or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Head of Apple in Europe, Middle East & Africa resigns - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head of Apple in Europe, Middle East & Africa resigns - report

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Pascal Cagni, Apple's vice president of operations in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, has left the company, according to a new report.

French newspaper Le Figaro revealed the departure on Thursday (translation, via CNet), citing an unnamed source. No reason was given for his alleged departure.

Cagni first joined Apple in 2000, and was reportedly personally sought by the company's then-CEO, Steve Jobs. During his time at Apple, he was responsible for sales of the company's products in hundreds of countries in the region.

Sales in the EMEA region reached nearly 28 billion euros last year under Cagni's watch. He launched Apple's retail stores across Europe, and was also said to have been involved in the development of the iPhone, iPod, and App Store.

Prior to joining Apple a dozen years ago, Cagni was the vice president of consumer products at Packard Bell Europe. He also worked at Compaq Computer and Software Publishing Corporation.
post #2 of 41

You know what this means, right TS?!!

 

The second rat to leave the sinking ship!
 

[if that's what someone was actually thinking... don't bother posting... I've saved you the trouble... thank me later for keeping you from looking stupid]


Edited by island hermit - 5/24/12 at 10:57am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
You know what this means, right TS?!!

 

The first rat to leave the sinking ship!

 

Bertrand Serlet was the first to leave the ship… 

 

They still don't have a new VP of OS X. Take that as you will…

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You know what this means, right TS?!!

 

The first rat to leave the sinking ship!
 

 

Boy...you nailed that one didn't you.  Problem is, 3 errors stated as fact that can't be substantiated.

 

  1. You know what is behind it.
  2. He is a proven rat.
  3. The ship is sinking.

 

Can you enlighten us on the factual information the comments are based on?

 

Tom

post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Bertrand Serlet was the first to leave the ship… 

 

They still don't have a new VP of OS X. Take that as you will…

 

Duly noted and corrected...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

Boy...you nailed that one didn't you.  Problem is, 3 errors stated as fact that can't be substantiated.

 

  1. You know what is behind it.
  2. He is a proven rat.
  3. The ship is sinking.

 

Can you enlighten us on the factual information the comments are based on?

 

Tom


My original post edited for clarity.

 

[boy you guys are fast... hmmmm... okay, maybe I'm slow.]

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

 

Boy...you nailed that one didn't you.  Problem is, 3 errors stated as fact that can't be substantiated.

 

  1. You know what is behind it.
  2. He is a proven rat.
  3. The ship is sinking.

 

Can you enlighten us on the factual information the comments are based on?

 

Tom

 

I don't think it could have been more obvious that he was being sarcastic. He was mocking Tallest Ski, who is constantly and frantically looking for 'signs' that Apple is sinking into  death spiral. Another one of these signs is if the next iPhone screen is not precisely 3.5", which will clearly mean that Apple is finished. 

post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

...Another one of these signs is if the next iPhone screen is not precisely 3.5", which will clearly mean that Apple is finished. 

 

It would be nice for a little bigger screen.  I would assume that they won't go to much bigger if they are going to come out with a 7" range device.  Need to keep the different product classes separate.

post #9 of 41
Quote:
During his time at Apple, he was responsible for sales of the company's products in hundreds of countries in the region.

While his job is super important, I'm sure, there are only about 200 countries on the planet.
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Another one of these signs is if the next iPhone screen is not precisely 3.5", which will clearly mean that Apple is finished. 

 

3.75" = slow demise

 

4.00" = slow painful demise

 

4.25" = client capitulation, millions of iPhones become landfill within 1 month

 

4.50" = Apple closes doors immediately after announcement

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #11 of 41
I think the reason is Tim had lunch with him and stole his French fries
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceborer View Post

Quote:
During his time at Apple, he was responsible for sales of the company's products in hundreds of countries in the region.
While his job is super important, I'm sure, there are only about 200 countries on the planet.

 

195 plus Taiwan (but that's an argument for another day)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

I think the reason is Tim had lunch with him and stole his French fries

 

Actually, he unknowingly took some of Tim's fries thinking that it was just another Apple employee in the cafeteria. Tim met up with him later in the elevator.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Another one of these signs is if the next iPhone screen is not precisely 3.5", which will clearly mean that Apple is finished. 

 

3.75" = slow demise

 

4.00" = slow painful demise

 

4.25" = client capitulation, millions of iPhones become landfill within 1 month

 

4.50" = Apple closes doors immediately after announcement

Hey, thanks!  It is nice to have Armageddon so carefully calibrated.

post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuk View Post

I think the reason is Tim had lunch with him and stole his French fries

 

There will be a fee for re-using my joke from another thread.

post #16 of 41

I heard he was going to be replaced by Ada.

post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

3.75" = slow demise

 

4.00" = slow painful demise

 

4.25" = client capitulation, millions of iPhones become landfill within 1 month

 

4.50" = Apple closes doors immediately after announcement

 

The funny thing is that your largest size is still 0.8" smaller than one of the most popular Android handsets out there (the Note @ 5.3"). 

post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Bertrand Serlet was the first to leave the ship… 

 

They still don't have a new VP of OS X. Take that as you will…

 

They don't need one. Bertrand [great man to work around] with his long tenure at NeXT and later Apple naturally received that status. Federighi will eventually, if he wants it.

post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceborer View Post

Quote:
During his time at Apple, he was responsible for sales of the company's products in hundreds of countries in the region.
While his job is super important, I'm sure, there are only about 200 countries on the planet.

 

Perhaps he was sacked for making up countries? He probably thought 'They're Americans, they won't know'!

Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
I don't think it could have been more obvious that he was being sarcastic. He was mocking Tallest Ski, who is constantly and frantically looking for 'signs' that Apple is sinking into  death spiral.

 

Uh, no… I'm not… Nor have I ever been. You're confusing me with someone you've created in your mind.

 

Quote:
Another one of these signs is if the next iPhone screen is not precisely 3.5", which will clearly mean that Apple is finished. 

 

Again, you're wrong. If they name the next iPhone "iPhone 5", it will be a sign of the ride down the hill.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

 

Perhaps he was sacked for making up countries? He probably thought 'They're Americans, they won't know'!


I love it.  I bet the one that did him in was "Nooneeverreadsmymemosistan."

post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Uh, no… I'm not… Nor have I ever been. You're confusing me with someone you've created in your mind.

 

 

Again, you're wrong. If they name the next iPhone "iPhone 5", it will be a sign of the ride down the hill.

 

Well, I was thinking of mentioning that but didn't want to embarrass you further. I'm sure everyone here is fully aware of your view, as hilariously ridiculous as it is.  I often wonder if you're a real person of if you're a joke character that doesn't actually believe a word he says. Every single one of your pists is so hubristic, in that instead of using terminology like 'I don't think iPhone 5 would be the best choice of name', it's some garbage stated as fact: 'it will be a side of the ride down the hill'. How you became a mod, I have no clue. 


Edited by Slurpy - 5/24/12 at 12:13pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

 

Perhaps he was sacked for making up countries? He probably thought 'They're Americans, they won't know'!

 

I was once in New York on vacation, and was drinking in a bar near Wall Street, and my friend and me were discussing how many countries there were.

 

Not knowing the answer, we decided to start asking locals.  One thought there were, "maybe 10,000" and another said, "around 1,000,000", so you may be onto something there.

 

Though this was near Wall Street.  They were probably bankers, and that's a group of people with a track record of not being able to count.

post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I heard he was going to be replaced by Ada.

 

Ahh... the good Countess of Lovelace... Totally off the mark, though -- the replacement will be Algore... AKA Algol  :)

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

 

Perhaps he was sacked for making up countries? He probably thought 'They're Americans, they won't know'!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post


I love it.  I bet the one that did him in was "Nooneeverreadsmymemosistan."

 

Now, just stop or i'll wet my... oops, gotta' go...

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
How you became a mod, I have no clue. 

 

Probably because I'm not a lying troll that falsifies other users' positions through his inability to parse sarcastic faux-Poe posts from genuine belief.

 

And I'd be happy to explain to you why a product's name is as strong an indicator of anything as its specs… provided you actually took me seriously and had an open mind.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

Well, I was thinking of mentioning that but didn't want to embarrass you further. I'm sure everyone here is fully aware of your view, as hilariously ridiculous as it is.  I often wonder if you're a real person of if you're a joke character that doesn't actually believe a word he says. Every single one of your pists is so hubristic, in that instead of using terminology like 'I don't think iPhone 5 would be the best choice of name', it's some garbage stated as fact: 'it will be a side of the ride down the hill'. How you became a mod, I have no clue. 

If Apple starts catering to the lowest common denominator who is both unable to count, nor quantify what is inside of their products, it is indeed a sign of declination.

 

How he became a mod? Well, unlike most of the riff raff that has caked up these boards in the last 6 months, he is able to form coherent thoughts. I admit, he has rubbed me wrong in the past, but unlike you and your ilk, he actually forms credible opinions based on critical thinking and a fairly accurate technical understanding of what is being discussed. Otherwise, I'd say that for the most part, he "gets it" and, like me and many others, has grown impatient by the mass of reactionary pseudo-geeks that seem more desperate than any Apple fanboys I've known to base their identity around the handset in their pocket.

post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

If Apple starts catering to the lowest common denominator who is both unable to count, nor quantify what is inside of their products, it is indeed a sign of declination.

 

How he became a mod? Well, unlike most of the riff raff that has caked up these boards in the last 6 months, he is able to form coherent thoughts. I admit, he has rubbed me wrong in the past, but unlike you and your ilk, he actually forms credible opinions based on critical thinking and a fairly accurate technical understanding of what is being discussed. Otherwise, I'd say that for the most part, he "gets it" and, like me and many others, has grown impatient by the mass of reactionary pseudo-geeks that seem more desperate than any Apple fanboys I've known to base their identity around the handset in their pocket.

 

Hey! Slow down big guy! Slurpy is one of the better contributors on this forum!

 

[and I'm not being sarcastic]

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Hey! Slow down big guy! Slurpy is one of the better contributors on this forum!

 

[and I'm not being sarcastic]

 

I concur.  Slurpy seems to be one of the rare breed who are neither a fan boy or a hater.

post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

I concur.  Slurpy seems to be one of the rare breed who are neither a fan boy or a hater.

I would have to agree, Slurpy generally seems to make very reasonable points (though while I agree Tallest Skil may sometimes go a bit overboard, I haven't found it so bad that he deserved all that was just said).

 

By the way, congratulations PaulMJohnson on your 1000th post! Not sure what your prize is... but congrats!

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I would have to agree, Slurpy generally seems to make very reasonable points (though while I agree Tallest Skil may sometimes go a bit overboard, I haven't found it so bad that he deserved all that was just said).

 

By the way, congratulations PaulMJohnson on your 1000th post! Not sure what your prize is... but congrats!

 

He gets to have lunch with Tim!

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

He gets to have lunch with Tim!

Just keep an eye on your fries.

post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Probably because I'm not a lying troll that falsifies other users' positions through his inability to parse sarcastic faux-Poe posts from genuine belief.

 

And I'd be happy to explain to you why a product's name is as strong an indicator of anything as its specs… provided you actually took me seriously and had an open mind.

 

With all due respect, you're pretty much the pinnacle of closed-mindedness on this board, along with irrationality. I don't need you lecturing me on open-mindedness, nor on your thoughts of product names, thanks. I've seen what you contribute to that discussion, and it's nothing worth hearing again, although I don't doubt that you'd be 'happy' to type that drivel for the 54,295th time. And no, I don't take you seriously, for good reason, because your posts don't deserve to be taken seriously.

 

Trust me, I'm not the only one on this board with that opinion, as I've seen how many people you incessantly irritate with your non-stop lecturing, and proclamations of 'facts' about what Apple needs to do so as not to fall into the abyss, and your non-stop threats of how you'll be 'finished' with them if if they do X or Y, which are nothing more but your extremely niche, disconnected opinions. Do you know the definition of a 'mod'? It's a 'moderator', someone who is supposed to 'moderate' the discussion. You do the opposite. 

 

Please, give us your incredible insight on how Apple needs to design it's next phone again to survive, because it must be truly valuable considering the last iPhone you owned was the 1st one they ever made, bearing no resemblance to the features, capabilities, and performance of their more recent offerings. That's what I mean by 'disconnected from reality'. I'm harsh, because you constantly mock others on this forum while pretending you hold some type of special logic, using self-righteous proclamations of fact, and just because you have a million posts or the title of a mod that doesn't make it ok.  As for your opinion of me, at least your consistent with your disconnection and history of being wrong, as others here clearly don't share your view. Your posts show a consistent trend that make it blatant that you have no idea what an average person cares about and is looking for, yet Apple must accomodate your strange whims so as to not fall off a cliff. ie. you;re perfectly happy going back to your original iPhone, because 'all your apps' work on it. Last I checked, almost nothing on the appstore is still compatible with the 1st gen iPhone. A prime example of disconnection, and how you're willing to do some extreme, masochistic things that noone else would, yet you pretend to speak for the masses. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Hey! Slow down big guy! Slurpy is one of the better contributors on this forum!

 

[and I'm not being sarcastic]

 

Thanks. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

I concur.  Slurpy seems to be one of the rare breed who are neither a fan boy or a hater.

 

Thanks again. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I would have to agree, Slurpy generally seems to make very reasonable points (though while I agree Tallest Skil may sometimes go a bit overboard, I haven't found it so bad that he deserved all that was just said).

