or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
Apple is set to introduce a new iPhone with a larger screen and an overhauled design that late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs "worked closely on" before he died, according to a new report.

Bloomberg is the latest outlet chiming in with a report that Apple will make drastic changes to its 2012 iPhone. According to people familiar with Apple's plans, the Cupertino, Calif., company has ordered from suppliers screens that are "bigger than the 3.5-inch size" that the iPhone has sported since its debut in 2007.

"Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had worked closely on the redesigned phone before his death in October," the report noted one person as saying. Another source said that Jobs had played a "key role in developing" Apple's next-generation iPhone.

If Apple were to perform a major redesign of the iPhone, it would be the device's first since the iPhone 4 arrived in mid-2010. The previous design, that of the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, was also kept for two years before the current form factor was introduced.

With three mainstream media outlets reporting similar claims in the same week, the likelihood that Apple will expand the screen on its best-selling handset appears high. On Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal said that LG Display, Sharp and the newly-created Japan Display are readying production lines for 4-inch displays bound for Apple's sixth-generation iPhone. Reuters then noted that production of the new screens could begin as soon as next month, ahead of full production of the next-generation iPhone in August.

iPhone 4S


Pundits have suggested that Apple's interest in a larger-screen iPhone comes in response to pressure from ever-increasing screen sizes of competing Android handsets. For instance, Samsung's Galaxy S II, the most popular Android phone according to one recent study, has a 4.8-inch screen. The Galaxy Note, also by Samsung, is a hybrid smartphone and tablet with its 5.3-inch display.

Apple is widely expected to bring a new iPhone to market this fall, roughly one year after the iPhone 4S went on sale. Sources have disagreed, however, on whether the device's launch will come in September or October.

Multiple reports have also suggested that the 2012 iPhone could make the jump to 4G LTE. Apple is expected to make use of new LTE chipsets from Qualcomm with improvements to power consumption over the previous generation.
post #2 of 91

Can't wait to read all those who renegade on their "But 3.5" is perfect" stance as they attempt to grasp with their cognitive dissonance.

post #3 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Can't wait to read all those who renegade on their "But 3.5" is perfect" stance as they attempt to grasp with their cognitive dissonance.

 

Both sizes work. Is there room for improvement? Of course. Nothing is perfect because people have wildly differing psychological and physical metrics. A Smart car is perfect for a 4 ft. tall woman, but not so for a 7 ft. tall man.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post
Can't wait to read all those who renegade on their "But 3.5" is perfect" stance as they attempt to grasp with their cognitive dissonance.

 

Or maybe we'll stick to our convictions because we're not mindless Jobs-sheep.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #5 of 91
Larger iPhone is fine with me, of course I'll need several new cases for the various camera lense adapters I have that use the iPhone 4s size, just as long as its not the size of that gigantic Note... That think reminds me of me of the parody iPad videos on youtube where people answer the phone with an iPad..

I'm also not supposed to a smaller and a larger iPad. There are times I'd like either a smaller one or even a larger one... Just for that, please put a,flash on the iPad like the iPhone... Seems like an idiotic mistake that it's not on the iPad 2 or the new iPad...
post #6 of 91
And I meant LED FLASH for the camera, not adobe flash, for christsake.
post #7 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Powers View Post
And I meant LED FLASH for the camera, not adobe flash, for christsake.

 

Well, yeah. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #8 of 91

This. Again.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #9 of 91

I really hope they don't increase the size of the iPhone. The 3.5" iPhone is the PERFECT SIZE to hold in one hand, and still have your thumb touch all the corners of the screen. 

 

Have you ever tried to use one of those larger Samsung phones? Not only are they impossible to fit into your pocket, but they are completely unwieldy to use because you have to constantly be using two hands to do everything. No one-handed anything.

post #10 of 91
Wasn't the rumor back in October last year that the new iPhone 5 design had to be scrapped at the last minute and that's why we had the iPhone 4S?

Remember the cases that were actually produced for the new, thin but slightly wider form factor (basically fitting a 4" screen on a very slightly stretched iPhone 4 structure)? Remember the mockups? The wedge/teardrop shape?

That's what it'll be. Why would they change it? They won't.

Someone please relink those mockup images again. Think 4th gen iPod touch crossed with iPhone 4.
post #11 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post
The wedge/teardrop shape?
That's what it'll be.

 

Right, okay, are there any Android or Windows Phone 7 phones on the market with a wedge shape?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #12 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Can't wait to read all those who renegade on their "But 3.5" is perfect" stance as they attempt to grasp with their cognitive dissonance.

Pretty much everyone with a brain has said they are open to a larger display providing it doesn't negatively affect usability like in some smartphones.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I really hope they don't increase the size of the iPhone. The 3.5" iPhone is the PERFECT SIZE to hold in one hand, and still have your thumb touch all the corners of the screen. 

Have you ever tried to use one of those larger Samsung phones? Not only are they impossible to fit into your pocket, but they are completely unwieldy to use because you have to constantly be using two hands to do everything. No one-handed anything.

A 4" screen would only add 1/4 th inch to the width.
post #14 of 91

As long as it fits ok in my pocket, a larger sceen would be fine with me. How big could it be and still fit in my pocket ok? Hard to say, I'd honestly have to feel one in my hand before deciding. Even it were a little too big, it'd still probably just be a matter of time until I ungraded to an iphone 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever, whenever the other newer features and changes become compelling enough. I use an iphone4 now, and the Siri thing on the 4s is cool, but not cool enough to make me upgrade when my iphone 4 is still getting it done for me. As with all tech stuff, eventually enough new features and/or positive changes happen that you go ahead and spend the money to upgrade.

post #15 of 91

It seems to me that Apple will use the "Steve worked on this" for the next few years of new products.

In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Reply
post #16 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

A 4" screen would only add 1/4 th inch to the width.

1) Not if they reduce the thickness of the device and the thickness of the bezel of the sides of the display.

2) Not if they retain the same PPI and just elongate the height thereby alteringthe aspect ratio. Whilst alien at first since the UI scrolls up and down in most apps and non-comforming apps could just be centered in the display until adjusted it wouldn't negatively impact the user experience.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 91
There will be some Disapointed folks when the device still has a 3.5 inch device lol
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #18 of 91
Jobs said a smaller iPad wouldn't work because people's fingers aren't that small.
Why, then, is the even smaller display on the iPhone considered adequate?
I'm 2 1/2 years on a 3GS. My next phone will definitely have a larger screen. I'm more than happy to leave Apple for another brand that gives consumers what they want.
post #19 of 91

I don't want the phone to be any wider, as it is the perfect width right now. And I don't want a teardrop shape as I find this difficult to hold, especially as a phone. 

I'm really hoping they remove the bezel and take the screen right to the edges of the device (or as close to them as possible). This would only increase the size a small amount if it is a 4" screen. 

I am content with the 3.5" though. It fits perfectly in my hand. They just need to make it lighter! (Though I do prefer glass over aluminum)

post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarchetta View Post

Can't wait to read all those who renegade on their "But 3.5" is perfect" stance as they attempt to grasp with their cognitive dissonance.

It will be the opposite. As soon as Apple announces a 4" screen, that will be the perfect size. Until the moment before, 3.5 will be the perfect size.
post #21 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Not if they reduce the thickness of the device and the thickness of the bezel of the sides of the display.
2) Not if they retain the same PPI and just elongate the height thereby alteringthe aspect ratio. Whilst alien at first since the UI scrolls up and down in most apps and non-comforming apps could just be centered in the display until adjusted it wouldn't negatively impact the user experience.

 

Reducing the bezel structurally weakens the phone. They'll widen it.

post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Or maybe we'll stick to our convictions because we're not mindless Jobs-sheep.

 

I'm not extremely tech savvy, but it's always interesting reading tech blogs/websites - an outsider couldn't be faulted much for thinking that techies think each other are either always wrong or always right, always completely original, or always sheep. Look on the bright side, if Apple doesn't make a new phone, they'll call you a sheep.  If Apple does make a phone with a new size, you'll be called an idiot.  That's what you get for having an opinion, and one that happens to coincide with a high profile figure. 

 

I personally think raw efficiency is inversely proportional to screen size once you reach approximately where Apple has its phone, now.  (I wouldn't know, but aren't there a few phones about that size with full touch screens?)  Perhaps someone with a lot of spare time could perform some objective tests at some point...speed of answering phone calls, answering emails, opening emails and responding, etc.  Maybe the truth is completely different.  I certainly FEEL more efficient with a smaller phone.  I use an iPhone4, but took advantage of ATT's buyer's remorse period by purchasing (renting) the Samsung Galaxy Note for a week and a half.  I absolutely loved it, but the glaring problem is size...and not just in the obvious ways.  I had absolutely no idea how much it would throw me off to have to do everything two handed, nor did I realize how much this would affect me.  Sure, in the greater scheme of things it's not a big deal, but in terms of raw efficiency there is no comparison.  If I was in Grand Central, I had to hold the freaking thing with two hands even if I wasn't doing much on it because I couldn't grip it as securely...and I didn't want to get bumped by the crowd.  Same thing in a subway listening to music, changing songs, looking at email...walking up and down stairs while checking email (don't hate me, we all do it).  Eventually I moved all my icons to the bottom right corner so my thumb could reach them.  Four icons per page, all at the lower right.  But I still had to hold it with two hands to secure it.  But God I LOVED that phone.  It was a great writers companion.  It's size simply never stopped shouting at me, though.  I'm an avid book reader, and it is almost exactly the same size as a paperback...loved that.

 

Frankly, I wouldn't have this problem (probably) with a 4.3" phone...but maybe I would.  For me, however, the only point in having a "larger" screen was for smoother web browsing...for a "tablet feel," and for the writing/illustrating.  I loved it on the Note.  And I loved the much hated stylus because I write and illustrate and the writing software/hardware was fantastic for jotting quick notes and illustrations/diagrams.  I simply can't do this well on a 4.3" screen.  So I look at the "mid range" sizes and shrug.  I guess it's a preference thing, but I still feel there would be a slight efficiency advantage with a smaller phone (not necessarily smaller screen).  I suppose, however, if my emphasis was less on speed and simplicity of accomplishing tasks, a larger screen is more efficient in terms of an immersing experience. 

 

The other thing I love about the iPhone (and incidentally my old blackberry curve), is how I can forget about it when it's in my pocket.  Putting a 4.3" phone or bigger in my pocket makes me feel like I'm toting  a device (err...because I am), but the iPhone is invisible (without a case...I don't use a case because I'm not one to drop things).  It's tiny.  I forget about it in the exact same way I forget about my wallet in my back pocket. 

 

I'm all for a bigger screen...if they don't have to make the phone much bigger.  But I largely agree with you.  Given there aren't that many "perfect" sizes possible in the phone world, I'm sure there's at least a twenty percent chance of being called an i-Fanboy, and a hundred percent chance of being called a sheep of whatever mobile phone maker makes the size you like.  But I'd be willing to bet a (very small) sum of cash that a screen size under 4" is the most efficient.

post #23 of 91
Bigger screen, 4G LTE, and expanded SIRI; this phone will leave Android/windows/BB in the dust.
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post


It will be the opposite. As soon as Apple announces a 4" screen, that will be the perfect size. Until the moment before, 3.5 will be the perfect size.


In all honesty, have you really met people who think that way?  The majority of consumers I've met (folk who don't spend any time reading blogs or tech websites) know nothing of this "size perfection" idea.  Including the iPhone owners.  I don't think Apple even markets it that way (do they?  I haven't seen that they do, but maybe...?).  Most of the crap I hear about Apple fanaticism is from people who hate Apple.  I interact closely with two people who work in tech and they constantly joke about Apple sheep...yet I have yet to meet an iPhone owner who uses any of Jobs's party lines.  It'd be silly...it'd be like going through the drive through at Burger King and then screaming to everyone about how great it is that you can "have it your way" there.  Even if I met five people who claim it is the perfect size, they're still in the extreme minority...

 

Second, how many arguably perfect sizes are there?  Most would say smaller than 3.5 is not a contender.  Most would say larger than 4.5 is not a contender.  If a half inch is required for a psychological difference, we're dealing here with three potential "ideal sizes."  Statistically speaking, 33% will agree with Jobs, all things being equal.  I realize all things are not equal, but I simply don't see 3.5 being perfect being that contentious an idea.  And like I said earlier, even if 33% would think this, I still have yet to meet someone who brainlessly walks around saying it.  I do, however, know two Apple haters who brainlessly quote, ad nauseum, every cliche anti apple phrase they hear, and not a day goes by without the chanting mockery of "iThis and iThat."  I personally have no investment either way.  I happen to prefer the iPhone, but I don't really care if it is the best or not...it FEELS the best for me. 

