or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
And tallest Skil, aren't you the same guy that said he would use his original 2007 iPhone if Apple went with a 4" screen?

 

Out of ease, yes. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to getting a 4S, but I have the first-gen already.

 

Quote:
Do you even use a current generation iPhone?

 

No, of course not. I can't afford a data plan, and I've no intention of ever having one when I don't need it at all.

 

Quote:
I am design challenged because I feel phones look more similar today than they did in 2007?

 

I don't believe anyone's saying that. It's certainly the truth!

 

Quote:
And yeah, the 4 and 4S were incremental updates to me. The 4 was certainly a bigger update that the 4S… …many other people were hoping for much more. 

 

Do tell. What "more" were "other people" wanting? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

All you can say is "wait and see". You haven't offered one prediction as to what the next iPhone will include that will set it as far apart as the original iPhone did in regards to competing phones. And tallest Skil, aren't you the same guy that said he would use his original 2007 iPhone if Apple went with a 4" screen? Do you even use a current generation iPhone? Why do people get so offended and take things so personally when someone has a differing view. I am design challenged because I feel phones look more similar today than they did in 2007? And yeah, the 4 and 4S were incremental updates to me. The 4 was certainly a bigger update that the 4S, but there was nothing really revolutionary to me at least. Maybe you are more easily impressed? I don't know, but I do know I am not alone and many other people were hoping for much more. 

 

Only my opinion, but I think the differences between the Galaxy SIII with ICS and the original Galaxy with Android 2.x are far more striking than the 3GS to 4S. 

 

Personally??!! Why do people pull out this "personally" crap when they themselves are in the argument?!

 

Look, you are the one that said that the Nokia phones basically look the same as the other phones. That is enough evidence to show that you are design challenged. It may be your opinion, and, of course, you are entitled to it, but it does show that you are design challenged. To me your statement sounds like this, "I don't see the big difference between the 1965 Chevrolet Malibu and the 1965 Ford Mustang... they both have 4 wheels, a body and a steering wheel." Just saying...

 

One prediction... Apple is going to stick a 4" screen into one of the most striking bodies seen in mobile phones... I'll know it's special... sadly, you most likely will not.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If Apple was to claim they have 20million preorders for the 6th generation iPhone you would believe it in a heartbeat. Why is it so hard to believe samsung can have a successful product or rather why is it that apple is the only company that can have a successful product. This idea that only apple can be good and all other companies that compete with them are liars con-artiest, evil and should be shut down. Apple is not the only good company and there is plenty of room for more then one successful company.

Who says I don't believe published numbers from Samsung? I am just very careful to make sure I understand what they say - since Samsung has a history of presenting misleading numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

From the article : the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. They do publish the numbers.

And, yet, they never publish the actual numbers in any details. Once in a while, they'll make an announcement when they hit a milestone, but they don't regularly publish numbers.

Furthermore, you have to read the statements carefully. They claimed:
"We are thrilled that 20 million customers around the world [have] enjoyed the smart life Galaxy S II has brought us"

Note that it doesn't say that they sold 20 M SII phones. If I buy a phone and share it with my wife, is that 2 customers who have enjoyed the phone? Furthermore, what does it mean to 'enjoy the smart life Galaxy SII has brought us'? It sure doesn't say that they sold 20 M of the phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

The S III had 9 million preorders from carriers, at least according to several sources.

And that's exactly the point I was making. It's a meaningless figure for a number of reasons:
1. 'Preorders' can be canceled. if the carrier said "send me 1 M phones for each of the next 9 quarters, but I'm going to cancel the order if sales don't catch on', that would be 9 M preorders but would be meaningless.
2. It doesn't give the timeline. Apple sold something like 20 M iPhones to a single customer alone in a single order (Sprint). Of course, that's spread out over 4 or 5 years, but that's a single order that is more than twice the TOTAL preorders for the S III.

Overall, there's still nothing that suggests that the S III is anything near the success of the iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post


From the article : the Galaxy S II, which reached 20 million sales worldwide. They do publish the numbers.
The S III had 9 million preorders from carriers, at least according to several sources.

You guys are laughable. Buried within the link within the link within your link is the following statement from Samsung: "Samsung Electronics today announced that the Samsung GALAXY S II (Model: GT-I9100) has achieved 20 million global channel sales in 10 months since its debut in April 2011."

 

Let's see if you can figure it out!lol.giflol.gif

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Interesting that you should bring up old cars. It used to be very easy just from a quick glance to tell the make, model, and even year for many older cars. Nowadays it is a lot harder to tell from a glance. Even the rear of a Mercedes looks somewhat similar to a Toyota. I love the way you glossed over the point I said that the Lumia in a black CASE was really not that different in shape or size than a iPhone sitting on a table with the screen off. Obviously Apple agrees with me that other phones look pretty similar or they would be suing them now would they? Granted, the Nokia Lumia looks far different than many Android phones which is why I never mentioned Nokia in the first place, you did. The only point I was trying to make that seems to have alluded you is that although as design challenged as I apparently am, I can tell the difference between a Lumia and an iPhone. However, put them both in black cases and their differences are far more insignificant in 2012 vs. Nokia or any other phones in 2007. There are still differences, but you have to look a lot harder to notice from a distance and in a case. 

 

And as to your 4" screen in a striking body, wow hardly revolutionary. Most people use a case so what does it matter what the design looks like when it is enclosed in a case and 4" is so 2009. Anyone that buys a phone based on the looks alone is also pretty superficial. I never considered my iPhone 4S a status symbol or really cared about how it looks, obviously that is important to you. I am more concerned with iOS improvements, better camera, better speaker, gorilla glass 2, and other things that actually make using the phone a better experience since I don't often find myself staring at my phone mesmerized by the awesome design. 

 

Har!

 

You are reaching.

 

Yes, that lawsuit that Apple launched against Nokia for copying the design of the iPhone is a bit of a drawback to my argument.

 

... and as far as making everything black and it all looks the same. Whoa...!!

 

Keep digging. You are sounding more and more like someone who is design challenged all the time.

 

You are still adding way too much filler to your central argument (ie. what the hell is up with this whole change the goalposts adding a case bullshit) but I'm used to people doing that when they haven't got a leg to stand on.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I wasn't aware of any Apple lawsuits against Nokia for design infringements. I know that Nokia sued Apple and won for some patents. I know that Apple is suing Samsung and HTC over design patents, and possibly a few more. But you can't have it both ways. You seem to argue that the iPhone is radically different from every other phone and I am design challenged since I fail to agree with you. Then also argue that others are ripping off Apple's design. Pick a side. Seems like you are logically challenged. Maybe all that straw you are piling on in your arguments is clouding your judgement. I know it is easier to defeat a straw man since you can formulate the errancies in their logic far more easily than answering what they actually said. 

 

1. You are right. Apple has not sued Nokia for design infringement... which was my point.

 

2. I did not argue that the current iPhone is radically different from every other phone (but I could). Please show me where I said that. (an actual straw man argument on your part) I said that the original iPhone was a radical departure (and has kept that edge... refer to #4).

 

3. Please show me where I argued that others are ripping off Apple's designs. (another straw man argument on your part)

 

4. Yes, Apple is suing Samsung over design infringements. In my view Samsung, for previous phones (and the court's view so far), has taken the 1965 Mustang and added a different grill and changed the taillight lenses and called it a Samsung design. Thank you for enforcing the argument that Samsung's phones look no different than Apple's phones.

 

You're making this way too easy.

 

[ I had better remind you of your original argument, "In reality, how radically different can you design a phone? They are all going to be rectangular and have a screen." ]


Edited by island hermit - 5/29/12 at 1:29pm
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #47 of 76
It looks like a nice phone but on closer inspection most of its shine disappears.
The problem is that it's made of plastic and feels cheap by design, maybe that reflects the way it's builder looks at its clients, or the way buyers feel about themselves, but this wouldn't make an iPhone 4S owner switch. It also uses fake colors and still cannot match the iPhone 4S resolution, so again it's made for a less refined public.
It's specs look impressive but show that the iPhone 4S GPU performance is about the same, and GPU performance is what makes your device run not the number of CPU cores.
Other specs are comparable too, so this years iPhone will be a lot better even if you look at the specs.
It's software has some nice tricks but most of its features are a shameless copy of Apples iOS: the copy of Siri is embarrassing to look at, but iOS is still a lot better integrated and not so 'hap snap'. iOS 6 will make the gap even wider.

