or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS grows to 23% of worldwide smartphone shipments
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iOS grows to 23% of worldwide smartphone shipments

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Apple continues to gain share in the worldwide smartphone market, as the latest data shows the iOS mobile operating system accounted for nearly a quarter of all smartphones shipped in the first quarter of 2012.

The IDC data issued on Thursday shows once again that the smartphone operating system competition has become a two-horse race between Apple's iOS, which is limited to three available iPhone models, and Google Android, which is found on a number of devices from multiple handset makers on virtually all carriers. Apple saw its market share increase from 18.3 percent of smartphones shipped in the first quarter of 2011, to 23 percent in the first three months of 2012.

Android saw even greater gains year over year, rocketing from 36.1 percent of smartphones shipped at the start of 2011 to 59 percent of shipments in the first quarter of 2012. Total estimated unit shipments for Android smartphones were 89.9 million for the quarter, compared with 35.1 million iPhones for Apple.

While iOS and Android saw gains to start 2012, all other mobile platforms lost share over the last year. The hardest hit was Nokia's Symbian platform, which dropped from 26 percent of smartphones in the first quarter of 2011 to just 6.8 percent of shipments last quarter.

Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS also tumbled from 13.6 percent a year ago to 6.4 percent to start 2012. And Microsoft's Windows Phone platform slid from 2.6 percent in 2011 to just 2.2 percent of shipments in the first quarter of 2012.

IDC


"The popularity of Android and iOS stems from a combination of factors that the competition has struggled to keep up with," said Ramon Llamas, senior research analyst with IDC's Mobile Phone Technology and Trends program. "Neither Android nor iOS were the first to market with some of these features, but the way they made the smartphone experience intuitive and seamless has quickly earned a massive following."

Total smartphone shipments for the quarter were 152.3 million units, which was up 49.9 percent from the 101.6 million shipped a year ago. In terms of units shipped, Microsoft's Windows Phone platform actually grew year over year to 3.3 million, even though its share of the overall market was smaller.

"In order for operating system challengers to gain share, their creators and hardware partners need to secure developer loyalty," said Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC's Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker program. "This is true because developer intentions or enthusiasm for a particular operating system is typically a leading indicator of hardware sales success."
post #2 of 45

Wha...?

 

That Qtr 1 2011 Share column is confusing as heck! 

 

EDIT: Another AI error. The 4th column should actually be labeled Year Over Year Change, not Qtr 1 share. If you look at the source report there were 5 columns. AI left one out, and mislabeled one.


Edited by Gatorguy - 5/24/12 at 8:56am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #3 of 45
iOS increases to 23% smartphone OS installations.

This distinction is important. I don't expect non-tech sites to be so technical but I do expect tech sites to be.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 45

Uh... other is .3%, not 30%.
 

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #5 of 45

Additional comments from the IDC press release:

 

"Samsung was the largest contributor to Android's success, accounting for 45.4% of all Android-based smartphone shipments. But beyond Samsung was a mix of companies retrenching themselves or slowly growing their volumes."

(Which would give Samsung at least around 26% marketshare even if all they sold were Android-based smartphones, assuming I did the math sorta, kinda right.... Right?)

 

"Linux maintained its small presence in the worldwide smartphone market, thanks in large part to Samsung's continued emphasis on bada. By the end of the quarter, Samsung accounted for 81.6% of all Linux-powered smartphones, a 3.6% share gain versus the prior-year period. (That one's for you Soli as I noted you've been curious about how much of Sammy's sales were accounted for by those OS's)

Other vendors, meanwhile, have been experimenting with Android to drive volume. Still, Linux's fortunes are closely tied to Samsung's strategy, which already encompasses Android, Windows Phone, and later this year, Tizen."

 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/android-and-ios-powered-smartphones-expand-their-share-of-the-market-in-the-first-quarter-according-to-idc-2012-05-24

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Uh... other is .3%, not 30%.
 

I was wondering why for a second there the sum of the 2012 share column was over 100%. Makes sense.

post #7 of 45

I wonder what it says of Apple's strategy that the increase of their share came from an almost identical increase of shipments while Android's increase in share required a far steeper increase of shipment?

post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wonder what it says of Apple's strategy that the increase of their share came from an almost identical increase of shipments while Android's increase in share required a far steeper increase of shipment?

I don't know. Maybe if you translate your question into English?



Keep in mind when evaluating this chart that 'smart phone' is an ambiguous term. IDC (which is responsible for this chart) is one of the companies which counts even bare bones 'smart phones' which are really not much more than feature phones. Apple's share of 'true' smart phones is undoubtedly higher.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 45

Those statistics show Android heavily leading in market share. I would be more interested in seeing market share based around actual sales. Video game companies too often tout they shipped millions of copies (non-WoW MMOs are bad about this) but then when it comes down to which of those actually sold, it tends to be poor.

post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Those statistics show Android heavily leading in market share. I would be more interested in seeing market share based around actual sales. Video game companies too often tout they shipped millions of copies (non-WoW MMOs are bad about this) but then when it comes down to which of those actually sold, it tends to be poor.

I would imagine they're nearly all sales. In general they were almost certainly paid for (or at least committed to) which is one of the requirements needed to recognize revenue according to GAAP, the SEC and international reporting standards.

 

Instead I imagine you're curious how many of those were then purchased by a consumer? That would require a whole lot of current data from a whole lot of manufacturers, some of which probably don't know unless their resellers are reporting back with their own sales figures on a timely and regular basis.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #11 of 45

Apple is still leading in profits which what companies care about.  If it wants to gain significantly more market share (and that may not be a desirable thing if it cuts into profits), it needs to offer different size phones (ie a 4" iPhone 5 and a 3.5" 4s which very well may happen) and offer an inexpensive 3GS in markets where phones are not subsidized.

post #12 of 45

Although I love stats as much as the next guy - Q2 is going to be the REAL tale about mobile marketshare. Although I am surrounded by Apple products (heck I outfitted my entire design office with G5 Towers once upon a time)... I got the Windows Phone because I wasn't seeing much innovation in the iOS (my opinion mind you).

 

With the release of the Windows Phones beginning of Q2, a three-horse race is what a lot of consumers and marketers are looking for. Pity we have to wait another couple of months to see those stats.

 
 
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

 

 

That means that there is room in the market for Apple to more than quadruple its iPhone sales.  I don't see that Android manufacturers have nearly the upside potential.

That means that there is room in the market for Windows Phone to increase nearly more than 50 fold its WP sales.  I don't see that Apple has nearly the upside potential. Seeing as they only have 2.6% of the market

 

Twisted logic you used there, but I like it.

post #14 of 45

Poor RIM. Windows Phone is at least growing although not as fast as the overall market. But Blackberry not only lost marketshare but they ship roughly a third fewer phones. I wonder how long they can last?

post #15 of 45

Windows Phone is still a 'rounding error' as Balmer would say.

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Poor RIM. Windows Phone is at least growing although not as fast as the overall market. But Blackberry not only lost marketshare but they ship roughly a third fewer phones. I wonder how long they can last?

was just about to say this.

 

If BB10 fails, they are screwed.

 

Its just so hard to stand out now. Everyone has a phone with a screen on the front and things that move around on the screen. To the average consumer its not really about OS anymore. Its about

 

A) Price

B) Brand Recognition

 

Price, well android wins that one. Sure, you can get a free 3gs, but the fact that its the 'really old one' people would rather get a 'new' cheap android, even though the cheap android phones have sucky screens, processors, gpu's and experiences over all.

 

The brand recognition market right now is all about who can market their device better IMO. And in this regard Apple is light years ahead.

post #17 of 45
Pipped :)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Sure, you can get a free 3gs, but the fact that its the 'really old one' people would rather get a 'new' cheap android…


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

I wouldn't want to wish the 3GS with iOS 5 on anyone. That phone has long since shone its age with poor UI performance compared to modern smart phones. I gave mine to my 3-year-old who alternates between watching cartoons on YouTube and beating the living hell out of it.

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

 

Actually the 3gs is free whereas the newest androids are up to 200 dollars so i don't see how you......oh, you were making joke.

 

ha ha. good one. so funny you. you should get a prize. funniest man ever. you funny funny man. yes you very funny, very very funny. very very funny man, you so funny. look up funny in the dictionary and i'll see your face, thats how funny you are. oh my, i like your humor.  so funny. from now on i call you mr funny haha. well done mr funny. good job. you make me laugh out loud. cause you so funny.

post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

This reporrt says otherwise. 

 

I would take a 3gs to a LG 500 but I will take a Galaxy S II to a 3gs any day. I think most consumers who plan on using the smart phone will. The 3gs is even compared to some low end androids not much to brag about. The Camera sucks and no flash which is what a lot of people are buying phones for now. Coupled with the limited storage available for the current 3gs 8gb compared to getting a low end android that has a 5mp camera with flash and 4gbs on the phone and you can buy a 16gb memory card on the side. The 3gs was a good phone but technology has moved beyond it.

