or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: LG Display, AU Optronics have passed certification for 'iPad mini' LCD panels

Rumor: LG Display, AU Optronics have passed certification for 'iPad mini' LCD panels

post #1 of 44
A new report claims display makers LG Display and AU Optronics have passed certification tests for LCD panels bound for a rumored "iPad mini."

Taiwan's The Liberty Times (Google Translation, via MacOtakara) reported on Wednesday that the two companies are now preparing shipments of the panels to Apple.

The report also claimed Radiant will supply the backlight module and Nissha Printing will provide a thin-film sensor to TPK and Chimei Innolux. The rumor comes on the heels of an earlier report also out of Taiwan that claimed the rumored device would make use of a "G/F2" thin-film touch technology from Nissha.

Author Chen Meiying said that, according to market rumors, the so-called "iPad mini" is expected to come out at the end of the third quarter or into the fourth quarter of this year. 2012 shipment targets were said to be six million units.

An increasing number of analysts and anonymous sources have claimed that Apple is developing a smaller form-factor iPad. For instance, Barclays' Ben A. Reitzes said this week that his research has led him to believe that the company will release such a device this fall.

Reports have suggested that the new iPad would have a 7.85-inch screen with a resolution of 1,024 x 768 pixels, the same as the first-generation and second-generation iPads. Apple's latest iPad features a Retina Display with double the resolution of its predecessors.

Rumors of an 8-inch iPad have been met with skepticism by some, especially in light of comments made by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs on an earnings conference call in 2010. At the time, Jobs said that the size of smaller form-factor tablets wasn't "sufficient to create great tablet apps."

Daring Fireball's John Gruber has said a 7.85-inch display with the 1,024 x 768 resolution would be "usable." After his sources told him that Apple was "nodding" with such a device in its labs, Gruber performed an informal test by taking screenshots of an iPad and then viewing them in landscape mode.

"There are a couple areas where I think text is maybe a little too small, but it's not ridiculously small," he said.

iPad screenshot
Screenshot of iPad in portrait viewed in landscape
post #2 of 44

Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense, nor am I changing my belief that it would be a failure, given that over 70% of shipped tablets are iPads and 95% of all tablet traffic is on iPads.

But If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out, man. Keep believing this stuff, and if it happens, it happens.

Apple hasn't had a failure since the Cube, and I'd rather it be a small one than a big one. Like an HDTV.

post #3 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense

Good, because your opinions have no bearing on what Apple chooses to do.

The multitude of different rumors from different sources certainly seems legitimate. It's not just one "analyst" with a bug up his butt.

post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

The multitude of different rumors from different sources certainly seems legitimate. It's not just one "analyst" with a bug up his butt.

Nor was that the case in 2008 with the iPhone nano.

post #5 of 44

It's not the DigiTimes, it must be true.

post #6 of 44
And Apple will dominate the tablet market by even a wider margin by adding a 7" model to the line up.. I don't have an iPad but I would definitely buy one if it's 7". And I'm sure there a lot of people who would want one to.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
After his sources told him that Apple was "nodding" with such a device in its labs, Gruber performed an informal test by taking screenshots of an iPad and then viewing them in landscape mode.

Yes, "nodding." lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 44
I don't believe it either, but if it sticks it to the Android market...game on!

With all these rumours whipping around I can't help but think that WWDC 2012 is going to go for about four hours.

iOS6, Mountain Lion, new MacBook Pros, iPhone 5, Apple TV Panel, 7 inch iPad, a Siri update, new iCloud features.

The list goes on and on.

It's a fucking horrible time to be an Apple fan.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
post #9 of 44

What is FACTUALLY coming

Is Called an iPod Touch !!!!

IF

Apple plays in this smaller screen size niche, it will be a SCREEN SIZE INCREASE to the iPod Touch !!

This is So very obvious to me !!!

Why is it not so obvious to all ????

post #10 of 44
Quote:

Look, I'm not changing my views on this nonsense, nor am I changing my belief that it would be a failure, given that over 70% of shipped tablets are iPads and 95% of all tablet traffic is on iPads.

