or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio

Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You need to open your mind a little bit. Making the iPhone slightly longer without adding significant width would drastically improve usability of the pocketable device. Don't get hung up on all the tweaking around aspect ratios. Instead think about how a wider screen is the best way for Apple to improve usability, especially in landscape mode.
I say this with great sincerity as I'm typing this response on my iPhone right now. The text in this edit pane is too small and the scrolling right and left a pain for editing and verification is a pain in the butt. The key here is how do you improve the users experience without turning iPhone into a huge brick, I don't know of a better solution than a wider screen.

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png

post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png

Exactly.  I think the Nexus S screen size is excellent.  Of course their display tech sucks, but the size is my personal preference.  

post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Typical.

We say "bigger," they hear "longer."

... Wider is better, not longer.

Too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png

If they made the phone longer (in landscape)/taller (in portrait) I'm guessing they wouldn't keep the same amount of keys on the keyboard in landscape mode. It would accommodate more keys like a shift key on either side, comma and semicolon keys, quote keys, etc. We would have the same amount of screen real estate in landscape that we do now.

--

For craps and giggles I present the next iPhone "mockup":

New iPhone.jpg

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #44 of 72

Yeah, I'm sorry, a longer iPhone wasn't what I had in mind. Other posters are right when they say it would still be a beautiful device and we'll all still run out and buy it, but it's not what I was hoping for. If anything, I'd rather not making ANY changes to the screen size. 

post #45 of 72

I would prefer to see an increase in width as well, even if it is edge-to-edge. The iPhone is too narrow to type accurate even via auto-correct in portrait mode. I prefer using portrait mode to display more lines of text. In landscape mode, I can barely even see what I am typing.

post #46 of 72

If Apple doesn't change the screen size, people will complain.  If they do change the screen size, people will complain.  

post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

If Apple doesn't change the screen size, people will complain.  If they do change the screen size, people will complain.  

Which group is larger is what counts in the end.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

If they made the phone longer (in landscape)/taller (in portrait) I'm guessing they wouldn't keep the same amount of keys on the keyboard in landscape mode. It would accommodate more keys like a shift key on either side, comma and semicolon keys, quote keys, etc. We would have the same amount of screen real estate in landscape that we do now.

WRONG, even if they keep the same height keyboard by black boxing or adding number keys, you still have less real estate because the rest is enlarged.  The only way you would have the same real estate would be to black box the whole screen and if you did that, then why enlarge the screen in the first place.

16-9a.png

post #49 of 72

I doubt that this would be 'the new iPhone'. They had good reasons to call the iPad that way. 

post #50 of 72
Same rumor, echoing off a different part of the internet.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Is that the old "the majority is always sane" explanation?

It doesn't always ring true. lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Larger or just noisier with tech pundit credentials.  Each time there's an Apple product launch or product upgrade, can be certain that Apple will get bashed for doing too much or too little and of course with Steve Jobs being gone now, they add in the "Apple is losing their mojo and Steve Jobs wouldn't do that, Tim Cook is dull, failing, blah, blah"  When the iPhone 4S was announced, it was called a dud and failed to impress until the sales figures came in.  Ultimately that's what really counts.  

post #53 of 72
That's one fugly looking phone in the mock up and alleged leaks... Its very hard to believe Steve ok'ed this and world on it until the end.
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Please stop posting from this guy/person.

He has NO insider sources. None, nada, zip.

Everyone of his "reports" comes out AFTER all the rumor sites and leaks occur.  I have never seen this guy post an original report. The only work this guy does is attach a title of "analyst" and throws out the far fetched things.

Which makes him (whether right or wrong) an ANALYST (someone who analyzes/evaluates/attempts to integrate existing information/history/trends) rather than a REPORTER (someone who digs up and reports new information). D'oh.

(It also makes him like nearly all of the posters here, except that he makes a living at it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted in the article:

The analyst noted that the above specs would represent a valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved user experience derived from having a larger screen.

However, in the "there I fixed it" department, what he meant to say was "....the above specs would represent a hopefully valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved selling experience for AAPL derived from having a larger screen."  

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #55 of 72

I think they will make the keys in landscape mode wider but not taller. So no problem here.

post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lengthening the screen without making it wider would serve more than just an ergonomic purpose.

If true, then this will be how Apple increases battery size to handle the rumored LTE radio's higher power needs

while also making the new iPhone thinner.  The extra pixels won't draw too much more power, especially if

Apple is able to use IGZO LCD technology.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone display analysis

I do not need a longer phone. We need a bigger screen!

iphone5.png

post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
I do not need a longer phone. We need a bigger screen!

You're getting a bigger screen. Also, your proposed screen is longer as well, so I'm getting mixed messages.

And we always need the Home Button.

post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens..............apple goes for bigger screens.

Google does maps....apple does maps

google does voice actions......apple does siri

android does drop down notification......apple does drop down notifications

android does multi-tasking.......apple does multi-tasking

Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front (if iTV is true)

What's next? itube? imail? iface unlcok?

lol

Even though it wasn't implemented yet, Google probably copied Apple. Probably an idea that was about to morph into a rumor.

post #60 of 72
Quote:

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens..............apple goes for bigger screens.

Google does maps....apple does maps

google does voice actions......apple does siri

android does drop down notification......apple does drop down notifications

Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front (if iTV is true)

What's next? itube? imail? iface unlcok?

lol

Apple will go for a bigger screen because it's a natural progression, not because a lesser competitor did it. They just didn't feel the need to rush into it.

Google does maps and then left it to stagnate for years only to get their act together when Apple announced their own maps.

Google maps is for everyone, Apple maps are for Apple products.

Google does voice actions, Apple showed them how it was supposed to be done.

Android wasn't the first to do drop down notifications.

Multitasking is a natural progression.

And are you honestly saying the Samsung is the first manufacturer to make a flat TV with an uncluttered front!

Android face unlock is dire, I quite often see friends staring inanely at their phone trying to get it to unlock just to have to unlock it manually anyway.

At least if Apple do face unlock, it'll work.

post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that the old "the majority is always sane" explanation?

It doesn't always ring true. lol.gif

lol.gif

Naw... I just meant that the group that will buy the most phones will be the one that counts in the end.  Sanity has never had anything to do with it...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I think they will make the keys in landscape mode wider but not taller. So no problem here.

So how will that work when the keyboard pops up in an app set to the original 3:2 size?

post #63 of 72

i hope it is not true....... :(

Apple is the only computer manufacturer that i know of currently that offers 16:10 laptops... If they go to 16:9 on the iPhone i fear laptops are soon to follow :(

Golden Ratio ftw :D

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post
Apple is the only computer manufacturer that i know of currently that offers 16:10 laptops... If they go to 16:9 on the iPhone i fear laptops are soon to follow :(

If the leaked images are to be believed, we'll still have 16:10 laptops for a while.

post #65 of 72
Quote:

WRONG, even if they keep the same height keyboard by black boxing or adding number keys, you still have less real estate because the rest is enlarged.  The only way you would have the same real estate would be to black box the whole screen and if you did that, then why enlarge the screen in the first place.

16-9a.png

Why are you you increasing the height of the keys? You're not losing pixels in landscape mode. Everything isn't going to just increase in size. The notepad app would gain more real estate laterally. The Notes and Done buttons wouldn't get bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So how will that work when the keyboard pops up in an app set to the original 3:2 size?

Probably revert to the 3:2 keyboard. Not ideal but, hey, neither is adding black bars.

post #66 of 72
Quote:

i hope it is not true....... :(

Golden Ratio ftw :D

With a dock at the bottom and the menu bar at the top there is less perceived screen real estate than a windows screen at the same resolution.

16:10 makes more sense for OS X.

post #67 of 72
Quote:

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens and smaller screens..............apple goes for one screen
iPhone does Google maps....Android does Google maps
Apps do voice actions......Google does voice actions
Jailbroke iPhones do drop down notification......Android does drop down notifications
Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front better (if iTV is true)

Fixed

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If the leaked images are to be believed, we'll still have 16:10 laptops for a while.

YAY! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likkie View Post

With a dock at the bottom and the menu bar at the top there is less perceived screen real estate than a windows screen at the same resolution.

16:10 makes more sense for OS X.

Yes, but sadly Apple is incorporating16:9 into multiple designs (if next iPhone will be 16:9)... including 1 laptop..... 

Personally i think Apple will make it 16:10 if they do deviate from 2:3 because it looks like their is plenty of space on benzel and if they could find a manufacturer for the screen it would make iPhone i lot better (than 16:9).

Also, my experience with Mac OSX (actually quite a bit, i probably do 60-70% windows 7 and the rest OSX) has been Apple should have the 1680 by 1050 screen default on MBP 15', but that is a different matter. :)

post #69 of 72
Quote:

[pointless images removed from post but not my memory]

I mean this with all due respect but either you're trolling you're logic is fucking ridiculous. Every mock up you've made has it using more vertical pixels in landscape more than it currently uses. Even while trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because you keep reposting it I can't for the life me understand why you think a wider display would force Apple to use more of pixels along the perpendicular angle or why you can't see that if they kept the same pixel height for the keyboard (which they aren't required to do since they have more play with the width) they still have about 20% more room for the text field because the display is wider.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
YAY!
I used to be a fan of the 4:3 of the 12" PB. I think the 16:10 of the 11" MBA doesn't allow for enough vertical height for my needs. However, I think with Retina Display Macs we could eventually see even wider screen machines because of the crispness offered for smaller details. Not in this upcoming release, but perhaps in about 5 years when they revamp the lines again
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/6/12 at 5:52pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #70 of 72
Quote:

YAY! 1smile.gif

Yes, but sadly Apple is incorporating16:9 into multiple designs (if next iPhone will be 16:9)... including 1 laptop..... 

Personally i think Apple will make it 16:10 if they do deviate from 2:3 because it looks like their is plenty of space on benzel and if they could find a manufacturer for the screen it would make iPhone i lot better (than 16:9).

Also, my experience with Mac OSX (actually quite a bit, i probably do 60-70% windows 7 and the rest OSX) has been Apple should have the 1680 by 1050 screen default on MBP 15', but that is a different matter. 1smile.gif

I think the laptops will hold their aspect ratio. The smallest Air might be 16:9 because they couldn't reduce the width of the computer and still keep the full keyboard buttons, but they could cut out some of the screen height to make it as compact as possible, given that it's Apple's most-compact unit. If Apple was moving away from 16:10 notebooks, then they probably would have switched both the Airs when they did an upgrade. That's not ruling out an actual switch, but it sure would be real nice if they did keep 16:10 for the rest of the models.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/6/12 at 9:05pm
post #71 of 72
Quote:

16-9a.png

Or you know you can just make the keys wider without making them taller...but that would too easy I guess. :roll eyes:

post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

All Apple has to do is release two models, two sizes (or even 3). Everyone will be happy.

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Mac IIcx, Mac Quadra 800, Mac Performa 5200, Power Mac 8600, LaserWriter, iPhone 3G, iPad 3G, iPhone 4S | MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, iPad 3 LTE

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio