or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung takes cue from Apple, unifies US branding of Galaxy S III

Samsung takes cue from Apple, unifies US branding of Galaxy S III

post #1 of 88
Previous Galaxy smartphones had different brand names at different U.S. carriers that potentially confused consumers, prompting Samsung to brand its latest flagship smartphone as just the Galaxy S III at all four major U.S. wireless providers.

Samsung's first Galaxy S was known as the Samsung Fascinate at Verizon, the Captivate on AT&T, the Epic 4G on Sprint, and the Vibrant with T-Mobile. Similarly, the Galaxy S II was branded as the Skyrocket at AT&T, the Epic 4G Touch at Sprint, and the Titanium at T-Mobile.

That plethora of names may have made the branding too confusing for consumers, and weakened Samsung's ability to compete with Apple's flagship iPhone 4S smartphone. As a result, executives with Samsung this week have emphasized the fact that the Galaxy S III will feature the same name at all four national wireless carriers in the U.S., according to The Wall Street Journal.

Unique names for smartphones have been driven by carriers, who want to differentiate their offerings to generate interest in their own brand. But Apple has loosened the grip carriers have on smartphone makers by using the same iPhone branding at all carriers, and also handling most of its own advertising for its smartphone.

"Now Samsung is trying to follow the Apple playbook, and getting the carriers to come along," authors Evan Ramstad and Anton Troianovski wrote. By having one consistent brand in the U.S., Samsung will be able to focus its advertising strategy on a single product, and differentiate itself from other Android handsets.

Despite the fact that the Galaxy S III will be known by the same name at all four major U.S. carriers, Samsung will still customize the software on each phone for the respective carriers. That's one area where Apple has never caved in to carriers' demands, refusing to preinstall what some users deride to as "junkware" on the iPhone.

Galaxy

Samsung has yet to announce a launch date for the Galaxy S III in the U.S., but it will debut as early as this month for $199 with a two-year contract. It will be available on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, as well as U.S. Cellular.

Samsung unveiled the quad-core Galaxy S III earlier this month. It features a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED screen, a 1.4-gigahertz processor, one gigabyte of RAM, and available capacities of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes.

The Galaxy S III launched in 28 countries across Europe and the Middle East last week, competing head-to-head with Apple's iPhone 4S. Apple is expected to respond with its next-generation iPhone this fall, a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S.
post #2 of 88

Carriers must have realized that they will sell more phones under the Samsung Galaxy brand than under their own idiosyncratic brands.

Let's hope that with Samsung getting more brand recognition they will gain some self esteem and will imitate Apple less.

post #3 of 88
Quote:
Apple is expected to respond with its next-generation iPhone this fall, a year after the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Um... Apple doesn't respond, they just come out with hardware/software when they deem it is ready.  I don't see how you can see this as a response to the Galaxy S III.  Apple is the trend setter here and is not in the "trying to catch up to the trend setters" group.  I'm probably just nit picking, though.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #4 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Carriers must have realized that they will sell more phones under the Samsung Galaxy brand than under their own idiosyncratic brands.

Let's hope that with Samsung getting more brand recognition they will gain some self esteem and will imitate Apple less.

and trolls like you will disappear? i mean, all of your posts are hilarious.

about the galaxy S3..

sounds like an awesome phone. my problem with it is the brand power of the "galaxy" name. i really believe that no one would change a 4s or the coming iPhone for this one, but all geeks and irrational android fans (basically all of those that prefer "top" android phones to iPhones) will buy this one. it's a "hype" phone.

it is bad for awesome phones that are as good or better than this one, like the oneX, the upcoming xperia line, etc.

post #5 of 88

There is nothing this company will not copy

Let me just re-iterate how ugly this phone is.  You may say beauty if subjective, I say this is a general consensus here 

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #6 of 88
Same named phone across all carriers was the norm before the smartphone boon. Don't see how it has anything to do with the iPhone.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #7 of 88
Quote:

Buy now copying Apple's branding policy they will become more confident and copy Apple less? You may have that backwards. 

post #8 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Buy now copying Apple's branding policy they will become more confident and copy Apple less? You may have that backwards. 

I don't think they copy Apple's branding policy. I understand that is the spin Ai wants to give to the story, but I don't want to be dragged into stupid arguments.

Just speculating here, alternative interpretations are most welcome: Samsung wants to sell as many phones as possible. Understandably, they would want to do so under a strong Samsung brand. If they used to sell their phones under a plethora of names until not long ago, they must have felt that their brand wasn't strong enough, so they let the carriers put their stamp onto the phones. I believe that there has been a shift in power and now Samsung has the confidence to market the device as a Samsung phone, not as a Verizon or AT&T phone manufactured by Samsung.

post #9 of 88
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #10 of 88

galaxy-copycat.jpg

post #11 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

There is nothing this company will not copy

Let me just re-iterate how ugly this phone is.  You may say beauty if subjective, I say this is a general consensus here 

"general consensus" is redundant - that's what a consensus is - general agreement.

post #12 of 88

If you want to cover Android devices, just do it without trying to artificially relating it to Apple.  These handset makers put out a new Android 'flagship' practically every month to get the Fandroids to trade in their 'ancient' 3-6 month old device for the latest sci-fi named handset with the latest Google dessert named OS.   

post #13 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previous Galaxy smartphones had different brand names at different U.S. carriers that potentially confused consumers, prompting Samsung to brand its latest flagship smartphone as just the Galaxy S III at all four major U.S. wireless providers. ...

Sadly, there are still over 20 or so different mobile phones and tablets made by Samsung at any given time that are "Galaxy" something or other.  This is one tiny move in the direction of sensibility, but why on earth do they think this is a good strategy to have all the different names/devices in the first place?

I was helping a friend with an Android phone just the other day (LG not Samsung), and it took me 15 minutes to find out exactly what the model was.  The person who had it had owned it for half a year and they didn't know what it was either.  "The guy at the store told me it was a '99'," was all he knew.  

Needless to say this turns something even as basic as finding the user manual for the thing into a nightmare.  It's like these companies actively want to screw over their customers or something. 

post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it is bad for awesome phones that are as good or better than this one, like the oneX, the upcoming xperia line, etc.

It's just your opinion though on what phones are "as good or better."  The Xperia line for instance, that you say is "good" is the shittiest line of Android phones I've encountered so far.  

I haven't seen all the Android phones by any means, but I've seen quite a few Xperia's and ever one of them was the worst kind of crap.  The users I know that have Xperia's hate them also and wish they hadn't bought them so it isn't just me.  

post #15 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post
…trade in their 'ancient' 3-6 month old device for the latest sci-fi named handset with the latest Google dessert named OS.   

You mean running the one from two years ago that the manufacturer will promise to update to this year's version but never does. Or does, two years later when it's now four versions behind.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #16 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's just your opinion though on what phones are "as good or better."  The Xperia line for instance, that you say is "good" is the shittiest line of Android phones I've encountered so far.  

I haven't seen all the Android phones by any means, but I've seen quite a few Xperia's and ever one of them was the worst kind of crap.  The users I know that have Xperia's hate them also and wish they hadn't bought them so it isn't just me.  

well, it was just an opinion. i think that the oneX is as good or better than the s3 (even spec wise.)

the new xperia line has (for example) better camera than the s3, audio (???) and it looks so much better... really nice phones.

I have a mini pro from 2010.. it was a nice upgrade from my motorola v550 :) lol

this phone has cost me 200€. it has to live more 3 years. then, iPhone.

post #17 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

LL

It's either designed by lawyers or inspired by iPhone. Together it doesn't make sense.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #18 of 88

Apple could design a phone that deliberately gives it's users brain cancer, and Samsung would still copy the feature, simply because Apple is using it. Then Samsung would say "Hey, uh, public domain, right guys?"

Samsung truly is the "The Asylum" of cell phone manufacturers; the crappy direct-to-dvd movie studio Asylum, that is...

post #19 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
It's either designed by lawyers or inspired by iPhone. Together it doesn't make sense.

Cool, I get to cite a username as my response!

And then ask in rebuttal, "What makes the two incompatible?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
Samsung truly is the "The Asylum" of cell phone manufacturers; the crappy direct-to-dvd movie studio Asylum, that is...

My father and I are actually currently MST3K-ing many of their movies. In some scenes, the mocking almost stops being fun because of just how terribly they're done.

Maybe we should go to a Best Buy and MST3K Android phones. lol.gif

post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Previous Galaxy smartphones had different brand names at different U.S. carriers that potentially confused consumers, prompting Samsung to brand its latest flagship smartphone as just the Galaxy S III at all four major U.S. wireless providers..

Saying that they're taking a cue from Apple is a bit misleading.

They seem to be practicing good marketing principles. Now that they have emerged as the clear non-Apple smartphone leader, they want to take advantage of their brand and create a unified brand. Not only does a single brand reduce their marketing cost, but also adds value to the organization by cross-fertilizing other products.

The next step is to learn that it will likely strengthen their brand further if they have a limited number of very high powered products rather than 10,000 mostly similar products. The plethora of smartphone models on the market is not benefiting anyone - even the consumers end up getting hurt because the confusion makes it less likely that they'll do the research to find the best product and because it drives up the cost.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #21 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Sadly, there are still over 20 or so different mobile phones and tablets made by Samsung at any given time that are "Galaxy" something or other.  This is one tiny move in the direction of sensibility, but why on earth do they think this is a good strategy to have all the different names/devices in the first place?

I was helping a friend with an Android phone just the other day (LG not Samsung), and it took me 15 minutes to find out exactly what the model was.  The person who had it had owned it for half a year and they didn't know what it was either.  "The guy at the store told me it was a '99'," was all he knew.  

Needless to say this turns something even as basic as finding the user manual for the thing into a nightmare.  It's like these companies actively want to screw over their customers or something. 

How hard was it to go into settings->about phone? It's pretty much the same with the iPhone.
post #22 of 88
Quote:

That's my take, as well. Samsung Galaxy ads are the only other non-carrier smartphone ads I can recall outside the iPhone so it would behoove them to maximize their popularity with more congruent branding.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cool, I get to cite a username as my response!

And then ask in rebuttal, "What makes the two incompatible?"

The whole 'designed by lawyers' theory was started by an article on AndroidPolice. When Apple sued Samsung for their smartphone design, they had a list of "tips" for Samsung on how to design a phone that wouldn't infringe on Apple's IP. The Galaxy S III ticks almost all of the boxes.

Therefore, if you're claiming that the phone was designed by lawyers, you're claiming that it was intentionally made to be very different from the iPhone. From this point of view, the statements are obviously incompatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

To those who haven't seen it yet, I wholeheartedly recommend Mega Piranha. Definitely one of the most hilarious movies ever.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #24 of 88
Quote:
Therefore, if you're claiming that the phone was designed by lawyers, you're claiming that it was intentionally made to be very different from the iPhone. From this point of view, the statements are obviously incompatible.

They would have had to use a template to know what not to infringe.

post #25 of 88

................So this is apple news because.................

As for the phone. Nice phone, interesting features, hope apple copies the direct call, smart stay and pop-up play.......

.......But why not just use real metal for the silver band? I mean, if you want to use plastic for the phone, no problem, but don't use plastic and make it 'look' like metal. Cause when the phone gets dinged, it will look terrible, that chipped 'metal' band. 

post #26 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They would have had to use a template to know what not to infringe.

Not necessarily. They could just use Apple's list of requirements.
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
iPad 3, Galaxy S4
post #27 of 88
Quote:
They could just use Apple's list of requirements.

… Which are based on the iPhone.

post #28 of 88

So designed by "Humans" and "Inspired By Nature" would be a contradiction in your mind. lol.gif

post #29 of 88
Quote:

So designed by "Humans" and "Inspired By Nature" would be a contradiction in your mind. lol.gif

post #30 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

and trolls like you will disappear? i mean, all of your posts are hilarious.

about the galaxy S3..

sounds like an awesome phone. my problem with it is the brand power of the "galaxy" name. i really believe that no one would change a 4s or the coming iPhone for this one, but all geeks and irrational android fans (basically all of those that prefer "top" android phones to iPhones) will buy this one. it's a "hype" phone.

Believe it or not, Some people expect more then what apple gives them. Some people don't want to compromise the features that mean more to them like for the S III, screen size. Please realize even normal people are paying more money on att to buy a HTC one X then it would be to buy a similar priced iPhone. People don't have to be apple haters to love an android phone. 

post #31 of 88

Ol' Sammy at it's best: Being the shameless copycat.

post #32 of 88

Still need to get rid of the crapware and use the stock Android OS.

post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How hard was it to go into settings->about phone? It's pretty much the same with the iPhone.

It was difficult to even *find* the settings app, let alone anything about the phone.  There is a row of capacitive keys on the bottom that often don't work well and have differing results depending on what area of the phone you are in at the moment.  It's all terribly confusing for no good reason.  If I recall correctly, when we found the settings, the name/number listed there was both indecipherable and different from what the phone said on the front.  So, no help really.  We had to go to the web and search, which gave us three or four possibilities and then narrowed it down from there.  

The point is that it's entirely unnecessary to have to do this.  As it turned out there were a dozen or so phones which were in fact the same phone but had different names depending on where you were on the planet and who you bought it from.  This is just insane IMO.  

I think in the past (pre-iPhone days) this was done specifically to confuse the consumer and to make it more likely that they would throw the thing away rather than try to fix it or alter it themselves (and thus have to buy a new phone more often), but screwing over your customers is a dodgy strategy at best.  The more enlightened of them will not like this practice.  

Edited by Gazoobee - 6/4/12 at 12:46pm
post #34 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentx View Post

no...

designed by lawyers to not infringe on the iPhone would mean that it was designed in spite of the iPhone not because of it...

unless Apple were inspired by the WinMo phones before it when they came out with iOS right? Considering it was designed very differently than what existed before.

post #35 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Believe it or not, Some people expect more then what apple gives them. Some people don't want to compromise the features that mean more to them like for the S III, screen size. Please realize even normal people are paying more money on att to buy a HTC one X then it would be to buy a similar priced iPhone. People don't have to be apple haters to love an android phone. 

Hard to call them the "Normal" people since the "Normal" smart phone buyer on AT&T is buying an iPhone by overwhelming margins.

post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Hard to call them the "Normal" people since the "Normal" smart phone buyer on AT&T is buying an iPhone by overwhelming margins.

Can't argue with that, lol. 

Its kinda like PC and Mac at this point in the smartphone world

post #37 of 88

Shouldn't this have been obvious to Samsung in the first place??

It's as if common-sense branding is something completely foreign to the industry outside of Cupertino. 

If Apple weren't in the picture and if Apple hadn't changed the game in the way the industry handles carrier relationships, would everyone continue to roll over for the carriers and completely water down their branding?  Probably. 

post #38 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Shouldn't this have been obvious to Samsung in the first place??

It's as if common-sense branding is something completely foreign to the industry outside of Cupertino. 

If Apple weren't in the picture and if Apple hadn't changed the game in the way the industry handles carrier relationships, would everyone continue to roll over for the carriers and completely water down their branding?  Probably. 

Yes, it should have been obvious from the start.

It is possible that the carriers insisted on it before the success of the iPhone, though.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #39 of 88

They should just name it the Samsung Vibrator at all four carriers.

post #40 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

They should just name it the Samsung Vibrator at all four carriers.

may need to explain that joke, i don't get it. From the looks of it, it is way too huge to it inside of a woman's genitals. Something smaller like an iphone would really be a better fit. 

Then again, there are some women with fairly large cavities....

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung takes cue from Apple, unifies US branding of Galaxy S III