 

..and again. 


Edited by Slurpy - 5/24/12 at 2:58pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I would have to agree, Slurpy generally seems to make very reasonable points (though while I agree Tallest Skil may sometimes go a bit overboard, I haven't found it so bad that he deserved all that was just said).

 

By the way, congratulations PaulMJohnson on your 1000th post! Not sure what your prize is... but congrats!

 

Well thank you very much.

 

It only took me three years - God knows how Solipsism manages 1000 posts every few weeks.......!

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

Well thank you very much.

 

It only took me three years - God knows how Solipsism manages 1000 posts every few weeks.......!

 

Solipsism is actually an iRobot that Jony Ive designed along with Steve and it sits in Ive's design studio to keep him company. Jony recently updated the iRobot to SolipsismX.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

..and again. 

 

I back Slurpy on this one also ;)

post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

 

Well thank you very much.

 

It only took me three years - God knows how Solipsism manages 1000 posts every few weeks.......!

 

Maybe it means solipsism is true... in one's own mind, anything would become possible, right? But he can't waste all that precious time and energy in creating posts for peripheral personas, which is why we lag so far behind.

post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

With all due respect, you're pretty much the pinnacle of closed-mindedness on this board, along with irrationality. I don't need you lecturing me on open-mindedness, nor on your thoughts of product names, thanks. I've seen what you contribute to that discussion, and it's nothing worth hearing again, although I don't doubt that you'd be 'happy' to type that drivel for the 54,295th time. And no, I don't take you seriously, for good reason, because your posts don't deserve to be taken seriously.

 

Trust me, I'm not the only one on this board with that opinion, as I've seen how many people you incessantly irritate with your non-stop lecturing, and proclamations of 'facts' about what Apple needs to do so as not to fall into the abyss, and your non-stop threats of how you'll be 'finished' with them if if they do X or Y, which are nothing more but your extremely niche, disconnected opinions. Do you know the definition of a 'mod'? It's a 'moderator', someone who is supposed to 'moderate' the discussion. You do the opposite. 

 

Please, give us your incredible insight on how Apple needs to design it's next phone again to survive, because it must be truly valuable considering the last iPhone you owned was the 1st one they ever made, bearing no resemblance to the features, capabilities, and performance of their more recent offerings. That's what I mean by 'disconnected from reality'. I'm harsh, because you constantly mock others on this forum while pretending you hold some type of special logic, using self-righteous proclamations of fact, and just because you have a million posts or the title of a mod that doesn't make it ok.  As for your opinion of me, at least your consistent with your disconnection and history of being wrong, as others here clearly don't share your view. Your posts show a consistent trend that make it blatant that you have no idea what an average person cares about and is looking for, yet Apple must accomodate your strange whims so as to not fall off a cliff. ie. you;re perfectly happy going back to your original iPhone, because 'all your apps' work on it. Last I checked, almost nothing on the appstore is still compatible with the 1st gen iPhone. A prime example of disconnection, and how you're willing to do some extreme, masochistic things that noone else would, yet you pretend to speak for the masses. 

 

 

Thanks. 

 

Thanks again. 

..and again. 

Well, I agree that I shouldn't have lumped him in with some of the others; that was hasty of me. I do think his assessment of Tallest Skil is unfair, and that overall, Tallest Skil offers a lot of great input. Perhaps he is overbearing at times, but I'm a big boy, so I can handle it.

 

Further, I think it is a worthy notion that one should use the hardware until it has expired, and speaks to how well even the first gen. iPhone has matured. There is still a great deal of iOS 3.x compatible software, which admittedly does dwindle more by the day. Tallest Skil doesn't seem to bitch to Apple or others that they shouldn't continue to develop the platform, nor that Apple somehow owes him something as a first gen. device user. If I have to choose between diplomacy and eccentricity, I'll side with the latter. Here's to the crazy ones.


Edited by Slang4Art - 5/24/12 at 3:53pm
post #39 of 41

I'm glad Tallest Skil is here. We need more like him.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 41

I read on a french blog that Cagni was leaving Apple to start a career in politics and had been pondering such a move for quite a time. He was renowned for his business skills but perceived by many EU employees as quite authoritative at times. In France, he is at least in part responsible for heated relations between Apple and some bloggers and possibly tense relations with 2 Apple Premium Resellers groups.

 

It was what was written on french Macbidouille.fr 's blog but I didn't see any confirmation of this info elsewhere. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Head of Apple in Europe, Middle East & Africa resigns - report