or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television announcement expected to precede launch by 2-6 months
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple television announcement expected to precede launch by 2-6 months - Page 2

post #41 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

You say that... but....

The idea would be to create a publishing platform which works for the content owners. 

These owners have always had options about how to best monetize their content.
The iTV would be just another option.  They could easily elect to publish nationally or internationally.  

What will influence their decision will simply be which of their many options gives them the best return.  
With the iTV platform all they need to do is press a button and then sit back to collect the subscription revenue. My guess is that a lot of content owners will be attracted by a business model which allows them to keep the lion's share of the subscription and advertising revenue - rather than sharing it with an inefficient network. They might appreciate a publishing model that did not require the funding of call centres / installation engineers / space satellites / DVRs boxes / dishes / cables and so on..

If the model works  -  they will line-up to put content into the platform, just like developers lined up for the iPhone.  

There's likely to be legal battles, because the networks will see the end of their business model coming up fast.

The networks are the content owners and their deals with the cable companies are pretty sweet. Are they going to gamble selling a show for $.99 that gets 2 million viewers when shown with advertising, how many of those 2 million do you think would pay?

They might appreciate a publishing model that did not require the funding of call centres / installation engineers / space satellites / DVRs boxes / dishes / cables and so on..
Who's gonna fund all that then? Fairies?
Edited by dasanman69 - 5/29/12 at 2:04pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #42 of 85
Quote: Tallest said
Won't it be hilarious when this thing comes with the current Apple TV's interface?

And then Apple's left to wonder just why it's not selling and why the few people who do buy it hate it so much.

 

Oh I don't know. I'm sure to buy one. I doubt I'd hate it though. I don't watch cable TV at all. So there's plenty to like for me.

post #43 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

 

I forwarded this post to Apple and they have scrapped their Apple TV plans entirely. They said, "Dagamer34, thanks for the keen insight. That is the direction we were going, but have now reconsidered based on this prophetic post. Big ups to you." 

 

If it is that obvious then why hasn't anyone answered this very basic question?

 

What does an Apple branded HDTV do for apple that the aTV form factor cannot? 

post #44 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If that were the case do you suppose U-verse and Fios would be able to build out their infrastructure quickly enough to replace the cable providers who provide the bulk of all broadband Internet to homes in the US. I'm not sure how broadband is delivered in other countries but in the US, cable owns the last mile.

You can forget about FiOS, Verizon will not build out to any new areas.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #45 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If that were the case do you suppose U-verse and Fios would be able to build out their infrastructure quickly enough to replace the cable providers who provide the bulk of all broadband Internet to homes in the US. I'm not sure how broadband is delivered in other countries but in the US, cable owns the last mile. If consumers ditch their cable TV for Internet delivered content they will just raise the price of Internet.

In the UK cable isn't as big as the main phone provider. I get 70mbit broadband thru my phone line.


But your point is well made. The cable companies will eventually have to morph into into companies that just move bits. Same as the mobile networks.

post #46 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There isn't gonna be a disruptive change because as far as the TV industry goes all is fine and well. There's not a Napster for TV shows, yes there's torrents but ask most people what a torrent is and they'll say "um, um, when it rains hard?" There's not widespread thievery of TV shows. Most people either DVR a show they want to watch or watch it on demand. Netflix and Amazon do well on older shows as does iTunes. The TV business is not perfect but its not broken neither. There's no scare tactic Apple can use to make it change.

I think it will all come down to price. There's got to be some kind of reasonable all-you-can-eat subscription package for the Apple TV... or else people will continue to pay for cable.

As often as people say they don't want to pay for 1000 channels... your cable bill is actually a pretty good value.

For that monthly cable fee... you get EVERY program that airs on TV. If you have a DVR, you can set it to record anything and everything. Plus you get news, sports, all kinds of stuff.

It beats hunting through the various online services hoping they have the show you want to watch. TV shows appear on TV first... but there's no guarantee they will end up on an online streaming service.

You could subscribe to Netflix AND Amazon AND Hulu AND whatever else is out there... but you'd end up paying as much as you would for cable.