J.
post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post
It's specs look impressive but show that the iPhone 4S GPU performance is about the same, and GPU performance is what makes your device run not the number of CPU cores.
Other specs are comparable too, so this years iPhone will be a lot better even if you look at the specs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post
...
 but this wouldn't make an iPhone 4S owner switch...

Why would anyone with a 6 month old phone want to switch anyway?

post #50 of 76

Yep, I've seen that, now look at the points I made.

J.
post #51 of 76

Damn people always say Samsung steals the design of Apple? How does the S3 look anywhere like the iPhone or iPod? WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Enlighten us on how the iPhone 4S was a "minor update".


It IS.. same phone, minor updates to hardware and toss in Siri, LMAO. Can't be anymore minor than that!

post #53 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If Apple was to claim they have 20million preorders for the 6th generation iPhone you would believe it in a heartbeat. Why is it so hard to believe samsung can have a successful product or rather why is it that apple is the only company that can have a successful product. This idea that only apple can be good and all other companies that compete with them are liars con-artiest, evil and should be shut down. Apple is not the only good company and there is plenty of room for more then one successful company.

I'm actually looking forward to the Galaxy S III becoming the best-selling phone in the world.

Finally we can start calling Samsung users sheep... give them a taste of their own medicine.

:-)
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


I'm actually looking forward to the Galaxy S III becoming the best-selling phone in the world.
Finally we can start calling Samsung users sheep... give them a taste of their own medicine.
:-)

 

Baaaaaaaaa...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You guys are laughable. Buried within the link within the link within your link is the following statement from Samsung: "Samsung Electronics today announced that the Samsung GALAXY S II (Model: GT-I9100) has achieved 20 million global channel sales in 10 months since its debut in April 2011."

 

Let's see if you can figure it out!lol.giflol.gif

 

That's not fair. You're supposed to take stuff at face value and not go digging into the fine details.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


I'm actually looking forward to the Galaxy S III becoming the best-selling phone in the world.
Finally we can start calling Samsung users sheep... give them a taste of their own medicine.
:-)

 

Reportedly, there were even queues for the Galaxy S III today. 

 

Pathetic.

post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

Reportedly, there were even queues for the Galaxy S III today. 

 

Pathetic.

 

Why do I get the feeling that Samsung paid most of those people to stand in line.

 

I'm not saying that Samsung actually did that but "I" have come to believe that it is not beneath them to do such a trick.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

 

Why do I get the feeling that Samsung paid most of those people to stand in line.

 

I'm not saying that Samsung would actually do that but "I" have come to believe that it is not beneath them to do such a trick.

 

If you read the red letters on the big poster, you'll find out that the first 1000 subscribers are promised accessories worth $240. So yes, there is an incentive for the people who queue. Samsung's motivation is less clear.

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

If you read the red letters on the big poster, you'll find out that the first 1000 subscribers are promised accessories worth $240. So yes, there is an incentive for the people who queue. Samsung's motivation is less clear.

Hmmm..... maybe they caught that queue early, but it didn't look remotely like there were 1000 people in line to me, despite the $240 inducement.

 

I think "pathetic" is the right sentiment.

post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View PostSo they get a Samsung so that they can be like everybody else, and they don't use it for anything because if they do the battery wears out.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-1078667/review?artc_pg=13

"Let's put it into some context: subjecting the Galaxy S3 to the same test we do all smartphones, it's come out as the second longest-lasting device of all we've checked out."

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

 

If you read the red letters on the big poster, you'll find out that the first 1000 subscribers are promised accessories worth $240. So yes, there is an incentive for the people who queue. Samsung's motivation is less clear.

 

Do you have a link for this? I am not finding anything other than a local London store offering incentives to the first 1000 pre-orders.
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm..... maybe they caught that queue early, but it didn't look remotely like there were 1000 people in line to me, despite the $240 inducement.

 

I think "pathetic" is the right sentiment.

 

Well it could easily be a national campaign, so the size of the queue at one store isn't telling.

 

We seem to share the sentiment that this behavior is pathetic, but we may differ in the details. While I find it pathetic that anyone would queue, you seem to be thrown off by the fact that there are too few people. Is that correct?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Band View Post

 

Do you have a link for this? I am not finding anything other than a local London store offering incentives to the first 1000 pre-orders.

