or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents

post #1 of 157
Thread Starter 
A 10-person federal jury has found unanimously that Google didn't infringe on Oracle's patents when developing the Android mobile operating system.

The jury's ruling was issued on Wednesday in a San Francisco courtroom, according to Bloomberg. Because Google was not found to be infringing upon Oracle's patents, the jury was immediately dismissed and the third phase of the trial, which would have dealt with damages, was canceled.

Oracle has sought $1 billion in damages for intellectual property theft, and argued in court that Google violated two patented inventions from the Java programming language when it developed the Android platform. The jury previously determined two weeks ago that Google did infringe on Oracle's Java copyrights by using nine lines of rangeCheck, but couldn't agree on whether that was considered "fair use."

Judge William Alsup must still rule on whether the previous infringement found by the jury is valid, as there is a question as to whether the Java application programming interfaces can be copyrighted. The Verge said it is unknown when the judge will make his final decision on the issue, though he does plan to take off the next two days for personal reasons.

If Alsup determines that the structure, sequence and organization of 37 Java APIs are not covered under copyright law, Oracle will receive statutory damages at a maximum of $150,000 per count. But if they are covered under copyright, all three infringement counts found by the jury would be bundled together to be addressed with a new trial, or in appeals court.

Oracle signaled on Wednesday that it plans to continue its legal assault against Google regardless of Wednesday's decision. The company said it presented "overwhelming evidence" in the trial to show that Google "knew it would fragment and damage Java."

"We plan to continue to defend and uphold Java's core write once run anywhere principle and ensure it is protected for the nine million Java developers and the community that depend on Java compatibility," Oracle's statement reads.
post #2 of 157
Likely just one of many, many victories in store for Google this year (and beyond).
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 157

Sounds like the jury of the USFL just moved from football to tech!

/

/

/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #4 of 157

wut

post #5 of 157

While this will be appealed upon appeal, it does seem for what was originally supposed to be biggest storm for Android, it may not even get overcast. Heh.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #6 of 157

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #7 of 157

it's better this way...

 

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.

personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.

now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

 

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

post #8 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post
everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.


No, a dead Android and a proper third OS as a replacement means everyone wins. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #9 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it's better this way...

 

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.

personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.

now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

 

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

I totally agree, I hate all this fanboy shit and just use whatever is the best at the time. I went from a iPhone to Android because it suits me better at the moment but I will certainly look at iOS6 and the new iPhone when it comes out.

post #10 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


No, a dead Android and a proper third OS as a replacement means everyone wins. 

I agree.

No surprise that the fandroids came out to infest this thread.  Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Android is a sham of a system.  Get real competition into the marketplace.  Not some botched copy of iOS.  WebOS, Win8, etc... at least they had the guts to make a go of it.  

post #11 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree.

No surprise that the fandroids came out to infest this thread.  Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Android is a sham of a system.  Get real competition into the marketplace.  Not some botched copy of iOS.  WebOS, Win8, etc... at least they had the guts to make a go of it.  

Have you actually used a Android device at length or are you just talking out of your arse? I would expect the latter...

 

Every OS has good and bad points but to label anything as a "sham of a system" just makes you look stupid.

post #12 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it's better this way...

 

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.

personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.

now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

 

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

 

I agree -- but this is a surprising decision.

 

Google violated Oracle's JAVA almost in the exact way that Microsoft did with "embrace and extend" -- so this isn't even following prior case law -- it does a 180. Maybe their are "legal" loopholes or differences in the way Google managed to make JAVA only work on their platform for what Android is doing. 

 

Overall, it's better that we have a competitor to iOS -- but it seems that Google has been miraculously lucky making a knockoff of the iPhone while basing an OS on a platform they treated as their own proprietary one. That was a surprise to me.

post #13 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post
Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. 

 

So before I report you for being a troll account, could you clarify a few things?

 

First, "crappy iOS product". You're going to have to write a three page essay, single spaced, for anyone to believe you're not a troll after saying that and leaving it as such.

 

Second, Android isn't open. Not in the sense you're using that word, at least.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #14 of 157

I hope we can forget the Android bashing for one article.  This would have had widespread consequences throughout the software industry if the decision is reversed.  I have done things similar to what Google did here but on a much smaller scale.  I fully believe Apple is rooting for Google on this one issue because it about more than "patent" violations or copyright infringement.  

 

If Oracle wins this  in the end (it isn't over yet), there is a 10,000% chance Apple is going to be targeted with similar litigation.  Maybe not from Oracle, but someone.  OSX and iOS both depend on open source programs and libraries for many features.  At some point in time Apple probably wrote its own implementations of one those libraries.  The code is 100% Apple written, but how other developers interface with that library identical to some Unix/Linux library. This would leave the door wide open for someone to sue Apple under the same circumstances Google has been sued by Oracle.

 

So before you go Android bashing, consider for one moment what this case is about much more than a fued between iOS and Android.  This is about turning the entire software industry on its head by changing what constitutes as copyright infringement and what does not.  Google did exactly what Sun  expected people to do when they opened up Java to the world, and now that it has a new owner, Oracle wants to rewrite that history and profit from Google's success.

post #15 of 157

I don't know if the jury really was capable of understanding the technical details of what was presented.  Should be interesting to see Oracle's next step...

 

But Motorola (a division of Google) is not winning its cases...  here is another fun one to watch.

 

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Microsoft-Wins-Patent-Suit-Against-Motorola-Android-Handsets-808814/

post #16 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin

and the gator spoojing

post #17 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So before I report you for being a troll account, 

Add yourself to that list while you are doing the reporting. 

post #18 of 157

done... another idiotic waste of time ends how it should.

post #19 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
Add yourself to that list while you are doing the reporting. 

 

I'm fairly certain you can't be a troll on a pro-Apple forum by truthfully supporting Apple.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #20 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm fairly certain you can't be a troll on a pro-Apple forum by truthfully supporting Apple.

Maybe you don't know what trolling means?
post #21 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post
Maybe you don't know what trolling means?

 

Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 5.33.53 PM.png

 

lol.gif

 

Do you meant to imply I'm lying about what I've said in reply?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #22 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

 

If Oracle gets their way and Android is brought into the Java fold under GPL, then Android will become truly open with no proprietary parts.

 

This is what Google fears the most and fights so hard to avoid.

 

Google's version of "open" is marketing spin.

 

It would be very hard to find a jury who is unbiased toward Google as they march on to control what people find on the Internet.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #23 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If Oracle gets their way and Android is brought into the Java fold under GPL, then Android will become truly open with no proprietary parts.

And exactly what parts of AOSP are proprietary?

And how can Oracle gets their way now?
post #24 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View PostBut Motorola (a division of Google) is not winning its cases...  here is another fun one to watch.

 

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Microsoft-Wins-Patent-Suit-Against-Motorola-Android-Handsets-808814/

Motorola is not owned by Google - Motorola Mobility (a division of Motorola) is owned by Google.

post #25 of 157
Where's SockRolid who swore up and down this lawsuit would be the death of Android?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

android isn't open and only a minority will try to change what they got on their smartphone, because:

-you shouldn't have to do it;

-it is not worthy.

-it is, basically, a way to kill time for a few random people.. usually "basement" people.

 

android has it's strengths and for sure it has is own place. I prefer the current iOS and respective devices, but i cannot justify any high end mobile device right now. So android it is for me.

I condemn google's (and the other OEMs positions) positions, but once you (me) learn to look at the forest, we see how good android is to 95% of those working in the tech industry.

they (OEMs) were totally defeated by apple and had to abandon profits and change the way they do business, but thanks to android they can survive. thanks to android, new companies will have the chance to innovate and emerge. thanks to android, apple will be better and do better things.

 

If android would be terminated, how many would suffer? how much direct/indirect innovation would cease to appear? have you guys read about sony and HP(as well as moto)?

 

I admire microsoft. I hope one day i can say that i admire google. 

post #27 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

 

Small victory??!

 

This is a huge victory for Google... unless, of course, the countless threads of how this would be the end of Android don't count for anything.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #28 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it's better this way...

 

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.

personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.

now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

 

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

 

The only problem is with your logic...  Apple is self-motivated to provide the solutions that they desire -- they aren't driven by competitors.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #29 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Have you actually used a Android device at length or are you just talking out of your arse? I would expect the latter...

 

Every OS has good and bad points but to label anything as a "sham of a system" just makes you look stupid.

 

 

It;s not so much the validity of Android as an OS...

 

 

Do you buy things and associate yourself with those who can't be trusted or respected?
 
 

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,

 I was carting home a load with manly pride,
 When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
 And a pig came up and lay down by my side.

 Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
 A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
 "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
 Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

     Walked away, walked away,
     He was really too particular to stay.
     "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
     Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.
 
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #30 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


And exactly what parts of AOSP are proprietary?
And how can Oracle gets their way now?

 

Manufacturer add ons, Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc, Google Apps and Market access, the stick Google uses to keep manufacturers in line all would become open under Java's GPL license.

 

Google don't want that, which is why they refused to license Java and fight so hard to protect their hijacking of it.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #31 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

So before I report you for being a troll account

 

I am sure he was talking about ICS.  But, why are you defending Apple itself?  Have you even used any Android with ICS?  Their OSs have DEFINETELY improved and I think ICS surpassed iOS already.  I think you should thank Google for that since Apple WILL improve on their iOS hopfully in iPhone 5.  My preschoolers love iOS, but not me because it is too simple and boring.  Galaxy Nexus rocks!  It does more than what iPhone does and see what the owners are doing http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/534-screenshots-your-galaxy-nexus-home-screens-262.html

post #32 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it's better this way...

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.
personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.
now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

Apple is not suffocating anyone. Innovation happens when there are obstacles to overcome. To say that a touch based, 4-6 inch form factor is the end all beat all, well then ruling in Googles favor is a great victory fr us all. Because we'll all get tons of the same phones just in different sizes.

Companies are lazy. If they can make a buck without too much effort, well here is their path. Allowing patent infringement does not force a competitor to improve upon or to try something unique that hadn't been done before, because why would they have to? Who knows why great idea is sitting on the shelf at Samsung because if patents aren't enforced they don't need to invest R&D dollars to solve a problem that no longer needs to be solved.

And that is what separates Apple from other companies. They go with a hunch, invest the R&D, take the chance and luckily it works out. But sometimes Apple simply executes it better than others. Nothing magical about the iPod, BUT iTunes is what separated the experience. Apple does what no other company currently does as well, Apple, identifies the problem more accurately than other companies do. Then they solve the problem.

The only problems that Google has been good at solving is web searching and making money off of searching. They learned how to profit from necessity and curiosity. That is there strength, everything else they do is either copying for a cash grab, or throwing spaghetti against the wall.

But if that is the "innovation" you champion, then enjoy the current form factor of your phone for the next 15 years because it ain't gonna change cause it won't be FORCED to change.
post #33 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

ICS is a much, much improve version of Android than we've seen in the past. For the ones that have never used Android ICS, shouldn't comment because you're way behind. I honestly feel (along with many, many other users here and everywhere else) that ICS is lightyears ahead of iOS 5.1 and so forth. We're just going to sit back and wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve in iOS 6 I guess..

Something iPhone users will never get to enjoy, a custom built ROM ;-)

Tell me why I'd want to.
post #34 of 157

So many people are commenting here that this is the end of oracles case, lol its far from over.  This trial for any who have read foss patents is far from over.  It was split into 3 mini trials.  Copyright, Patent and damage.  The copyright phase last week was decided in oracles favor, with one question left to be decided by the judge, fair use.  The patents phase was over two patents both of which have been deemed not infringed.  so that part of this first set of trials is over.  There are a ton of things left.  This will be appealed and the fair use part of the first trial will be decided.  But this is not a slam dunk for google by any means.  If you really want to know what is going on read foss patents. 

post #35 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Manufacturer add ons, Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc, Google Apps and Market access, the stick Google uses to keep manufacturers in line all would become open under Java's GPL license.

 

Google don't want that, which is why they refused to license Java and fight so hard to protect their hijacking of it.

I wonder if you know how badly you didn't answer his question.

post #36 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post
I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

 

I hope you realize that much of what you say is either outright wrong, subjective, or just exaggerations. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #37 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

Can't answer a question with a question. Simply defend the reason.

I'll ask again, why would I want to?
post #38 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

 

Well, at least you explained 2 things:

 

1. iPhone users are cool

 

2. The majority of people want an iPhone

 

Thank you.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #39 of 157

Bottom line is Java is completely fragmented, and therefore worthless when contrasted with its originally marketed value-added of write once, run anywhere!  

 

RIP Java, along with Flash!

post #40 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product.
Perhaps because there are no "crappy iOS products".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents