or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says

Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

With $100B in pocket and much expertise in Li-Ion battery chemistry and management they can certainly disrupt the auto industry too.

The car industry doesn't need an another fancy car, it's the telco's that need disrupting. Cook needs to take charge and fix what mars the Apple experience today - the telco's inferior terresterial networks and their shift towards high-price metered usage.

To disrupt the telco's, Apple should buy Dish or Direct TV - or hoist their own constellation of satellites into orbit - and provide ultra-reliable, ultra-fast, unlimited, global wireless service to customers who purchase one or all of the 5 computer screens we all interact with daily - the screen at work, the screen at home, the screen in the car, and the two mobility screens, phones and tablets.

Perfect the experience and Apple will continue to own the market, and the profits, with a 3-5 year advantage over anyone else.
Edited by King of Beige - 5/17/12 at 4:18pm
post #42 of 92

The downside is a new one comes out every year and you have to keep trading in your year old obsolete "piece of crap" iCar so you can have the new and improved iCar that's a few millimeters thinner and a few grams lighter.

post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

The car industry doesn't need an another fancy car, it's the telco's that need disrupting. Cook needs to take charge and fix what mars the Apple experience today - the telco's inferior terresterial networks and their shift towards high-price metered usage.
To disrupt the telco's, Apple should buy Dish or Direct TV - or hoist their own constellation of satellites into orbit - and provide ultra-reliable, ultra-fast, unlimited, global wireless service to customers who purchase one or all of the 5 computer screens we all interact with daily - the screen at work, the screen at home, the screen in the car, and the two mobility screens, phones and tablets.
Perfect the experience and Apple will continue to own the market, and the profits, with a 3-5 year advantage over anyone else.

Apple should instead take up the lead on developing mesh networks. Those have a far greater likelihood of disrupting telcos and cable companies.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

The point is the mind of Steve Jobs knew no boundaries. He was willing to consider anything, to attempt the impossible, to fail miserably and try again. Guys like him are very rare. I'm sure the CEO of J. Crew is not nearly in the same league as Steve Jobs in terms of vision. Jobs was a true futurist and made it happen many times in his lifetime.

I think it also deftly illustrates that companies that follow every whim of their visionary founders will soon self-destruct and that Apple had wisely implemented checks and balances to balance out Jobs' wilder notions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think it also deftly illustrates that companies that follow every whim of their visionary founders will soon self-destruct and that Apple had wisely implemented checks and balances to balance out Jobs' wilder notions.

Probably, some grounded nameless minion wisely talked Jobs out of pursuing what could have turned out to be an "iEdsel" or an "iTucker"

post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

self-driving

self-serving 

post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

that's news to me... let's see without the whims of SJ what they are going to come up with btw. 

post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

self-serving 

self-jerking aren't you?

post #49 of 92
Way back in the 1990's I picked up an interest in Touring Car Racing in Australia.

At the time, there were many different brands competing, such as Holden, Ford, BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Jaguar, Chevrolet, Volvo, Audi, etc… but the most popular makes were Holden and Ford. They were popular because they had been around for quite a while, and used the tried and tested formula of combining a large capacity engine (V8) with a simple rear-wheel drive system.

They weren't the best, but they got the job done.

Then, one day, Nissan came along and introduced a car that was the culmination of all of their knowledge and expertise, and also took advantage of modern technology.

It had half the capacity of the V8 engines, but used turbos to make up the difference in power, and, instead of a simple two wheel drive system that the V8's used, it utilised an intelligent four-wheel drive system that switched on and off depending on what optimum handling required at the time.

It was an outstanding success.

It launched like a slingshot, could pull a G cornering, and giggled like a Japanese schoolgirl in the wet-weather conditions while allowing you to drive in a manner that would cause other vehicles to crash in the dry.

Upon it's release in Japan, the car initially had twenty-nine wins in twenty-nine races. It was so dominant in the Australian Touring car series that it was dubbed 'Godzilla' after the unstoppable monster, caused some of the less competitive manufacturers to threaten boycotts, and eventually the race rules were changed to make it ineligible for entry.

I have one of those cars now. It is one of the most incredible pieces of machinery that I have ever owned. It has gone up against the likes of 2012 exotic cars even today, and absolutely decimated them. It cost me twenty grand.

There is an expression among owners of this car: "If you could drive God, this is what it'd feel like."

It is this car that embodies everything that Jobs and Apple believe in: It prefers the use of brain over brawn, and quality over quantity, all the while creating something that is absolutely breathtaking in it's ability to do it's job. Whenever I drive it, I can't help but be reminded that, given the chance, this is the type of car that Apple would have made.

I won't spoil the story and tell you the exact model, but the smarter ones among you will work it out easily.

However, if Apple ever gets into the car business, I look forward to that day.
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
…the car initially had twenty-nine wins in twenty-nine races… …eventually the race rules were changed to make it ineligible for entry.

This is the kind of crap that ticks me off more than anything. 

If you suck THAT much, you need to get out of the business entirely or actually make better products. You don't conspire to cheat the best of the best out of fair competition.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #51 of 92

So would it be the iCamaro?  ;)

post #52 of 92

WHERE is the rear window in that car?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That was a lot of extra formatting code. lol.gif

For an iCar, I'd imagine the frame would be made of one piece of aluminum and the door seams wouldn't be visible when they're shut… 

Lights would be handled by strips of LEDs instead of single lights… I wonder if I could mock that up… 

nano-engineered-audi-a9-futuristic-car-03.jpg

Can't mock it up… BUT, lights like the back strip here, except all the way around the vehicle at that same thickness. So when you're turning left, the entire left half of the strip will blink. When you're braking, the entire back half of the strip will be red. And the strip wouldn't have to be fully horizontal; you could design the vehicle around the lighting. 

Anyone else with iCar ideas?

post #53 of 92

Well, Jobs was in the process of designing his iYacht...  ;)  

post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Here're some more shots. The glass isn't visible. Sounds like something Apple would do.

AudiA9concept2_.jpg

AudiA9concept3_.jpg

AudiA9concept5_.jpg

a9-concept.jpg

post #55 of 92
Quote:

Just say, "Siri, what's behind us?"
Siri: "Maybe this will answer your question" (displays rear view).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 92

I remember reading back in 2010 and 2011 that Steve Jobs was in talks with Volkswagen and they were both very lightly kicking around the idea of working on a joint project, one would assume the so called "iCar".

I have a 2011 VW, and I would trade it in for the iCar any day of the week, just to have it!! lol

lol.gif

post #57 of 92

Don't know the efficacy of this claim, however, very sad that there were doubtless ideas forming in Steve's consciousness that we'll never learn about.  This project would have been particularly interesting however, IF Apple were to have played a significant role in hardware-level software design.  Hardware requires a real-time OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_operating_system).  This might have advanced an Apple OS in interesting directions indeed.  Of the current high-level operating systems, there is a real-time Linux.  Maybe one day...

Edited by IQatEdo - 5/17/12 at 11:00pm
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #58 of 92

Imagine SIRI integrated into the car's OS...

Driving down the highway, iCar-iPhone rings, SIRI answers... "Hello Tim, I am sorry that Newt cannot take your call right now, he is en route to meet you at 1 Infinite Loop in 10 minutes.  Do you want to reschedule or change the venue?"  "Thank you, I will pass on the message 'you are fired'... have a nice day."

post #59 of 92

@GTR:

Answer: Nissan Skyline GT-R, your handle gave it away.

there are so many things to say about that but I limit it to a few.

Anyone remember, Jobs drove a Merc SL 55 AMG?  So I'd assume the car would resemble the same smart design and forward thinking that Merc's have.  It's a little know fact that almost every major safety feature and standard innovation we now enjoy in our cars was first implemented by the S-Class Merc's.  Sounds like Apple eh?

I do wish Jobs had pursued this.  Tesla did it, and that guy invented Pay Pal.  Not even close to the background Apple has.  However, when is the world going to wake up and realize that Hydrogen is really the fuel of the automotive future?  I wish Apple would invest in Fuel cell tech and help the industry figure out how to mainstream that.

as for cars go, IMO, a German-esque car would be what the iCar would have been.  And for those who complain about bad stereos, pick up a new VW.  They worked with Apple for years and they finally got the stereo right when it comes to iPod integration.

My 2012 VW is great...simple design from bonnet to boot, only the essentials...smart design with many surprises.  Like the speed sensitive wipers that slow down when you're waiting at a light and.  The rear wiper engages when you back up with the wipers on.  Dials instead of buttons so you can set it and forget it, especially on the sunroof.  How annoying is it that you have to hold the damn button down in any other car to open the roof, when you can just set the dial.  Streamlining the car series by making all the interior equipment as universal and as high quality for most every model.  Just a few things that I love about the design philosophies inherent to VW's.

post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

Just because one thinks about doing everything does not mean they cannot and will not fail or that they are one of a kind. LOTS of people think outside of their skill set and fail miserably. Jobs made nice electronic toys that took the brain out of using them, which was his skill. He perfected what he stole from Xerox and others and then went ballistic when others copied him. He was a control freak, impossible to work with or for, and wanted to make billions for the company, and give nothing back to society. Well done. Massive market cap and that is it, quite the legacy. Wall Street and its band of thieving executives are proud.

Give nothing back to society? That's astonishingly myopic.

> There are upwards of 50,000 people who have a means of living by working for Apple, since when are they not part of society? That's some 50,000 that work for Apple, that doesn't include the people who work for Apple suppliers. 

> The billions in taxes paid by Apple, how has that not benefited society? 
 "In Apple’s last annual disclosure, the company listed its worldwide taxes — which includes cash taxes paid as well as deferred taxes and other charges — at $8.3bn [£5bn], an effective tax rate of almost a quarter of profits."

post #61 of 92

I was hoping that Apple would have a crack at something completely different - like designing and building a car. With billions in the chest this is something they can afford to do. There's no reason Apple should concentrate solely on developments in the computer sector. 

Besides occasionally buying other companies outright, does the company have significant holdings in companies in any other emerging sectors? 

post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Give nothing back to society? That's astonishingly myopic.

> There are upwards of 50,000 people who have a means of living by working for Apple, since when are they not part of society? That's some 50,000 that work for Apple, that doesn't include the people who work for Apple suppliers. 

> The billions in taxes paid by Apple, how has that not benefited society? 

"In Apple’s last annual disclosure, the company listed its worldwide taxes — which includes cash taxes paid as well as deferred taxes and other charges — at $8.3bn [£5bn], an effective tax rate of almost a quarter of profits."

Yes, but you're not really giving something back to society unless you're a bunch of relentless publicity-mongers like Greenpeace. /s
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #63 of 92
Code:
He wouldn't have been the first computer industry guy to try. Sir Clive Sinclair had a crack at this in the mid 80s, though I guess calling it a car was stretching the definition. Calling it a huge failure wasn't, though. It was Sinclair's main interest; much more so than the Spectrum 8-bit computer that made him rich...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5
post #64 of 92

An iCar would be a cube van with nicely rounded corners and edges :)

post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

And they would be built in China by FoxConn and made from Liquid Metal.

But it would have a "Designed in California by Apple" badge, elegantly lettered and in an inconspicuous location on the instrument panel.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #66 of 92
Quote:

It's an Apple. You don't have to look back.

It would need one if it were a Microsoft, because the steering wheel and driver's seat would be pointed in the opposite direction.

post #67 of 92

He is still a board member.

post #68 of 92

"Hey..wha?....the car isn't responding....utoh......oh geez.....SCREECH.........Crash!"

"You're driving it wrong".

post #69 of 92
50% of the market?! That is so absurd even he must have known it was BS when he said it.
post #70 of 92

I dont have a particular idea, but Steve chose to drive an AMG MBZ.  I've never been in the model he owned, but I'd be curious what features it has to see what sort of lifestyle he was used to.

That he drove such a precision piece of machinery and was still so unhappy he wanted to design a car says a lot....

post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

That he drove such a precision piece of machinery and was still so unhappy he wanted to design a car says a lot....

Precision may not have been the issue for him, because the AMG certainly is among the best of its lot. Although he drove a Porsche 928 before Mercedes, he had this to say according to Walter Isaacson in Steve Jobs:

“Great art stretches the taste, it doesn’t follow tastes,” he told Atkinson. He also admired the design of the Mercedes. “Over the years, they’ve made the lines softer but the details starker,” he said one day as he walked around the parking lot. “That’s what we have to do with the Macintosh.”

Isaacson, Walter (2011-10-24). Steve Jobs (p. 128). Simon & Schuster, Inc.. Kindle Edition

As to automobiles in general, Jobs may have had creative, game-changing thoughts about how to take them to an entirely new level.

post #72 of 92
Quote:

Windows? We don't need no stinkin' Windows!

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #73 of 92

Drexler misunderstood. Jobs was saying "I care".

post #74 of 92

Tesla Motors.

post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
Tesla Motors.

They do have the potential to be the Apple of cars.

Hopefully they won't screw it up. I'd like to see them collaborate with Apple engineers on battery tech. Get something out there that is decades ahead of the competition. 

post #76 of 92

Replacing all the buttons with one huge touch screen seems like something an iCar would do. 

tesla-model-s-interior-screen.jpeg

post #77 of 92

It baffled me for awhile trying to understand what Mickey Drexler...the Gap merchant prince, the guy who practically invented casual chic, was expected to bring to the table as an Apple Inc board member. And then the light bulb came on. He and Jobs were 'buds' so Drexler wasn't necessarily bringing any special expertise to the Apple executive decision-making process. Jobs was on the Gap board while CEO at Apple so putting Mickey on the Apple board was a bit of an incestuous relationship. Jobs gave Drexler advance warning of his impending firing even though the Gap internal board discussions were strictly confidential. Those two had a more personal relationship which went beyond their business spheres.

OTOH, Drexler's known for making marketing decisions with his gut...not market research and MBA spreadsheets with fancy graphs. <Sound like anyone else you've read about?> He's a retailing maverick; albeit, in the clothing business. And most of the time was right, especially among the younger crowd who put the iPod on the map; made his shareholders wealthy.

But then he called a couple wrong, got crosswise with the board and was abruptly canned, quickly landing on his feet again at J.Crew.

The parallels go on and on.

Drexler's a bit of a loose cannon though so it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear him say Steve Jobs wanted to build an 'iCar' when in actuality all Jobs may have done was just mention in passing...merely making conversation...that he could design a better looking car than anything currently coming out of automative design studios. 

He reportedly designed an 'iYacht' too but that doesn't mean he was going to start producing them beyond the one that's being built in France to his specs.

post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix01 View Post

Drexler's a bit of a loose cannon though so it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear him say Steve Jobs wanted to build an 'iCar' when in actuality all Jobs may have done was just mention in passing...merely making conversation...that he could design a better looking car than anything currently coming out of automative design studios. 

He reportedly designed an 'iYacht' too but that doesn't mean he was going to start producing them beyond the one that's being built in France to his specs.

I thought so too. Several anecdotes from Isaacson's bio made me think that Steve had no "off" switch; that he was hardwired to think of ways to improve anything that crossed his field of view. 

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #79 of 92
Quote:

"Steve wanted to do something, but he didn't."

And somehow that's news? I'm certain he wanted to make a car, but that's not Apple's forte, nor was it critically important.

In other news, Drexler has been ousted from the Apple board of directors.

So, given that there are no links in this article that allow us to see what he really said, could you explain how this alludes to the television in any way?

He also probably didn't want to make a full car but rather the dashboard and in car entertainment parts. 

And it says Steve and Apple wanted to 'deal with' the living room which is NOT the same as making an actual TV. Just perhaps some method of bringing that space and typical activities in that space into the Apple ecosystem. Given that the ATV set box and air playing games via it from your iOS stuff cover two of the major activities, it's possible that that is all Apple is thinking and that whole 'real tv' was a prototype they deemed not needed to actual move forward. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #80 of 92
Quote:

That was a lot of extra formatting code. lol.gif

For an iCar, I'd imagine the frame would be made of one piece of aluminum and the door seams wouldn't be visible when they're shut… 

Lights would be handled by strips of LEDs instead of single lights… I wonder if I could mock that up… 

It would of course have 802.11ac and every possible 4g tech so you can get on the internets for maps, downloading movies for the kiddies. who of course watch off built in screens in the back of the front seats or such. works with Siri (might be the only way to make a call, send a text etc). Control panels would be all iOS style apps. 

Because of Apple's growing environmental interest it would be electric or an electric/gas hybrid, possible with some kind of solar panel in the roof for recharging the battery (with also a plug for cloudy days or faster top offs). 

basically it would be K.I.T.T, Apple style

and no shock, jail breaking your car would be the new rims/way high tires etc. 

Edited by charlituna - 5/20/12 at 11:33am

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says