or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Actor John Malkovich amused by Siri in new iPhone 4S commercials
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Actor John Malkovich amused by Siri in new iPhone 4S commercials

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
John Malkovich is the latest celebrity to star in television commercials from Apple and Verizon touting the convenience of the Siri voice assistant feature of the iPhone 4S.

Apple posted two ads featuring Malkovich to its official YouTube channel on Wednesday.

In "Joke," Malkovich leans back in a chair querying Siri while having a drink and listening to opera music. His requests contain just one word: "weather," "evening," "linguica" and "joke."

In response to the request for a joke, Siri says, "Two iPhones walk into a bar. I forget the rest." Malkovich then finds the joke hilarious and tells Siri, "That's funny."

"Was it something I said?" Siri asks, to which Malkovich replies, "Yes, it was."



The second ad, "Life," shows Malkovich in the same chair staring off into space before saying the word "life" to Siri.

"Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations," Siri responds.

"That's pretty spectacular advice, actually," Malkovich says. "Thank you, I enjoyed this chat immensely, you are very eloquent."



Last month, Apple ads featuring Samuel L. Jackson starring Zooey Deschanel began showing on TV. Jackson used Siri to help prepare a date night, while Deschanel searched for tomato soup delivery on a rainy day.

Previous advertisements for the iPhone 4S have also centered largely around Siri. Two ads that aired in February highlighted the feature's usefulness on a cross-country road trip and in learning guitar.

Those ads actually turned out to be controversial. Class-action lawsuits filed this spring allege that they constitute false advertising because Siri doesn't work as depicted in the commercials. Apple responded earlier this month by claiming that plaintiffs' accusations are overly "vague" and lack standing.
post #2 of 51

Ah, the ham's ham.

 

Nice ads, though. Does Siri properly respond to requests that short?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #3 of 51

I can't say that I am a big fan of this celebrity advertising nonsense.

 

Cute, but silly and pointless.

post #4 of 51

I prefer Samuel L. Jackson's 'Real Siri Ad'

 

SLJ: "English, Mother f^%$#, do you speak it?"

Siri: "What?"

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #5 of 51

Actually, I liked these two ads more than the Zooey and Sam Jackson ads...

 

Still not convinced Apple is going the right direction by loading up their ads with very expensive celebs. Let the product be the star again, guys.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 51
Is the "Two iPhones walk into a bar" joke an inside joke about the two iPhones supposedly forgotten in bars or am I placing unintentional meaning where none was implied?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #7 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, I liked these two ads more than the Zooey and Sam Jackson ads...

 

Still not convinced Apple is going the right direction by loading up their ads with very expensive celebs. Let the product be the star again, guys.

 

You're missing the point of the commercials, Siri is the star of the commercial. Stars who amuse us for a living are amused by Siri.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is the "Two iPhones walk into a bar" joke an inside joke about the two iPhones supposedly forgotten in bars or am I placing unintentional meaning where none was implied?

I think it’s more of a play on a generic joke about 2 <insert persons> walk into a bar.  It’s one of the oldest in the books.

post #9 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, the ham's ham.

 

Nice ads, though. Does Siri properly respond to requests that short?


Yes, just tried all of them, responses were the same as in the commercials when you start "fresh". That is to say, if you ask Siri, "weather" she tells you the weekly forecast. if you immediately say, "evening" afterwards, she gives you the forecast for the next 12 hours.

 

But it does work just fine. I've noticed lately that Siri has become extremely quick, I wonder if Apple is finalizing the system and plans on releasing it out of beta soon?

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #10 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Is the "Two iPhones walk into a bar" joke an inside joke about the two iPhones supposedly forgotten in bars or am I placing unintentional meaning where none was implied?

 

You are, but it's hilarious that way.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #11 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


Yes, just tried all of them, responses were the same as in the commercials when you start "fresh". That is to say, if you ask Siri, "weather" she tells you the weekly forecast. if you immediately say, "evening" afterwards, she gives you the forecast for the next 12 hours.

 

But it does work just fine. I've noticed lately that Siri has become extremely quick, I wonder if Apple is finalizing the system and plans on releasing it out of beta soon?

 

"Read" reads unread text messages.

"Reply" initiates a text after a read.

"Change it" if I screw up.

"I'm on my way home period would you like me to pick up dinner question mark" composes 2 sentences to the recipient.

"Time" current time.

 

Siri works with single words just fine - and can handle follow-ups in context.

It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
Reply
post #12 of 51

So strange.

 

I can’t believe they made these ads, and they won’t sell a single iPhone with them.

 

But they’re awesome!

post #13 of 51
I think all these new ads are pretty pathetic.
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is the "Two iPhones walk into a bar" joke an inside joke about the two iPhones supposedly forgotten in bars or am I placing unintentional meaning where none was implied?

I'd say yes. Seems highly unlikely that the ad agency would miss that connection and making those type of connections is their job. And whoever it is at Apple that deals with Chiat Day(<--is that right?) should have caught it too.
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

So strange.

I can’t believe they made these ads, and they won’t sell a single iPhone with them.

But they’re awesome!
When someone who doesn't have an iPhone sees mine, the first thing they want to do is try Siri. I think Apple sees Siri as a major differentiator in the smartphone arena and these adds play that up. I think they will sell scads of them with these adds, even if it is silly...

Also, it is new and unique--most people already know about the games and the screen and the camera and such. Most people think other phones have those things too.

Finally, Apple is claiming Siri as their own with an overload of adds like this--memorable adds with stars that scream Apple. If some Android or Windows phone tries to advertise their voice activated personal assistant in the next few years, they will clearly be seen as "me too!" attempts. Even if they come up with a great implementation, the general public will be skeptical of them as copies.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #16 of 51

Why did he start laughing before Siri even reached the punchline?

 

Dumb ads, but I want that library. And that chair.

post #17 of 51

These are such creepy ads. All 3 celebrities are creepy.

 

So very un-Apple-like.

 

This is what happens when Phil Schiller takes control of marketing, now that Steve is gone.

 

Does anybody honestly think that Steve would have approved these ads??

 

They have no heart or emotion or make any resonance with the audience.

 

Just terrible.

post #18 of 51

John Malkovich was amused by Siri...

I was not amused by the commercial.

 

The commercial may still sell millions of iPhones...all it needs to do is be more entertaining than the drivel that was on just before the commercial break.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #19 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3d View Post

I think all these new ads are pretty pathetic.

 

Wow, what a shocking reaction from you. Your entire posting history is composed of you whining about the Mac Pro, demanding that Apple make it their 'focus' and trashing anything to do with iOS or iDevices. Or 'iCrap' in your words. Your reaction to this is just as predictable and unreasonable as the rest of your posts. ie. you're a troll, even though yo claim or pretend to like Apple, you're obsessed with a single one of their niche products (Mac Pro) and spew hate and vitriol at everything else. It's old, lame, childish, and rather pathetic. Go and get some fresh air, and give some other company business instead of spending so much time on hate and anger. 

post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

I think it’s more of a play on a generic joke about 2 <insert persons> walk into a bar.  It’s one of the oldest in the books.

 

I think it's both. Apple saw the opportunity to use one of the oldest jokes around and it also happens to be something the "geeks" would get as well. As was mentioned, I highly doubt they missed it. I think it's intentional and brilliant.

post #21 of 51
Steve Jobs would never have agreed to these ads. I guess this is what a post-Jobs world looks like.
post #22 of 51

Totally disagree. Steve Jobs, however much a genius, was not always right.

 

Who loved the Beatles? Who loved Cold Play? Who loved many bands? And who would definitely agree to using Siri with them.

 

So why not celebrities?

 

You have no idea if Steve would approve or not approve.

 

The same Steve Jobs said long ago that the OS Wars between Microsoft and Mac were over, but did he say no to COUNTLESS ads with an actor playing a PC and an actor playing a Mac (OS vs OS)? No.

 

These ads appeal to different people. Apple is varying its ads so as to not make people skip ahead through the commercial since they've seen every single thing the iPhone can do, and now they are showing celebrities, who MILLIONS of people relate to, using their new poster child, Siri.

 

Just because YOU may not like it doesn't mean Steve, even if HE didn't care for it, would stop these ads.

 

If anything, he'd go with the company he's been with for many, many years and trust that they will continue to help Apple sell millions of devices.

 

These are good, funny, entertaining ads that show the usefulness of Siri, whether or not you get any use out of Siri or like the ads. I like them all because I learn something new from every one of them.

 

I'm tired of people thinking they know what Steve would do as the company just keeps selling more and more and more and getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

 

And His Highness Steve (who I do hold in great regard) made plenty of mistakes himself, and reversed his own decisions a number of times.

 

/rant
 

... and I accidentally clicked on cash's reputation instead of the one above. I don't agree with him.

post #23 of 51

I gave it the SLJ litmus test, and here is what Siri had to say:

 

"No need for profanity".

 

I swear she sounded like one my grade school teachers and felt a little embarassed. Looking for a corner now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I prefer Samuel L. Jackson's 'Real Siri Ad'

 

SLJ: "English, Mother f^%$#, do you speak it?"

Siri: "What?"

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #24 of 51

Funny you mentioned the OS wars. To this day, I could never figure out why the Mac vs PC campaign ever came to fruition while Steve was still alive. No matter how elegantly presented, it was still sort of "Us vs. Them", or "Our product X is better than your product Y".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Totally disagree. Steve Jobs, however much a genius, was not always right.

 

Who loved the Beatles? Who loved Cold Play? Who loved many bands? And who would definitely agree to using Siri with them.

 

So why not celebrities?

 

You have no idea if Steve would approve or not approve.

 

The same Steve Jobs said long ago that the OS Wars between Microsoft and Mac were over, but did he say no to COUNTLESS ads with an actor playing a PC and an actor playing a Mac (OS vs OS)? No.

 

These ads appeal to different people. Apple is varying its ads so as to not make people skip ahead through the commercial since they've seen every single thing the iPhone can do, and now they are showing celebrities, who MILLIONS of people relate to, using their new poster child, Siri.

 

Just because YOU may not like it doesn't mean Steve, even if HE didn't care for it, would stop these ads.

 

If anything, he'd go with the company he's been with for many, many years and trust that they will continue to help Apple sell millions of devices.

 

These are good, funny, entertaining ads that show the usefulness of Siri, whether or not you get any use out of Siri or like the ads. I like them all because I learn something new from every one of them.

 

I'm tired of people thinking they know what Steve would do as the company just keeps selling more and more and more and getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

 

And His Highness Steve (who I do hold in great regard) made plenty of mistakes himself, and reversed his own decisions a number of times.

 

/rant
 

... and I accidentally clicked on cash's reputation instead of the one above. I don't agree with him.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, what a shocking reaction from you. Your entire posting history is composed of you whining about the Mac Pro, demanding that Apple make it their 'focus' and trashing anything to do with iOS or iDevices. Or 'iCrap' in your words. Your reaction to this is just as predictable and unreasonable as the rest of your posts. ie. you're a troll, even though yo claim or pretend to like Apple, you're obsessed with a single one of their niche products (Mac Pro) and spew hate and vitriol at everything else. It's old, lame, childish, and rather pathetic. Go and get some fresh air, and give some other company business instead of spending so much time on hate and anger. 

Look, we have 2 Mac Pros, 3 iMacs, 3 iPads, and 3 iPhones in my household. Not to mention multitudes of iPods. Oh ya, I really hate Apple! Give me a break fanboy!
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Steve Jobs would never have agreed to these ads. I guess this is what a post-Jobs world looks like.

Yeah - and he would never have John Mayer on stage with him or get a celebrity such as Bono to endorse a product - Steve J NEVER EVER did that - and of course had to be locked in a room with no food or drink for 6 weeks in order to get him to approve the Think Different ads with folks like Einstein appearing in them. Yes the days of stoic dependence on ads that only show off the product itself are now gone. oh and lets not forget that the original iPhone ad http://yt.cl.nr/8nyYloJyq9M which didn't have a single celebrity appear in it. Yes indeed, the days of Apple getting by on its own merit and not riding the coattails of famous people are behind us. 

 

When I header the Two iPhone walk into a bar joke I was thinking the forgetfulness was because "Siri" was one of the iPhones and got drunk and could not recall the rest of the story. 

 

But a reference to two lost iPhones works as well. 

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Funny you mentioned the OS wars. To this day, I could never figure out why the Mac vs PC campaign ever came to fruition while Steve was still alive. No matter how elegantly presented, it was still sort of "Us vs. Them", or "Our product X is better than your product Y".

Then I guess you need to work on your thinking skills.

That was one of the most successful ad campaigns in history. They were absolutely brilliant - and probably led to millions of new Mac users.

What's wrong with saying that your product is better - when it is?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #28 of 51
Quote:
Steve Jobs would never have agreed to these ads. I guess this is what a post-Jobs world looks like.

A bit of deviation is not always a bad thing, Steve didn't do everything right. Celebrity endorsement just works, and they seem to be picking their celebrities very carefully. Stay classy! You better believe they are watching the numbers very closely on these. The ads are still very focused and simple and aren't listing capabilities or focusing on speed or insipid marketing stunts. I think they are still in the ballpark Steve might have liked.

post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I can't say that I am a big fan of this celebrity advertising nonsense.

 

Cute, but silly and pointless.

surprised john didn't ask Siri where he could get "boned" tonight ...

post #30 of 51
Malkovich Malkovich Malkovich
   Malkovich...
 
Malkovich looks confused. The Malkovich waiter approaches,
pen and pad in hand, ready to take their orders.
post #31 of 51

Article title should read

 

 

Quote:
Actor John Malkovich acts amused by Siri in new iPhone 4S commercials
post #32 of 51

These two Malkovich ads are the first in a very long time that I simply don't like. Show what the product can do, don't praise it. That makes the product seem weak.

post #33 of 51

In the third, unaired ad...

 

Malkovich says, "Siri. Strange."

 

Siri replies, "You, me, or this ad?"

 

Malkovich replies, "Neither. I mean, where can I get some?"

 

Siri inquires, "Get some what?"

 

Malkovich answers, "Some strange."

 

Siri answers, "Ah. I think I know what you need. Let me make that booty call for you."

post #34 of 51

Celebrities or not, the ads show people having plain English conversations with their phone! How is that not showing what the product can do?

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply

"Be aware of wonder." ~ Robert Fulghum

Reply
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post
Celebrities or not, the ads show people having plain English conversations with their phone! How is that not showing what the product can do?

 

I think the Malkovich ones are even more impressive in this regard, because it shows that Siri can work accurately with virtually no contextual data.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I think the Malkovich ones are even more impressive in this regard, because it shows that Siri can work accurately with virtually no contextual data.


Excellent point.  I find Malkovich creepy and don't "like" those ads, but you're right.  Collectively, and quite subtly, this series of ads is "teaching" me that Siri on the iPhone "just works."  The fact that they are celebs catches your attention so you listen more to what they are saying and notice that they are speaking very naturally (for them).

 

And I used "weather" this morning before I grabbed my coat.  Quicker than unlocking my phone and finding the weather app.  Thanks Malkovich (but you're still creepy).

post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

 

They have no heart or emotion or make any resonance with the audience.

 

Just terrible.

 

 

From Ad Age:

Apple's new Siri campaign starring Samuel L. Jackson and Zooey Deschanel drew the ire of Ad Age TV Editor Brian Steinberg this week, but turns out consumers love them. If you believe ad-effectiveness company Ace Metrix, in fact, they're rejuvenating the Apple brand.

The two ads were the most-effective ads to premiere in the week ending April 20, according to the company. They were also the second- and third-most effective mobile phone commercials of 2012 based on Ace Metrix measures, right behind Samsung's Galaxy Note campaign, which has been airing since February and was the most effective ad of the quarter.

"These ads performed very well, especially with younger women, who did not react as strongly to Apple's more feature-focused ads from earlier in the year," said Mr. Daboll in a statement accompanying the new results. "Celebrity ads are risky, as many celebrities can be polarizing. In these latest ads, Apple has chosen wisely, using celebrities with broad appeal."

* * *

I guess you're not the intended audience.

post #38 of 51

Works with "Traffic" too!

 

(I like that I learned something from the ad--I can be even lazier-- but yeah, Malkovich is creepy)

post #39 of 51
Can the people complaining about these ads stop insinuating what Steve Jobs' opinion on these ads would be? I'd prefer his legacy be about what decisions he made in the past, not what decisions he would or wouldn't have made in the present or future.

Even if you revere him to the point of using a "What would Steve do?" litmus test whenever Apple does something, at least have the integrity to never presume what Steve's thoughts would be. Because you can't know! Blatantly saying Steve would never have approved of something is so convenient when you don't like something Apple does, because no one can ask Steve's opinion.

This same idiocy happened to Walt Disney. Steve Jobs is dead, he's no longer around to care about some ads Apple is running. If you don't like Apple's decision, express that without throwing a past CEO in your corner. It adds nothing to the conversation but distraction of the subject at hand.
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post

Works with "Traffic" too!

 

(I like that I learned something from the ad--I can be even lazier-- but yeah, Malkovich is creepy)

 

They really need to integrate a sports service into Siri.  "Score?"  "Who's winning?" "Yankees Red Sox?"  Having Siri respond intelligently to those questions would be very persuasive.  When I got my iPhone I asked it all sorts of sports questions (thinking it work work) and it was embarrassingly bad.  Ask Siri "Who won the super bowl?" and her response: "Issuing Entity: South Korea" from Wolfram Alpha.  Uh, WTF?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Actor John Malkovich amused by Siri in new iPhone 4S commercials