or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says

Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says

post #1 of 80
Apple will reportedly include system-wide Facebook integration in the newest version of its iOS mobile operating system, adding to the current authentication and sharing capabilities offered by Twitter in iOS 5.

A report from TechCrunch claims that Apple and Facebook are on the brink of striking a deal to bring the social media giant's substantial assets to future iDevices with built-in iOS 6 integration, and the Cupertino-based company will supposedly announce the new feature at WWDC this month.

During his interview at the D10 conference on Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke of Facebook and when asked about deeper integration of the social network in iOS he teased the possibility, saying "stay tuned." The move would bring a greater level of flexibility to Apple's mobile platform, offering access to the nearly ubiquitous "Log in with Facebook" authentication method as well as system-wide sharing abilities.

Apple has previously shown interest in bringing Facebook into the iOS fold and an iOS 5.1 beta revealed that the two companies were at least working on some sort of solution.

It is thought that Facebook integration will be fashioned in much the same way as Twitter is set up in iOS 5, giving users the ability to share photos, websites and other content with friends and followers.

One major improvement to the existing Facebook iOS interface would be a more streamlined one-click sign-on to the multitude of websites and apps that offer Facebook authentication, especially beneficial especially for those programs that use the service as an exclusive means of entry. In order to sign in with Facebook in iOS 5, a user clicks on a Facebook connect button which opens the Facebook app. After agreeing to allow access to various metrics in a user's account, iOS automatically switches back to the original app. The solution is hardly ideal and is seen as more of a workaround to not having true built-in integration.

Twitter is said to remain in iOS with its capabilities fully intact and the addition of Facebook will represent another value-added feature for iDevice users.

Facebook Connect
Current implementation of Facebook Connect in iOS 5.1.1 as seen in the Readability app for iPad.

It should be noted that until Apple or Facebook makes an official announcement, the rumor remains just that and either company can back out at the last minute. A prime example of how tenuous a relationship the two companies share is Apple's Ping social music network, which was widely rumored to have Facebook support. The deal ultimately fell through due to what Apple co-founder Steve Jobs referred to as "onerous terms."

Apple's WWDC will kick off on June 11 and run through June 15.
post #2 of 80

Boo~.

Though it's virtually a given.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #3 of 80

Yea~

post #4 of 80

Finally.

Facebook is just massive. This is an important feature in terms of social network integration, which is becoming a very big deal in the bulk of the market. 

post #5 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Boo~.

Though it's virtually a given.

Agreed.  I couldn't care less about Facebook.  

The thing that's worrying me is that there are so many options on the list that pops up when you want to share an item that it's getting a bit ridiculous already.  I hope iOS 6 gives us the option to manage which services show up and which do not. 

post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
The thing that's worrying me is that there are so many options on the list that pops up when you want to share an item that it's getting a bit ridiculous already.  I hope iOS 6 gives us the option to manage which services show up and which do not. 

Apparently you don't see those at all if you don't use the services.

post #7 of 80

Ditto here...how is this good again? So every "friend" will now know which game or app I am using with those stupid FB-forced logins?

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #8 of 80

^^^

I've never encountered any FB-forced logins, nor Twitter-forced logins, nor any other forced logins, apart from the usual Apple/iOS specific ones. 

post #9 of 80

This is a very poor decision by Apple and to me, simply scary.

And for everyone else, what happens when Facebook is just another deadspace?  

post #10 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

^^^

I've never encountered any FB-forced logins, nor Twitter-forced logins, nor any other forced logins, apart from the usual Apple/iOS specific ones. 

You must be joking - have you seen how many apps now practically force you to have a FB login in order to use them?

post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post
This is a very poor decision by Apple and to me, simply scary.

And for everyone else, what happens when Facebook is just another deadspace?  

They remove it from the OS. Simple. We don't have HyperCard support anymore, you know. lol.gif

That day can't come soon enough.

post #12 of 80

Will we still have to use the POS Facebook app that doesn't work half the time?

post #13 of 80
Quote:

Apparently you don't see those at all if you don't use the services.

I don't have Twitter configured in iOS5,  however I still get a button to "tweet" photos.    Can that be disabled?

I don't care how many "social networking" hooks they put in iOS, just let us turn them ALL off and don't annoy us with them unless we want it...

Remember "the computer for the rest of us"

post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post
I don't have Twitter configured in iOS5,  however I still get a button to "tweet" photos.

Hmm. Okay, never mind. I could have sworn that sounded wrong, too.

post #15 of 80

If you're not on Facebook or Twitter or whatever, it shouldn't matter to you.. but there are millions of iOS users on Facebook and Twitter, and this kind of deep integration matters to a lot of these people.

post #16 of 80

Yet they may still place a cookie and track your browsing even if you're not a Facebook member.  But I've no doubt that members here who were uncomfortable with Google knowing too much about them will be much happier and more at ease with Facebook integration in iOS.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303302504577327744009046230.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEADTop

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #17 of 80

The Share Sheets in iOS are very convenient. Don't underestimate how important it is for Facebook to be on that list. It's not necessarily Apple that is the underdog in this deal.

post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Ditto here...how is this good again? So every "friend" will now know which game or app I am using with those stupid FB-forced logins?

Agreed. I almost did that for Draw Something until I saw all the stuff they were asking for permission to access. Most of which I felt they didn't need. So I cancelled. 

That info access is part of why I suspect that Jobs turned down Facebook for Ping. Exclusivity might have been another item Facebook wanted that he didn't want to agree to. It might have been seen as better for the service if folks had a choice of several services they could use to find folks or share things they wanted to cross post. 

in terms of games I sometimes wish that Apple required all games that wanted to use a connection network to also support Game Center and for identical uses (so long as the APIs exist for said function). GC only has what info I give it and that's basically nada. I don't even have to use the same ID I use for the store or iCloud. I can use any email I want and even put in a fake public name if I choose. I like that kind of choice

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #19 of 80
Quote:

I don't have Twitter configured in iOS5,  however I still get a button to "tweet" photos.    Can that be disabled?

I don't care how many "social networking" hooks they put in iOS, just let us turn them ALL off and don't annoy us with them unless we want it...

Yep, same here. A tweet option appears when I export photos.

Apple needs to add an option to disable twitter, failbook and other social network options for those people who do not want them.

And I also notice how certain companies are advertising offers or special deals if you go and give them a facebook "like". What a retarded marketing campaign, and they will get no money or sales from me, as I'm not on facebook.

post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

If you're not on Facebook or Twitter or whatever, it shouldn't matter to you.. but there are millions of iOS users on Facebook and Twitter, and this kind of deep integration matters to a lot of these people.

It matters, as long as it shows up. As long as there is an option to disable, then it's fine.

post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

Will we still have to use the POS Facebook app that doesn't work half the time?

or one of the third party ones. just like you do with Twitter. cause you know you can post but you can't actually see your feed without another app

post #22 of 80
Quote:

or how about removing the print button unless you are near an AirPrint compat printer. 

post #23 of 80
Quote:
Facebook is just massive.

So was AOL.

(So much so that Apple included a special setting for AOL in the modem-equipped Airport base stations. It's still there in the last firmware revision.)

To those who say this shouldn't effect anyone who doesn't use Facebook, at a surface level it adds more clutter to the various interfaces that include it. But it's also more code that needs to be secured and maintained, and we all know that the only bug-free code is the stuff you don't include.

post #24 of 80

It doesn't matter to devs either, there is an existing FB api. This is a real non event.

I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #25 of 80
Quote:

Do you have the app installed?

If that's not the case maybe that is something that'll be fixed in iOS6. I've been FB free for two years now. Feels good.

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #26 of 80

Whatever. Just as long as I never hear the word 'Google' ever again at an Apple event.

post #27 of 80
Quote:

They remove it from the OS. Simple. We don't have HyperCard support anymore, you know. lol.gif

That day can't come soon enough.

A new version of HyperCard that let you create web-based apps using HTML5 would be very cool.   With ties to iCloud.   Now that would be something useful.

post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You must be joking - have you seen how many apps now practically force you to have a FB login in order to use them?

No, I'm not joking. 

Name the apps. 

I've got hundreds. 

The ones currently active on both my iPhone and iPad don't force you to use a Facebook login at all. I'd be happy to list them, screenshots and all. 

And in terms of tighter Facebook integration. This was always a given. And Apple would be stupid to ignore the Facebook juggernaut. When it fails like AOL (and you hope it does) *then* they can merrily remove that integration. As for now, it's a huge selling point, and Apple can no longer afford to employ niche-thinking when control of the mainstream is so very important. This isn't 20 years ago. It doesn't make one damn bit of difference that AOL failed. What, you think Apple will pass up the potential mindshare and desirability gained from FB integration because FB might or might not fail 3 years from now? That's ridiculous. Apple doesn't only need to skate where the puck is going, they need to a) get on what's hot NOW, and b) do the service or feature right. It makes no sense that the world's best mobile devices - that is, Apple smartphones and tablets - don't offer a complete social networking experience, when social networking at large has become such a powerful and pervasive force. You might like to think FB will fail, but social networking will not. Apple MUST address this reality fully and completely. And currently, it's either Facebook or Twitter. And they feel Facebook is the broader, more popular option. I see no reason to second-guess them on that. 

Frankly, it's a bit surprising that some AI members aren't able to think beyond their 5 feet of personal space and consider wider market implications. It's like I'm on MacRumors or something. 

Edited by Quadra 610 - 6/1/12 at 3:08pm
post #29 of 80

Facebook SDK is completely garbage... integrating it in apps is not a fun process. Having to verify with Facebook app or Safari just to get the wall is not a great user experience. I read they are trying to deprecate in-app authentication and force the previous mentioned.

So yes, this is a bitter sweet welcomed feature. Anything to get past the pain of FB SDK.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #30 of 80
Quote:

No, I'm not joking. 

Name the apps. 

I've got hundreds. 

The ones currently active on both my iPhone and iPad don't force you to use a Facebook login at all. I'd be happy to list them, screenshots and all. 

And in terms of tighter Facebook integration. This was always a given. And Apple would be stupid to ignore the Facebook juggernaut. When it fails like AOL (and you hope it does) *then* they can merrily remove that integration. As for now, it's a huge selling point, and Apple can no longer afford to employ niche-thinking when control of the mainstream is so very important. This isn't 20 years ago. 

Frankly, it's a bit surprising that some AI members aren't able to think beyond their 5 feet of personal space and consider wider market implications. It's like I'm on MacRumors or something. 

That is because you authenticated at one time or another. It maintains the session on your phone. But once one of the apps asks for more information, it will ask you to permit it again.

Quote:

Quote:

post #31 of 80

My view is: How much security is being sacrificed if Apple loads down IOS, and probably the computer OS with integral Facebook capabilities?  Does Apple have some sort of gentleman's agreement with Facebook to allow data harvesting even when one is not a Facebook subscriber?

I look upon Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Flickr, and other such data-mines as being an application.  If I want it, I will buy it and install it, or in the case of a freebie, pull it down and install it.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for these social network apps to be something you get whether you like or want it, or not.  If I wanted to throw my computers and tablets open for data mining, I'd save a several hundreds of dollars and buy Android stuff.  At least Google is open about their invasiveness.

One could argue that iLife comes with each Mac. That is correct. But one can also delete those programs with very little effort.  

I like my Apple gear, but don't face Cupertino five times a day and bow.  If this sort of thing becomes an Apple "feature", I 'll just move back to Windows when my Apple gear begins to die and not look back.  If I'm to have security holes, Microsoft and Dell charge far less for them.

A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post
How much security is being sacrificed if Apple loads down IOS, and probably the computer OS with integral Facebook capabilities?

None.

Quote:
 Does Apple have some sort of gentleman's agreement with Facebook to allow data harvesting even when one is not a Facebook subscriber?

That's not Apple's bag. They better darn well not.

post #33 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/150426/facebook-ios-integration-to-be-announced-at-wwdc-report-says#post_2119649"]It matters, as long as it shows up. As long as there is an option to disable, then it's fine.

It doesn't matter if you know how to ignore things you don't care about. All human beings should know how to do that. We all see things we don't care about every day. This Facebook integration in iOS should be the same as Twitter where I just ignore and don't ever press the Tweet button since I don't have a Tweeter account.. No big deal.
post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

That is because you authenticated at one time or another. It maintains the session on your phone. But once one of the apps asks for more information, it will ask you to permit it again.

I can go into my FB account right now and view which apps have access. A mere fraction of what I use daily. And I've got 3 pages on my iPhone, with several full folders - from Air Sharing and GoodReader to Pages, to photo apps, to cloud service apps, PDF viewers, text editors, you name it.  

YMMV, but the majority of apps don't require any social network authentication at all. It would be ludicrous if they did. 

post #35 of 80

I've not seen apps that require it, but there are many on-line news sites that require a Facebook account in order to make a comment on an article.  This is a trend that is growing.  Granted, not being able to comment on an article does not exactly rank with being deprived of water in Death Valley.  But unless the site has some deal worked with Facebook for data mining, why do they do this?

post #36 of 80

It hasn't been their bag in the past. But, as someone pointed out in another thread, this is not 20 years ago.  Apple is, in general, a decent company. That can change.

post #37 of 80

Wonder how much Apple is going to have to pay Facebook for this "privilege".

post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

It doesn't matter if you know how to ignore things you don't care about. All human beings should know how to do that. We all see things we don't care about every day. This Facebook integration in iOS should be the same as Twitter where I just ignore and don't ever press the Tweet button since I don't have a Tweeter account.. No big deal.

It's estimated that by the end of this year, the number of active FB users will hit 1 billion. And you can bet that a lot of them are iOS users. FB integration is clearly an important feature that will help Apple achieve even more relevance.

Now imagine what this FB integration means for FB users who don't have an iDevice. Big selling point. 

post #39 of 80
Quote:

It's estimated that by the end of this year, the number of active FB users will hit 1 billion. And you can bet that a lot of them are iOS users. FB integration is clearly an important feature that will help Apple achieve even more relevance.

Now imagine what this FB integration means for FB users who don't have an iDevice. Big selling point. 

And how many of those "active" accounts are duplicates or bots?

The number of accounts is irrelevant.  Facebook is an advertising company.  The only thing that matters is page impressions and click through rates.

Anyways, how does integrating FB into iOS help solve Facebooks issue with click through rates and mobile???

(Unless Apple is paying them for the privilage or they are going to find a way to spam the user with ads.)

post #40 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Anyways, how does integrating FB into iOS help solve Facebooks issue with click through rates and mobile???

This doesn't even matter. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Facebook iOS integration to be announced at WWDC, report says