or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Led by iOS, mobile devices now account for 20% of all internet traffic in U.S., Canada

Led by iOS, mobile devices now account for 20% of all internet traffic in U.S., Canada

post #1 of 25
According to a report from advertising network Chitika, the share of internet-connected mobile devices has risen to 20 percent in the U.S. and Canada, a large portion of which are Apple products like the iPhone and iPad.

While the lion's share of internet traffic is still being generated by desktops and laptops, the mobile sector has bolstered its presence showing that an increasing number of mobile data users are browsing the web and accessing internet-connected apps, reports All Things D.

According to sites linked to Chitika's network, PCs make up nearly 80 percent of all internet traffic, followed by smartphones and tablets with 14.6 percent and 5.6 percent, respectively. Broken down by sector, Windows users comprise the bulk of web traffic with 85 percent while Mac users trail with only a 13 percent share.

On the mobile device front, however, Apple continues to dominate with its iOS mobile operating system. The iPad crushes competitors as far as internet usage metrics are concerned, with users of Apple's ubiquitous device accounting for 95 percent of all tablet traffic.

The smartphone segment also finds Apple with a commanding lead as iPhone users amount to about 72 percent of traffic compared to Android's 26 percent. Interestingly, Windows Phone now accounts for one third as much traffic as RIM's BlackBerry despite having a drastically lower market share.

Interntet Share
Graph of U.S. and Canada internet traffic by device. | Data source: Chitika Insights

Just as iOS lends itself to internet access by offering an easy-to-use browser and connected apps, Windows Phone also excels in these areas. The statistics are indicative of BlackBerry users who may still be using devices that sport relatively small screens not optimized for web content viewing.

Friday's data looks to be congruous with a separate report from Chitika in April that found 71 percent of all mobile traffic originating from iOS devices.
post #2 of 25

The telecoms simultaneously raise all their data prices by $5 a month as a reward. Not collusion at all.

Interesting that they call laptops desktops.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #3 of 25

It's likely that Chitika has difficulty determining the difference between notebooks and desktop PCs based on their ad server logs. After all, the operating systems and web browsers are the same. A Lenovo Thinkpad and a Dell Inspiron would likely have similar identification strings.

On a similar note, it's unlikely that Chitika could tell the difference between my MacBook (Late 2006) and my Mac mini (Mid 2010), both of which are running OS X Lion and the latest version of Safari.

Mobile device operating systems identify themselves as such, as do the browsers.

Maybe there are specialized scripts that can be run to provide more granular information, but an web advertising firm like Chitika would not bother with such procedures (which would likely slow down ad delivery).

Edited by cvaldes1831 - 5/25/12 at 4:34pm
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The telecoms simultaneously raise all their data prices by $5 a month as a reward. Not collusion at all.

Supply and demand responses, in a fluid market, look remarkably like collusion.  Hard to make an actual determination.

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post
Supply and demand responses, in a fluid market, look remarkably like collusion.  Hard to make an actual determination.

Texts cost $0.00 for the carrier. Those zeroes repeat to infinity. At the beginning of last decade, prices went from $0.05 to $0.10 per. Now they're $0.20 per. They all went up at the same time.

Everything they do is collusion. It's on them to prove us wrong.

post #6 of 25

I would have thought it would be higher. I guess despite Apple's wishes, people still like their computers.

post #7 of 25
Quote:

Texts cost $0.00 for the carrier. Those zeroes repeat to infinity. At the beginning of last decade, prices went from $0.05 to $0.10 per. Now they're $0.20 per. They all went up at the same time.

No, it's not. The accuser has to prove guilt in the American legal system.

Besides, it's easy enough to do it without collusion - the airlines have done it for decades. One carrier announces that they're going to raise their price on xxx date. The other carriers can raise their price to match. If they don't the original carrier can rescind the announced price increase. Why collude when it's so easy to get the same result legally?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #8 of 25
Quote:

That is faulty logic.  You don't just get to make assertions and claim they are true until they are proven wrong.  That is a logical fallacy called "shifting the burden of proof".  The burden of proof (i.e., providing evidence that your claim is true) is on the person making the claim.  In this case it is you.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would have thought it would be higher. I guess despite Apple's wishes, people still like their computers.

