or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac Pro petition gains traction as pro users seek information

Mac Pro petition gains traction as pro users seek information - Page 6

post #201 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Besides... wouldn't Apple's own software engineers prefer using a 12-core Mac Pro? Or are they gonna be happy moving from a 12-core workstation down to a quad-core iMac?

Of course not, it's written in linux on a Dell workstation :p

post #202 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip 
Apple also knows how much money the Mac Pro makes them... and as long as it's not losing money... I don't see why they would kill the Mac Pro. They still have customers.

We can put an upper bound on the amount:

5% of all Mac models = 0.05 x 5 million per quarter = 250k per quarter @ $1000 margins = $250m
Apple's profit last quarter = $11.6b so the Mac Pro contributes at most 2% to Apple's profits now

The same reasoning applies to all the Macs though:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226579/Macs_contribute_record_low_13_to_Apple_s_revenue

If it's still making money, it sustains those jobs and the Mac OS feeds into iOS - iOS developers aren't using PCs or iOS devices.

However, a lot of tasks that were previously thought to be exclusive to the Pro no longer are. The Pro fans talk about the lower Mac models getting too hot and 'burning out' or shutting down but it's a load of baloney/FUD. A great number of people use the cheaper models for high-value and high-resource (i.e professional) tasks and this is evident from their sales volume.

The Mac Pro has unquestionable design benefits such as running cool, having expansion, offering up to 3x the performance of the iMac but the lower models have the benefit of costing much less money. While high-value industry workers can sometimes afford the expense, it's not always the case nor is it essential. Some of the smartest and most talented people in the world have to work on shoe-string budgets and this can contribute to some of their best achievements. Educational funding is rarely generous enough that researchers get the best equipment. R&D happens before you start making money.

Only Apple knows what's selling and their route ahead. You can see the graph above though and the rising vectors. Like it or not, along the way, there will be casualties in Apple's line, the only question is the timing. The Xserve was the first but it won't be the last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip 
If Apple does kill the Mac Pro... all those customers will run into the arms of HP or Dell.

I don't think they'd all jump ship. Many quad and maybe even 6-core owners would go to the iMacs.

Instead of killing it like the XServe, I suspect they'd ramp it down. Cull the models that people aren't buying - I personally suspect the Server model is for the chopping block - and just do that as time goes on.
post #203 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Only Apple knows what's selling and their route ahead. You can see the graph above though and the rising vectors. Like it or not, along the way, there will be casualties in Apple's line, the only question is the timing. The Xserve was the first but it won't be the last.
I don't think they'd all jump ship. Many quad and maybe even 6-core owners would go to the iMacs.
Instead of killing it like the XServe, I suspect they'd ramp it down. Cull the models that people aren't buying - I personally suspect the Server model is for the chopping block - and just do that as time goes on.

Right now they have a lot of odd configurations. The 8 core as an example is slower than the 6 in many workloads. If they consolidated but used the streamlined setup to keep the offered configurations competitive, that would work well. There is no true sever model. It's basically OSX server + second hard drive and 8GB of ram. You can configure that from the normal one, so cutting it really doesn't affect anyone as you can still buy the same configuration without the moniker. You can check for yourself. There's nothing unique about it beyond what I mentioned.

By the way, that's kind of a troll article as it only considers direct contributions to the bottom line. It doesn't consider internal use by Apple employees, IOS development, or contribution to their ecosystem. Saying you'd only lose those sales by dropping it is a fallacy, and they'd incur additional costs supporting Windows or Linux based IOS developer tools. I'm not even painting this as something bigger than it is. I dislike the way the article is presented.

Edited by hmm - 6/7/12 at 1:06pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac Pro petition gains traction as pro users seek information