or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Greatly enhanced' iOS Maps, upgraded Camera & Photos apps expected at WWDC

'Greatly enhanced' iOS Maps, upgraded Camera & Photos apps expected at WWDC

post #1 of 26
New software features in iOS, as well as OS X, are likely to be the main highlights at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, though Apple is also expected to refresh a significant portion of its Mac hardware lineup.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said on Friday that his industry checks have indicated that a new Maps application in iOS to be unveiled at WWDC later this month will be a "greatly enhanced" version with 3D capability. He said the new offering has been internally developed by Apple, allowing the company to move away from Google, claims that echo earlier reports.

Wu believes most of the industry's focus on the new Maps application will be about how it replaces Google Maps on every iOS device shipped. But he believes that for Apple, the new software will be about a lot more than moving away from Google.

"We hear the key reason why AAPL decided to do this is that it believes it can deliver a much better use experience in Maps, not to mention provide further differentiation for its mobile devices business," he wrote in a note to investors on Friday.

Another upgrade to iOS will allow "more powerful sharing of photos," Wu said. Earlier this month The Wall Street Journal was first to report that Apple plans to launch new photo sharing functionality in iCloud at WWDC.

WWDC

Wu added that Apple is working on a "notable upgrade" for both the native Camera and Photos application on iOS. He speculated that the changes would make it less necessary for iPhone users to rely on third-party applications like Instagram, which was acquired by Facebook for $1 billion in April.

As for new hardware, Wu anticipates "several" Macs receiving refreshes from Apple. Earlier reports have pegged both the MacBook Pro and iMac lineups to be updated at WWDC with Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors, as well as high-resolution Retina displays.

Sterne Agee has maintained a price target of $780 for AAPL stock, citing the company's ability to "outperform in this tough macroeconomic environment." Apple remains one of the firm's top picks, along with IBM.
post #2 of 26

his industry checks = Reading blogs about Apple. :)

post #3 of 26

I wish the Camera Roll in iOS is enhanced to display info like when the photo was taken, etc. That would really help organize my runaway photos since my first iPhone!

post #4 of 26

Can't fucking wait. And yeah, photos in the camera roll desperately need a 'get info' pane, which also includes location. I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app for that. Also, it's 2012, so I think Apple can relent on the ridiculous 5 photo email limit. Force us to resize if needed, but I find this ludicrous. Sometimes you just want to attack some quick photos without going through the hoops of making an online album, and nobody likes receiving multiple emails. 

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
Also, it's 2012, so I think Apple can relent on the ridiculous 5 photo email limit. Force us to resize if needed, but I find this ludicrous.

Well, you'd have to, wouldn't you? Is there a single e-mail service that allows attachments totaling more than 25MB?

It'd be nice to be able to reorganize photos (even if they're just from the Camera Roll) into folders… Actually, I think I'll mock up some screenshots of what I'm thinking about… 

There are a bunch of little tweaks that Apple could do all across iOS to make it spectacular. It's the being able to do it in an Appley way that seems to be preventing them… 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 26

Read hundreds of articles/posts about this new Maps app... but none of them ever seem to mention street view. Street very is very, very useful and I wonder of we can continue to use google maps for such?

post #7 of 26

Agreed. I don't need 3D drawn maps. Street view is all that matters, and turn-by-turn GPS would be a great way to compete with Android phones that have this feature without buying 3rd party GPS programs.

post #8 of 26

To me this graphic says "massively implemented resolution independence" and hints at Mountain Lion on retina displays and another iOS screen size.  But what do I know?

post #9 of 26

Some type of editing to replace instagram would be fantastic. My wife uses instagram all the time and it makes some great pictures (for editing that takes 10 seconds).  Still doesn't replace even a consumer DSLR and good editing software, but it is much much improved.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #10 of 26

3D Maps is all a bit meh.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 26

Take a gander, everyone.

screen-shot-2012-06-01-at-11-31-11-am.png

Someone's trying to preempt someone else.

Though I guess this COULD just be the new maps system that Apple is using. 

post #12 of 26

I want Photos to be like iTunes Match -- everything lives in iCloud and is available on every device.

post #13 of 26

Tallest, Google has offered a birds-eye "3D" view for sometime now. I would assume this is additional enhancements for that

http://www.technewsdaily.com/3243-google-maps-sends-aloft-3-helicopter-view.html

Edited by Gatorguy - 6/1/12 at 9:04am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 26

A question for iOS developers. If an iPhone app currently calls the map function and iOS utilizes Google Maps, what will happen when they flip to their own map app? Will it now pull that instead?

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmark View Post
A question for iOS developers. If an iPhone app currently calls the map function and iOS utilizes Google Maps, what will happen when they flip to their own map app? Will it now pull that instead?

That's an interesting thought. If the application calls for iOS' maps, I should think it would pull from the new source instead of Google Maps. If the app uses its own Google Maps-specific functions, they'll have to be rewritten, obviously. Any WWDC preview that utilizes a different map source would give developers time to port their stuff over and make sure it jives with the new system.

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We hear the key reason why AAPL decided to do this is that it believes it can deliver a much better use experience in Maps..." 

That would be awesome.  Disliked the Maps app from day one with my first iPhone, the 3G.

And it hasn't gotten much better in 4 years.  I know Apple wrote Maps, but sorry.  It just isn't up to par.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #17 of 26

@ justmark re: "A question for iOS developers. If an iPhone app currently calls the map function and iOS utilizes Google Maps, what will happen when they flip to their own map app? Will it now pull that instead?"

I think we'll know in less than 2 weeks.

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's an interesting thought. If the application calls for iOS' maps, I should think it would pull from the new source instead of Google Maps. If the app uses its own Google Maps-specific functions, they'll have to be rewritten, obviously. Any WWDC preview that utilizes a different map source would give developers time to port their stuff over and make sure it jives with the new system.

The bad thing is, people work with a fixed budget. You budget an app, you create it, debug it, polish it, and when it is done you make another.

I would love to see you ( a theorical you, not "you Tallest Skil"... ) try to explain to the investor/boss that several days/hours of coding/testing/deploying and the unhappy users support due to people not updating their stuff are necessary due to Apple changing stuff.

I hope they do not make such a rash decision...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It'd be nice to be able to reorganize photos (even if they're just from the Camera Roll) into folders… Actually, I think I'll mock up some screenshots of what I'm thinking about… 

You already can. They added that with iOS 5. The only 'limit' is that it isn't removed from the Camera Roll same as the Photo Library is every synced photo from every synced album/event in one unified view. Both of which are annoying to some folks but I found it rather easy to ignore both quirks

As for Mr Wu. It's the same game as always, just repeating what he's read everywhere else and putting no thought into it. Like questioning if there would be any kind of major hardware announcement at Apple's key software conference, especially after they yanked the iPhone announcement last year. A thoughtful person would pose these questions if only to show that they are doing more than parroting everyone else

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 26

Here is to hoping this will bring location services to Canada sooner rather than later. All the Apple info had stated Canada would get those services in 2012...Almost half way through so fingers are crossed. 

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

24" iMac, 2 MB Pros, iPad Version 1, 2 x (iPhone 4s), Apple TV 3, a Shuffle and a couple of iTouches somewhere in the house. Spot on wall reserved for an Apple TV of some description. Oh yeah..and...

post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmark View Post

I assume that one of the reasons we are only now (possibly) seeing a release of Apple Maps using Apple's architecture and infrastructure is the effort to convert the Pushpin (from Placebase) APIs from JavaScript to Objective C.

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Agreed. I don't need 3D drawn maps. Street view is all that matters, and turn-by-turn GPS would be a great way to compete with Android phones that have this feature without buying 3rd party GPS programs.

Turn by turn GPS is baked into some Windows Phones as Nokia Drive and works really well.

post #23 of 26

ooohhh...

How about Airdrop for iOS6?

With Apple’s easy-to-understand interface, an iOS AirDrop feature could make sharing between Macs and iOS devices and between iOS devices (or dare we say to Android devices?) beyond simple.  (thanks 9to5)

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

ooohhh...
How about Airdrop for iOS6?

With Apple’s easy-to-understand interface, an iOS AirDrop feature could make sharing between Macs and iOS devices and between iOS devices (or dare we say to Android devices?) beyond simple.
  (thanks 9to5)

Have you used AirDrop? While it's simple to use it's not natural feeling and I suspect many users aren't going to understand how it works much like many "technical" people still don't understand how Dropbox works*.

It's a nice, secure way to share files between two devices over WiFi when both users are on the AirDrop window/app but I have found it to be so slow that just logging into the shared local network to copy and then have the other user retrieve from the share was considerably faster. For that reason I've failed to use it outside of general testing.

Of course, things could have gotten better since its debut but it still uses a unique way of using the WiFI cards to created a secure ad-hoc tunnel to another device that it seems to find via Bonjour when both choose to access this mode. This would seem to be a great way to move files between devices but I can't help but wonder: 1) Does the WiFi chips in iDevices have this ability; 2) Is it secure in that it can't be used by rogue apps to access the AirDrop APIs it shouldn't or send data it shouldn't; 3) Is it still so slow that sending via iMessages, SMS/MMS, email, photo sharing, or iCloud sharing wouldn't be a more effective method customers are likely to understand more fully; 4) While users on a Mac are more likely to send various data files around outside of apps is Apple ready or willing to alter that to allow out of app transfer of data on iOS?

* Even this week I joined a shared folder on Dropbox where "technical" people decided to delete the files from their system once they were finished with them instead of just deleting the share folder itself to leave the share.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #25 of 26

3D is so-so? Really?? Apple bought C3, a mapping company a little while ago, and that's what's going into the new Maps. Actually, it will BE the new Maps. Stunning Bird's Eye views and extremely accurate.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-acquires-c3-technologies-for-next-generation-3d-mapping-29191834/

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

3D is so-so? Really?? Apple bought C3, a mapping company a little while ago, and that's what's going into the new Maps. Actually, it will BE the new Maps. Stunning Bird's Eye views and extremely accurate.

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-acquires-c3-technologies-for-next-generation-3d-mapping-29191834/

It will probably be very impressive and worth a demo because of the visual natural of 3D and Apple wanting to show off how smoothly they can render 3D maps on their handheld device but I can't imagine it being the reason that Apple will switch from Google Maps to their own mapping backend.

Jobs has stated many, many times that they will partner with companies that do a better job than they do which is why we've had Google Maps as the backend for so many years. He was even asked in 2010, I think, at All Things D why they were still using Google for Maps when they had so much tension with them over Android. For Apple to switch to their own backend tells me that they likely have a maps solution that is better than what Google offers for the most common use factor, not just a flashy feature.

One thing I'm concerned about is the loss of Street View. I don't use it often but when I do I want it to work well. Now the 3D mapping company they bought can mimic some of Street View but not if you're talking about large building in narrow streets. it's physically impossible to get the appropriate angles needed. So will Apple license only Street View from Google? Will they not include it all? Do they have their own vehicles that have been mapping countries from the road? Regarding that last one, Google has very obvious cars on the road painted with Google colours with huge balls affixed to the top. If Apple choose to do it they could use a truck or van that is naturally higher off the ground and have more tech inside if they want to then use the C3 tech to do street level 3D (and perhaps even crunch data in a way that will remove people and other cars from the rendering even before it gets uploaded to Apple). While I doubt this is the case since it would be a brilliantly kept secret I do think it fits nicely into Apple's philosophy.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/3/12 at 9:15am

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • 'Greatly enhanced' iOS Maps, upgraded Camera & Photos apps expected at WWDC
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 'Greatly enhanced' iOS Maps, upgraded Camera & Photos apps expected at WWDC