The trend is the thing to watch. Check similar data several years ago. I suspect five years from now PCs will be the minority web traffic.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #10 of 25

Nice effective chart! The message I'm seeing is that Apple 'owns' about a quarter of internet usage, and growing. How fast? Are there chart data for 6 mths and a year ago so we extrapolate a bit? 

post #11 of 25

From the chart and text of the story, you'd be led to believe that (A) the ONLY laptops on the internet are Macs, and (B) ONLY desktop PCs surf the internet. Or (C) SOMETHING is missing from the chart.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Nice effective chart! The message I'm seeing is that Apple 'owns' about a quarter of internet usage, and growing. How fast? Are there chart data for 6 mths and a year ago so we extrapolate a bit? 

Nielsen reports that Android users now consume more data than iOS users, so it would seem Apple devices don't 'own' internet traffic, the devices are just used differently.  It would appear that Android users are consuming a lot more video than iOS users, which I think would tend to indicate that Android platforms are appealing to a younger audience.  http://gigaom.com/video/android-users-are-the-new-mobile-data-hogs/

So while the old farts are surfing the net on their iOS devices, checking the business reports and how their portfolios are doing, the kids are consuming media.

Also, as is usual with these sorts of articles, the figures are just for the US and not worldwide.

20508_data-usage-by-os.png

http://www.dailytech.com/Nielsen+Smartphone+Data+Usage+Continues+to+Skyrocket/article21945.htm

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Nielsen reports that Android users now consume more data than iOS users, so it would seem Apple devices don't 'own' internet traffic, the devices are just used differently.  It would appear that Android users are consuming a lot more video than iOS users, which I think would tend to indicate that Android platforms are appealing to a younger audience.  http://gigaom.com/video/android-users-are-the-new-mobile-data-hogs/

So while the old farts are surfing the net on their iOS devices, checking the business reports and how their portfolios are doing, the kids are consuming media.

Also, as is usual with these sorts of articles, the figures are just for the US and not worldwide.

LL

http://www.dailytech.com/Nielsen+Smartphone+Data+Usage+Continues+to+Skyrocket/article21945.htm

Note that the Nielsen article measures only a subset of Internet usage. It ignores WiFi and tracks only Internet access over the Cellular network.

It is possible that both sets of data are correct.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 25
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

That is faulty logic.  You don't just get to make assertions and claim they are true until they are proven wrong.  That is a logical fallacy called "shifting the burden of proof".  The burden of proof (i.e., providing evidence that your claim is true) is on the person making the claim.  In this case it is you.

balsy2001 - even moderators act like trolls, and hijack threads to once again shout their opinion! 

There are 4 national carriers, and many regional/local carriers that compete for our business, with varying plans to meet our needs. It's normal with people who have an axe to grind to cherry pick their examples. When I examine the financials for the top carriers, I don't see any of them making "monopoly" profits, so if they are colluding, they are sure ineffective. BTW - Apple addressed the text pricing issue with iMessage, which is brilliant. Time to cherry pick another example.

-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post
It's normal with people who have an axe to grind to cherry pick their examples.

So do you have an explanation for data prices? I'll go right ahead and cherry, apple, orange, and peach pick that.

post #16 of 25
Quote:

So do you have an explanation for data prices? I'll go right ahead and cherry, apple, orange, and peach pick that.

The explanation is simple: profit. The fact that they charge so much when there is very little cost to them doesn't mean they are colluding with other carriers it just means that they are all taking advantage of the customer. If the customer feels the prices are unfair they should stop using that service; it's what I did when iMessages arrived.

Now that doesn't mean the carriers aren't colluding but I've seen no evidence to suggest they are. They all analyse trends and often come to the same conclusions. Just look at how other countries have increased SMS/MMS prices. To say that the US carriers are colluding without evidence you'd also have to say that carriers between other countries are also colluding with each other despite that being pointless.

For years on forum I've been I've been suggesting the government should look into the high costs of SMS. I've usually made this comment after some politician gets on a tear about something silly.

