or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Peak Oil: The Real Reason For The "Arab Spring" In Egypt, Syria, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peak Oil: The Real Reason For The "Arab Spring" In Egypt, Syria, etc. - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

lol.gif People with half a brain. While I'm not a supporter of the peak oil theory ( as I think we do have awhile yet ) that doesn't mean forever and the things we'd have to do to get at it ( ruining the enviroment in the process ) would make it a reason to look to alternatives.

 

And please don't try to tell me nothing would happen there's lots of examples of what could go wrong :

 

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

 

So no one with with fully functioning brain is skeptical of global warming?  Did I read that correctly?  I ask because I don't want to strawman as you do.  Is that your actual position?  

 

Secondly, thanks for the informative wikipedia link.  As if we didn't know about the fucking BP spill.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

lol.gif People with half a brain. While I'm not a supporter of the peak oil theory ( as I think we do have awhile yet ) that doesn't mean forever and the things we'd have to do to get at it ( ruining the enviroment in the process ) would make it a reason to look to alternatives.

 

And please don't try to tell me nothing would happen there's lots of examples of what could go wrong :

 

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

 

So no one with with fully functioning brain is skeptical of global warming?  Did I read that correctly?  I ask because I don't want to strawman as you do.  Is that your actual position?  

 

Secondly, thanks for the informative wikipedia link.  As if we didn't know about the fucking BP spill.  

Hey if someone's going to ignore the obvious whatcha going to do?


Edited by jimmac - 7/12/12 at 7:19pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Hey if someone's going to ignore the obvious whatcha going to do?

It's like beating your head against a brick wall. Some people just like being the brick wall just for the fun of it.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

 

Dubious?  The article cites facts.  Past predictions were wrong...very wrong.  This is no surprise, as they've always been wrong.  We always end up with far more oil than initially "proven."  It doesn't mean we can just use oil in perpetuity.  But it does mean we have many years to eventually transition away from fossil fuels. Now, if the Left would just let us develop our natural gas and domestic sources in the interim while supporting nuclear power, we might be on to something.  

I agree with you that the peak-oil-scenarios are outdated and often exaggerated to serve a certain politics. And I also agree with you on the warming-earth-topic: The warming caused by us humans is negligible to the warming caused through the earth's natural warming-cycle. And I also don't think that a warming earth is a bad thing per se. After all more warming can create new possibilities for plant-life in previously not so nice areas of the earth.

 

There's no black-and-white in this: Warming can cause problems for us humans in certain places but overall it will balance out, getting worse somewhere, getting better elsewhere. We just need to adapt.

 

But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to research alternative sources of energy. After all using coal makes the air less breatheable, using nuclear energy is a play with matchsticks, not to speak of the radioactive endproducts that will be a time-bomb for future generations as well as possible targets for terroristic attacks or for accidents like in Chernobyl or for natural desasters causing accidents like in Japan.

 

So I'm all for getting rid of nuclear energy as soon as possible and for use of oil, gas and use of wind, solar, bio-reactors and other things.

I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
Reply
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
Reply
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

I agree with you that the peak-oil-scenarios are outdated and often exaggerated to serve a certain politics. And I also agree with you on the warming-earth-topic: The warming caused by us humans is negligible to the warming caused through the earth's natural warming-cycle. And I also don't think that a warming earth is a bad thing per se. After all more warming can create new possibilities for plant-life in previously not so nice areas of the earth.

There's no black-and-white in this: Warming can cause problems for us humans in certain places but overall it will balance out, getting worse somewhere, getting better elsewhere. We just need to adapt.

But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to research alternative sources of energy. After all using coal makes the air less breatheable, using nuclear energy is a play with matchsticks, not to speak of the radioactive endproducts that will be a time-bomb for future generations as well as possible targets for terroristic attacks or for accidents like in Chernobyl or for natural desasters causing accidents like in Japan.

So I'm all for getting rid of nuclear energy as soon as possible and for use of oil, gas and use of wind, solar, bio-reactors and other things.

Finally some common sense. Apart from the extreme scenarios it's obvious nuclear is no-go for the future, and oil&gas, even if unlimited, still have issues of dependency on foreign countries, etc. Free energy for the rest of your life... Wouldn't you want that? Hint: It's not going to come from nuclear or oil&gas.
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Apart from the extreme scenarios it's obvious nuclear is no-go for the future

 

What makes this so "obvious?" It isn't obvious at all. Nuclear can be a great energy technology and significant advances have been made in its safety.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

...and oil&gas, even if unlimited, still have issues of dependency on foreign countries, etc.

 

:rolleyes:

 

I suggest that you start to end your dependence on everything foreign to your own person. Let' see where that lands you. (Note: I already know the answer.)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Free energy for the rest of your life... Wouldn't you want that?

 

Ahhh...we have a sci-fi Utopian among us.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Hint: It's not going to come from nuclear or oil&gas.

 

Hint: It's not coming from anywhere.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Peak Oil: The Real Reason For The "Arab Spring" In Egypt, Syria, etc.