 

If your comment is making fun of Apple for their advertising ways...well, every company does that.  To say it is "common" is like telling someone gas stations are common. 

post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Reducing the bezel structurally weakens the phone. They'll widen it.

That can't be determined unless you are implying that material is being removed but no additional support is being added. That's like saying that a thinner anything is weaker because it's not as thick.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
Have you ever tried to use one of those larger Samsung phones? Not only are they impossible to fit into your pocket, but they are completely unwieldy to use because you have to constantly be using two hands to do everything. No one-handed anything.

Do you mind if I ask you how tall you are? What type of jeans do you wear. I am 2 meters or six feet tall. I occaisionaly wear skinny jeans to work. I have no problem fitting my galaxy nexus in my pockets when I where my skinny jeans. I have a friend who is 5 foot even. I had her try my phone in her pocket no problems with it in her front pocket. Besides most people who can't fit a large phone in their pocket because their pants are too tight generally can place their phone in their purse, at that size they are not putting a grown up wallet in there. 

 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/4-inches-to-4.5-inches-is-the-sweet-spot-for-smartphone-screen-size-says-survey_id28080


Edited by Apple v. Samsung - 5/17/12 at 11:35pm
post #27 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

I'm not extremely tech savvy, but it's always interesting reading tech blogs/websites - an outsider couldn't be faulted much for thinking that techies think each other are either always wrong or always right, always completely original, or always sheep. Look on the bright side, if Apple doesn't make a new phone, they'll call you a sheep.  If Apple does make a phone with a new size, you'll be called an idiot.  That's what you get for having an opinion, and one that happens to coincide with a high profile figure. 

I personally think raw efficiency is inversely proportional to screen size once you reach approximately where Apple has its phone, now.  (I wouldn't know, but aren't there a few phones about that size with full touch screens?)  Perhaps someone with a lot of spare time could perform some objective tests at some point...speed of answering phone calls, answering emails, opening emails and responding, etc.  Maybe the truth is completely different.  I certainly FEEL more efficient with a smaller phone.  I use an iPhone4, but took advantage of ATT's buyer's remorse period by purchasing (renting) the Samsung Galaxy Note for a week and a half.  I absolutely loved it, but the glaring problem is size...and not just in the obvious ways.  I had absolutely no idea how much it would throw me off to have to do everything two handed, nor did I realize how much this would affect me.  Sure, in the greater scheme of things it's not a big deal, but in terms of raw efficiency there is no comparison.  If I was in Grand Central, I had to hold the freaking thing with two hands even if I wasn't doing much on it because I couldn't grip it as securely...and I didn't want to get bumped by the crowd.  Same thing in a subway listening to music, changing songs, looking at email...walking up and down stairs while checking email (don't hate me, we all do it).  Eventually I moved all my icons to the bottom right corner so my thumb could reach them.  Four icons per page, all at the lower right.  But I still had to hold it with two hands to secure it.  But God I LOVED that phone.  It was a great writers companion.  It's size simply never stopped shouting at me, though.  I'm an avid book reader, and it is almost exactly the same size as a paperback...loved that.

Frankly, I wouldn't have this problem (probably) with a 4.3" phone...but maybe I would.  For me, however, the only point in having a "larger" screen was for smoother web browsing...for a "tablet feel," and for the writing/illustrating.  I loved it on the Note.  And I loved the much hated stylus because I write and illustrate and the writing software/hardware was fantastic for jotting quick notes and illustrations/diagrams.  I simply can't do this well on a 4.3" screen.  So I look at the "mid range" sizes and shrug.  I guess it's a preference thing, but I still feel there would be a slight efficiency advantage with a smaller phone (not necessarily smaller screen).  I suppose, however, if my emphasis was less on speed and simplicity of accomplishing tasks, a larger screen is more efficient in terms of an immersing experience. 

The other thing I love about the iPhone (and incidentally my old blackberry curve), is how I can forget about it when it's in my pocket.  Putting a 4.3" phone or bigger in my pocket makes me feel like I'm toting  a device (err...because I am), but the iPhone is invisible (without a case...I don't use a case because I'm not one to drop things).  It's tiny.  I forget about it in the exact same way I forget about my wallet in my back pocket. 