 

On the US carriers that sell it the Samsung Galaxy S II is the number 1 or 2 phones in terms of sells. The iPhone 4s is the number one where it is number two. Are you telling me all those people got the GSII because there was no 3Gs in stock at the time?


Edited by Apple v. Samsung - 5/24/12 at 11:31am
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

bahahahahahhah!!!

 

Are you friggin kidding me? Only as a between contract replacement!

 

I love me my Apple products but the only reason I'd take a free 3GS over the newest and fastest Android would be because I chose the Apple Ecosytem.

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

...The 3gs was a good phone but technology has moved beyond it.

 

True that; there was a smart and thoughtful review about the 3GS from one of the posters here, but I can't seem to find it any more...

post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post
Actually the 3gs is free whereas the newest androids are up to 200 dollars so i don't see how you......oh, you were making joke.

 

Brand new Android devices, if you take a gander at the papers, are often buy one get one free.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post
This reporrt says otherwise.

 

Where does it say the top selling smartphones? I don't see that anywhere. Last I heard, the iPhone 4S, 4, and 3GS were still the top three. If there's new data to change that, I'd absolutely love to be corrected.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Additional comments from the IDC press release:

[...] "Still, Linux's fortunes are closely tied to Samsung's strategy, which already encompasses Android, Windows Phone, and later this year, Tizen."

 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/android-and-ios-powered-smartphones-expand-their-share-of-the-market-in-the-first-quarter-according-to-idc-2012-05-24

 

There it is!  The T-Word.  Tizen.

 

It's the OS that the Android crowd will move to after they get sick and tired of Google's crap.

Tizen is actually open.  It's standards-based.  It's unencumbered by Microsoft (and other patent-holder) licensing fees.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't use Java.  This implies that it might actually have decent performance.

 

Oh, and Intel and the Linux Foundation are backing it.

 

From the Wikipedia article on Tizen:

 

 

Quote:

In September 2011 Intel and the Linux Foundation announced that their efforts will shift from MeeGo to Tizen during 2011 and 2012.

 

Samsung is big enough to do either one of two things:

 

1. Fork Android so they can optimize it for their specific hardware, or

2. Replace Android with Tizen and an associated non-Google ecosystem.

 

And why would Samsung fork Android?  Because soon the "main" Android release will, itself, be a fork.

Google can and will create a Motorola fork of Android.  They need to.  They just blew $12.5 billion on Motorola Mobility.

That's a heck of a lot of banner ads' worth of cold, hard cash that they need to make up.  Somehow.

And monetizing the Motorola acquisition is how they'll do it.  And that means that Motorola will need to have a better,

faster version of Android.  Period.

 

And what would happen if Samsung dumped Android in favor of Tizen?  Well, if Samsung management aren't the

bunch of squirrels that everyone thinks they are, they'll first build out a curated infrastructure.  They'll jettison the

cesspool-like Android Market Google Play and build their own walled garden.  Better for them.  Better for their users.

 

Next, Samsung will take Tizen and make it over in their own image.  I'm sure they'll call it "value add" or something.

It's like dogs pissing on trees to mark their territory.  All the Android handset makers do it.  Samsung won't be

able to resist the temptation with Tizen.  It's part of their DNA.  Warm-over the software to differentiate themselves.

This is what happens when you don't develop your own OS.

 

Samsung could make their Tizen implementation look a lot like, if not identical to, their Android implementation.

The users won't notice anything.  Few of their bread-and-butter big-fat-middle-of-the-bell-curve users have any Android

apps anyway.  And those who do have Android apps got them free anyway.  Big deal.  They'll get the free Tizen versions.

 

Most Android users walked into a store and said "My flip phone died.  What do you have that's free?"

The clerk shows them a generic droid phone and says "Look.  It plays Angry Birds."

The user says "Wow! Angry Birds!!!??? Where do I sign?"

 

This won't change if and when Samsung switches to Tizen.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

 

nonsense 

post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Those statistics show Android heavily leading in market share. I would be more interested in seeing market share based around actual sales. Video game companies too often tout they shipped millions of copies (non-WoW MMOs are bad about this) but then when it comes down to which of those actually sold, it tends to be poor.

 

so you think there are 89.9 million android smart phones shipped to a warehouse? - if that was the case you would see a decline the next quarter - you do not have that much inventory of anything.

