or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Absinthe 2.0 jailbreaks most iDevices running iOS 5.1.1

Absinthe 2.0 jailbreaks most iDevices running iOS 5.1.1 - Page 3

post #81 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut View Post
…if it extended beyond trying

Which is defined as being what? It has to be an overarching definition. 

Quote:

…it's not piracy if you paid for it already or it's a free app.

Begging the question of why you'd go through Installous in the first place… 

Quote:
Furthermore, piracy enabling apps like Installous have uses that have nothing to do with piracy and can in some use cases actually help developers.

Enlighten us. What, pray tell, could Installous possibly do to "help developers"?

post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

How about you come work for me for 14 days unpaid. If I like your work I might hire you!

Ok, but instead of 14 days, how about 1 or two days. You'll pay for my travel, I'll provide a resume in advance, you can review it as well as an application I'll fill out with any questions, and you can interview me on the phone first. I'll meet with your team, show you my portfolio, and give examples of my work. Then if you approve, I'll start work, and you can fire me at will by only paying for the work that I've done.

That's pretty much how it works in real life (more or less).

Or (via Apple Store) how about you see my resume and list of references, and then decide to hire me with a lifetime contract without interviewing me or seeing if I can actually perform the job?
post #83 of 94
Quote:
Or (via Apple Store) how about you see my resume and list of references, and then decide to hire me with a lifetime contract without interviewing me or seeing if I can actually perform the job?

Except you can call the references, go view the past work, and validate the resume.

That'd be… read app reviews, the reviewers' screenshots, and take a look at the other apps created by the company and their reviews.

post #84 of 94

What exactly are you trying to do? Is it not letting you post your own content? Try writing your post without quoting and see what happens.

post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Hurray for SBSettings on my iPhone 4 again.... I'll be jailbreaking that again at the first opportunitity as I've been missing that easy access Bluetooth switch!

Won't be doing my iPad (3rd gen) though because as much as I'd love to get xbmc on it the f@#king Sky Go! app I use for watching sports while away from home has jailbreak detection in it and refuses to stream on jailbroken devices "for security reasons"...

Slightly off topic, but I wish they'd get a move on with Seas0npass for the 3rd gen AppleTV as that is crying out for xbmc.... I know, I know, it's not like they are being slow on purpose...

It looks like you can use that with a hack.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/iphone-jailbreaking-unlocking-customisation/1595353-sky-go-app-no-longer-working-jailbroken-iphones-now-fixed-how-too.html
Quote:
The old Sky Mobile TV app still works on jailbroken devices. This only works if you had the Sky Mobile TV app installed on your current device, so if you have upgraded since then your out of luck.

To get the Sky mobile TV app back onto your iPhone.

1) Open the "app store" app on your iPhone
2) Select "updates"
3) Select "purchased"
4) Scroll down the list and you will be able to re install the Sky mobile TV app

As an added bonus, ESPN works even if you are not currently subscribed to it 1biggrin.gif

To get Sky Go working on jailbroken devices

1) Start Cydia app
2) Manage
3) Sources
4) Edit
5) Add
6) Copy this address into the window http://n00neimp0rtant.dyndns.org/repo
7) After the repo has installed, search and install an app named XCON (version 25)
8) Your device will now respring and Sky Go will work 1biggrin.gif
post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is defined as being what? It has to be an overarching definition. 

Begging the question of why you'd go through Installous in the first place… 

Enlighten us. What, pray tell, could Installous possibly do to "help developers"?

It's weird because you replied to my comment apparently without reading the comment and then ask questions clearly mentioned in my comment.

The problem with your logic is that you're assuming piracy with intent of malice. You can define it however you want, but you're just dead wrong if you're assuming all piracy is done with malice or that all piracy robs the developer.

As far as why someone would go through Installous in the first place... see the 3 bullet points I mentioned in the comment you replied to... Points 2 and 3 are reasons and examples of zero malice.. that is, 2) downloading a previous version of an app that works where the new version doesn't due to some bug, or 3) to download a fixed version of an abandoned app. If either one of those occur where the app was already paid for or was free anyway, then who loses? What harm is done? Where is the malice?

Yes, Installous actually can help developers. Every app that I tried before I bought was revenue that the developer would never have received if I didn't have that opportunity first. A couple of other situations occurred where their new app had bugs and my only option was to switch to another app that had the functionality I needed to downgrade through Installous until fixes in the new app were made. In those cases, the developer stuck with me as a customer because I had the ability to downgrade through Installous.

