or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television could double US household spending on Apple products

Apple television could double US household spending on Apple products - Page 2

post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Because Apple already sells a $99 device that makes little profit. They want the "value added" on a TV set -- not compete with razor thin margins on a flat panel.

The Apple TV will have best of class quality, and it will accomplish things that a lot of technology challenged home users are going to think Apple invented -- because they've never been able to do them before. A lot of critics say that Apple fanboiys think Apple invented everything -- when that's really the case with NEW USERS. Sure, those Android phones could do X, Y and Z if you turned the right screw -- but the CONSUMERS don't know that until it's accessible.

Apple is creating the Full Widget because they they can control the experience and charge higher margins. What else is new?

The gen2 aTV had a BOM estimate of $64.  While margins are thinner than Apple's very high average but we're nowhere near in Fire territory.

I have no idea what folks think an Apple branded HDTV can do that the aTV + any other HDTV can't.

post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

In that case he has have purchased a universal remote that fitted his purposes.  The Logitech one I have is simple, there isn't a lot of buttons, and in the majority of the time you use the same button to perform the same function when controlling different devices.

I understand what you're saying. And it is true that the device fits his purposes, as best it can. It's just not a very intuitive process that one has to go through to get from here to there. This is true of most of the universal remotes that I have seen, where more than two or three devices are inter-connected. Here is a blurb from a recent CNET story that includes a feature that is closer to what I (and I suspect many others) would like to see:

"Apple is reportedly talking to manufacturers about using a new "control out" application programming interface that allows accessories to work with the new Apple TV operating system and television. The idea is to allow users to control any component with an Apple remote."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57443556-37/new-apple-tv-os-to-debut-at-wwdc-report-says/

Maybe this is not the magic bullet that some expect of the rumored Apple TV, but (IMO) this feature at least gets us closer to a more optimal state.

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post

I understand what you're saying. And it is true that the device fits his purposes, as best it can. It's just not a very intuitive process that one has to go through to get from here to there. This is true of most of the universal remotes that I have seen, where more than two or three devices are inter-connected. Here is a blurb from a recent CNET story that includes a feature that is closer to what I (and I suspect many others) would like to see:

"Apple is reportedly talking to manufacturers about using a new "control out" application programming interface that allows accessories to work with the new Apple TV operating system and television. The idea is to allow users to control any component with an Apple remote."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57443556-37/new-apple-tv-os-to-debut-at-wwdc-report-says/

Maybe this is not the magic bullet that some expect of the rumored Apple TV, but (IMO) this feature at least gets us closer to a more optimal state.

Given that Moto builds a lot of cable boxes I'm sure Google will jump right on that idea...and Cicso I'm sure will follow suit as well.

The worst part of the remote fiasco is typically the damn cable box.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television could double US household spending on Apple products