or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Microsoft to launch Office for Apple's iOS in November

Rumor: Microsoft to launch Office for Apple's iOS in November

post #1 of 79
Microsoft Office, the industry leading productivity suite, will be coming to Apple's iPad, as well as Android-based tablets, this November, a new rumor claims.

Citing a "reliable source," Boy Genius Report said on Wednesday that Microsoft is planning to release the full Office suite for iPad later this year. The loading screen for the application reportedly says "Office for iOS," which could suggest that it will also be compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch.

A version of Office for Android tablets will also reportedly debut in November alongside an iOS version. Other details on the software, such as pricing or features, remain unknown.

Word first surfaced last November that Microsoft was working on an iOS version of its Office suite. It was also said that the Redmond, Wash., software company planned to release an updated version of Office for Mac on Apple's digital distribution Mac App Store.

Word of Office for iPad appeared again this February, when iPad news publication The Daily shared what was said to be a version of Office for iPad in action. However, Microsoft quickly responded to the report and accompanying picture, portraying them as "based on inaccurate rumors and speculation."

Office

February's report suggested that a version of Office for iPad would "soon" be submitted to Apple for review, suggesting it would appear on the App Store relatively quickly. However, since then, no word of an Office for iPad has surfaced.

That report also claimed that Word, Excel and PowerPoint files could be created and edited both locally and online with the iPad version of Office. It was reported as "unclear" whether Microsoft would support other Office applications, such as Outlook or Communicator.

Microsoft already offers a number of software options for iOS, including OneNote, Bing, SkyDrive, My Xbox Live, and the game Kinectimals.
post #2 of 79

So do we wait a few hours for Microsoft to denounce this again, or what?

They're playing the Apple game every time they do that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So do we wait a few hours for Microsoft to denounce this again, or what?

They're playing the Apple game every time they do that.

Even if they do it, it sounds like more of an "access Office online from iOS" kind of deal, so ... not very interesting unless you are some business dude and the territory is pretty much covered already by others.  

If they were smart, they would release Word for iOS as a standalone app.  

That has the potential to seriously knock Apple off it's iOS software perch and would decimate Pages if done correctly.  

post #4 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That has the potential to seriously knock Apple off it's iOS software perch and would decimate Pages if done correctly.  

Only if they charge like $2.99 for it. Otherwise folks will go with Pages or one of the dozen Office clones that gets you all 3 programs for $9.99

Oh and it better launch with iCloud compatibility from day one and retina support etc. And be seriously bug checked up down left right and inside out. Because they are way way late to this game and anything that is missing or goes wrong will get them destroyed in the reviews and ratings. 

Pages is actually pretty good, my only complaint about the iOS version is the inability to use text boxes etc to really layout a page. They went with only supporting their word processing templates and it's limited and a tad annoying. I'm hoping they will add at least their basic page layout stuff even if they don't include things like auto flow between text boxes etc. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #5 of 79

What consumers really want is the iWork suite for Windows.

post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

And iLife suite (at, say, something like $99.99) too.

post #7 of 79

Everyone needs a word processor to slow their phone to a crawl.

post #8 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

How is this going to knock Apple off of anything? Don't forget that Apple is first and foremost a hardware company. They make relatively little money on selling Pages. It is just there to give users a way to create documents, and open and edit Word documents - and that's all just to make the iPad more appealing to a large number of potential customers. MS releasing Office, or even just Word, would be an even bigger selling point for the iPad. The worst case scenario is that Word for iPad is a poor copy of the desktop version, and it won't sell. In that case, Apple will still provide customers the option of using Pages (and the rest of iWork).

