the device physically larger. Just a tad. 4.5 - 5" seems like a better target. The market will decide as Apple moves along.

 

 

Apple please do not make it larger!

post #99 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I would like a larger screen if the interface was slightly larger too. iPhone text and button size is a little small for my old eyes and large hands.

I'm with you on this, but I have a 4" LTC Incredible with the teensy tiniest font size and no way to enlarge a thing. I'm looking forward to owning my first iPhone with the release of the next one later this year.

A bigger and bigger percentage of baby boomers are needing larger type fonts and it would be wise for Apple and other companies to keep that in mind when designing their UIs. It would be corporate suicide to not do so, given the size of the aging populations.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #100 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Nope. The iPhone can easily be manipulated with one hand. By the time you get to 4.5 to 5 inches, that's no longer practical. Since they can increase the screen size to around 4" without increasing the size of the device, you don't have such a problem with a 4" phone. You do have a problem if you go beyond that.

 

As someone fortunate enough to be in possession of two fully functioning hands, I don't have a problem in using them both at once.  I always use my iPhone with 2 hands anyway, it's much easier to use that way.

post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yes ... I explained how ... I'm finding ... Strangely enough... evidence ... ? ... I'm stating ... I find this juxtaposition humorous ... I couldn't care less ... I'm rather laid-back ... it's ... who I am ... don't pretend ... I'm not going to be punishing (you) ... for insulting me.

 

A good rule of thumb on forums (which you should already know) is that if you find yourself going back and forth three times with the same person on the same topic .... you should give up. If you also find yourself fighting with more than three people at once on the same thread ... you should give up. 

 

I don't know what a "global moderator" is supposed to be, or if you are really even a moderator at all, but you're coming across very poorly here IMO.  

I generally find myself in agreement with most of your posts (when they contain anything but endless rebuttals), but regardless of whether you are winning or losing all these micro debates, you're just looking foolish overall with all this endless arguing over minutia  and personal attacks (which are actually against the rules).  

 

Friendly advice ... please stop.  Go for a walk outside or something.  

 

As a former forum posting addict myself I can tell you that none of this is really that important.  ;)

post #102 of 111

As there still seem to be a few people who want an iPhone with a tiny screen, why wouldn't Apple just offer a choice of screen sizes? They've done it for years with PCs, and it looks like they'll be doing it with iPads soon too. Offer a 4.5" iPhone, and a 3.5" iPhone. That way, everyone is happy.

post #103 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
A good rule of thumb on forums (which you should already know) is that if you find yourself going back and forth three times with the same person on the same topic .... you should give up.

 

This is neither minutia nor pointless, and neither of us is completely right. I'd rather we sort things out than let it sit.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Great Idea! Even though you are being sarcastic I would love a 6" iPhone. With a good bluetooth headset it would enable me to ditch my iPad and only carry one device. Of course Apple would never make that since it would kill iPad sales, but a 5" to 6" iPhone would be perfect for my needs. But thanks for making my case about hyperbole. No one besides you mentioned anything about 6". I realize that would be a niche product at best. But an iPhone in the 4" to 4.5" size will easily fit in your pocket. If you like tiny screens, why stop at 3.5", why not a 1.5" screen? 

 

You sound almost as ridiculous as people that are opposed to same sex marriages by arguing if you allow that why stop there, next people will be marrying their pets. Can I borrow some of that straw you like to use for your argument since you seem to have an abundance. 

 

I never said I liked tiny screens. I said that Apple chose what they concluded was the optimal size and shape for a smartphone.

 

Since you're a little slow on the uptake, my point was that many people think that Apple "needs" to make a bigger iPhone because Samsung has one and because "bigger is better." Apple has always shied away from competing on "specs" and has focused instead on what's best, period. Quite a few people seem to agree given their unparalleled success over the last several years.

 

A great example of this is how a review of smartphone cameras revealed that the iPhone generated higher quality images than competing phones boasting higher resolution cameras. It's not about the specs, it's about the total execution.

post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think it would take much selling. "Same dimensions outside but bigger screen inside. It's magic." What is there to sell?
That's assuming the phone overall doesnt increase in size. If that's the case then yeah easy sell. But if, god forbid, the phone itself gets much bigger ala Samsung then I'm not so sure.
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjdc View Post

Nope, won't buy the iPhone 5 if it is a physically larger device; at 4" that's too big. Really can't see carrying around a larger form factor in jeans pockets, suit jacket pocket, dress shirt pocket. Size isn't everything (when it comes to gadgets). I know so many business people that would kill for a smaller smartphone. Don't need a full blown personal computer in my pocket.

People would kill for a smaller smartphone?  Why resort to murder when there are BlackBerry and Android options with smaller form factors...

 

Edit - to each their own, choice is a good thing in this market, however, a larger phone would still fit perfectly inside a dress pocket with no issues.  Unless you're wearing skinny jeans, there is also absolutely no problems with phones in the front pocket.  With skinny jeans, the back pocket is suitable.

post #107 of 111
You left out- Apple needed to wait until the 4" screen was perfected to Apples standards.
post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This forum is very 1.0-like but does your home-brewed forum have 100s of database tables with right, left joins and subqueries, dozens of include files, remote ajax calls to stock quote severs, RSS feeds, multiple languages, 1000s of concurrent users, embedded advertisements and pushing a continuous10Mb of bandwidth? Probably not, so it would be difficult to compare it to a commercial application on the level of this one, phpBB, VBulletin etc.

 

Um... I think you just explained the unexplained data usage increase on my iPhone since these forums went live.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #109 of 111

+1 for Tallest's initial post.  Practical case in point:

 

My wife's LG Shine II is finally starting to give up the ghost, but we were planning to hold off for the upcoming iPhone.  Note that her LG is a slider; it might be a little thicker, but it's a LOT smaller in the hand, and that's important to her.  The size of the 4s is pushing it for her smaller hands, but she really likes the feature set.

 

This rumor of a larger screen has us seriously considering purchasing a 4S sooner than later (8GB will not be enough).

Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
Booga: "Elon Musk goes for the stars, [Ballmer] installs Windows on a basketball team's computers.  Sounds about right."
Reply
post #110 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just discovered you cannot block a Global Moderator. Shucks!

So, despite what SolipsX says, a moderator is a Digital Jesus!

post #111 of 111
Same size, less frame thickness, larger screen. Et voilà!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 4" screens for Apple's next iPhone will be built as soon as June