or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple reportedly manufacturing test batch of first smart TVs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reportedly manufacturing test batch of first smart TVs - Page 3

post #81 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
Smartphones?
Tablets?
Mp3 players?
All established markets before Apple. Albeit they were small and some (tablet) were kind of non-existent, but there was a market of them all before Apple.

 

Which, if you'll read my post, is what I said. They were not established markets.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #82 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

27" and 36" are both far too small for a TV set.  Anything below 50" is currently being sold as "small."

That's subjective. And it all depends on the layout and viewing distance. What's good for one may not be for another. I have a 37" and sit 12' away and think it suits the bill. Maybe could be a sidge larger but it works fine for me.
post #83 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

hasn't apple's motto always been if they can't improve on something they won't do it? I'm excited to see what they do in the TV space. Whenever I think they can't surprise or wow me they do.

I've done it, you must be on ATV 1.0 or something.
post #84 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
I've done it, you must be on ATV 1.0 or something.

 

You may have quoted the wrong post. Did you mean the one about being able to buy things from the Apple TV?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #85 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which, if you'll read my post, is what I said. They were not established markets.
Oh I read it, still disagree.

Palm, blackberry and the equivalent Motorola smart phones were all the rage before the iPhone. Very established market. Not to mention cell phones in general.

Mp3 players were all over the place before the iPod. I'll even go as far to say even cd players with mp3 capability was quite established prior to the iPod. Counts as a digital music player.

Granted tablets were around but not huge unless you count the ones that did full OS. So I'll give you that one 1wink.gif

To me, one can call a market establish by saturation, it doesn't have to be the highest of quality but if there's enough of it out there, it can still be an established pile of sh!t
post #86 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
To me, one can call a market establish by saturation, it doesn't have to be the highest of quality but if there's enough of it out there, it can still be an established pile of sh!t

 

And none of the three markets you listed meet that criteria, which happens to be my criteria for determining established markets and the crux of the entire argument.


Everyone that wants a TV has a TV. This was nowhere near the case for PMPs, smartphones, or tablets.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #87 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You may have quoted the wrong post. Did you mean the one about being able to buy things from the Apple TV?
Yes. This site, my iPad and the Chinese firewall are making my posting a bit troublesome. Probably tapped the wrong post while page ws uploading.
post #88 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And none of the three markets you listed meet that criteria, which happens to be my criteria for determining established markets and the crux of the entire argument.


Everyone that wants a TV has a TV. This was nowhere near the case for PMPs, smartphones, or tablets.

I disagree still :P

Let me google you a couple things:

Established Market=[=http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=strict&client=safari&tbo=u&q=established+market&tbs=dfn:1&sa=X&ei=mu7ET_S1A4O6iQfBqenDCg&ved=0CFkQkQ4&biw=768&bih=900][/]

PMP=[=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_media_player][/]

Smartphone history (re: BB, Palm! Windows CE=[=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_phones][/]
post #89 of 101

 

You keep making my case for me… Either we're on the same side and you're making a joke that I'm not getting or you're not reading the links you're sending me.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #90 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And none of the three markets you listed meet that criteria, which happens to be my criteria for determining established markets and the crux of the entire argument.


Everyone that wants a TV has a TV. This was nowhere near the case for PMPs, smartphones, or tablets.

MP3 players were all over the place. Before the iPhone, smartphones were of little use to most people, the internet was dreadful and most of the apps were business oriented. Apple introduced a smartphone for evekdryone not just businessmen.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You keep making my case for me… Either we're on the same side and you're making a joke that I'm not getting or you're not reading the links you're sending me.

Your original statement was that Apple has never entered an established market.

I think we disagree on the definition of an established market.
The definition I sent was clear to me. "a product or service that is accepted by the majority of organizations to be necessary...". In short, a product that has a good following already. Which my point exactly. You might be thinking these products were still in the "emerging market" phase, but I argue against. There is no time frame for a market to become established, unless you can google one up for me.

Smart phones were in mainstream sice 2002, 5 years before the iPhone. I'd say that's pretty established. BB, Palm and MS phones were everything before the iPhone. Especially in the enterprise market. For a product to take over in enterprise, it's pretty well established.

Mp3 players, including cd/mp3 since 1998...heck even my 1998 Sony DVD player played digital audio files...all in mainstream and established before the iPod. Creative Nomad or Sony Mp3 walkman not big enough players in the market? I'd say the ability to play digital content in a portable manner had been available on many devices prior to the iPod. Perhaps no major battles for #1 before the iPod, but that's a technicality. The fact is they were well established. Jobs was even quoted in his bio with something like (to paraphrase): 'there were already mp3 players out there but they all sucked'.

