or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability - Page 3

post #81 of 123

 

 

Quote:
Keeping the width of the next iPhone screen the same 640 pixels would also ensure that existing iOS applications written for the iPhone 4S and prior will still run on the device, simply with black "letterbox" bars on the top and bottom.

"If developers don't want to adapt software for iPhone 5, the App can still successfully show on the screen except for the blackened areas on two flanks," Kuo wrote. "That, however, won't prevent the app from functioning the way it's supposed to."

 

Completely ignored by Kuo and this article is backward compatibility for NEW apps.  Sure, old apps can run fine on the new display size.  But developers who want to take advantage of the new real estate will have to consider how to implement it so it works well on older iPhones, which presumably a lot of developers will want to do because the vast majority of the installed base will be older iPhones.  The last time this kind of transition happened was when the iPad was launched.  We had windowed mode and magnification for iPhone apps, iPad-only apps and universal apps for both iPhone and iPad.  Will the solutions be the same?  Legacy iPhone apps and apps whose developers don't want to re-engineer for the new aspect ratio will run in window mode, iPhone 5-only apps for developers won't don't want to design for the older screens, and then universal apps for all three aspect ratios?  I'm sure developers will adjust but what a pain for them to factor in another screen ratio into their design decisions.  Apple has obviously pulled off this kind of transition before but it's not as seamless as Kuo - and Apple Insider - presents it.  The pros of a new aspect ratio may outweigh the cons but the additional development time and money imposed by the new aspect ratio is real.


Edited by ddarko - 6/7/12 at 8:10am
post #82 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

That "single handed use" graphic is so goddamn ridiculous. Unless you have the hands of a child or you hold an iPhone with the edge on the very first thumb knuckle connected to your hand, it will always be useable with one hand. I can't believe people still post that kind of bullshit over and over again. I have NEVER seen anyone with any smartphone hold one like that person does in the picture. That is literally bullshit summed up in a picture. This stupid claim that the iPhone is a one-handed device because of it's width, and wouldn't be at any width wider than it currently is boggles the mind. It's literally a made up "feature" of the iPhone for idiots to latch on to any try and chalk it up as another reason the iPhone is somehow superior in it's design. If you hold your iPhone like that, you're most definitely doing it wrong. A wider device would make absolutely zero difference in one finger usability because literally no one holds their smartphone like that.

You make yourself sound ignorant by saying "literally no one holds their smartphone like that." Shift that pinky under the bottom corner and THAT'S how many people function, at least with iPhones anyway. The size of the iPhone caters to one-handed use beautifully, if you think it's ridiculous than you're only used to larger phones.

post #83 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post



Completely ignored by Kuo and this article is backward compatibility for NEW apps.  Sure, old apps can run fine on the new display size.  But developers who want to take advantage of the new real estate will have to consider how to implement it so it works well on older iPhones, which presumably a lot of developers will want to do because the vast majority of the installed base will be older iPhones.  The last time this kind of transition happened was when the iPad was launched.  We had windowed mode and magnification for iPhone apps, iPad-only apps and universal apps for both iPhone and iPad.  Will the solutions be the same?  Legacy iPhone apps and apps whose developers don't want to re-engineer for the new aspect ratio will run in window mode, iPhone 5-only apps for developers won't don't want to design for the older screens, and then universal apps for all three aspect ratios?  I'm sure developers will adjust but what a pain for them to factor in another screen ratio into their design decisions.  Apple has obviously pulled off this kind of transition before but it's not as seamless as Kuo - and Apple Insider - presents it.  The pros of a new aspect ratio may outweigh the cons but the additional development time and money imposed by the new aspect ratio is real.

Apple's development model allows there to be mostly common code for all screen variations but using different .nibs setting up the different displays. I don't think it's going to be a hardship, more an inconvenience of having to add another aspect ratio nib for each screen.
post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Apple's development model allows there to be mostly common code for all screen variations but using different .nibs setting up the different displays. I don't think it's going to be a hardship, more an inconvenience of having to add another aspect ratio nib for each screen.

 

It's not about whether it's technically easy to code for different screen ratios; it's about UI design choices. You might use the extra space for a interface element that works great on the new phone but is awkward on the smaller screen size so simply porting it back isn't optimal.  It'll work, technically, but it's not ideal.  We saw and still see this on universal apps that default to a common interface and don't take advantage of or wastes the space offered by the iPad.  Or apps that really work well on the iPad but not so much on the smaller iPhone.  Apple's flagship iPhoto app is an example - it's not a bad iPhone app but its interface blossoms on the iPad.  As I said, introducing a new aspect ratio may be a good thing overall but it'll introduce new design fragmentation concerns to the iPhone platform.  There is a tangible cost to this decision, it's rare you can have your cake and eat it too.