Or you can buy TV episodes on iTunes... but I'm of the mindset that TV shows are throwaway. There are very few TV episodes I would want to rewatch... especially when there are new episodes every season. And new series too.
post #47 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The networks are the content owners and their deals with the cable companies are pretty sweet. Are they going to gamble selling a show for $.99 that gets 2 million viewers when shown with advertising, how many of those 2 million do you think would pay?
 

Content creators sell their stuff to networks.  But if you own the rights to basketball, or Game of Thrones - what is the best way of turning that content into money? You don't have pick just one. You can pick all of them. The secret is not to devalue your products.  What will swing the compass is if content owners see 50% more revenue per user from iTV subscriptions versus cable.

 

My guess is that Apple will get rid of the single show purchase. The product will be subscriptions to channel packages. This includes live TV and advertising subsidised TV.  

 

 

Quote:
They might appreciate a publishing model that did not require the funding of call centres / installation engineers / space satellites / DVRs boxes / dishes / cables and so on..
Who's gonna fund all that then? Fairies?

Who cares?

 

It's last century tech and supporting it all is taking money away from customers and content makers alike. Not only is all that crap expensive, it ends up with a dreadful user experience. 

It has to change.

post #48 of 85

What concerns me is that I have the money and the desire to buy all of Apple's highest end products. However, people who are willing to pay a premium for a TV aren't going to settle for a 50 inch or smaller.

If I am going to buy a new HDTV it is going to be at least 60 and probably 65 inches. My old 50 inch is just too small now that I have seen the 65 inch TVs that my friends have and Costco's has them for just $2500.

 

I have seen most rumors stating TV sizes much smaller. This will keep most high end videophiles away.

post #49 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Are you just being a jerk? Why exactly would that be funny?


The Apple TV has an interface specifically designed for iTunes content, with a few other content apps on the side.

That said, it is far from perfect.

For example if I am looking to play a tv show via home sharing it would make sense that I hit TV Shows, but that's the store. I have to go to computer. Having those 'genre' buttons go to my content with a 'store' connection at the top is more logical.

Another example, I can't move things around to suit my needs. I don't watch baseball so why can't I put that at the bottom. Same with my settings since I'll only need to change that in a rare moment.

And so on

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #50 of 85

The reason why those other devices we unveiled so soon before becoming widely available is that Apple needed to apply for FCC approval for such devices well in advance since they employed communications technology requiring FCC approval. Being as the iPhone, for example, would have to have been run past the FCC long before it could go on sale, why conceal details about the product. It was going to be public knowledge well ahead of launch whether or not Apple wanted that to happen.

 

I don't imagine the same will be the case for a TV but I could be wrong. 

post #51 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

What concerns me is that I have the money and the desire to buy all of Apple's highest end products. However, people who are willing to pay a premium for a TV aren't going to settle for a 50 inch or smaller.

If I am going to buy a new HDTV it is going to be at least 60 and probably 65 inches. My old 50 inch is just too small now that I have seen the 65 inch TVs that my friends have and Costco's has them for just $2500.

 

I have seen most rumors stating TV sizes much smaller. This will keep most high end videophiles away.

Videophiles are not where the money is made anyways. They are a niche market. The sweetspot for Apple is 55" with a nice design, good picture quality and the to be known features at $2000. It is in the range of 65" sets in price but the extra features make up the difference.

post #52 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Here's a shot in the dark: You won't sell any in Europe. They're kinda preoccupied at the moment. I'd seriously consider putting this thing on hold until things stabilize. Apple should focus on proven products for now.

Apple is an American company which is why that is their main focus. Thus why American 4G is in the iPads, American sports/news content is the only thing they have put up in those extra apps, American stores always launch new products.

If America will buy it, Apple will sell it. Let everyone else come later

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #53 of 85
Quote:
There isn't gonna be a disruptive change because as far as the TV industry goes all is fine and well. There's not a Napster for TV shows, yes there's torrents but ask most people what a torrent is and they'll say "um, um, when it rains hard?" There's not widespread thievery of TV shows. Most people either DVR a show they want to watch or watch it on demand. Netflix and Amazon do well on older shows as does iTunes. The TV business is not perfect but its not broken neither. There's no scare tactic Apple can use to make it change.

 

 

The TV market is very, very, broken.

 

* When I have to pay over one hundred dollars a month for a bazillion channels (in bundles) most of which I never watch, that is a big problem.

 

* When any given delivery method (like cable, or DirectTV, or DishNetwork) within most market areas (like my part of Tucson AZ) has a virtual monopoly there, that is a big problem. Sure, different delivery methods compete with one another, sort of, but not very effectively.  Many people simply don't have enough good choices.

 

* When I need a bunch of boxes attached to my TV, each with their own remotes, in order to consume all of the content I want (including games, etc) that is a big problem.  A universal remote helps, but it doesn't eliminate complexity, especially with the hassles of scheduling, which technology could eliminate in a heartbeat (to the cheers of the masses).

 

Oh, yeah, and I wouldn't bet my life that Apple has no scare tactics available to cause a change.

post #54 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

If it is that obvious then why hasn't anyone answered this very basic question?

What does an Apple branded HDTV do for apple that the aTV form factor cannot? 

It eliminates at least 2 boxes and 4 cables (in the form most widely being discussed).

Your proposal:
TV with power cable
Cable box with power cable and data cable
Apple TV with power cable and data cable

Proposed:
TV with power cable

For some people, that difference is HUGE. And if they include DVD and/or BR player, it eliminates another box and 2 more cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple is an American company which is why that is their main focus. Thus why American 4G is in the iPads, American sports/news content is the only thing they have put up in those extra apps, American stores always launch new products.
If America will buy it, Apple will sell it. Let everyone else come later

More than half of Apple's revenue is from outside the US as well as almost all of their manufacturing and some of the design work. It's a mistake to think of them solely as a U.S. company.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #55 of 85

Just seen the advert for the new Panasonic Viera TV where you can swipe the screen from your iPad to the TV. That's so cool I hope the Apple TV can do that.

 

If you haven't seen it.....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7XzbXSi6M&feature=player_embedded
 

post #56 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post


The TV market is very, very, broken.

* When I have to pay over one hundred dollars a month for a bazillion channels (in bundles) most of which I never watch, that is a big problem.

* When any given delivery method (like cable, or DirectTV, or DishNetwork) within most market areas (like my part of Tucson AZ) has a virtual monopoly there, that is a big problem. Sure, different delivery methods compete with one another, sort of, but not very effectively.  Many people simply don't have enough good choices.

* When I need a bunch of boxes attached to my TV, each with their own remotes, in order to consume all of the content I want (including games, etc) that is a big problem.  A universal remote helps, but it doesn't eliminate complexity, especially with the hassles of scheduling, which technology could eliminate in a heartbeat (to the cheers of the masses).

Oh, yeah, and I wouldn't bet my life that Apple has no scare tactics available to cause a change.

That makes it broken mainly on your end, most of those bazillion channels belong to a few networks. Those networks are still making there money whether you watch or not. You're right on there being a virtual monopoly in some areas, FiOS and U-verse are slowly changing that. I'd like to know how is Apple going to consolidate all the set top boxes we own. There are 5 fairly new TVs in my house. No way will I buy 5 Apple branded TV sets when I can buy 5 ATVs at $500.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #57 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


But regardless of the economy any content agreements here in the US would not be valid on the UK. Apple would need content agreements in every country, much much different than releasing a iPhone or iPad. EPIC FAIL on you.

Umm....Get your basics straight.  They had to do that for the iPod (which, quite apart from being a first ever of its kind in this arena, was introduced at the time of 2000-01 recession), and with getting carrier agreements around the world for the iPhone/iPad.

 

In any event, as with all of its major product introductions, Apple will likely introduce it in the US first, test the waters at home, learn, iron out the bugs, get momentum, and only then venture outside the US. My guess is that Europe will probably not see that product until late 2013 (assuming it's announced in the US in late 2012 and sold starting mid-2013).

post #58 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That makes it broken mainly on your end, most of those bazillion channels belong to a few networks. Those networks are still making there money whether you watch or not. You're right on there being a virtual monopoly in some areas, FiOS and U-verse are slowly changing that. I'd like to know how is Apple going to consolidate all the set top boxes we own. There are 5 fairly new TVs in my house. No way will I buy 5 Apple branded TV sets when I can buy 5 ATVs at $500.

Exactly. I just don't see how Apple can eliminate the boxes and provide us with their user experience without controling the content and its distribution. Unless it can work out a cable card deal with the cable companies. But I see no chance of them playing ball and letting Apple control the box.

 

The Cable Companies are not going to give up any revenue like VOD or even advertising revenue that gets put on the Cable Box UI.

 

Apple could go a Tivo like model but you still have to deal with the cable box.

 

No doubt the TV will be slick and I'll want one, but there is zero chance it replaces any current boxes.

 

In my Dream World, Apple buys Dish Network. Content issue resolved. Apple then utilizes Dish's 4G LTE Spectrum for piggy backed content delivery as well as the obvious satellite subscribers. Then they have a true walled garden.

 

Pipe dream with lots of holes to be sure but....

post #59 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Just seen the advert for the new Panasonic Viera TV where you can swipe the screen from your iPad to the TV. That's so cool I hope the Apple TV can do that.

If you haven't seen it.....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7XzbXSi6M&feature=player_embedded

 

I just got a Panasonic and didnt know it could do that. Thanks
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Here's a shot in the dark: You won't sell any in Europe. They're kinda preoccupied at the moment. I'd seriously consider putting this thing on hold until things stabilize. Apple should focus on proven products for now.

 

Or they could release it on their time table and let the fanboys line up to buy it on day one and build the buzz. Let the Europeans drool for a while.

Seriously though, Apple products seem to still do well regardless of the economic climate.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #61 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Umm....Get your basics straight.  They had to do that for the iPod (which, quite apart from being a first ever of its kind in this arena, was introduced at the time of 2000-01 recession), and with getting carrier agreements around the world for the iPhone/iPad.

In any event, as with all of its major product introductions, Apple will likely introduce it in the US first, test the waters at home, learn, iron out the bugs, get momentum, and only then venture outside the US. My guess is that Europe will probably not see that product until late 2013 (assuming it's announced in the US in late 2012 and sold starting mid-2013).

Yes but people had plenty of ready to install content on iPods, CD collections, getting the music industry on board slowly was a luxury they could afford. Yes there had to be carrier agreements but most country like the US have a multitude of networks to deal with. Totally different animal.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #62 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Exactly. I just don't see how Apple can eliminate the boxes and provide us with their user experience without controling the content and its distribution. Unless it can work out a cable card deal with the cable companies. But I see no chance of them playing ball and letting Apple control the box.

The Cable Companies are not going to give up any revenue like VOD or even advertising revenue that gets put on the Cable Box UI.

Apple could go a Tivo like model but you still have to deal with the cable box.

No doubt the TV will be slick and I'll want one, but there is zero chance it replaces any current boxes.

In my Dream World, Apple buys Dish Network. Content issue resolved. Apple then utilizes Dish's 4G LTE Spectrum for piggy backed content delivery as well as the obvious satellite subscribers. Then they have a true walled garden.

Pipe dream with lots of holes to be sure but....

Alternatively, Apple makes it an Internet TV. Between Hulu, Netflix, etc, it's possible to watch a great deal of content without dealing with the cable companies. It wouldn't be easy to work out the details (Apple might have to buy Hulu), but it would be easier than trying to get the cable companies to cooperate.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #63 of 85
What I cant wait to see is the line of people at the Apple store with their 50" Apple TV sets waiting for the genius bar.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #64 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Alternatively, Apple makes it an Internet TV. Between Hulu, Netflix, etc, it's possible to watch a great deal of content without dealing with the cable companies. It wouldn't be easy to work out the details (Apple might have to buy Hulu), but it would be easier than trying to get the cable companies to cooperate.

I do hope they buy Hulu, its gotten worse and worse as far as selection is concerned.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #65 of 85

My only wish for Apple's new TV is that it includes a built-in Tru2Way or CableCard so I won't need a cable box anymore.

post #66 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Exactly. I just don't see how Apple can eliminate the boxes and provide us with their user experience without controling the content and its distribution. Unless it can work out a cable card deal with the cable companies. But I see no chance of them playing ball and letting Apple control the box.

The Cable Companies are not going to give up any revenue like VOD or even advertising revenue that gets put on the Cable Box UI.

Apple could go a Tivo like model but you still have to deal with the cable box.

No doubt the TV will be slick and I'll want one, but there is zero chance it replaces any current boxes.

In my Dream World, Apple buys Dish Network. Content issue resolved. Apple then utilizes Dish's 4G LTE Spectrum for piggy backed content delivery as well as the obvious satellite subscribers. Then they have a true walled garden.

Pipe dream with lots of holes to be sure but....

I agree with cable card being an option except cable card TVs have been an utter failure, and not every company uses set top boxes with cards, FiOS boxes don't have cards. The problem with getting content is you gotta screw the companies that provide the medium of your content, meaning the cable and phone companies. What's to stop them from saying "oh you want internet only, ok you have a 100 GB cap then"
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #67 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I do hope they buy Hulu, its gotten worse and worse as far as selection is concerned.

How exactly does Apple go about buying Hulu since it is a joint venture among all of the networks that Apple would supposedly be trying to heavy hand into signing up with iTunes?

 

Besides it runs entirely in Flash.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #68 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

My only wish for Apple's new TV is that it includes a built-in Tru2Way or CableCard so I won't need a cable box anymore.

That's fine if you only have one TV, I have 4 fairly new TVs. What then?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #69 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What's to stop them from saying "oh you want internet only, ok you have a 100 GB cap then"

More likely they screw with your streaming packets and say "Sorry we are experiencing intermittent data transmission issues in your area."  Meanwhile you can get solid download speed in any other protocol.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #70 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes but people had plenty of ready to install content on iPods, CD collections, getting the music industry on board slowly was a luxury they could afford. Yes there had to be carrier agreements but most country like the US have a multitude of networks to deal with. Totally different animal.

OK, try to think a bit before posting. Take a breath, since your posts are making less and less sense. 

 

Apple will simply follow its playbook as it has with every major new product introduction.

 

One, Apple does not typically obtain content or carrier agreements with everyone in an market -- music, movies, books, telephones -- they've entered. They get a critical mass, and the rest will follow. Two, most countries around the world (except the US) have a handful of channels that account for a large share of viewership. They get a critical mass, and the rest will follow. (Moreover, it's not like you won't be able to view the other channels if you have a cable subscription). Three, Apple will simply go to the countries where it is easy to get such 'critical mass' agreements and ignore the rest. They get a critical mass of countries, and the rest will follow. Four, 

post #71 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How exactly does Apple go about buying Hulu since it is a joint venture among all of the networks that Apple would supposedly be trying to heavy hand into signing up with iTunes?

Besides it runs entirely in Flash.

Take the network stuff off, 1. Most of it sucks, and 2. Most of it can be viewed on their corresponding website or on demand. Add channels that don't have an on demand presence. I like to watch Runaway Squad and Fugitive Task Force on CI but they have no on demand. If I don't DVR a show I miss it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It eliminates at least 2 boxes and 4 cables (in the form most widely being discussed).
Your proposal:
TV with power cable
Cable box with power cable and data cable
Apple TV with power cable and data cable
Proposed:
TV with power cable
For some people, that difference is HUGE. And if they include DVD and/or BR player, it eliminates another box and 2 more cables.

No, it simply eliminates 1 box and 2 cables. A box the size of a hockey puck.

Everything else remains the same in every other scenario. If Apple can get rid of the cable box for the hdtv then it can as well in the aTV scenario. They simply build that capability into the next aTV.

In any case, unless they have the content deals in place AND a viable last mile solution it is highly unlikely to get rid of the cable box for most folks since cable is their ISP as well. Look at Comcast and how they are treating their VOD data as not part of the data cap.

The probability that Apple includes built in bluray in their TV approaches zero. An Apple HTiaB makes a lot more sense than an Apple HDTV and that strikes me as still unlikely.

Add a class t amp to the aTV and 3 hdmi inputs and make a remote app for the iPhone/iPad my wife can use and I'll retire my current Denon reciever.
post #73 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Yes but people had plenty of ready to install content on iPods, CD collections, getting the music industry on board slowly was a luxury they could afford. Yes there had to be carrier agreements but most country like the US have a multitude of networks to deal with. Totally different animal.

Try to think a bit before posting. Your posts are making less and less sense.

 

Apple will simply follow the playbook it has with recent product introductions.

 

One, Apple will strike agreements with a few key content providers -- as it did with music, movies, books, carriers -- and the rest will follow. Two, most countries (except for the US) have a handful of channels that account for a large proportion of viewership. That is no different from the number of music or book publishers, or carriers in a typical country that Apple had to negotiate with. Get those, and the rest will follow. Three, Apple will only introduce the product in those countries where (1) and (2) are relatively easy to do. Get those, and the rest of the (relevant) countries will follow.

post #74 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What I cant wait to see is the line of people at the Apple store with their 50" Apple TV sets waiting for the genius bar.

This is what I mean by your posts making less and less sense.

post #75 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I agree with cable card being an option except cable card TVs have been an utter failure, and not every company uses set top boxes with cards, FiOS boxes don't have cards. The problem with getting content is you gotta screw the companies that provide the medium of your content, meaning the cable and phone companies. What's to stop them from saying "oh you want internet only, ok you have a 100 GB cap then"

Exactly right and that is why I just don't see the Apple TV that we all want quite ready. Just such a different Media to control from that standpoint.

 

But, that still leaves room for Apple to really surpise us but it will be in a very different way than we are thinking. The TV will be a king of Apple Convergence, and that I look forward to.

post #76 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK, try to think a bit before posting. Take a breath, since your posts are making less and less sense. 

Apple will simply follow its playbook as it has with every major new product introduction.

One, Apple does not typically obtain content or carrier agreements with everyone in an market -- music, movies, books, telephones -- they've entered. They get a critical mass, and the rest will follow. Two, most countries around the world (except the US) have a handful of channels that account for a large share of viewership. They get a critical mass, and the rest will follow. (Moreover, it's not like you won't be able to view the other channels if you have a cable subscription). Three, Apple will simply go to the countries where it is easy to get such 'critical mass' agreements and ignore the rest. They get a critical mass of countries, and the rest will follow. Four, 

In case they have to have content agreements in place because then how will they be different from every other TV on the market. Can't change form factor nor the UI because the TV will still be a slave to the set top boxes. The TV market is saturated right now. The life cycle of a iPhone or iPad is 2 yrs on a TV is no less than 5 yrs. Apple cannot come anywhere near the critical mass that already exists on TVs.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #77 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is what I mean by your posts making less and less sense.

I was being sarcastic not nonsensical, big difference. But do tell me how those big screen TVs will get serviced?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #78 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 

One, Apple will strike agreements with a few key content providers -- as it did with music, movies, books, carriers -- and the rest will follow. Two, most countries (except for the US) have a handful of channels that account for a large proportion of viewership. That is no different from the number of music or book publishers, or carriers in a typical country that Apple had to negotiate with. Get those, and the rest will follow. Three, Apple will only introduce the product in those countries where (1) and (2) are relatively easy to do. Get those, and the rest of the (relevant) countries will follow.

 

These content providers are being paid billions by the cable industry (to include FiOS, Dish, etc in this group) and appear to be none too keen that Apple become the primary digital gateway like they do for music anyway.

 

It's a tough problem for Apple to crack.  The dollar amounts are quite high and recouping such an investment on the basis of hardware sales tough.

 

That's about the only thing a Apple HDTV can do that the aTV cannot...have high ASPs.

post #79 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

These content providers are being paid billions by the cable industry (to include FiOS, Dish, etc in this group) and appear to be none too keen that Apple become the primary digital gateway like they do for music anyway.

It's a tough problem for Apple to crack.  The dollar amounts are quite high and recouping such an investment on the basis of hardware sales tough.

That's about the only thing a Apple HDTV can do that the aTV cannot...have high ASPs.

And you didn't mention the advertising revenue stream as well. Music was easy to conquer because everyone and the grandmother was stealing music. The TV is far from panic mode and don't not need Apple. And seeing as how Apple hasn't really been a boon for the music industry even with their critical mass I definitely don't see the TV industry using their business model.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


I was being sarcastic not nonsensical, big difference. But do tell me how those big screen TVs will get serviced?

You get your TVs 'serviced'? 

 

OK.... cool. 

 

(Gently stepping away from your world; should've seen it coming, I guess).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple television announcement expected to precede launch by 2-6 months