Edited by erikvdo - 5/23/12 at 9:14am
post #9 of 79
Quote:

this.  Microsoft Office is overpriced, insecure,  junk.

post #10 of 79
Quote:

As much as I would love to see this happen, I think the vast majority of computer users have never heard of iWork and/or don't know what it is. Even if Apple did offer it for Windows, and even if they did market it aggressively, iWork would still be very unlikely to make much headway against MS Office. Though it probably would sell well for those of us who use iWork on the Mac and have to also use a Windows PC at the office. iLife, on the other hand, would probably sell really well, since there really aren't comparable (between cost, ease of use, features) offerings in Windows desktop apps. 

But, again, Apple makes their software to help sell their hardware. The reason that they make iTunes for Windows is to make the iPod/iPhone/iPad useable for Windows users. iCloud is the same. So, we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for the i apps to appear for Windows.

post #11 of 79
Quote:

Agreed!  One step further is that I would love to see Apple release their API for Windows so code for Mac and iOS could run on Windows natively.  Not going to happen, but it would sure be easier than writing for different platforms.

post #12 of 79

Office for Android ... once again, money well spent by MS. They will break even on that investment ... ah, never. ;-)

post #13 of 79

hah. That's a joke.

Microbloat could never get that white elephant cut down to size to run on iOS in such a relatively short timeframe.

Dream on.

post #14 of 79

Microsoft already has a Lync client (communicator) for iOS.

post #15 of 79

iOffice?  iOSffice?

Office for iOS Ultra Premium Executive Deluxe Edition?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #16 of 79
Quote:

Obviously you don't actually use the IWork suite.

Or more correctly - You've never used Office and then tried to do the same tasks in an IWork application.  Apple is good at hardware and operating systems, but Office is the king when it comes to business use.  As a Mac convert I'm not playing the 'their OS is better then your OS" game, but in office applications there is no competition, open source or by Apple.  Not to the business user at least.

And for the guy who said "not very interesting unless you are some business dude and the territory is pretty much covered already by others."  I am a business dude.  I work with many business dudes.  A lot of them have IPads, including myself.  If the IOS version of Word/Excel even are 80% as functional as the Windows version then I would buy it in a second just to be able to work productively in my business environment.  If they include Skydrive support, which I figure they will either natively in the app or thru the Skydrive app, then that'd be all I needed.

Remember that Word is the defacto standard for business documents and Excel is the same for spreadsheets.  M$ will clean up on this.

post #17 of 79

The newer MS Office is a Bloated piece of garbage. If they simplify it back to the Office 2003 version it might not be to bad, but these newer versions with the ribbons are just garbage. Don't want it on my iPad, I can do just fine without it.

Edited by GS Turn - 5/23/12 at 10:10am
post #18 of 79

I wish Apple would provide one feature that is essential to me that only MS has. Using IE web browser, you can right click on a table in a web page and export it directly to Excel which is an absolutely huge feature if you use a lot of tabular data that has to be sorted and manipulated. It is next to impossible to do using Safari and Numbers by copying and pasting.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Only if they charge like $2.99 for it. Otherwise folks will go with Pages or one of the dozen Office clones that gets you all 3 programs for $9.99

Oh and it better launch with iCloud compatibility from day one and retina support etc. And be seriously bug checked up down left right and inside out. Because they are way way late to this game and anything that is missing or goes wrong will get them destroyed in the reviews and ratings. ...

Well I did say, "done correctly" so yes, I agree with all of your points. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikvdo View Post

How is this going to knock Apple off of anything? Don't forget that Apple is first and foremost a hardware company. ...

"software perch."

post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Obviously you don't actually use the IWork suite.

Or more correctly - You've never used Office and then tried to do the same tasks in an IWork application.  Apple is good at hardware and operating systems, but Office is the king when it comes to business use.  As a Mac convert I'm not playing the 'their OS is better then your OS" game, but in office applications there is no competition, open source or by Apple.  Not to the business user at least.

And for the guy who said "not very interesting unless you are some business dude and the territory is pretty much covered already by others."  I am a business dude.  I work with many business dudes.  A lot of them have IPads, including myself.  If the IOS version of Word/Excel even are 80% as functional as the Windows version then I would buy it in a second just to be able to work productively in my business environment.  If they include Skydrive support, which I figure they will either natively in the app or thru the Skydrive app, then that'd be all I needed.

Remember that Word is the defacto standard for business documents and Excel is the same for spreadsheets.  M$ will clean up on this.

I am a business dude and i have no problem _not_ using Microsoft Office.  Libre Office can do 90% of what Office does...the other 10% is just bloat very few actually need. iWork can do the same. To say otherwise is pure BS.

post #21 of 79

Wil it include that horrible ribbon thing?

#usabilitynightmare

post #22 of 79

Microsoft Office is a necessary evil in the enterprise.  I for one am looking forward to it on iOS.  We've just finished deploying iPhones to our sales staff and we're in the process of implementing iPads.  We're finding that a lot of our excel spreadsheets do not format columns correctly in Pages.  We may not show decimals in a column, yet they display in Pages, ruining the formatting.  That's just one example.

So I say bring it on Microsoft.  If they price it right, I'll bet it will be one of the highest-selling apps for iOS.  iWork just doesn't have the chops for the enterprise.

post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Oh and it better launch with iCloud compatibility from day one and retina support etc. And be seriously bug checked up down left right and inside out. Because they are way way late to this game and anything that is missing or goes wrong will get them destroyed in the reviews and ratings. 

Are you serious? iWorks is not iCloud compatible to start with

post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Microsoft Office is a necessary evil in the enterprise.  I for one am looking forward to it on iOS.  We've just finished deploying iPhones to our sales staff and we're in the process of implementing iPads.  We're finding that a lot of our excel spreadsheets do not format columns correctly in Pages.  We may not show decimals in a column, yet they display in Pages, ruining the formatting.  That's just one example.

So I say bring it on Microsoft.  If they price it right, I'll bet it will be one of the highest-selling apps for iOS.  iWork just doesn't have the chops for the enterprise.

That's exactly why Office is here to stay. We also tried alternatives (both iWork and OpenOffice). While they were ok 95% of the time, the remaining 5% was a nightmare. "Close" isn't good enough for many people.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

wrong - iWork (no "s") for iOS is fully iCloud compatible and the desktop version has half-assed support that will be upgraded to full support very soon now. 

post #26 of 79
Quote:

Apps made for iCloud.

iCloud is already seamlessly integrated with the Apple iWork apps for your iOS devices — Pages,Keynote, and Numbers. And we’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too. So you can do things like paint a masterpiece, edit stock lists, and more — and have it all with you on all your devices, including your Mac or PC.

post #27 of 79

Office on the iPad!!! Are you serious???? This is like the most.........inconsequential, boring non-"news" that I could care less about. And in November, huh? Well, that's Microsoft time, not anything like Eastern or Pacific, right? So we should see this in March of 2013 then. At the earliest. Well, great then...

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #28 of 79
Well right off the bat I know what the iOS Office "probably" won't support, and that's VB-scripts. The "Biz-Dude" wizards I know love those things.

I also doubt whether some of the new fonts like Calibri, Cambria, Candara, etc. will be able to be used. Unless of course MS embeds them in their App.... which, when viewing on another device through email attachments or Goodreader, will break the doc. layout.

That's just 2 things off of the top of my head that will make iOffice just as different from Office for the desktop, as Pages and Numbers is now.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #29 of 79
If Microsoft made PowerPoint for iOS, that would be the ultimate presentation tool.

Apple should support or even make a Bluetooth (low energy) remote control for the iOS devices like the iPad and even the iPod touch and iPhone. That would be awesome for Keynote presentations. Something like this, but for iOS devices:

Keyspan Wireless Presentation Remote for Conferences, Boardrooms and Classrooms
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I totally agree. 

There are a lot of business and government users who have no choice but to use Office to ensure 100% document and feature compatibility.I actually think that Office is a far more important "platform" for MS than Windows is. If Microsoft releases Office for iOS that will prove that Microsoft thinks Office is more important than Windows, too (otherwise, they'd try using the availability of Office as a competitive advantage to push Windows tablets). In fact, I bet Microsoft ends up making more money off of each sale of Office to iOS users than off of each sale of Windows to PC OEMs. 

post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apps made for iCloud.

iCloud is already seamlessly integrated with the Apple iWork apps for your iOS devices — Pages,Keynote, and Numbers. And we’ve given developers the tools to make their apps work with iCloud, too. So you can do things like paint a masterpiece, edit stock lists, and more — and have it all with you on all your devices, including your Mac or PC.

Copy paste from some publicity.

Did you notice Pages on iPad and on iMac do not synchronize.

Hence, to me, Pages on iOS is not really meant for iCloud, is it?

post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I am a business dude and i have no problem _not_ using Microsoft Office. Libre Office can do 90% of what Office does...the other 10% is just bloat very few actually need. iWork can do the same. To say otherwise is pure BS.

You must not do much more than word processing and light spreadsheets because nothing else out there has the sophistication of Excel for advanced spreadsheets. Also, Access is pretty powerful for quickly storing and querying data. Nothing touches MS Office for these business tasks.
post #33 of 79
Quote:

So you haven't used it in the past year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post
Copy paste from some publicity.

No, it's a feature set being advertised. If it wasn't true, they'd be sued.

Quote:

Did you notice Pages on iPad and on iMac do not synchronize.

Of course they do. Anything you send to iCloud from your Mac automatically updates if changes are applied elsewhere.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 5/23/12 at 11:56am

post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninterested_Viewer View Post

You must not do much more than word processing and light spreadsheets because nothing else out there has the sophistication of Excel for advanced spreadsheets. Also, Access is pretty powerful for quickly storing and querying data. Nothing touches MS Office for these business tasks.

Although there is no Access on Mac, which is a shame since I agree it is rather handy. I have not used Filemaker for many years. Is it SQL yet?

post #35 of 79
Quote:

Why will you want that when you can use google docs for FREE. and your files work across all platforms. iOS, android, windows, linux, mac. Its in the cloud with the option to save locally and real time collab.

To get me to buy office software it better come with free strippers cause google docs just everything the typical user would want

..........That being said, I am almost done doing my masters thesis and THANK GOD for excel. COUNTIFS FTW!!!! lol

post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post
Why will you want that when you can use google docs for FREE.

Maybe I'd like the contents of my documents to not be whored out for more "accurate" advertisements.

post #37 of 79

I am so amazed that there are so many apple users who do not want their apple device to sell even more.  MS office is a must in the enterprise world. Ms office being sold on IOS devices will make the ipad sell a TON more in the business world.  THe only thing left is for apple to make their security control better. Everything on an ipad needs to be controlled by the iphone configuration utility. Something setup in a profile must not be able to be changed by the devices user. Get these things fixed and IOS devices would be perfect for bsuinesses .

Ms Office being available is a big step.

post #38 of 79

Yeah...it will suck and we'll buy it anyway for lack of real alternative.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
Yeah...it will suck and we'll buy it anyway for lack of real alternative.  

iWork… 

post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I am so amazed that there are so many apple users who do not want their apple device to sell even more.  MS office is a must in the enterprise world. Ms office being sold on IOS devices will make the ipad sell a TON more in the business world.  THe only thing left is for apple to make their security control better. Everything on an ipad needs to be controlled by the iphone configuration utility. Something setup in a profile must not be able to be changed by the devices user. Get these things fixed and IOS devices would be perfect for bsuinesses .

Ms Office being available is a big step.

Lets not get caught up here. This forum represents the apple FANBOYS. the FANBOYS make up about 5% of the owners of apple products nowadays, although they are so vocal you would think its more.

The AVERAGE ipad/iphone user would obviously love to have this for business purposes.

Its kinda like the genesis/super nintendo fights from back in the day, lol.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Microsoft to launch Office for Apple's iOS in November