or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro in-store pickup inventory slips ahead of WWDC

Mac Pro in-store pickup inventory slips ahead of WWDC - Page 2

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple announced the end of Xserve ahead of the end of availability. You really think they'd wait until the day after WWDC to announce EOL?

Merely suggesting that they might remove stock from stores first.  The article has been updated since I posted so my comment is moo.

post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

possibilties

1. Apple is killing the Mac Pro and this is just the result of them not restocking. 

2. Apple is revamping the Mac Pro and this is just them result of them not restocking the old model cause it would piss off their business customers if someone bought a Pro now and in a week or even a month there's  a new one. THey would demand to exchange it and strongly so Apple's trying to force everyone into holding off a bit longer

3. Apple has decide that stocking the Mac Pro in stocks is basically a waste of space due to lack of high sales and the pro will be an online only item. As is

4. Same as #3 but with some kind of change although it might be just a processor bump etc and not a total redesign of the case and such as well

If it's a lower volume item close to a refresh, it makes sense not to restock stores so as to taper down volume ahead of a refresh. A cancellation would most likely see some kind of sunset as they did with the Xserve. In cases where a mac pro  is needed or a smaller company needs backup machines, they'd have the option to buy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Put an AMD Trinty into a base machine to serve the Mini market and leave the performance market to Intel hardware. Easily done. This gives users completely different machines even if they are in the same box with similar I/O. One shouldn't underestimate just how well AMDs fusion chips work when stacked against Intels choices.
Let's face sit the Mini has been in a downward spiral for some time. Sales are lagging and the hardware configuration really sucks for this decade. For a couple of days now there has been no association of a Mini refresh with WWDC. Apple could easily cover the Mins Market share with a smartly configured low end Mac Pro.
One word to keep in mind: stagnet! The entire desktop line up has been around to long, major refreshes are in order.

I tend to wonder how they see the mini. They sell it in such a weird way. Even on the non-server, they are sold without a keyboard and mouse at that price. It's always felt like an awkward piece of reverse engineering to me, like they're trying to squeeze a high margin from an entry level product. Also the discrete card mini should have received more vram. That card is essentially a low to midrange card, but it's implemented with 512-1GB of vram in laptops. Considering that many applications with gpu requirements have been setting 512MB minimum requirements since last year, I find this silly in a model that is considered an upgrade. It's just some models they really don't balance as well as others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

This desktop design has been around since summer of 2003. I would say that NINE years is an extraordinary amount of time for any design, but it's an eternity for a computer. I am very curious what Apple will do with their flagship desktop.

They rebranded it as a workstation. Those designs don't change as quickly. Workstations tend to focus quite a lot on stability. Even chipsets tend to last longer with reference boards lasting for two cycles. If this is a spec bump, it's reasonable to expect that Ivy Bridge would be the same thing (most likely late next year), with any major changes postponed to Haswell. Obviously many things can change in that amount of time, given that you won't see Haswell Xeons in this type until at least 2014 if the rumors have any credibility. Right now the internet theory seems to be post June 2013 for Ivy Bridge E. 

post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I would like to see a case redesign. I think it needs to be smaller in size...about the size of the PowerMac G4. I don't see any reason for it to be so large today. I understood the original design with the G5 and air flow, but now days its just a large and very heavy tower. 

I agree, the PowerMac G3 and G4 were much more like normal mid-tower PCs. The G5 was huge for airflow reasons, then with Xeon they went the full workstation.

I'm with you, I would prefer the mid-tower Mac made a comeback.

Also, if they want to increase volume, the old developer discounts they used to give resulted in quite a few Mac Pro sales as I recall.

post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Man, has it been 6 years already!? I got my MacPro 2.0GHz 1,1 back in 2006. Thing's still running like a champ. I heard, though, that Lion is the last OS it'll be able to support.

I've upgraded the hell out of it: 32GB RAM, four internal 2TB HDDs and 512GB SSD startup disk (occupies the 2nd optical drive bay), ATI 5770 video card, internal LG Blu-Ray drive, etc., pushing a 30-inch Cinema Display. 

I think it has quite some life left. My only regret is not sticking with Snow Leopard. Lion has proved finicky and has some bugs, but they haven't been serious enough to get me to spend the time and effort to regress. 

Cheers, MacPro! 

Damn. What a beast of a computer. Precisely a million times the RAM of my 6502 based box from the eighties....

Anyway, I had a deal for an '06 Pro fall through recently. The specs of your model make me think that it would still be a cheap way to go since I already have a nice monitor. Maybe prices will come down even more after WWDC.

I use a Mini for photography, and my 7D's big RAW files are crushing it.
post #45 of 51

Probably worth mentioning the first Mac Pro was announced and displayed at WWDC 2006, so not out of the realm of possibility. Although I gotta say, a MacBook Pro with Retina display would make a more exciting announcement, since it's not only a more popular model, it demonstrates HiDPI, a new OS feature. WWDC is about software, after all. The Mac Pro in 2006 was the first 64-bit Intel Mac, if I'm not mistaken, thus tying into the software aspect of the conference.

Though I think we're getting our hopes up here. I predict the same or slightly shorter case, room for only one optical drive rather than two (hence the shorter case), new Xeons (of course), two, possibly three thunderbolt ports, USB 3, newer video card, and that's pretty much it.

I don't think it'll be rack mountable, I don't think it'll have redundant power supplies, and it'll retain its slots, maybe lose one (again, allowing the case to be made smaller). The slots are faster than thunderbolt - they're needed.

post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Though I think we're getting our hopes up here. I predict the same or slightly shorter case, room for only one optical drive rather than two (hence the shorter case), new Xeons (of course), two, possibly three thunderbolt ports, USB 3, newer video card, and that's pretty much it.

I don't think it'll be rack mountable, I don't think it'll have redundant power supplies, and it'll retain its slots, maybe lose one (again, allowing the case to be made smaller). The slots are faster than thunderbolt - they're needed.

I say if it's not getting discontinued (possible) and not just getting a spec bump (probable), the new case would have no optical drive, a redundant PSU BTO option, two or three PCIe, still four HDD bays, and Thunderbolt out the wazoo.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

9to5 says a new case. "Experimenting with a rackable design" and such. 

Who's to say.

I sure hope not; I have a small museum with this case design, all lined up; looking nice. For nostalgic reasons, obviously. A rack mountable version would only make sense if they include LOM, redundant PSU and the lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This still doesn't mean the model is being refreshed.  Apple could be removing in store stock as they shift to a online only order process ahead of announcing the EOL date.  Similar to what happened with the Xserve.

But that's just me being Mr. Negative pants.

That is just being realistic, objective. Nothing negative about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

I don't follow the CPU specs near as much as I used to, but I keep reading of some Xeon E5 chips that are supposedly much better than the ones in the Pros now (mine is a 6 core "Westmere" chip). The question I have is whether or not the line is refreshed, is there any way one could do a CPU swap with a current machine? Or am I indulging in whimsical fantasy?

For questions like these, I always turn to http://mpgproworkstation.com/ amongst other sites, obviously.
Quote:

Huddler censors links...

The first time I read something innovative from Huddler. No, no sarcasm here. Really, the amount of issues with this new forum software is quite large. Not that vBulletin was perfect, but still...
Quote:

I say if it's not getting discontinued (possible) and not just getting a spec bump (probable), the new case would have no optical drive, a redundant PSU BTO option, two or three PCIe, still four HDD bays, and Thunderbolt out the wazoo.

I sure hope they make all the PCIe slots 16 lanes for max speed. I am thinking on buying more PCIe SSD's and not be bothered with 1953's invention of HDD's. Would love to improve on the 1200MB/s that is available now. Yes, yes, capital B. See here:

Wow! The 960GB model performs GREAT and offers huge capacity: stripe two 960GB units and get 1.9 TB of internal storage running at ~1200MB/sec! Perfect for serious power users looking for “the max”
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Damn. What a beast of a computer. Precisely a million times the RAM of my 6502 based box from the eighties....
Anyway, I had a deal for an '06 Pro fall through recently. The specs of your model make me think that it would still be a cheap way to go since I already have a nice monitor. Maybe prices will come down even more after WWDC.
I use a Mini for photography, and my 7D's big RAW files are crushing it.

Never intended for this to be a solicitation, but I might be selling it due to a new kid and the resulting loss of my man-cave. PM if interested. I'd need to get a badass NAS to support the TONS of music/photos/media my MP currently serves to my TiVos, Apple TVs, and so on. 

post #49 of 51

"The article has been updated since I posted so my comment is moo."

I'm glad you're not easily cowed.

/someone had to...

A big heart is commendable, an enlarged heart is a medical condition.
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friendly Grizzly View Post
I'm glad you're not easily cowed.

Timshot.jpg

*ba-dum tsh~*

post #51 of 51
Quote:

Timshot.jpg

*ba-dum tsh~*

Thank you, thank you!  More in a moment, folks. Oh, and be sure to tip your waitress.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Mac Pro in-store pickup inventory slips ahead of WWDC