or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability - Page 2

post #41 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.
Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

 

 

Can you compare two screens

 

1024x786 

 

to

 

1024x600

 

People are fearing the next iphone will become the later in landscape, less info.

 

EDIT:


I have used the power of my work PC to develop this representation of what I mean

 

Both fit to width, 960 on one, 1136 on other.   

 

sidebyside.png


Edited by cycomiko - 6/6/12 at 3:19pm
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #42 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I mentioned in another thread why what you're saying here is foolish. Did you read that?

 

Buttonless phones with 90+% screen-to-body ratio is the future.

It seems like you and Apple are going to get stuck in the past.

post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
It seems like you and Apple are going to get stuck in the past.

 

Well, I'm sure glad that apps never crash or freeze and lock up the system in any way at any time, that's for sure. Particularly on Android.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #44 of 123

Five bucks says no matter what is announced, the whining will not stop.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #45 of 123

This thing is going to look great for a remote control for the apple tv set... As a phone...ugggghhh... Apple think they can do no wrong these days? Let's see them releasing almost the same design, just a bit thinner and with a metal back and the same width screen width at 16:9... boy is it going to sell well...

post #46 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
Five bucks says no matter what is announced, the whining will not stop.

 

A bet that easy and you don't go for "a new iMac says"? lol.gif

 

The good bets would be ones that predict specifically what the whining will cover.


Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post
Apple think they can do no wrong these days? Let's see them releasing almost the same design, just a bit thinner and with a metal back and the same width screen width at 16:9... boy is it going to sell well...

 

We now take you to AppleInsider on December 15, 2012:

 

"The report for last month's smartphone sales are in. First is the new iPhone. Second is the iPhone 4S. Third is the iPhone 4. Fourth is the Samwhatever Galaxy v. whatever-they'll-be-on-by-then. Fifth is… "

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #47 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.
Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

Wow, I guess when you don't understand someone else, you can always resort to insults (and completely irrelevant political references). 

 

If a web page is designed to take up the device's width, making the iPhone wider will make the existing content larger, but show less content vertically since it is narrower. Imagine viewing a tall website like the New York Times in landscape mode. Either on iPhone 4S or "iPhone 5", it'll display the whole thing left to right. But vertically, the 16:9 "iPhone 5" would show less. 

 

I'm not saying this is a huge problem (holding it in portrait, it will show more content), but it's a valid point. You embarrass yourself. 

post #48 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

A bet that easy and you don't go for "a new iMac says"? lol.gif

 

The good bets would be ones that predict specifically what the whining will cover."

 

There's too much whining for me to address specifics. :D  (@!#$!!... still no smileys?)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.
Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

He spent time in room 101

post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow, I guess when you don't understand someone else, you can always resort to insults (and completely irrelevant political references). 

 

If a web page is designed to take up the device's width, making the iPhone wider will make the existing content larger, but show less content vertically since it is narrower. Imagine viewing a tall website like the New York Times in landscape mode. Either on iPhone 4S or "iPhone 5", it'll display the whole thing left to right. But vertically, the 16:9 "iPhone 5" would show less. 

 

I'm not saying this is a huge problem (holding it in portrait, it will show more content), but it's a valid point. You embarrass yourself. 

 

I had added this to my earlier post, but it needs repeating.

 

sidebyside.png

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #51 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
There's too much whining for me to address specifics. :D  (@!#$!!... still no smileys?)

 

Yeah. :this_is_a_placeholder_filename_for_the_sad_emoticon,_lost,_it_seems,_in_a_world_of_forofor.png:

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #52 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yeah. :this_is_a_placeholder_filename_for_the_sad_emoticon,_lost,_it_seems,_in_a_world_of_forofor.png:

Ha!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #53 of 123
Also worth noting, The "one handed iPhone" excuse has always been bull$#!t. Phones haven't been single handed since Touchscreens started being used, and that includes the iPhone at ANY size.

All these articles are just damage control for when people were trying to defend Apple retaining the 3.5" screen on the 4S. Expect to see the same BS reporting when touchscreen Macs arrive.
post #54 of 123
Sigh. The vast majority of use is one hand. I use one hand to scroll , my thumb. To type small bits, and use the free hand to type larger emails etc.

My thumb also hits buttons. I use the free hand to pinch Zoo
That's standard usage.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Sigh. The vast majority of my use is one hand. I use one hand to scroll , my thumb. To type small bits, and use the free hand to type larger emails etc.
My thumb also hits buttons. I use the free hand to pinch Zoo
That's standard usage.

 

Corrected it for you

Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #56 of 123

I think I cracked the riddle and it is staring us right in the face.  Apps developed with 16:9  aspect ratio will be optimized for both the new iphone AND the not-yet-announced iTV (and vice versa)  It almost seems, however, like iPAD would  have to go 16:9  at  some  point...

post #57 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


First let me say this is another garbage AI article better suited for a slow news day!
As to your comments I'm not sure why everybody gets hung up on aspect ratios. Going 16:9 gives both the user and developer more screen to work with, without making the device awkwardly larger. A longer device will fit the pocket much better than a wider device.
The big advantage comes when viewing documents and doing just about any sort of editing. The current iPhone screen is a real pain in the butt when working with documents or web edit boxes like this one. I really don't understand the negativity here. Further if Apple was smart this really wouldn't be a "new" iPhone but rather a new cell phone added to their line up. Different people have different needs and the single form factor iPhone solution makes about as much sense as having a single size laptop.

Offering the choice of a 3.5" device or a 4" device isn't really much of a choice. If you're really trying to appeal to different demographics then there should be a more significant difference between the two models.

 

If I thought offering two different sizes of iPhone was the best strategy I'd keep one phone with the current 3.5" screen and introduce a new 4.5" model. The smaller one would retain a 640x960 resolution while the larger one would use the exact same 326ppi LCD cut into 720x1280 panels.

 

That's essentially what's happening in the Android market. A vast array of screen sizes and shapes is slowly boiling down to what is essentially a binary choice:

1. big 720p screens with the latest high performance specs and Android 4.0

2. compact phones that fit easily into a shirt pocket and typically run Android 2.2 or 2.3.

 

Unlike Android, I would ensure both sizes of iPhone had excellent performance and the same OS.

 

I think Apple could afford to target both the compact and large form factor markets, but won't. I think they're fixated on the one-size-fits-most approach of offering only a single product with the simple name "iPhone". Continuing to offer older models at lower price points is the only market differentiation they appear willing to make.

 

Going with a single 4" 640x1136 iPhone makes sense. It offers a little more screen and a little more battery without significantly harming one handed operation for men. Based on my observations women typically use two hands to interact with their smart phone screens so making the phone a bit bigger won't make any difference to them.

post #58 of 123
I seem to learn something new every day here. I just would never in a month of Sundays have guessed that all hands are an identical size.
post #59 of 123

GUESS WHAT? BIGGER PHONES MEAN YOU CAN PUT BIGGER BATTERIES INTO THE PHONE =.=

 

sorry, this just popped into my head and i had to say it :)

 

EDIT: 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankshott View Post

I think I cracked the riddle and it is staring us right in the face.  Apps developed with 16:9  aspect ratio will be optimized for both the new iphone AND the not-yet-announced iTV (and vice versa)  It almost seems, however, like iPAD would  have to go 16:9  at  some  point...

 

 

 

... 16:9 is an inferior aspect ratio, except for watching widescreen movies.  16:10 and 4:3 (current) are much more useful...

 

plus 16:10 is "the golden ratio"  first, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio#Aesthetics

 

second see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:10 AND  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widescreen#Computer_displays

 

note:

 

Quote:
In 2011, Bennie Budler, product manager of IT products at Samsung South Africa, confirmed that monitors capable of 1920x1200 resolutions aren't being manufactured anymore. “It is all about reducing manufacturing costs. The new 16:9 aspect ratio panels are more cost effective to manufacture locally than the previous 16:10 panels”

 

16:9 was mainly used because it is cheaper =.=, Apple is more about aesthetics PLUS 16:10 is better in almost every way unless all you do is watch movies...

 

note, i am using wikipedia because it is accurate for this :).


Edited by nicolbolas - 6/6/12 at 5:27pm

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #60 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

 

And sadly if Apple folds into the 16:9, like many other manufacturers have i think i will not be able to buy a laptop i like.  

 

The way i see it if they make this 16:9 is means that they plan to make everything into 16:9.... :(

Although, the iPhone's current screen of 3:2 isn't really anything special tbh.... i think that 4:3/16:10 woulda been better.... BUT, i trust that it was unfeasable and 3:2 was best option.

 

ON that note, i hope Cook doesn't appear to succeed (like so far) than bring Apple to 16:9 :(

 

May I assume that you are still a strict adherent to the Domino Theory in Southeast Asia? 

post #61 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'm trying to think of an instance in which one would hold a phone in landscape with just one hand. "Watching a movie" is all I can think of, and then you have your thumb available to hit play/pause, etc.

 

..and your other hand free for um..uhh.. driving the car.

post #62 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post
..and your other hand free for um..uhh.. driving the car.


You joke, but have you seen some of the people in this country? I don't really advocate the death of anyone anywhere for any reason, but these people need removed from the gene pool, because I don't think they're sentient.

 

Note that you can substitute basically anything for "this country" here. lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #63 of 123
I have used my iPhone with one hand about 80% of the time since 2nd gen. Especially at night for about 30-45 minutes before going to bed.
post #64 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's an interesting article.  I buy the battery life thing, but do Apple really need to worry so much about one handed use?

 

Out of interest, how many people find their interaction with the iPhone is with one hand?  Personally, with the exception of answering a call, I never use it with only one hand.

A lot of people actually do, in currently in High school, and you would be surprised, all my friends have iPhones and our teachers dont care, but when we text we multitask so we text with one hand and do something with the other, i do it all the time. You would be surprised, oh, how many people listen to their iPods and iPhones in the car while driving, i know you shouldn't be looking at your phone while driving looking for a song, but plenty of people do it, using one hand is not as bad as using 2 hands while driving.

post #65 of 123

Screen size sounds good to me

post #66 of 123
If they do go to a 320 PPI display that does only affect the size of current elements by less than 2% so it won't be noticeable on older apps but that does mean they need new display production. Perhaps they are maxed out producing 326 PPI displays but that sounds like a more costly and less efficient method than simply creating more 326 PPI manufacturing for the 1136x960 displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

This thing is going to look great for a remote control for the apple tv set... As a phone...ugggghhh... Apple think they can do no wrong these days? Let's see them releasing almost the same design, just a bit thinner and with a metal back and the same width screen width at 16:9... boy is it going to sell well...

Just like the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S were fraking market and financial disasters for Apple¡ :rolleyes:

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #67 of 123

You're holding it wrong.

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply

   I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

Reply
post #68 of 123

Wouldn't this also mean a larger iPod Touch too, see how as it's been a bit since a new model has came out, and it would be a good refresh too, especially for gamers.

post #69 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

 

May I assume that you are still a strict adherent to the Domino Theory in Southeast Asia? 

...

 

No.  I believe it was a stupid theory.

 

However, Apple has never (to my knowledge) used 16:9...

 

And WHY would they use it in their phone if they can fit a 16:10 screen (based off example photos given).  Note, 16:10 is considered "The Golden Ratio" and VERY aesthetically pleasing.

 

Apple is about aesthetics... lets be honest, they made a glass phone. I do not care how strong the glass is.  Its glass.

