or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says

Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says - Page 3

post #81 of 92

In terms of frontiers left for Apple to conquer, the living room and the car are probably the only ones where Apple is not competing seriously yet. They have made big progress in the office, in the home (outside of living room), even in hospitals, etc. The AppleTV initiative (either the current one, or the rumored TV panel) will eventually be a serious contender for the living room. I can see the Car as the only frontier remaining for Apple.

Already people use iPods for Car audio - but that only symbolizes everything that is wrong with Car audio today - and is not the solution. I expect a future Apple solution to be a miniature iPad - about 7"-8" screen, that will replace the entire Car Audio unit. Not only will this serve as the Car audio unit, it will also serve as an integrated Navigation System, Bluetooth Car Phone system, Car Information system showing speed, mileage, distance to empty, and even tips to optimize driving. All of this already exists in a variety of apps, Apple will just need to integrate it together and come up with a much better User Interface - which is their USP anyway. I also expect some other Media solutions via apps - like Video Streaming, etc. All this will be fully integrated so that no interaction is possible on the screen directly when the car is moving - but it can still be controlled via a remote controller from the back seat.

The market is obviously massive - and no one has tapped it in a decent way yet. Ripe pickings for Apple.

Regarding their living room initiatives, at some point I expect Apple to release some sort of API that other companies can support - which will allow iDevices to control other appliances in your home. That way you can easily control your lights, curtains, refrigerator, etc. from your iDevices - both from home, as well as remotely.

post #82 of 92
Elon Musk + Steve Jobs = iCar Sorted.
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

In terms of frontiers left for Apple to conquer, the living room and the car are probably the only ones where Apple is not competing seriously yet. They have made big progress in the office, in the home (outside of living room), even in hospitals, etc. The AppleTV initiative (either the current one, or the rumored TV panel) will eventually be a serious contender for the living room. I can see the Car as the only frontier remaining for Apple.

Already people use iPods for Car audio - but that only symbolizes everything that is wrong with Car audio today - and is not the solution. I expect a future Apple solution to be a miniature iPad - about 7"-8" screen, that will replace the entire Car Audio unit. Not only will this serve as the Car audio unit, it will also serve as an integrated Navigation System, Bluetooth Car Phone system, Car Information system showing speed, mileage, distance to empty, and even tips to optimize driving. All of this already exists in a variety of apps, Apple will just need to integrate it together and come up with a much better User Interface - which is their USP anyway. I also expect some other Media solutions via apps - like Video Streaming, etc. All this will be fully integrated so that no interaction is possible on the screen directly when the car is moving - but it can still be controlled via a remote controller from the back seat.

The market is obviously massive - and no one has tapped it in a decent way yet. Ripe pickings for Apple.

Regarding their living room initiatives, at some point I expect Apple to release some sort of API that other companies can support - which will allow iDevices to control other appliances in your home. That way you can easily control your lights, curtains, refrigerator, etc. from your iDevices - both from home, as well as remotely.

Indeed. The "tech" for users in cars are incredibly primitive, not to mention cars themselves. I agree that the scope is massive if the major car companies can smell what's going on. For example, even communication with the car next to you at the traffic light is primitive. Honks and Hand Signals? How about Bluetooth Car-Car?

At least I have Cartrak... Kinda the LoJack for Australia which is really handy for my family far away to see where I am etc. That should be standard with all cars, not to mention previously the inductive charging "garage mat" for electric cars.
post #84 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

At least I have Cartrak... Kinda the LoJack for Australia which is really handy for my family far away to see where I am etc. That should be standard with all cars, not to mention previously the inductive charging "garage mat" for electric cars.

You must score pretty low in the girlfriend and mistress department ... lol.gif

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #85 of 92

How bout the radio, window, and all the rest of the main controls touchscreen, if possible maybe even make it convertible, hard-top of course.

post #86 of 92
Steady on there, steady on. Don't Forget that microsoft brought modern technology to the masses and probably helped spur the great productivity dividend of the 1990s.
Let's have some respect for Gates who is America's greatest pioneer. A whole decade went by when the world productively used Microsoft products and APple was nowhere to be seen. Gates loved Jobs like a younger but wilder brother but this love was not reciprocated it seems. Gates is a good American as was Jobs although I suspect he was born in Kenya and then moved to Hawaii.
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post
…microsoft brought modern technology to the masses… …and probably helped… …the 1990s. …Gates… …is America's greatest pioneer. 

Yep. I was right. You're absolutely delusional.

Quote:
A whole decade went by when the world productively used Microsoft products… 

A whole decade went by while Microsoft introduced so much proprietary crap into the worldwide computer industry that TO THIS DAY we are still picking up the pieces and shaking our heads at the fact that some of our infrastructure is IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED by the horrors they unleashed.

Quote:
Gates loved Jobs like a younger but wilder brother but this love was not reciprocated it seems.

Because it wasn't there in the first place.

Quote:
 Gates is a good American as was Jobs although I suspect he was born in Kenya and then moved to Hawaii.

And BOOM, political nonsense out of NOWHERE! It's a triple whammy, folks!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #88 of 92
First be very careful what you call me. I don't appreciate your insults. Apologise now.

Second Gates is a great American so give him respect.

Third I'm pretty sure if we look into your past we will find that you benefitted from either using Word or Excel.

Fourth - ever heard of satire?! You thought I was serious with the Kenya reference. In fact I was being satirical via commenting on Jobs about how people fuss over where people (i.e. Obama and the Kenya birthplace reference) were born more than what they contribute to this great nation! Satire - look it up when you also look up business acumen!

Fifth, I'm on my way to WWDC to waste anymore time with someone who thinks he is king of this insigificant forum sight. Look out for me in the web coverage of WWDC - I will be the one smiling that I demolished the inane words of a small timer.
post #89 of 92
lay off nvdia man . its you who needs a new car.
post #90 of 92
Quote:
Second Gates is a great American so give him respect.

Sure. He's one of the more successful businessmen out there. Absolutely he knows what he's doing.

Quote:
Third I'm pretty sure if we look into your past we will find that you benefitted from either using Word or Excel.

Nope. lol.gif "Was hindered by", sure, but never benefited.

Quote:
Fourth - ever heard of satire?! You thought I was serious with the Kenya reference.

Well, you openly mock Jonathan Ive and Britain in all seriousness, so no, I've never heard of satire, particularly when you make no indication thereof.

Quote:
Fifth, I'm on my way to WWDC to waste anymore time with someone who thinks he is king of this insigificant forum sight. Look out for me in the web coverage of WWDC - I will be the one smiling that I demolished the inane words of a small timer.

If Apple announces the purchase of Facebook at WWDC, I'll buy a hat and eat it on camera. It's not like I'm doing any good by staying alive, that's for sure.

post #91 of 92
I have never said Apple would announce at this WWDC that they would purchase Facebook. It's a medium to longterm strategy and would in any case not be done via a WWDC
post #92 of 92
Quote:
I have never said Apple would announce at this WWDC that they would purchase Facebook. It's a medium to longterm strategy and would in any case not be done via a WWDC

Sorry, I just assumed that when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post
Look out for me in… …WWDC… …I demolished the inane words of a small timer.

You were going to, you know, actually demolish some words by… being proven right.

My… mistake, I guess.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs wanted to build 'iCar,' Apple board member says