Videogames company is a perfect example - once initial software ships you see a spike but the next quarter it falls if not received well as distributors do not renew orders. 

 

You do not keep getting millions shipped each quarter if it does not sell - that argument is illogical.

 

Android is at 68% in China... at this point "shipped not sold" is wishful thinking.

post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post
nonsense 

 

All right, could you show me the most recent list of top selling phones? Have things changed since I last read?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #29 of 45

Is the iOS/Android disparity a shortcoming of Apple's distribution, or people actually picking Android phones over iPhones?  In every service provider I've seen stats on which sell both the iPhone 4S and the latest Android phones, iOS is ahead of Android.  But clearly there are a lot of Android sales SOMEwhere.  Where are they coming from?  Can the entire discrepancy be that China Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone?  Or are these all pre-paid phones?  Where are the providers that sell both but are seeing iPhones losing to Android 2.5-to-1??

post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


More people would rather get a 3GS than the most expensive, fastest, newest Android.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

bahahahahahhah!!!

 

Are you friggin kidding me? Only as a between contract replacement!

 

I love me my Apple products but the only reason I'd take a free 3GS over the newest and fastest Android would be because I chose the Apple Ecosytem.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

This reporrt says otherwise. 

 

I would take a 3gs to a LG 500 but I will take a Galaxy S II to a 3gs any day. I think most consumers who plan on using the smart phone will. The 3gs is even compared to some low end androids not much to brag about. The Camera sucks and no flash which is what a lot of people are buying phones for now. Coupled with the limited storage available for the current 3gs 8gb compared to getting a low end android that has a 5mp camera with flash and 4gbs on the phone and you can buy a 16gb memory card on the side. The 3gs was a good phone but technology has moved beyond it.

 

On the US carriers that sell it the Samsung Galaxy S II is the number 1 or 2 phones in terms of sells. The iPhone 4s is the number one where it is number two. Are you telling me all those people got the GSII because there was no 3Gs in stock at the time?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

All right, could you show me the most recent list of top selling phones? Have things changed since I last read?

 

In the interest of truth, the Samsung Galaxy SII is outselling the Apple iPhone 3GS.  The iPhone 3GS was outselling every Android-based smartphone as recently as August 2011 although the iPhone 3GS was a two year old design at the time.  The iPhone 4 was still a top three selling smartphone on AT&T and Sprint until February 2012 despite a 18 month old design at the time.  In fact, the iPhone 4 was still a top three selling smartphone at Sprint as recently as the end of the last report in March.  I can only imagine what happens if when the iPhone 4 becomes the $0.01 Apple smartphone.

 

 

Screen-Shot-2012-01-16-at-8.41.15-PM.png

 

US_Carrier_smartphone_share-620x336.jpeg

 

 

 

 

I presume as far as Apple having the top three selling smartphones, the reference is this article on AppleInsider.  Anyway the data is analyzed, Apple has three very popular smartphones.  I don't see how this is anything but embarrassing for Google, HTC and Samsung.

 

 

 

12.02.23-comScore-1.jpg


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/24/12 at 3:14pm
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Apple is still leading in profits which what companies care about.  If it wants to gain significantly more market share (and that may not be a desirable thing if it cuts into profits), it needs to offer different size phones (ie a 4" iPhone 5 and a 3.5" 4s which very well may happen) and offer an inexpensive 3GS in markets where phones are not subsidized.


A 4.5" iPhone is needed to beat the competition. No one will by a small 3.5" screen that does not display enough.

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Is the iOS/Android disparity a shortcoming of Apple's distribution, or people actually picking Android phones over iPhones?  In every service provider I've seen stats on which sell both the iPhone 4S and the latest Android phones, iOS is ahead of Android.  But clearly there are a lot of Android sales SOMEwhere.  Where are they coming from?  Can the entire discrepancy be that China Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone?  Or are these all pre-paid phones?  Where are the providers that sell both but are seeing iPhones losing to Android 2.5-to-1??

 

 

Europe, Middle East and Asia.  EMEA.

 

An interesting note is that these are markets where Android-based smartphone ODMs are well established; HTC (Taiwan), Huawei (China), LG (South Korea), Samsung (South Korea), ZTE (China).  As I am sure you are well aware, the population of China is approximately 1.3 billion people.  Apple has yet to partner up with the country’s leading carrier, China Mobile; while Android-based smartphones are sold on virtually every carrier worldwide with new devices every month.


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/24/12 at 2:35pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post


A 4.5" iPhone is needed to beat the competition. No one will by a small 3.5" screen that does not display enough.

 

Why is a 4.5" iPhone needed to beat the competition?  Many people are purchasing the 3.5" iPhone 4S as this is the best selling smartphone on the market today.  As indicated previously, Apple sold all three most popular smartphone models in the United States and the top two as well as the fifth most popular smartphone models in Europe for 2011.


Edited by MacBook Pro - 5/24/12 at 2:35pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

 

Why is a 4.5" iPhone needed to beat the competition?  Many people are purchasing the 3.5" iPhone 4S as this is the best selling smartphone on the market today.  As indicated previously, Apple sold all three most popular smartphone models in the United States and the top two as well as the fifth most popular smartphone models in Europe for 2011.

I don't know, if Apple decides to stick with 3.5" will you buy a new one? A better question is do you think the current 3.5" is to small. I think so but I own a phone with a 5.3" display, it has completely ruined me for smaller displayed phones. The size is so useful that I'm leaving my normal tablet behind more and more and using my phone more, I even installed the tablet version of Android on it. Do you think surfing the internet is comfortable enough on a 3.5", have you ever not used the zoom feature to view a website.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Why is a 4.5" iPhone needed to beat the competition?  Many people are purchasing the 3.5" iPhone 4S as this is the best selling smartphone on the market today.

 

Point remains, *sigh* I'm pretty sure it's going to get bigger and there's not a thing anyone can do about it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #36 of 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

 

Why is a 4.5" iPhone needed to beat the competition?  Many people are purchasing the 3.5" iPhone 4S as this is the best selling smartphone on the market today.  As indicated previously, Apple sold all three most popular smartphone models in the United States and the top two as well as the fifth most popular smartphone models in Europe for 2011.

Just because people buy it does not mean they necessary like the 3.5" design.  I own two iPhone 4S' and I heavily desire a larger screen.  4.7" is probably overkill, but around 4" or slightly higher than that would be nice.  Glancing at a few online polls pertaining to preferred screen size, a 3.5" screen usually garners about 2-5% of the votes.

post #37 of 45
Apple still has enormous upside.

1) it is not yet available on all carriers worldwide. It's leaving about 40% of its market on the table. ( i.e it could increase by 60%)
2) it does not really have a cheap phone. The 3GS will probably decline to about $250 off contract and still run iOS 6. They may introduce the same form factor with a newer chip.
3) the new design will sell like hot cakes.

I believe it will be longer but not wider. The point about the iPhone is you can use it with one hand and use a thumb. The over large android screens are a fad

iOS in total includes the iPhone shipments and the iPad and iPod touch, adding another 20 million to that ecosystem. I expect ios to overtake android later on this year.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #38 of 45

iOS has always been ahead of Android in total sales, considering all iOS products, so there's nothing to "overtake". There is of course a possibility of falling behind but that wouldn't matter for anything other than bragging rights anyway..

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

was just about to say this.

 

If BB10 fails, they are screwed.

 

Its just so hard to stand out now. Everyone has a phone with a screen on the front and things that move around on the screen. To the average consumer its not really about OS anymore. Its about

 

A) Price

B) Brand Recognition

 

Price, well android wins that one. Sure, you can get a free 3gs, but the fact that its the 'really old one' people would rather get a 'new' cheap android, even though the cheap android phones have sucky screens, processors, gpu's and experiences over all.

 

The brand recognition market right now is all about who can market their device better IMO. And in this regard Apple is light years ahead.

As part of Apple's marketing, Apple is making a case for more reasons than the two you listed:

C) Ease of use

D) Siri voice assistance

E) Retina display

F) the Apple Ecosystem

 

While Apple is not marketing their outstanding Customer Service, anyone who does a bit of research will read where independent companies rate Apple's customer service as the best. So, for those who buy on price only, they likely have very mild needs for a smartphone: make calls, take photos, and check Facebook. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

I got the Windows Phone because I wasn't seeing much innovation in the iOS (my opinion mind you).

 

With the release of the Windows Phones beginning of Q2, a three-horse race is what a lot of consumers and marketers are looking for. Pity we have to wait another couple of months to see those stats.

 
 

You may have missed it but the Nokia/Windows phone stumbled out of the gate, broke it's leg and rolled over and killed the jocky. It's back to a two-horse race, if it ever was a three-horse race.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS grows to 23% of worldwide smartphone shipments