 

Anyhow, notice how they NEVER did anything publically with 16:9 until Steve Jobs was dying... (that i knew of, sorry if i am wrong).

 

I fear for my non-widescreen format.

 

 

Also, if you want to refute my points please do.  But just saying domino effect does not do that ~.~

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #70 of 123

The reason why Apple won't use the 16:10 golden ratio is because that wouldn't mesh  as well with legacy apps.  The 16:9 is more clean since the width of the screen is identical to the current  screen.

post #71 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

...

No.  I believe it was a stupid theory.

However, Apple has never (to my knowledge) used 16:9...

And WHY would they use it in their phone if they can fit a 16:10 screen (based off example photos given).  Note, 16:10 is considered "The Golden Ratio" and VERY aesthetically pleasing.

Apple is about aesthetics... lets be honest, they made a glass phone. I do not care how strong the glass is.  Its glass.

Anyhow, notice how they NEVER did anything publically with 16:9 until Steve Jobs was dying... (that i knew of, sorry if i am wrong).

I fear for my non-widescreen format.


Also, if you want to refute my points please do.  But just saying domino effect does not do that ~.~


All Apple TV UIs - 16:9
11" MBA - 16:9

Rumoured 1136x640 iPhone - Close, but NOT 16:9

Note that they've had plenty of Macs and iPods over the decades that have radically altered their aspect ratios. If 16:10 was the golden ratio then why is the new Nano a 1:1 display? The obvious answer should be that your Golden Ratio, which isn't even 1.60, isn't golden for every display in the world. Also note the Golden Ratio has been known for thousands of years so why you've brought it up now as proof that an iPhone with a 3:2 display couldn't be 16:9 is boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankshott View Post

The reason why Apple won't use the 16:10 golden ratio is because that wouldn't mesh  as well with legacy apps.  The 16:9 is more clean since the width of the screen is identical to the current  screen.
1021x640 up through 1027x640 would be 16:10. The question isn't if they could do it as it's clearly just shy of the near 16:9 of the rumour, the question is why would they hinder usability and the user experience to use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Wouldn't this also mean a larger iPod Touch too, see how as it's been a bit since a new model has came out, and it would be a good refresh too, especially for gamers.
2010, a few months after the iPhone 4 was released. It definitely needs a refresh.
Edited by SolipsismX - 6/6/12 at 8:52pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #72 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Android phones have been experimenting with different screen sizes since their beginning. Since many manufacturers have many models... there are tons of different screen sizes.
And now... tall 4 inch and larger 16:9 models make up the bulk of Android phones sold today.
People don't seem to mind them.
371

 

Agreed. Whenever I pick up my little 3.7 HTC WP7 device, versus one of my HTC Android phones, I find the size difference to really show in how comfortable the device is to hold for longer periods of time.

My Android phone is a 4.3 inch screen, which is very comfy in hand. The WP7 device cramps my thumb after single handed use for more than 20 minutes.

post #73 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


All Apple TV UIs - 16:9
11" MBA - 16:9
Rumoured 1136x640 iPhone - Close, but NOT 16:9
Note that they've had plenty of Macs and iPods over the decades that have radically altered their aspect ratios. If 16:10 was the golden ratio then why is the new Nano a 1:1 display? The obvious answer should be that your Golden Ratio, which isn't even 1.60, isn't golden for every display in the world. Also note the Golden Ratio has been known for thousands of years so why you've brought it up now as proof that an iPhone with a 3:2 display couldn't be 16:9 is boggling.
1021x640 up through 1027x640 would be 16:10. The question isn't if they could do it as it's clearly just shy of the near 16:9 of the rumour, the question is why would they hinder usability and the user experience to use it?
2010, a few months after the iPhone 4 was released. It definitely needs a refresh.

My bad than :)

 

And, my comment was about 16:9 to 16:10 in general.  I did get really of topic.

 

my point with 3:2 vs. 16:9 on iphone is the image makes it appear as if you could make the iphone 16:10 (which i believe would be better in almost every scenario).  

 

Also a huge reason many PC manufactures switched to 16:9 was to CUT COSTS!  Which Apple doesn't need to do.

 

EDIT: took out lots of pointless smilies 

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #74 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

my point with 3:2 vs. 16:9 on iphone is the image makes it appear as if you could make the iphone 16:10 (which i believe would be better in almost every scenario).

TV shows tend to be shot in 16:9.

Movies tend to use a much wider aspect ratio but 16:9 is closer than 16:10, but that's all really meaningless on such a small display, IMO.

The 16:9 could be most cost effective when they have to create individual displays from the sheets being made in the factory. Or it could be that they determined that for the average length of human phalanges and their placement on the hand they've found that 16:9 allows for a more ideal display to touch ratio for a given display size.

To me the bigger question is why they choose the very usual 3:2 to begin with. The 4:3 of the iPad makes perfect sense and I even argued that size a year before it was announced despite being told repeatedly that 4:3 aspect ratio was obsolete as if that makes any sense. I have plenty of theories as to why they choose 3:2 for the iPhone but none feel solid.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #75 of 123

Would you guys stop crying?  

Do you think Apple doesn't know what they are doing?  

Do you think Apple doesn't insanely test multiple prototypes first?  

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT APPLE???

 

Pre-WWDC excitement is ok.

Pre-WWDC rumors, oh my!  doom and gloom! is so annoying.

Just shut up and wait for Monday.

 

Thanks.

post #76 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.
Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

It's a matter of reflow. If the page behaves fixedly, he happens to be right. Obviously, the page should accommodate the view and hence he's, on average, wrong.

 

It's not a matter of having more area to display the page, it's a matter of the page, given a certain height, showing less content IF the width is higher and it doesn't reflow. As an example, imagine a picture with a certain aspect ratio, in front of a two centimeter high "window". If your "window" can grow as wide as you wish, and your picture can grow as wide as the "window", you'll eventually see less and less of the initial picture.

 

Apart from that, the pure "politics" aspect of your answer is ridiculous. I could pretend that your inability to put yourself in someone else's shoes (and hence understand why they believe what they believe) is a clear sign that the Republicans have twisted your mind. Found many mass destruction weapons lately in Irak? A healthy dose of thinking sometimes helps. Note: if you're from Eastern Texas, disregard all I wrote, you have a special legal statutory right to mind-blankedness.

 

:p

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #77 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Would you guys stop crying?  

Do you think Apple doesn't know what they are doing?  

Do you think Apple doesn't insanely test multiple prototypes first?  

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT APPLE???

 

Pre-WWDC excitement is ok.

Pre-WWDC rumors, oh my!  doom and gloom! is so annoying.

Just shut up and wait for Monday.

 

Thanks.

U mad bro? That's 90% of the fun of the week!

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #78 of 123

This is one of 3 requirements for me to jump from Android. I'll fully admit that my Galaxy Nexus can be cumbersome at times.  But a 3.5in screen is just too small.  And I'm in 31.  I can't imagine too many folks older than me are fans of smaller screens.  Apple fans will say it's all about the resolution.  I don't buy it.  At a certain point size matters.  I'd argue that around 4in you hit the sweet spot between screen size and handling.

post #79 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post
Would you guys stop crying?  

 

Pre-WWDC excitement is ok.

Pre-WWDC rumors, oh my!  doom and gloom! is so annoying.

Just shut up and wait for Monday.

 

Thanks.

 

You're new to this schtick, aren't you? lol.gif

 

You're also new to this site, aren't you? "Shut up and wait for monday" is what you do on discussions.apple.com. We're a rumor site.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #80 of 123

Put me in the taller AND wider camp.  Just taller would be kind of ugly.  You spend most of your time holding it in portrait mode and in that mode you need to grow the width too...unless you want a screen resembling the Kindle Fire.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability