or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on

2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on - Page 2

post #41 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Jobs said a smaller iPad wouldn't work because people's fingers aren't that small.
Why, then, is the even smaller display on the iPhone considered adequate?
I'm 2 1/2 years on a 3GS. My next phone will definitely have a larger screen. I'm more than happy to leave Apple for another brand that gives consumers what they want.

Good luck should you choose a competitor's device.  Whether you realize the truth or not, Apple is giving customers what they want:

1.  The top three selling phones in the United States are all designed by Apple in California.

2.  Apple iPhones have the highest customer retention rate at 89% versus the competition, next nearest hardware is HTC at 39%.

3.  Apple has the best customer service in every market in which they compete.

4.  Apple iPhone even during "Antennagate" had a 2% return rate while the competition has mobile device return rates as high as 16%.

5.  Apple provides the best ecosystem with iTunes with nearly 70% market share in digital music downloads and digital movie downloads as well as free, perpetual storage of all previously purchased media available for downloading again on demand.

6.  Apple provides the best "cloud" solution with cross platform compatibility for calendars, contacts, email, "find my device" with notes and reminders available soon too.  Furthermore, the 5 GB of free storage allows users to synch documents and data (apps) across devices and backup devices as well as temporarily storing and synching digital photos to the cloud (up to 1000 photos and doesn't subtract from the 5 GB).

7.  Apple has the best software for mobile devices, clearly demonstrated by the fact that competitors need 150% of the process clock speed and 200% of the RAM of the iPhone 4S to simply match the performance.

Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/18/12 at 6:21am
post #42 of 91

It is very un-Jobs to switch to larger size. If anyone looks the the Apple product history, Jobs always goes small or nothing whenever he can. For him a device has to be functional as well as ease of use. Of course, there is no one to stop Cooks and Co. to go with larger iphone, only if there are poor sales number that can stop this. I think Samsung's variety of smartphones are forcing them to test the water.

post #43 of 91

Stop. You had me at "Apple is giving customers what they want".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Good luck should you choose a competitor's device.  Whether you realize the truth or not, Apple is giving customers what they want:

1.  The top three selling phones in the United States are all designed by Apple in California.

2.  Apple iPhones have the highest customer retention rate at 89% versus the competition, next nearest hardware is HTC at 39%.

4.  Apple iPhone even during "Antennagate" had a 2% return rate while the competition has mobile device return rates as high as 16%.

5.  Apple provides the best ecosystem with iTunes with nearly 70% market share in digital music downloads and digital movie downloads as well as free, perpetual storage of all previously purchased media available for downloading again on demand.

6.  Apple provides the best "cloud" solution with cross platform compatibility for calendars, contacts, email, "find my device" with notes and reminders available soon too.  Furthermore, the 5 GB of free storage allows users to synch documents and data (apps) across devices and backup devices as well as temporarily storing and synching digital photos to the cloud (up to 1000 photos and doesn't subtract from the 5 GB).

7.  Apple has the best software for mobile devices, clearly demonstrated by the fact that competitors need 150% of the process clock speed and 200% of the RAM of the iPhone 4S to simply match the performance.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I am 2 meters or six feet tall.

One of these is incorrect.  6ft != 2 metres.

censored

censored

post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Stop. You had me at "Apple is giving customers what they want".
You're taking a superficial view here. No one is claiming is Apple is creating a different display size, aspect ratio, etc. to appeal to every possible use case, but Apple is giving customers the or thing that others continually fail to offer, a great user experience.

When did Android get a HW accelerated UI? Why does it sill feel more sluggish even with faster HW? Why does the battery not last as long a Apple's devices without an extended battery pack? What about the multitude of elements that aren't easily quantified but have made the iPhone, iPad, an iPod Touch the number one choice in smartphone, tablet and PMP?

Bottom line: if Apple wasn't giving customers what they wanted they wouldn't be repeat customers.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

It is very un-Jobs to switch to larger size. If anyone looks the the Apple product history, Jobs always goes small or nothing whenever he can. For him a device has to be functional as well as ease of use. Of course, there is no one to stop Cooks and Co. to go with larger iphone, only if there are poor sales number that can stop this. I think Samsung's variety of smartphones are forcing them to test the water.

They are talking about larger screen, not larger phone. And of course Jobs/Apple have evolved products to larger screens before.

As for overall size, the new iPad is slightly larger than iPad2.

post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

One of these is incorrect.  6ft != 2 metres.

Pretty obvious he is 6 ft tall and not 2 m.

post #48 of 91

Let's just hope Apple remembers their market now extends beyond the borders of the USA when selecting their 4G chipsets...

I really don't want to see the next iPhone slowly limp off the starting line if it becomes the second Apple product to promise more than it can deliver (I'm looking at you, iPad 3). Why would anyone splurge for the iPhone 5 if it's no better than the iPhone 4S in their market?

post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're taking a superficial view here. No one is claiming is Apple is creating a different display size, aspect ratio, etc. to appeal to every possible use case, but Apple is giving customers the or thing that others continually fail to offer, a great user experience.
When did Android get a HW accelerated UI? Why does it sill feel more sluggish even with faster HW? Why does the battery not last as long a Apple's devices without an extended battery pack? What about the multitude of elements that aren't easily quantified but have made the iPhone, iPad, an iPod Touch the number one choice in smartphone, tablet and PMP?
Bottom line: if Apple wasn't giving customers what they wanted they wouldn't be repeat customers.

If this is true, I'm betting Apple will have a functional rationale - i.e. it won't be just about making a larger screen to join the crowd. They will explain how this can benefit users from a functional perspective.

post #50 of 91

Generally I am used to just rounding up. Rather then saying 1.83 or 183 cm. Many people when it comes to height just say foot is equal to 2 meters. And depending if I have a large afro then I am 2m. 

post #51 of 91

Apple doesn't give people what they want.  Apple tells people what they want.

post #52 of 91
Quote:

And this would likely remain true if Apple tweaked the screen size. Or invented a new battery that lasted twice as long. Or changed the display technology. Or added iOS functions.

I predict the 4"+ size will be more popular than the 3.5" by a wide margin. People are aging. Size does matter. These things are more like computers and we need to be able to read the text and interact with Apps and type on the keys. There will be a sweet spot as far as overall size and maintaining its mobility characteristics. A nice balance between size, weight, thinness, functionality, etc.

post #53 of 91

Hmmm... Maybe I should use a sarcasm symbol?

I was simply complementing his left brain analysis (details, justifications, numbers, etc.) with the right brain impact of the phone, the "I-can't-believe-this-is-what-a -well-done-piece-of-technology-should-be". Granted, the cheeky reference to Jerry McGuire is showing my age.

In other words, it was my way of agreeing without explicitly saying so.

Quote:

post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

Or, more accurately, Apple sees what people want before the people even know it.

If people didn't want Apple products, they would buy something else. It's that simple.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #55 of 91

People don't know what they want until you show it to them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #56 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

It seems to me that Apple will use the "Steve worked on this" for the next few years of new products.

"Boy, they really dropped the ball on this late 2017 iPad, who designed this thing"
"Uh, Steve worked on that?"

post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I want a 100 Milion Dollars, never seen it but I know I want it. Heeheh
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #58 of 91
Quote:

Or maybe we'll stick to our convictions because we're not mindless Jobs-sheep.

Incredible. You just utterly proved his point about cognitive dissonance. You've repeated, ad nauseum, how a slightly larger screen would obviously and naturally mean the company is 'self-imploding', in a 'down-ward spiral', the 'beginning of the end', and other such sensationally hilarious drivel. The insinuation being that this would not have happened on Jobs watch. Now that it comes out that Jobs approved a design with a larger screen, which would have shipped even if he was still with Apple, it contradicts that entire premise, unless you want us to believe that Jobs is responsible for Apple's 'downward spiral.

So instead of aknowledging that maybe your entire argument was flawed and is based on nothing but extreme closed-mindedness and rigid ideology, you twist it into some kind of 'virtue', that you have 'conviction', and in the same statement bash anyone has has the sense to have an open-mind about something that Steve Jobs would want, something that most reasonable people would agree is rational, as I think the guy by now deserves SOME benefit of the doubt, no? That statement is just as bad, if not worse than what an anti-apple troll would spout, how natural and fitting that you would stoop down to the 'sheep' attack line when that's all you have left to defend your flimsy sensationalism. I like how you pretend you're some kind of independant thinker, when in reality its the exact opposite, and you're simply unable to accept anything thats even slightly different than whats available. So, naturally people who give something a chance because it comes from Steve Jobs are sheep, because it's not like he deserves a smidgeon of trust when it comes to launching new products, right? We're better off listening to the inane rantings of someone like you? Is it that far fetched that if SJ tested and believed in a larger screen, that IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A GOOD PRODUCT? No, of course not, because you have your 'convictions', and one of your convictions was that this decision was the result of a post-Jobs Apple, which just got blown out of the water, so you scramble to troll hard and completely change your argument in some desperate attempt at saving face. But like everything else, it always tends to make you look worse, because you've shown on these boards that you'd do and say instead of  admitting you're wrong, in the face of overwhelming evidence. Believe it or not, this is not called 'conviction', but something much worse. 

Edited by Slurpy - 5/18/12 at 10:24am
post #59 of 91

If Jobs worked on it, he will have found a satisfactory way to resolve the issue of holding a 4" screen device in one hand- it will be slim enough so your hand can wrap around and comfortably hold it.

My prediction is they will keep the same screen aspect ratio and increase the size of the screen to 4", thereby decreasing the "retina qualities" of the screen a bit to retain the same resolution. This is fair trade off for me to increase the screen size.

Looking forward to the upgrade.

post #60 of 91
Quote:

Or maybe we'll stick to our convictions because we're not mindless Jobs-sheep.

Where?
Who?
post #61 of 91
Quote:

An inferior race,
just like Loki says.
post #62 of 91

Other companies have released larger screens without any rationalization than merely - here is a phone with a larger screen, as if that speaks for itself.

That's not Apple's history. They won't change the screen size without explaining the functional advantages. For sure, they ain't gonna say, "we made the screen slightly larger to catch up with others but our phone is still smaller." They will have a convincing selling point (valid or not). I'm looking forward to that pitch more than the larger screen itself.

Gruber has speculated that the screen growth may be in length - i.e. they won't keep the resolution and simply decrease PPI.  Instead, PPI will remain the same and there will be more pixels lengthwise. Current apps (and all those that need to be backward compatible with current and past iPhones) will continue to occupy the 960 x 640 real estate while some new apps, not to mention videos, can take advantage of the increase in screen size.

If he is right, that can prove interesting (or confusing).

post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonerYoda View Post

+1
I want Flash on my phone. I want external storage. I want a cheap removable battery. Thanks Samsung.
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

+1
I want Flash on my phone. I want external storage. I want a cheap removable battery. Thanks Samsung.

Interesting.

I have Adobe Flash and a camera flash on my iPhone.  I have external storage on my iPhone.  I have a removable battery for my iPhone.

Unfortunately, Samsung also has the following:

Low customer satisfaction

Poor customer retention rates.

Inconsistent design and poor manufacturing controls resulting in product return rates as high as 16%.

Incomplete digital media storage solution

No cloud services 

High latency user interface

Bloatware

No major software upgrades

post #65 of 91
Quote:

Jobs said a smaller iPad wouldn't work because people's fingers aren't that small.
I'm 2 1/2 years on a 3GS. My next phone will definitely have a larger screen. I'm more than happy to leave Apple for another brand that gives consumers what they want.

If you crammed the iPad's UI into a 3.5" display would you not think that would affect the usability as all the elements would shrink? Can't see it? Imagine putting the iPad's UI on an iPod Nano's display. Now can you see how reducing the size of the display without adjusting the UI to maintain a level of usability that our fingers require?

post #66 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Do you mind if I ask you how tall you are? What type of jeans do you wear. I am 2 meters or six feet tall. I occaisionaly wear skinny jeans to work. I have no problem fitting my galaxy nexus in my pockets when I where my skinny jeans. I have a friend who is 5 foot even. I had her try my phone in her pocket no problems with it in her front pocket. Besides most people who can't fit a large phone in their pocket because their pants are too tight generally can place their phone in their purse, at that size they are not putting a grown up wallet in there. 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/4-inches-to-4.5-inches-is-the-sweet-spot-for-smartphone-screen-size-says-survey_id28080

If you have to try it out with your wardrobe before you buy it, then it IS TO BIG! How friggin stupid is that I'd have to wear my "skinny jeans" to a phone store to make sure the damn thing fit in my pocket?

"Is that a Galaxy Nexus in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"?
post #67 of 91

If outlets like the Journal and Bloomberg are starting to report on actual inventory orders from suppliers, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to an iPhone with a four inch screen in the Fall.  Not that the Journal and Bloomberg haven't made mistakes before, but this isn't some rumor originating from an obscure Chinese blog.  

I'm looking forward to it, and am completely confident in Apple's ability to pull it off brilliantly.  They might put the emphasis on pixel density changes to avoid some of the qualms about aspect ratio and app development, or do something completely different on the technical end, but I'm keeping the faith either way.

And, as far as I'm concerned, Jony bleeds the same blood as Steve.  If a phone with a four inch screen comes out of his lab, it will look and feel incredible.  

Apple doesn't care about the obsessive, socially awkward techies who populate these boards - this will be a great product that the overwhelming majority of people will gladly open up their wallets for. 

Edited by alex1 - 5/19/12 at 2:41pm
post #68 of 91
Quote:

You'll likely never read this since I'm late... but... So, you speak for all consumers? No one would ever complain about a bigger iPhone screen, but obviously consumers are content with the current size since the 4S is/was a hot seller. If consumers were so upset about it they'd all buy Samsung or HTC. Speak for yourself not everyone, you would leave Apple, well I seriously doubt Tim Cook and team will miss you. Most Apple buyers are loyal to the brand, it's not all about the screen-size it's about the OS, features, apps and quality design and production. I personally (I don't speak for all consumers like you - voice of the people) would like very much a 4" or 4+" screen, but I'll still buy an iP5 if still the same size cuz to ME Android phones can't match what the iPhone offers. If all it takes is an extra 1/4 inch to make you get Android - good riddance.

post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post

Apple doesn't care about the obsessive, socially awkward techies who populate these boards - this will be a great product that the overwhelming majority of people will gladly open up their wallets for. 

We ARE this 'overwhelming majority'. We are what comprises Apple. All of us here, plus the extras. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post
No one would ever complain about a bigger iPhone screen…

I would. And do. Moderately loudly, I might add.

post #70 of 91
Quote:

*door narrowly misses ass*
post #71 of 91
Quote:

We ARE this 'overwhelming majority'. We are what comprises Apple. All of us here, plus the extras. 

I would. And do. Moderately loudly, I might add.

You are obviously just an idiot cuz my grandma is always bitchin and moanin about how she wishes her iPhone was bigger and how her iMac isn't matte.
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

+1

Is Flash truly working on other platforms? Is Adobe supporting it in the future?

Quote:

Interesting.

I have Adobe Flash and a camera flash on my iPhone.  I have external storage on my iPhone.  I have a removable battery for my iPhone.

Unfortunately, Samsung also has the following:

Low customer satisfaction

Poor customer retention rates.

Inconsistent design and poor manufacturing controls resulting in product return rates as high as 16%.

Incomplete digital media storage solution

No cloud services 

High latency user interface

Bloatware

No major software upgrades

As high as 16%/ Returns rate is either 16% or it isn't.

There are indeed cloud services available.

What exactly is the customer satisfaction rate, customer retention rate?

You're both biased and citing 3rd party reports to support your own preferences.

post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is no more true than the last 100 times it was claimed. Apple has a single iOS UI - as spelled out in the iOS guidelines. The UI for the iPhone and iPad is the same - according to Apple's guidelines.
There are a very small number of areas where there are differentiating factors, but they are insignificant in terms of the UI.

Really?

"Ensure that Universal Apps Run Well on Both iPhone and iPad

If you’re planning to develop an app that runs on iPhone and iPad, you need to adapt your design to each device. Here is some guidance to help you do this:

Mold the UI of each app version to the device it runs on. Most individual UI elements are available on both devices, but overall the layout differs dramatically."

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/AppDesign/AppDesign.html

Even individual UI elements differ

Status Bar:  Different

Tool Bar: Different

Popover: iPad only

Split View: iPad only

Action Sheet: Different (Popover on iPad)

Search for the terms: "On iPhone" and "On iPad" and you see different guidelines for developers even on many of the common UI elements (Modal View, Tab Bar, etc)

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/UIElementGuidelines/UIElementGuidelines.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH13-SW1

Again, in the HIG overview, search for the terms "On the iPad" for iPad specific HIG recommendations.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/UEBestPractices/UEBestPractices.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH20-SW1

While most of the basic UI widgets are largely the same the addition of the Split View and Popover greatly (even dramatically) impact the UI and interaction flow between iPad vs iPhone versions of the same app.

The last 100 times you were wrong.  You're still wrong.  The two devices have specific user interaction expectations, design guidelines and layouts.  The layout differences are, as Apple states itself, dramatic and Apple instructs app devs to design (mold) specifically for each device.

post #74 of 91

A 4" iPhone might be great but unless it is EITHER less than retina resolution OR at 1280x1920 it's going to have (relatively speaking) very few apps on day 1.  I suppose it COULD run "classic" apps in a box like the iPad did but while that was acceptable for the iPad it's not so much for a device only a little bit bigger.

If announced at WWDC and launched in October that's not many months for devs to get all new layouts, assets, etc in order, tested and then approved for launch.  You're looking at a much reduced app library or one where a lot of apps may look like ass.

If Apple is buying a lot of 4" panels I'm going to guess new 4.7" iPod Touch at less than retina density (retaining the current 640x960 rez) and not for the next iPhone.

post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

As high as 16%/ Returns rate is either 16% or it isn't.

There are indeed cloud services available.

What exactly is the customer satisfaction rate, customer retention rate?

You're both biased and citing 3rd party reports to support your own preferences.

I originally wrote "product return rates."  Were you well informed you would know I was referring to a specific product which has a return rate of 16% which was published in the results of a study performed by a third party.  Most companies don't publish their product return rates; therefore, limited data is available but important since comparing a company which had a return rate of 2% for a product which supposedly had a major issue versus a product from another company which didn't have well known significant issues but had a 16% return rate.

You claim "cloud services" are available.  Can you support your claim aside from S Cloud which is simply rebranded mSpot?  mSpot only provides limited cloud storage of previously purchased music.  S Cloud doesn't provide comparable cloud services such as calendar, contacts, email, data & document synchronization, device backup, find my phone, notes, reminders as well as unlimited, free, permanent cloud storage and access to digital media content purchased from said vendor's digital media store.

If you can't discern the definition of customer satisfaction or customer retention you probably have no place commenting.  You are challenging well defined terms simply as a red herring.

You claim I am biased but provide no evidence to support your conclusion.  Furthermore, I am an anonymous commenter on a public forum and I do not have an obligation explicit or implied to provide a balanced viewpoint.  If you have an opinion you would like to argue and support then you are welcome to do so.

While I didn't cite any sources I certainly could.  I generally use objective evidence to support my conclusions.  Can you say the same?  Can you cite sources providing evidence that Apple iPhone doesn't have the "best customer service," "highest customer satisfaction" or "highest customer retention rates?"  I suspect not since you attempt to distract from the discussion at hand.

Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/20/12 at 2:22pm
post #76 of 91

What do you think the chances are Apple will start using Gorilla glass again instead of the unprotected glass they're currently using. My daughter has already gone threw 3 repair to replace the glass in hers.

Edited by Relic - 5/20/12 at 4:31pm
post #77 of 91
Why can't obvious trolling and fabrications, like Relic's asinine cry for negative attention above, get a poster banned? They never add a single fraking thing to any conversation.

post #78 of 91
Quote:

You can't compare Macs to iOS-based iDevices because the logistics are completely different. You can hook any size monitor up to a Mac. Apple starts at 11" and while that gets quite small and many pro apps simply aren't designed with that mine for general use it works out and there are certainly advantages for the small size device. Or you can go to 100" HD projector if you wish, not using an Apple display at all. You can use any aspect ratio that suits your needs.
You simply don't have all those options with a non-windowed OS without a direct and severe hit to the user experience. For those reasons I think the most likely avenue for Apple to increase the display size to keep the PPI the same and increase the resolution on one or more axis. This allows for any current iPhone content to be displayed on a larger iPhone exactly, pixel-for-pixel, the same size today as it will tomorrow. Devs will still get a new SDK and updated apps will be the better for it, just like with the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 transition.

FTR I wasn't comparing devices as much as markets.  I believe the cell market's roughly a billion units per year - and the new tab market is roughly a tenth that (with likely half or more of those Wi-Fi devices).  Apple's disrupted and transformed the former one device at a time - by revealing that what were being thought of as smart phones were really pretty dumb, and they've jump started and validated the latter - again by showing no one else had grabbed the metaphor for what a useful/user friendly tablet could be.  

But now that everyone and their cousin in the industry is focused on mobile computing - and now that consumers begin to see all the possibilities, going forward I don't expect Apple to try and fill every niche use with a plethora of specialty mobile products, but I do think it will take more than one "phone factor" device and one "tablet factor" offering to cover even the mass markets and leading edges of where the mass markets will be going as the tech and engineering drive relentlessly forward. 

My signature example for a future not-so-sy fy iDevice is a 20"+ flexible sheet that rolls up into a cylinder - with application for consumers (reading the paper on a commute, collaborative gaming on the device or across the net, a portable multi-person HD movie experience anywhere, anytime, etc., etc.), for business - instant design and markup collaboration, presentations and conferences anywhere, blueprints on the 80th story - with the ability to change 'em on the construction site, again, etc. ad infinitum), and for the military (obvious applications all over the field). 

Meanwhile, Apple's got this Other Line that no one talks about much anymore - the iPod (since anyone with a smart phone or iPad already has their music on their phone or pad - which is very successful in gaming, but kind of superfluous strategically at the moment.  This is one place one could see some tweener sizes for dedicated devices that don't need phone service or which can rely on Skype type services.  

Apple (along with Android and some interesting work at Nokia) has already knocked a good amount of the stuffing out of point and shoot cameras with only what they can cram into an iPhone (along with the phone and computer). 

I think a 4-5" iPod class device optimized for photography (real zoom, better optics (even if the optical path has to turn and do other tricks to keep a thin device that's also a good reader/gamer/semi-pocketable) and useable amounts of flash or video light, e.g.) - and still a potent (more potent) game device - and able to run all those other apps, and be useful with video and book content - and if marketed liked a tablet class device with, say, LTE as an option (but not called an iPad) - could grab another nice chunk from all the camera makers - and further blunt any market share progress by Android or MS.  And no one's really done this yet.  I.e., could be 10M+/yr device market between say $299 and $499.

The cam makers are starting to add Wi-Fi and other iDevice features - but a Coolpix that can transmit pics/vids on a home network or even post them to say, facebook or YouTube, is not an iPhone or an iPad.  It's a camera with a few extra tricks - and couldn't hold a candle to an Apple device, even if marginally better as a shooter.  And again, that's just an existing market.  There are more brand new ones to come.  As Apple has proven repeatedly with the three devices discussed here. 

Also, as iOS and its processor families develop (tho' tech-knowledge-wise I realize I'm just talking out of my butt here), more of the screen management chores could (as I think I kind of understand) be abstracted into to the OS - making more screen sizes and even aspect ratios far less painful for developers.  Or maybe not. 

But my point is that while you're right about the current market - where brilliant engineering has won amazing share with only one new basic phone and tablet model per year (or less!) - both of which have turned out to have totally hit the sweet spot for compromise between all the mainstream uses to date as highly adaptable general use devices - we haven't seen every class, size and form factor with enough market potential for Apple to target in this new world yet. 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #79 of 91
Quote:

Why can't obvious trolling and fabrications, like Relic's asinine cry for negative attention above, get a poster banned? They never add a single fraking thing to any conversation.

Why is what I said fabricated or untrue, does the current iPhone 4 use Gorilla Glass, no, is the phone's screen easy to crack, yes. Especially in the hands of a teenager, it's getting expensive replacing the damn glass. Most of you probably treat your devices very well, most active children do not. My sons Nokia Lumia fell out have his pocket while he was climbing on a jungle gym about 12 feet in the air, the thing hit a rock bounced off with just a scratch on the side. My daughters iPhone drops less then 3 feet onto concrete and the screen gets cracked. The phone still works but non the less we had to replace the screen, three times this has happened. There are countless videos on youtube, forum posts and news reports about the screen.

All I'm asking is will the next iPhone have Gorilla glass as I would like to replace my daughters with it, she needs something tougher.

I'm also getting tired of you calling me a troll, the only time I mention Android is in response to a post about Android. Besides, if you have noticed my posting has been almost none existent lately as I'm not even lucid half the time. Just wait it out, I won't be around here much longer.

Drop Test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO4pDZtbbVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=elKxgsrJFhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j72MNAdHzMA

Edited by Relic - 5/20/12 at 6:46pm
post #80 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why is what I said fabricated or untrue, does the current iPhone 4 use Gorilla Glass, no, .

Yes.  Apple got Corning to start making Gorilla Glass as a commercial product in the first place.  I'd point you to the hundreds of articles describing how Jobs got Corning to revive a dead product just for the iPhone but that would be pointless.  Corning has been making iPhone glass since day one and continues to this day.

And you're a troll spreading FUD because even someone half lucid won't be this assertive about a topic that can be easily solved by googling "Gorilla Glass iPhone".

Especially someone half lucid because they might be inclined to think "well, maybe I'm wrong about that gorilla glass thing...I should google it".

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 2012 iPhone to feature larger-display design that Steve Jobs worked on