 

Yes I do, scroll up to my post #64. This wasn't in the UK by the way, it's in Singapore.

post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

I don't believe anything Anandtech says.  They claim that the Samsung is way faster than the iPhone 4S in every respect.

 

 

Eh, too obvious.

post #64 of 76
Yeah that promotion is run by the local store, not Samsung.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post


I don't believe anything Anandtech says.  They claim that the Samsung is way faster than the iPhone 4S in every respect.

But that doesn't matter so long as it runs Android, because Android is slow to use.  Most people just use it as a dumbphone anyways because they can't figure out how to work it.

So they get a Samsung so that they can be like everybody else, and they don't use it for anything because if they do the battery wears out.

I do believe the benchmark results, I think it's likely the benchmarks are conducted properly, but what benchmark is relevant?
I am saying that the benchmarks that test GPU performance are relevant and if you look at the results the iPhone is pretty close compared to the S3. They also claim that until now Apples iPhone was the fastest phone in this respect. So it isn't true that Anandtech claims that the S3 is way faster in every aspect.

J.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


I do believe the benchmark results, I think it's likely the benchmarks are conducted properly, but what benchmark is relevant?
I am saying that the benchmarks that test GPU performance are relevant and if you look at the results the iPhone is pretty close compared to the S3. They also claim that until now Apples iPhone was the fastest phone in this respect. So it isn't true that Anandtech claims that the S3 is way faster in every aspect.
J.

First off, you're arguing with a ghost -- the user you're replying to is banned.

 

Second, GPU is relevant for some but not all tasks -- all depends on how you use your phone.

 

Third, mobile phones have reached a point when additional performance doesn't always translate in obvious improvements. For example, GPUs have been sufficiently powerful in all flagship devices in the past 6-9 months. True that some phones will have a framerate of 50 in a benchmark where the 4S has 75, but our perception doesn't gain much from going above 30 anyway. So it is immaterial which one scores the best, if you're not going to see the difference.

post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Only my opinion, but I think the differences between the Galaxy SIII with ICS and the original Galaxy with Android 2.x are far more striking than the 3GS to 4S. 

gotta be the dumbest statement in a long time on AI....

3GS to 4 was a major aesthetic change and performance gain as usual. 4 to 4S was again a huge leap in performance. Don't be so efing obtuse.

post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

First off, you're arguing with a ghost -- the user you're replying to is banned.

Second, GPU is relevant for some but not all tasks -- all depends on how you use your phone.

Third, mobile phones have reached a point when additional performance doesn't always translate in obvious improvements. For example, GPUs have been sufficiently powerful in all flagship devices in the past 6-9 months. True that some phones will have a framerate of 50 in a benchmark where the 4S has 75, but our perception doesn't gain much from going above 30 anyway. So it is immaterial which one scores the best, if you're not going to see the difference.

Thanks for pointing out that the user is banned (that isn't obvious unless you view his profile), I'm not sure why he is banned though.
Your other points are a bit obvious and I disagree that the GPUs are fast enough already.
3D graphic scenes are incredibly GPU intensive and details like shadows, reflections and complex 3D objects need all calculation power available and can always use more (because demanding games are designed on the performance edge).

J.
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


Thanks for pointing out that the user is banned (that isn't obvious unless you view his profile), I'm not sure why he is banned though.

 

My guess is that he was being offensive.

 


Your other points are a bit obvious and I disagree that the GPUs are fast enough already.
3D graphic scenes are incredibly GPU intensive and details like shadows, reflections and complex 3D objects need all calculation power available and can always use more (because demanding games are designed on the performance edge).
J.

 

Gaming is only one use of the phone, and not a very wise thing to do on the performance edge if you value the other uses. Besides, at one point you should also consider how much you add to the gaming experience by calculation-intensive rendering.

post #70 of 76
So, people who deny being Apple sheep think there is meaning to the number of people who line up for a phone?

I know everyone is different but I can easily type with one hand on every phone I've picked up (save the Note). So to say Apple only wants a phone people can use with one hand is meaningless. Ever try to take a screen shot?

Regarding the "form factor" of the phone: if you put your phone in a case, shut up.