BTW, there are costs associated with SMS. Now the direct data transmission costs for SMS are practically nil as the info is sent over the carrier channel that is always connecting your phone to the tower but the carriers have to store and process these SMS transmissions that are sent to other carrier's servers or sent directly sent to the user. That means servers. Since this is unfortunately still a popular method for sending short messages carriers have a lot of these. These are real costs! Now these costs are very minimal for the amount of data being sent, stored and processed but there are costs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
If the customer feels the prices are unfair they should stop using that service; it's what I did when iMessages arrived.

The difference, whether it be texts or data, is there's no alternative. There's no incentive for the telecoms to lower prices, because people can't just go to a competitor… because they have the same prices. It's meaningless to all of them.

post #18 of 25
Quote:

The difference, whether it be texts or data, is there's no alternative. There's no incentive for the telecoms to lower prices, because people can't just go to a competitor… because they have the same prices. It's meaningless to all of them.

Which is why i think there needs to be an investigation on the matter but so far my wishes here are not felt by most in power save for Senator Herb Kohl (D) of Wisconsin who sent letters to the major carriers to explain the price hike back in 2008*. I don't recall if he received any responses but I assume my inability to recall any means that if he did they were just circuitous fluff that didn't actually answer any of his concerns.

Bottom line (and what the carriers don't tell you): a single SMS message can negate the need for a phone call that could last a couple minutes. You add together several SMS messages between many people and you can see that they could be affected by this. Since text messaging of all sorts became more entrenched I know I certainly talk on the phone less. I have AT&T's smallest voice plan and still have several thousand roll over minutes saved up for the past year.

* Wow! I remember having been concerned about SMS prices long before Kohl sent his letters.

post #19 of 25
Quote:

Given your response and other comments in this thread, I'll stand by my original comments. 

-JD
-JD
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawso View Post
Given your response and other comments in this thread, I'll stand by my original comments. 

Yes, yes; your point is your point. It won't change the minds of the people who know they're being wronged by the telecoms.

post #21 of 25
Quote:

Yes, yes; your point is your point. It won't change the minds of the people who know they're being wronged by the telecoms.

If you text with the same person all the time, such as a family member, and you can't use iMessage for whatever reason, you might consider using Skype. The text feature works really well and it only costs you a tiny bit of data usage. I have unlimited text on my iPhone which is only $20 I think from AT&T. If you send lots of texts every month getting unlimited might be worth it. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

20508_data-usage-by-os.png

When the operating system market share is considered, Android Internet traffic is shameful.

Apple iPhone (iOS) generates 84% of the Internet traffic of Android OS although Apple iOS market share is only 60% of Android OS market share.  Thus, Apple iPhones generate a disproportionately large amount of Internet traffic.

post #23 of 25
Quote:

http://donemewrong.com/

-JD
-JD
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you text with the same person all the time, such as a family member, and you can't use iMessage for whatever reason, you might consider using Skype. The text feature works really well and it only costs you a tiny bit of data usage. I have unlimited text on my iPhone which is only $20 I think from AT&T. If you send lots of texts every month getting unlimited might be worth it. 
Quote:

AT&T's pricing is extortionate, but fortunately, I have an alternative. My contract runs out in late June and I'm switching to Straight Talk. $45 for unlimited calls, text, and data - and it uses AT&T's network so I don't lose network coverage. That's less than 1/2 of what I'm paying A&T for a worse plan.

The only downside is that I'll have to buy my own phone without subsidy, but when you consider resale value of my existing phone, I'll pay for it in a few months rather than 2 years.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 25

"Friday's data looks to be congruous with a separate report from Chitika in April that found 71 percent of all mobile traffic originating from iOS devices.

Apparently someone has the definition of "congruous" confused. In Chitika's April report, iPhone and Android both averaged the same at around 25% of the total mobile traffic. Now this month (only one month later), iPhone beats out Android nearly 3 to 1 in traffic. None of the other previous data points (like iPad beating out iPhone) seem to be reflected in this latest report either...

Unless the data provided by Chitika in April was drastically atypical, I have a hard time taking their data seriously, as it always seems to be inconsistent...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Led by iOS, mobile devices now account for 20% of all internet traffic in U.S., Canada