But If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out, man. Keep believing this stuff, and if it happens, it happens.

Apple hasn't had a failure since the Cube, and I'd rather it be a small one than a big one. Like an HDTV.

The real question is how much larger market an 8" tablet can address. If Apple can make an effective $300 tablet in that size, I don't doubt that they can sell 12 million a quarter without a negative impact on iPad sales.

I'll admit it: I hate the iPad's size when it comes to typing. It is awkward to hold, and the keyboards really aren't well done. The portrait split keyboard isn't too bad, but laying in bed typing is pretty awkward. I hate needing to bring a bag if i want to take it with me. But, I wouldn't want a unit with less than the 64GB or a lower quality camera, or without unlocked cellular service. Fortunately, the price difference isn't an issue for me, but the price does keep me from pushing my wife to upgrade her first generation iPad.
post #11 of 44
I think such a device could be targeting gamers, competing even more directly with Sony and Nintendo. Thinking about it it feels like the sweet spot size for pocket gaming.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I don't believe it either, but if it sticks it to the Android market...game on!
With all these rumours whipping around I can't help but think that WWDC 2012 is going to go for about four hours.
iOS6, Mountain Lion, new MacBook Pros, iPhone 5, Apple TV Panel, 7 inch iPad, a Siri update, new iCloud features.
The list goes on and on.
It's a fucking horrible time to be an Apple fan.

Well we have some updates that are free:

1. iOS6

2. Mountain Lion (OS X Dev Program)

3. Siri Update

4. iCloud (depends on what the pay options are)

Things that cost money:

1. new MacBook Pro (if a 17" is in the mix)

2. iPhone (6th gen) ~299 (32GB)

3. Apple TV Panel (depends on the size and if the current Apple TV will get the software update)

4. 7" iPad (maybe.. since already own 2 iPads (2nd and 3rd gen)

So I'll be buying 2 iPhone (6th gens) approximately 300+400 (700+tax), I believe it's do able. VERY Excited for sure!

post #13 of 44

Like I said before.. this device is actually the next iPhone.  It will be called the iPhone Maxi-Pad.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #14 of 44
It is stating the obvious that the current iPad 2 competes with the new iPad so 'it's gotta go'. This is also a major opportunity to cut costs to something more 'Mini'.
post #15 of 44
Let's start by considering price point. The IPad 2 starts at $399 US. The Touch runs from $199 for 8GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. This mini iPad, one could speculate, would wind up at something like $349 for 16GB. While one can easily get away with 8GB on a 3.5-inch Touch, it's inadequate for an 8-inch tablet.

So you're a consumer and you have your choice between a $349 8-inch iPad or for $399 you can have the 10-inch version. The first thing you're going to do is try them out back-to-back. Doing that, nine out of 10 consumers, I suggest, would gravitate to the IPad 2. That extra screen real estate is transformative. It makes the IPad what it is.

Portability would not, meanwhile, be dramatically improved. An 8-inch tablet is no more pocketable than the 10-inch version.

This beast would be a sales dog and yet Apple would still have to invest a lot of time and money into developing and building the thing.

Why do this. That a small percentage of consumers would want to have a device this exact size isn't enough. And even some of those consumers would be satisfied with a somewhat larger Touch though one still legitimately pocketable.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I think such a device could be targeting gamers, competing even more directly with Sony and Nintendo. Thinking about it it feels like the sweet spot size for pocket gaming.

The key is pocketability. It has to fit in a jacket or coat pocket. A slim bezel on the longer sides would do this - a form factor more like a large ipod touch. The question then is whether it can be conveniently held with one hand.

If they pull that off then it will target gamers and others who would want a more mobile tablet.

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Let's start by considering price point. The IPad 2 starts at $399 US. The Touch runs from $199 for 8GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. This mini iPad, one could speculate, would wind up at something like $349 for 16GB. While one can easily get away with 8GB on a 3.5-inch Touch, it's inadequate for an 8-inch tablet.
So you're a consumer and you have your choice between a $349 8-inch iPad or for $399 you can have the 10-inch version. The first thing you're going to do is try them out back-to-back. Doing that, nine out of 10 consumers, I suggest, would gravitate to the IPad 2. That extra screen real estate is transformative. It makes the IPad what it is.
Portability would not, meanwhile, be dramatically improved. An 8-inch tablet is no more pocketable than the 10-inch version.
This beast would be a sales dog and yet Apple would still have to invest a lot of time and money into developing and building the thing.
Why do this. That a small percentage of consumers would want to have a device this exact size isn't enough. And even some of those consumers would be satisfied with a somewhat larger Touch though one still legitimately pocketable.

I think $299 is more realistic given the market and the savings compared to the $399 iPad. At that price, I believe it will sell very well. There are millions of 7" tablets being sold and the iPad could take a large percentage of those.

Given a $299 (or even $349) iPad Mini vas a $399 iPad 2, I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting. A lot of people would choose it for the form factor regardless of the price. Others would say "it does just about everything that the 10" iPad does and it's $50 or $100 cheaper". I really didn't expect the $399 iPad 2 to continue to sell well after the new iPad was released but it did. Some people put a very high value on the price - even when the difference is modest.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #18 of 44

Whats the difference between a bigger iPod touch and a smaller iPad?

post #19 of 44
Quote:

Nor was that the case in 2008 with the iPhone nano.

The iPhone Nano, the iPhone 5, ... the 4" iPhone, ... now the 8" iPad. I've left out a multitude.

How many times have we seen these rumors, with great specificity regarding the details of the "new Apple device", that turned out to be just rumors. The fact that they are repeated from multiple sources means nothing, it's just the usual copying and rewriting of the rumor by various entities to make it seem like they are in the know.

post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

I guess you haven't used either of them, but, obviously, the UIs are distinct.

post #21 of 44

Well Apple is making their phone size to keep up with the competitors, why not their tablet.   As big as they are, I am shocked how slow they move.   I guess Steve was just too happy about "All the things they didn't release".    

post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

With a bigger iPod, all the icons etc would appear larger, more widely spaced when compared to a standard iPod if the UI was unchanged.

With a smaller iPad, all the icons etc would appear smaller and closer together compared to a standard iPad - potentially harder to use?

post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I guess you haven't used either of them, but, obviously, the UIs are distinct.

This has already been discussed. The UI of the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad are virtually identical. Everything works exactly the same on all three devices. The only real difference is the spacing of the icons and number of icons on the screen - which is a trivial difference.

Some developers choose to make different apps for the different devices, but that's not a UI difference.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Well Apple is making their phone size to keep up with the competitors, why not their tablet.   As big as they are, I am shocked how slow they move.   I guess Steve was just too happy about "All the things they didn't release".    
Where is the evidence that people are lapping up smaller tablets in large numbers? Kindle Fire seems to be the only one and that probably is due to the Amazon brand more than anything else.
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Where is the evidence that people are lapping up smaller tablets in large numbers? Kindle Fire seems to be the only one and that probably is due to the Amazon brand more than anything else.

Not sure the numbers,   but those people that use their iPad as a camera would definitely look a little less ignorant if they had a smaller device to hold up and take the picture.   hmmmmm,  maybe a camera!!!!  :-)

post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This has already been discussed. The UI of the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad are virtually identical. Everything works exactly the same on all three devices. The only real difference is the spacing of the icons and number of icons on the screen - which is a trivial difference.
Some developers choose to make different apps for the different devices, but that's not a UI difference.

I suppose it depends on the level of detail you look at, but I view them as distinct, with commonalities.

post #27 of 44
Quote:

I suppose it depends on the level of detail you look at, but I view them as distinct, with commonalities.

What are the differences between the iPhone UI and the iPad UI?

Same icon layout. Same icons. Same function to go to home page, Same procedure to move to a different page. Same way to activate an app. Same way to quit apps. or rearrange apps. Same way to change settings. Virtually EVERYTHING in the UI is the same. The only real difference is that the iPad has more icons - which isn't really a UI difference, but even if you want to count something so trivial as a UI difference, it's one tiny difference in an ocean of identical behavior.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post
The real question is how much larger market an 8" tablet can address.

None. In fact, the market for a 7" is multiple times smaller than the iPad's market now.

Quote:
I'll admit it: I hate the iPad's size when it comes to typing. It is awkward to hold, and the keyboards really aren't well done. The portrait split keyboard isn't too bad, but laying in bed typing is pretty awkward.

Really? I've been able to touch-type (with two hands, landscape) since a few weeks after I got mine, and I've trained myself to be able to type very quickly with all five fingers of one hand across both the landscape and portrait keyboards (I'm faster on the latter with one hand). Maybe that's just me; I dunno.

post #29 of 44
Quote:

None. In fact, the market for a 7" is multiple times smaller than the iPad's market now.

Multiple times smaller? I don't think so.

Last year, Apple had somewhere around 60-65% of the tablet market, so everyone else combined was 35-40%. The largest seller was the Kindle Fire at 7". A number of other 7" tablets were also major sellers. I don't think any of the 10" tablets were among the top sellers - except the HP closeout tablets, and there weren't that many of them (estimated at half a million). If the 7" was only 1/2 of the non-Apple tablet market, that's still 1/3 of the size of the iPad market. And since Apple would do a better job than the other competitors, that percentage would probably grow if Apple were to release a 7" tablet.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Multiple times smaller? I don't think so.
Last year, Apple had somewhere around 60-65% of the tablet market, so everyone else combined was 35-40%. The largest seller was the Kindle Fire at 7".

Apple has over 70% of the shipped market and 95% of the being-used market. A 7" iPad would be filling in cracks, not a catalyst for gross expansion.

post #31 of 44

Are you sure the 7" screens are for a new iPad Mini what if they are for a new iBook, similar to this mock up.

New IBook.png

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post
Are you sure the 7" screens are for a new iPad Mini what if they are for a new iBook, similar to this mock up.

New IBook.png

Well, they can't use that name, but if we're going the completely touch route for a product that doesn't conform to anyone's belief of the future, I've always preferred this design:

alVH6.jpg

GOSH DANG IT, HUDDLER. NO ONE CAN SEE THAT.

http://i.imgur.com/alVH6.jpg

post #33 of 44
Quote:

What are the differences between the iPhone UI and the iPad UI?
Same icon layout. Same icons. Same function to go to home page, Same procedure to move to a different page. Same way to activate an app. Same way to quit apps. or rearrange apps. Same way to change settings. Virtually EVERYTHING in the UI is the same. The only real difference is that the iPad has more icons - which isn't really a UI difference, but even if you want to count something so trivial as a UI difference, it's one tiny difference in an ocean of identical behavior.

There are in fact a number of differences. For example, the popover and split view are iPad only. The iOS HIG highlights a number of other differences and recommendations:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556

post #34 of 44
Quote:

There are in fact a number of differences. For example, the popover and split view are iPad only. The iOS HIG highlights a number of other differences and recommendations:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556

Interesting, but that site talks extensively about iOS UI guidelines - not iPad or iPhone UI guidelines. The same is true of all the connected documents. That confirms that Apple sees them as the same UI.

You did manage to find a couple of differences. Congratulations. But those differences are used only in apps and not in the OS UI. Furthermore, a couple of very minor differences out of 10,000 UI features hardly proves that they are entirely different - especially when Apple says they're the same by referring to iOS UI rather than iPhone or iPad UI.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 44
Quote:

Apple has over 70% of the shipped market and 95% of the being-used market. A 7" iPad would be filling in cracks, not a catalyst for gross expansion.

The 'being used' market share is irrelevant. You get money from the 'as shipped' market, so that is what Apple would be looking at in order to determine whether to make a product. (Plus, an iPad Mini would probably have a usage pattern closer to the iPad than to the Kindle Fire, anyway).

I'm skeptical of your number. I've seen Apple's market share reported as low as 55% and as high as 68%. But even if we accept your 70% figure, it looks like I underestimated the number of 7" tablets. During the 4th quarter, the Kindle Fire alone was 54% of all non-iPod tablet sales. When you consider that the 10" Android tablets were about as expensive as an iPad, it's not surprising that there was less incentive to skip the iPad for a 10" android tablet as there was for skipping the iPad to go with a cheap 7" tablet. With Fire being half of all non-iPad sales, it is likely that 7" tablets were at least 75% of the non-iPad sales, probably more.
http://news.yahoo.com/kindle-fire-market-share-tumbles-q1-ipad-launches-173552121.html
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #36 of 44
Quote:
The 'being used' market share is irrelevant. You get money from the 'as shipped' market, so that is what Apple would be looking at in order to determine whether to make a product.

So people who never actually use their Kindles are just going to go right ahead and buy another one, then?

post #37 of 44
Quote:

So people who never actually use their Kindles are just going to go right ahead and buy another one, then?

Who said that?

First, the usage patterns you're citing are for Internet access. If Kindle Fire users mostly use their tablets as e-readers, they could be using them every day and not show up in those figures.

Second, we're talking about new customers, not those who just bought new devices. Android device sales will continue next year - whether the people who bought last year buy new ones or not. Apple has the chance to pick up many of them if they sell a 7" tablet.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #38 of 44
Quote:

Interesting, but that site talks extensively about iOS UI guidelines - not iPad or iPhone UI guidelines. The same is true of all the connected documents. That confirms that Apple sees them as the same UI.
You did manage to find a couple of differences. Congratulations. But those differences are used only in apps and not in the OS UI. Furthermore, a couple of very minor differences out of 10,000 UI features hardly proves that they are entirely different - especially when Apple says they're the same by referring to iOS UI rather than iPhone or iPad UI.

Well, view it however you want, but they are different.

post #39 of 44
Quote:

Well, view it however you want, but they are different.

Apple apparently doesn't think so.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #40 of 44
Quote:

I think $299 is more realistic given the market and the savings compared to the $399 iPad. At that price, I believe it will sell very well. There are millions of 7" tablets being sold and the iPad could take a large percentage of those.
Given a $299 (or even $349) iPad Mini vas a $399 iPad 2, I don't think it's as clear cut as you're suggesting. A lot of people would choose it for the form factor regardless of the price. Others would say "it does just about everything that the 10" iPad does and it's $50 or $100 cheaper". I really didn't expect the $399 iPad 2 to continue to sell well after the new iPad was released but it did. Some people put a very high value on the price - even when the difference is modest.

What savings? You still have many of the same components and cost and I can't imagine Apple opting for a resolution below what is now used on the iPad 2. As such, the price difference between the screen used on the iPad 2 and what would be used on the 7-inch iPad would not result in $100 less cost for Apple. Keep in mind that what matters from Apple's perspective is, what does it cost to produce the iPad 2 and what does it cost to produce the rumoured 7-inch device. The difference, I suspect, would be far less than $100. I'm sure that you personally would rather pay $100 less but why would Apple leave profit on the table. Every 7-incher Apple were to sell at the expense of the iPad 2, would cost Apple money. Even at say $30 per unit, if you're talking say 1 million units, that's $30 million off the bottom line.

There is another factor. Forcing someone to run iPad software on a smaller device, diminishes the user experience and that hurts the Apple brand over the long haul. Maybe initially the consumer knows what sort of trade-off he or she is making but in the long run, all that person will take away from owning the 7-inch tablet is that it wasn't suh a great device after all.

There is nothing in this for Apple and as such, you have to wonder why Apple would bother.

By the way, I'm one those people who bought te iPad 2 instead of the new version and I am happy with making that choice. The iPad 2 is a good product and for me $100 matters.

I'll upgrade when Apple reduces the weight and heat caused by using a Retina display.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: LG Display, AU Optronics have passed certification for 'iPad mini' LCD panels
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: LG Display, AU Optronics have passed certification for 'iPad mini' LCD panels