Edited by ddarko - 6/7/12 at 9:30am
post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

 

That picture is exactly how I hold my iPhone, except I tend to put my fifth finger along the bottom to keep the phone from slipping down.  And as a lefty, I want to thank Apple for conveniently putting the volume buttons on the left side!  I do think they should move the home button down and change it to short/wide capsule shape, which would leave more space for the screen.

 

Then you aren't holding it like the guy in the picture, and by holding it like you do I'm willing to bet $10 you can reach easily two inches past the edge of your phone with the tip of your thumb.

 

This entire thing about how the screen size is perfect for one hand use is complete and utter bullshit. Anyone that regurgitates that bullshit should be slapped. There's is nothing in the design of the iPhone that was done so it was a one hand use device. That's utter stupidity to suggest that and anyone who agrees or pushes this viewpoint is a goddamn moron. (not saying you do, and not directing the second part at you at all, just the article in general.)

post #86 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1e View Post

You make yourself sound ignorant by saying "literally no one holds their smartphone like that." Shift that pinky under the bottom corner and THAT'S how many people function, at least with iPhones anyway. The size of the iPhone caters to one-handed use beautifully, if you think it's ridiculous than you're only used to larger phones.

 

You make yourself sound ignorant when you say, change your grip from the one in the picture and it's no different. I said no one holds their phone like the person in the picture. If you change the way you hold it from the way it's pictured, then you aren't holding it that way. Are you really that stupid? Do you not have a clue what you just said? The iPhone is useable with one hand, and so are wider phones. This bullshit about how the iPhone is better than larger phones because of it's screen size/formfactor size is utter bullshit. I hold my phone the exact way you do. Guess what? My thumb can touch over two inches past the edge of my phone without risk of dropping it. The screen size/phone sie has absolutely nothing to do with how useable it is with one hand. The iPhone is a great phone and I've owned every single one that been made, nice ignorant assumption on your part there, but this whole bullshit surrounding the iPhone and it's great one handed usability is just that. Utter and complete fanboy idiot bullshit. EVERY smartphone is easily used one handed if you  don't hold it like an idiot would.

post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post
Then you aren't holding it like the guy in the picture, and by holding it like you do I'm willing to bet $10 you can reach easily two inches past the edge of your phone with the tip of your thumb.

 

I expect my $10 shortly. To reach two inches past the edge of my phone with the tip of my thumb, the phone must be resting on the intermediate and distal phalanges of all my fingers save for my pinky, which is wrapped under the phone to prevent it from FALLING, as it would if it were not.

 

Absolutely no one can actually hold a phone in that position.

 

Quote:
There's is nothing in the design of the iPhone that was done so it was a one hand use device. That's utter stupidity to suggest that and anyone who agrees or pushes this viewpoint is a goddamn moron. (not saying you do, and not directing the second part at you at all, just the article in general.)

 

You need to calm the heck down. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #88 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely no one can actually hold a phone in that position.

 

 

I do it every day. Want to continue speaking is absolutes?

post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post
I do it every day. Want to continue speaking is absolutes?

 

Only if you think you can, of course.

 

You hold your phone only on the last two bones of your fingers and manipulate it with the thumb of that hand?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

 

I do it every day. Want to continue speaking is absolutes?

Why don't you go around your house and measure the width of all your remote controls and get back to us. Since nobody can deny that the designed purpose of a TV, Cable, Stereo Remote control is designed specifically for one handed low light use, let us all know what the average width of the devices are. Then go and measure the iPhone.

post #91 of 123

The graphics used in this article are deceptive.  They do not truly represent facts.  They are done to make a point but are misleading in the process. The aspect ratio for the graphic of the iPhone 4S is not correct, it shows a narrower screen for the screen height.  The graphic for a wider screen is extremely deceptive because it is way out of proportion to the 4S examples Aspect Ratio.  Below you can see what the same aspect ratio used in the 4S graphic would be if scaled up on the other graphic. There are 2 examples RED is how wide the screen would really be at the height shown.  The BLUE is how tall the screen would be at the width shown.  You can see they exaggerated the graphic to make their point. Also if you measure there is a wider orange reach area on the 4S graphic than on the other graphic the one on the 4S is 8% wider.