On the advice of my friends who work in Cupertino I ignored the 4s. That phone is an afterthought- something to please the investors- while the 4 was being upgraded to what was hoped to be the 5. To release a product in beta (like Siri) is a sign that you know your fans will buy anything, bugs and all.

I'm looking forward to the Galaxy 3. The 2 is a fine phone and Android has many features I find very helpful. I can't wait, thought I'm not going to waste time in line to be the first on my block with a new toy. I don't have those types of issues where I need acceptance on what products I buy.
post #71 of 76
BTW, as long as my phone works I don't give a rodent heiny how long the lines are.
Popularity is not a sign of quality. It's often a sign of manipulation. If you don't believe that, look at your collection of Beany Babies and Thomas Kincade paintings.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post
That phone is an afterthought- something to please the investors-

 

Of course it was.

 

Quote:
To release a product in beta (like Siri) is a sign that you know your fans will buy anything, bugs and all.

 

Just like Google does all the time, right.

 

Quote:
I can't wait, thought I'm not going to waste time in line to be the first on my block with a new toy. I don't have those types of issues where I need acceptance on what products I buy.

 

AND there it is. You had a good run, but you've overstepped your legitimacy in… four posts. 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Just like Google does all the time, right.

 

Right, Google sells products in beta all the time. I want my money back. Oh, wait...

post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I too thought it looked like the iPod touch.  They really can't come up with their own ideas.

It is only this one picture though, showing off the rounded edges and metal back (Well... metal coloured plastic)

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

So, people who deny being Apple sheep think there is meaning to the number of people who line up for a phone? 
I know everyone is different but I can easily type with one hand on every phone I've picked up (save the Note). So to say Apple only wants a phone people can use with one hand is meaningless. Ever try to take a screen shot?
Regarding the "form factor" of the phone: if you put your phone in a case, shut up.
On the advice of my friends who work in Cupertino I ignored the 4s. That phone is an afterthought- something to please the investors- while the 4 was being upgraded to what was hoped to be the 5. To release a product in beta (like Siri) is a sign that you know your fans will buy anything, bugs and all.
I'm looking forward to the Galaxy 3. The 2 is a fine phone and Android has many features I find very helpful. I can't wait, thought I'm not going to waste time in line to be the first on my block with a new toy. I don't have those types of issues where I need acceptance on what products I buy.

Yes, when there are huge lines to purchace items it means there is huge demand for the item. The type of demand not seen with any other phone. It is not by any means manipulation, and to suggest it as such makes you look to be a bigger fool than you are. iPhone's type of demand will not happen with an android shit phone EVER.  It's not rocket science it's common sense.... but then if you are here at AI to spout off against apple, and for android it make sense to me that you have no common sense.

 

Your friend in cupertino huh?  what a crock of bullshit. The 4s was a substantial upgrade from the iPhone 4. The LONG LINES and dominating sales numbers prove you full of **it again.

BTW, EVEYTHING GOOGLE RELEASES IS BETA!!! it will never get any better than that either for their half baked products.

Go hang out in a lame ass android dork forums and be with your sheep....  Randy 8^)

post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"I have a confession to make. When I first laid eyes on the Samsung Galaxy S3, I thought the design was unappealing and uninspired. I felt that the styling was a bit dated; akin to a slight upgrade of the Nexus One. From the initial launch invitation which featured marble white and blue blobs, I expected something more raw, more edgy. I was expecting a fusion of liquid metal and styling from Verizon’s iconic Droid campaigns. I was expecting to be impressed, to be blown to pieces with something completely revolutionary.


Honestly, I am in love. It was love at first touch, and all preconceived notions I had about the S3 design have melted away, and been replaced by pure technological bliss and delight.


Getting the device for the first time, I find myself in a perpetual state of what can only be described as ‘eureka moments’. The whole ‘inspired by nature’ talk began to make sense. It’s a design that works perfectly.  
Quite simply, the design of the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a breath of fresh air in the midst of sharp and edgy ubiquitous mobile design."

 



http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-review-video-89883/



 



 



This is from a representative of the Android community.  The group that refers to Apple customers as "iSheep" under the influence of the "Reality Distortion Field." 



It is so pathetically obvious when some PR HACK invades this space with their pseudo intellectual poetic like dribble! Go get a real job!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Samsung Galaxy S III launches in Europe to take on Apple's iPhone 4S