I'm all for a bigger screen...if they don't have to make the phone much bigger.  But I largely agree with you.  Given there aren't that many "perfect" sizes possible in the phone world, I'm sure there's at least a twenty percent chance of being called an i-Fanboy, and a hundred percent chance of being called a sheep of whatever mobile phone maker makes the size you like.  But I'd be willing to bet a (very small) sum of cash that a screen size under 4" is the most efficient.


Have seen the FlyGrip. It's a silly gadget thats actually quite usefull.

430
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


In all honesty, have you really met people who think that way?  The majority of consumers I've met (folk who don't spend any time reading blogs or tech websites) know nothing of this "size perfection" idea.  Including the iPhone owners.  I don't think Apple even markets it that way (do they?  I haven't seen that they do, but maybe...?).  Most of the crap I hear about Apple fanaticism is from people who hate Apple.  I interact closely with two people who work in tech and they constantly joke about Apple sheep...yet I have yet to meet an iPhone owner who uses any of Jobs's party lines.  It'd be silly...it'd be like going through the drive through at Burger King and then screaming to everyone about how great it is that you can "have it your way" there.  Even if I met five people who claim it is the perfect size, they're still in the extreme minority...

Second, how many arguably perfect sizes are there?  Most would say smaller than 3.5 is not a contender.  Most would say larger than 4.5 is not a contender.  If a half inch is required for a psychological difference, we're dealing here with three potential "ideal sizes."  Statistically speaking, 33% will agree with Jobs, all things being equal.  I realize all things are not equal, but I simply don't see 3.5 being perfect being that contentious an idea.  And like I said earlier, even if 33% would think this, I still have yet to meet someone who brainlessly walks around saying it.  I do, however, know two Apple haters who brainlessly quote, ad nauseum, every cliche anti apple phrase they hear, and not a day goes by without the chanting mockery of "iThis and iThat."  I personally have no investment either way.  I happen to prefer the iPhone, but I don't really care if it is the best or not...it FEELS the best for me. 

If your comment is making fun of Apple for their advertising ways...well, every company does that.  To say it is "common" is like telling someone gas stations are common. 


I think his comment was geared towards the people who are militant in saying 3.5" is the only size that could possibly be useful. Anything larger then that is silly because people can't fit them into their jeans or something like that. Once Apple actually has a 4" iPhone on the market all will be forgiven and those same people will wonder why Apple didn't make a 4"in the first place.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Not if they reduce the thickness of the device and the thickness of the bezel of the sides of the display.
2) Not if they retain the same PPI and just elongate the height thereby alteringthe aspect ratio. Whilst alien at first since the UI scrolls up and down in most apps and non-comforming apps could just be centered in the display until adjusted it wouldn't negatively impact the user experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

Both sizes work. Is there room for improvement? Of course. Nothing is perfect because people have wildly differing psychological and physical metrics. A Smart car is perfect for a 4 ft. tall woman, but not so for a 7 ft. tall man.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I really hope they don't increase the size of the iPhone. The 3.5" iPhone is the PERFECT SIZE to hold in one hand, and still have your thumb touch all the corners of the screen. 

 

Have you ever tried to use one of those larger Samsung phones? Not only are they impossible to fit into your pocket, but they are completely unwieldy to use because you have to constantly be using two hands to do everything. No one-handed anything.

 

 

I've read some stuff on how changing the aspect ratio slightly wouldn't be a total hurdle for most developers - would provide new real estate for iOS 6 - and wouldn't widen the phone much if at all - AND - so the thumb would have about the same L-R sweep, if not vertical. (Also as noted people have more than one size of hand - a fairly wide range in fact.)

 

And iPhone and iPad apps are already differentiated, so no impact there.  

 

Further, a wider aspect ratio might help revive/refresh (the way long in the tooth) iPod Touch - as better for gaming and media consumption. (You notice how no one almost even talks about the iPT anymore here?  No rumors even.)

 

Another thing no one ever mentions is that at some point Apple might actually (gasp) have a line of two current phones (and keep the last two around as they have been at tongue-whetting prices to get share and ecosystem lock-in).  So why not a  3.5 AND a 4.0-4.2 (taller and if wider, barely)?  But what am I thinking?  What company makes more than one phone model?  

 

NTM Apple still makes FIVE lines of computers (Mini, MBA, MB Pro, iMac and Pro - and all the ones with screens come in multiple screen sizes - 11.6 to 27" with good offerings across the range.)....  ...And Macs account for what, now 14% of Apple's revenue?  So multiple models of their top-selling products certainly comes up in planning meetings......  ...and I remain convinced Apple is not  going to cede the entire screen size range between 3.5 and 9.7" to other companies in the long run.  There's just too many things devices of other sizes might be optimized for....  ...the mobile/cloud age is in its infancy, after all.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #30 of 91
The Galaxy S has a 4" screen, here's it next to the iPhone 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODhXCfcf4c

It has a slightly different aspect ratio but it gives an idea about the relative size. The iPhone's edge would be a lot thinner than the Galaxy S so not much more bulky.

I think a 4" screen would make the text much more legible. You can see at 0:27 in the video above that the Galaxy S text is clear but the iPhone 4 text is blurred. The font choice will play a part but the scale helps a lot.

They might have to sharpen the corner curvature to manage 4" or aim for somewhere between 3.5" and 4".
post #31 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

NTM Apple still makes FIVE lines of computers (Mini, MBA, MB Pro, iMac and Pro - and all the ones with screens come in multiple screen sizes - 11.6 to 27" with good offerings across the range.)....  ...And Macs account for what, now 14% of Apple's revenue?  So multiple models of their top-selling products certainly comes up in planning meetings......  ...and I remain convinced Apple is not  going to cede the entire screen size range between 3.5 and 9.7" to other companies in the long run.  There's just too many things devices of other sizes might be optimized for....  ...the mobile/cloud age is in its infancy, after all.

You can't compare Macs to iOS-based iDevices because the logistics are completely different. You can hook any size monitor up to a Mac. Apple starts at 11" and while that gets quite small and many pro apps simply aren't designed with that mine for general use it works out and there are certainly advantages for the small size device. Or you can go to 100" HD projector if you wish, not using an Apple display at all. You can use any aspect ratio that suits your needs.

You simply don't have all those options with a non-windowed OS without a direct and severe hit to the user experience. For those reasons I think the most likely avenue for Apple to increase the display size to keep the PPI the same and increase the resolution on one or more axis. This allows for any current iPhone content to be displayed on a larger iPhone exactly, pixel-for-pixel, the same size today as it will tomorrow. Devs will still get a new SDK and updated apps will be the better for it, just like with the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 transition.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/18/12 at 12:32am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 91

It's not about the size of the screen, it's about the user experience and how "seamless" the device is to use.

 

I trust Apple on this matter. They have a long history of putting experience first, and I see no reason why they would change that under Tim Cook.

 

If anything. Apple has a huge advantage over android because big android phones are ho-hum affairs and bordering on ridiculous with the Galaxy Note. A 4" iPhone on the other hand will be the 2nd coming due to Apple's timing of the release.

post #33 of 91

Steve worked on it! Apple's last innovative product?

post #34 of 91

I wouldn't be surprised if Gil Amelio came back to claim he worked on it...

post #35 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I really hope they don't increase the size of the iPhone. The 3.5" iPhone is the PERFECT SIZE to hold in one hand, and still have your thumb touch all the corners of the screen. 

 

Have you ever tried to use one of those larger Samsung phones? Not only are they impossible to fit into your pocket, but they are completely unwieldy to use because you have to constantly be using two hands to do everything. No one-handed anything.

I've spent the past three weeks in Korea and China and over 70% of the smartphones I see have 4"-and-up screens - especially in Seoul where Samsung dominates with the Galaxy, Nexus, and Note. Looking at all the people using their smartphones in crowded subway trains, they don't seem bothered at all holding or using the big screen phones. They (including women with small hands) seem to get around fine using them with just one hand. How often is it that you have to have the thumb reach each corner of the screen? In those cases one just needs to use the other hand.

 

The benefits of the larger screen seems to outweigh the need to cover it with the reach of a thumb - especially for people who use it for several hours per day to browse websites, read books and magazines, watch videos, and write emails or messages that are longer than a few sentences, etc. I'm happy with the 3.5" screen as I live in LA and use it primarily as a communications device. But if I lived in Seoul (which I could easily do and may consider doing for a new job opportunity) and had to commute by subway and walk around for as much as 3~4 hours per day, I'd definitely want a screen in the 4.5" range and perhaps an 8" tablet as well.

 

The great majority of the people in this world do not drive their own cars to commute. And these are the people that Apple is trying to reach to continue growth in emerging markets. A lot of these people don't even have PCs although they'd use them at work. The smartphone and perhaps the tablet may be the only device(s) they'll use to access the Internet for their own personal use outside of the office. Even if they have a PC at home, they'd rather use these mobile devices for all of their communications and information retrieval purposes.

 

The mobility factor in cities like Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, etc. is way greater than virtually anywhere in America. The population density of Seoul is 8 times that of New York. The people here are constantly on the move on foot and in public transport. It's as though a lot of the people here only go home to sleep. You rarely even see laptop computers anywhere anymore. Everyone is glued to the phone or an occasional tablet and, over here, you see a lot more 7~8" tablets than you'd see in the US. Apple has to pay attention to the form factors that suit people in different environments. It won't be long before 80% of Apple's revenue and profits come from outside of the US.

post #36 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

Both sizes work. Is there room for improvement? Of course. Nothing is perfect because people have wildly differing psychological and physical metrics. A Smart car is perfect for a 4 ft. tall woman, but not so for a 7 ft. tall man.

Actually a Smart car works well for tall people. I can't say specifically for a 7 footer but I know someone who is 6'3" who drives one and loves it. The driver seat is just pushed back far enough.

 

I think the same applies to a 4" iphone. If done right it could fit everyone's needs well enough.

post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Jobs said a smaller iPad wouldn't work because people's fingers aren't that small.
Why, then, is the even smaller display on the iPhone considered adequate?

Jobs was saying the iPad UI doesn't work on a smaller device. The iPhone, although smaller, has a different UI designed for smaller devices.

post #38 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

Actually a Smart car works well for tall people. I can't say specifically for a 7 footer but I know someone who is 6'3" who drives one and loves it. The driver seat is just pushed back far enough.

I think the same applies to a 4" iphone. If done right it could fit everyone's needs well enough.

Oh I hated my Smart, granted it's been over 12 years since I drove one but what I remember they were terifying little cars to drive on the highway and the drive is very rough. One of the worst things to come out of my country.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #39 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

A 4" screen would only add 1/4 th inch to the width.

Considerably less than that if they reduce the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Reducing the bezel structurally weakens the phone. They'll widen it.

Based on what? We're talking about the non-functional black band around the edge of the screen. How would it weaken the phone to make the screen cover more of the glass area????

Furthermore, what in the world makes you think that they'll WIDEN the bezel? That's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Have seen the FlyGrip. It's a silly gadget thats actually quite usefull.
430

ROTFLMAO. So the Apple haters make fun of the fact that Apple proposed a bumper which adds a tiny 1/8" or so to the width of the phone and argued that it was silly and clunky, but we're supposed to use that monstrosity? Sorry, I'll take a phone that's easy to use from the start rather than a phone that requires a separate handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I've read some stuff on how changing the aspect ratio slightly wouldn't be a total hurdle for most developers - would provide new real estate for iOS 6 - and wouldn't widen the phone much if at all - AND - so the thumb would have about the same L-R sweep, if not vertical. (Also as noted people have more than one size of hand - a fairly wide range in fact.)

And iPhone and iPad apps are already differentiated, so no impact there.  

It's not going to happen. I just don't see Apple releasing a slightly different aspect ratio. Too much like Android's fragmentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Jobs was saying the iPad UI doesn't work on a smaller device. The iPhone, although smaller, has a different UI designed for smaller devices.

This is no more true than the last 100 times it was claimed. Apple has a single iOS UI - as spelled out in the iOS guidelines. The UI for the iPhone and iPad is the same - according to Apple's guidelines.

There are a very small number of areas where there are differentiating factors, but they are insignificant in terms of the UI.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #40 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... This is no more true than the last 100 times it was claimed. Apple has a single iOS UI - as spelled out in the iOS guidelines. The UI for the iPhone and iPad is the same - according to Apple's guidelines.
There are a very small number of areas where there are differentiating factors, but they are insignificant in terms of the UI.

 

So, now there are "differentiating factors" but it's still the same? I guess that's progress in your thinking, at least. But, the HIG document doesn't support your argument, so you should probably stop referencing it.

 

However, as far as a size change goes, reducing the bezel width causes at lest two problems: 1. More accidental taps. 2. If the bezel becomes too small, as on some Android phones, it can become difficult to position the cursor all the way at the edge of the screen in a text field because it's difficult to actually get your fingertip in the right position without it going off the phone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on