So I'd say to state that Apple has never entered an established market would be false.

(disagree)
post #92 of 101

So here's one thing I don't think anybody has talked about yet. Let's say that Apple does being selling a range of TV's, whatever features they might have, that are in the 42"-55" range. Now the boxes for those TV's are going to be fairly large so how are they going to expect customers to get them home from the stores. Most of the Apple stores are in malls or in locations where parking is not necessarily close to the entrance to the store. Have you ever tried to lug a 27" iMac through a Mall to the parking lot? Can you imagine trying to lug a 55" TV to your car?!? 

post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by troehl View Post
Now the boxes for those TV's are going to be fairly large so how are they going to expect customers to get them home from the stores. Most of the Apple stores are in malls or in locations where parking is not necessarily close to the entrance to the store. Have you ever tried to lug a 27" iMac through a Mall to the parking lot? Can you imagine trying to lug a 55" TV to your car?!? 

 

Reason number 86 why a 1 lb. box makes far more sense.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by troehl View Post

So here's one thing I don't think anybody has talked about yet. Let's say that Apple does being selling a range of TV's, whatever features they might have, that are in the 42"-55" range. Now the boxes for those TV's are going to be fairly large so how are they going to expect customers to get them home from the stores. Most of the Apple stores are in malls or in locations where parking is not necessarily close to the entrance to the store. Have you ever tried to lug a 27" iMac through a Mall to the parking lot? Can you imagine trying to lug a 55" TV to your car?!? 

The Apple store at the mall in my home town has an adjacent parking garage (4 floors). The Apple store makes use of carts/dollys to transfer the large iMac boxes to and from the cars. But I agree, most boxes for a 42"-56" tv will not fit in the average 4-door passenger car and might be a squeeze in a small SUV. I had to have my 37" Panny delivered to my house since the box wouldn't fit in my then Civic. But, this is Apple, they do come up with creative packaging, but nothing certainly to reduced the size of the device itself. Maybe this will be shipped direct from Apple and not the store, but ht would prevent in-store purchase so they may jut call a local white-glove service.
post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Reason number 86 why a 1 lb. box makes far more sense.
I've been 50/50 on the integrated monitor. From an economic stand-point I'd rather the STB. I like my current components and would rather have the choice.

But, after learning about how apple calibrates their monitors prior to shipping and seeing how much better my digital content (especially photos) look on my iPad compared to my TV and high res monitor (even after trying to match calibration), I'd almost rather have the apple TV display.
post #96 of 101
How can anyone say that the MP3 and cell phone markets weren't established before Apple entered them. Apple gets into markets where it thinks it can provide a superior product/service. They weren't emerging markets; most of the products were crap and Apple said we can do better. If they think they can build a better TV they will, if not then they won't.
post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can anyone say that the MP3 and cell phone markets weren't established before Apple entered them. Apple gets into markets where it thinks it can provide a superior product/service. They weren't emerging markets; most of the products were crap and Apple said we can do better. If they think they can build a better TV they will, if not then they won't.

True Dat

post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's what Tim Cook said earlier this year about ATV: "always thought there was something there, and that if we kept following our intuition and kept pulling that string, we might find something larger." He also said, that Apple needs "something that could go more main market for [the Apple TV] to be a serious category."
... These rumors wouldn't persist if Cook was leading us down another path...

That's a good point. I think Apple is definitely going to go for market share and continue making the Apple TV boxes with the tv set. There are a lot of things that could give it mass market appeal, including FaceTime and close integration of iDevices. Something that Apple is in a great place to do is a native karaoke app; it would be a huge hit, and for the duets, Siri could always chime in.

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #99 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

... If they think they can build a better TV and make a large enough profit from it they will, if not then they won't.

Fixed it for you.

post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by troehl View Post

So here's one thing I don't think anybody has talked about yet. Let's say that Apple does being selling a range of TV's, whatever features they might have, that are in the 42"-55" range. Now the boxes for those TV's are going to be fairly large so how are they going to expect customers to get them home from the stores. Most of the Apple stores are in malls or in locations where parking is not necessarily close to the entrance to the store. Have you ever tried to lug a 27" iMac through a Mall to the parking lot? Can you imagine trying to lug a 55" TV to your car?!? 

They're going to be OLED mats that you roll up and tuck under your arm and double as yoga mats.

post #101 of 101

"Steve "cracked" the secret of any new technology...

Apple TV's will come with free porn"

 

LOL. It is surprisingly difficult to find good porn on iPhone, iPad and AppleTV. Come on, you guys know this already :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple reportedly manufacturing test batch of first smart TVs