Piracy with malice is clearly stealing an app that you would've paid for, but it's incredibly narrow minded to not see how that doesn't apply to all uses of Installous, and certainly has very little to do with jailbreaking as a whole.
post #87 of 94
Quote:
…you're just dead wrong if you're assuming all piracy is done with malice or that all piracy robs the developer.

I think we're done here. lol.gif

Quote:
As far as why someone would go through Installous in the first place... see the 3 bullet points I mentioned in the comment you replied to...

The ones that have already been refuted? Why?

post #88 of 94
Quote:

Except you can call the references, go view the past work, and validate the resume.

That'd be… read app reviews, the reviewers' screenshots, and take a look at the other apps created by the company and their reviews.

Ok, so after calling my references, reviewing past work and validating the resume, are you prepared to hire the candidate with a lifetime contract? Most people aren't.

Also, unlike an app, you can ask for more information, you can interview, and do everything to make proper comparisons before any obligation. You are essentially trying before buying. You're not asking the candidate to do any work for free, but likewise, trials for apps shouldn't be enabled for "free work". That would be piracy with malice.
post #89 of 94
Quote:
Ok, so after calling my references, reviewing past work and validating the resume, are you prepared to hire the candidate with a lifetime contract? Most people aren't.

Your analogy remains faulty. You're not taking on a "lifetime contract". Delete the app if you don't like it.

Quote:
Also, unlike an app, you can ask for more information, you can interview, and do everything to make proper comparisons before any obligation.

I just explained that this is perfectly possible with apps.

post #90 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

And que the comments about how every single person jailbreaks so that they can steal apps....

Out of curiosity I added one of those repositories once that carry hacked apps and what I noticed is 90 percent of those apps were not only older versions but in most cases by a few generations. Not only that but I didn't see many desirable apps. Maybe there are better repositories but from what I've seen it's not worth anyones time. Jail Break is a God send though and as far as I'm concerned without it iOS would be to limited for my taste. Plus the number of great apps that are not aloud in the normal store are becoming to numerous to ignore anymore. Just the terminal stuff is more then a reason, Midnight Commander for instance.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #91 of 94
Quote:

Your analogy remains faulty. You're not taking on a "lifetime contract". Delete the app if you don't like it.

I just explained that this is perfectly possible with apps.

Uh, this wasn't my analogy. I'm pointing out the flaws in the analogy.

Oh, so you get your money back when you delete the app? No. You pay for the app, and that's it. An employee can be terminated at will with payment only for the work performed. An app can only be deleted and the full payment has already been made despite not wanting to use it or even being able to use it in some cases.

No, your explanation only states that you can see what the developer has chosen to put on the description, and what comments people may have left. How exactly to you get to see how reliable an app is with your specific configuration or needs? How exactly do you get to interview the developer in the app store?

Your narrow-mindedness is exceptional if you think that all information is available in the app store and that the option for developers to have trial periods wouldn't be helpful for both developers and consumers.
post #92 of 94
Quote:

I think we're done here. lol.gif

The ones that have already been refuted? Why?

How have they been refuted?

How does downloading a previous version of an app that has already been paid for hurt the developer or cause harm to anyone else in any way?

How does downloading a fixed version of an abandoned app hurt the developer or cause harm to anyone else in any way?

How does trying an app to see if it works as promised, and then buying the app hurt the developer or cause harm to anyone else in any way?

Out of curiosity, how do you explain the large number of free apps (as in free in the app store) available in Installous? Why do you think they exist?

What exactly would be wrong with Apple allowing an optional trial flag to be set for developers to allow optional trial periods for their apps?
post #93 of 94
Quote:
Oh, so you get your money back when you delete the app? No.

Oh, you have to give your paychecks back when you get fired by the company? No.

Quote:
No, your explanation only states that you can see what the developer has chosen to put on the description, and what comments people may have left. How exactly to you get to see how reliable an app is with your specific configuration or needs?

By reading. reviews for. the applications. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be.

Quote:
Your narrow-mindedness is exceptional if you think that all information is available in the app store…

Fortunately, I don't.

post #94 of 94

Yay! Finally I can Jailbreak my Apple TV2 and install XBMC to watch all my ripped content without transcoding from my NAS. Good Times!  Now I can dump the WDTVLive .. just horrible to use.

BTW, anyone wanting to stream ripped content from a SAMBA share on a NAS to iPhone/iPad without transcoding (or client apps/etc.) should use 'Good Player' - definitely worth the £2.99 or whatever it was, and the only player I found for the iPhone that doesn't need a client app on your Mac or whatever.  No jailbreaking required for that one.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Absinthe 2.0 jailbreaks most iDevices running iOS 5.1.1