 

Aspect.png

post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Why don't you go around your house and measure the width of all your remote controls and get back to us. Since nobody can deny that the designed purpose of a TV, Cable, Stereo Remote control is designed specifically for one handed low light use, let us all know what the average width of the devices are. Then go and measure the iPhone.

 

I have and use one remote and it's about half the width of my iPhone. That's has absolutely zero to do with the article as it sits. They assume that the design is because you are holding your phone in a death grip with the lower edge of your phone buried in the palm of your hand. As a few people have responded to me, people hold their phones with three fingers behind it, the pinky underneath and use their thumb to point/swipe. Every edge of the iPhone screen it more than easily reached and most people can reach quite a bit farther than the edge of the iPhone. This article is complete and utter bullshit. It makes too many generalizations and claims that everyone that has an iPhone holds it with the bottom corner of their phone butted up against the thumb where it exits the palm. That couldn't be further from the truth. Only when you get to the godawful and ridiculously large phones do you have an issue with reaching the screen, but the article is both disingenuous and factually wrong. The iPhone won't suffer a single bit from being a little wider or taller because 99.9% of people who own a smart phone don't hold it as tightly as they try to demonstrate.

post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

 

I have and use one remote and it's about half the width of my iPhone. That's has absolutely zero to do with the article as it sits. They assume that the design is because you are holding your phone in a death grip with the lower edge of your phone buried in the palm of your hand. As a few people have responded to me, people hold their phones with three fingers behind it, the pinky underneath and use their thumb to point/swipe. Every edge of the iPhone screen it more than easily reached and most people can reach quite a bit farther than the edge of the iPhone. This article is complete and utter bullshit. It makes too many generalizations and claims that everyone that has an iPhone holds it with the bottom corner of their phone butted up against the thumb where it exits the palm. That couldn't be further from the truth. Only when you get to the godawful and ridiculously large phones do you have an issue with reaching the screen, but the article is both disingenuous and factually wrong. The iPhone won't suffer a single bit from being a little wider or taller because 99.9% of people who own a smart phone don't hold it as tightly as they try to demonstrate.

You know why you don't hold it in a "death grip' as illustrated in the photo and proped up by your pinky as you say?

 

Simply, because in the "death grip" it is harder for your thumb to accurately touch the lower interior portion of the phone. When typing with one hand the phone is shifted back and forth subtly while tapping with the thumb. This is MUCH easier with the smaller phone. It is not always about how far across the screen your thumb can reach but also how much your thumb can actually bend inwards must be taken into account.

post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
You hold your phone only on the last two bones of your fingers and manipulate it with the thumb of that hand?

 

I hold my phone like this. As do 99.9999% of every smartphone user I've ever seen, everwhere in the world.

 

 

IMG_0004.JPG

 

Absolutely no one I've ever seen with any iPhone, smartphone, or iPod Touch ever holds it this way. This is the use case and function that the article suggest and gives superiority to the iPhone's screen size and design. Stupid photo won't rotate correctly but you get the idea.

 

IMG_0005.JPG

 

What is presented here is completely false and is not real world use case. No one holds their phone like that and the sweeping arc garbage they talk about is based on how absolutely no one holds any smartphone. You'd have to grip the entire phone in a way that isn't practical, comfortable, or useable to make their declarations true. The iPhone design is great, but not because you can reach every corner of the phone holding it unnaturally. Making it slightly larger in every dimension would pose very little issue because 99.99% of people hold the phone like I do and that allows for much more freedom of movement than the BS that AI claims and people still continue to blindly and stupidly repeat.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

You know why you don't hold it in a "death grip' as illustrated in the photo and proped up by your pinky as you say?

 

Simply, because in the "death grip" it is harder for your thumb to accurately touch the lower interior portion of the phone. When typing with one hand the phone is shifted back and forth subtly while tapping with the thumb. This is MUCH easier with the smaller phone. It is not always about how far across the screen your thumb can reach but also how much your thumb can actually bend inwards must be taken into account.

 

So, basically I don't hold the way the article suggests because it makes it harder to use the iPhone that way? No shit. That's what I've been going on about. This article is based on a completely inaccurate use case to try and justify their love of the iPhone design. I love it too, it's the best phone on the market, but this whole article is crap simply because they try and make the case that isn't based on fact. No one holds the phone like they suggest because it doesn't work that way, it's not comfortable, easy to use, or natural. I know why I hold my phone the way I do, what I don't know is why idiots and AppleInsider keep trying to convince people that the iPhone is great because they say you use it in a way no one does. It's idiotic and for some reason AppleInsider writers and those that link to them are too stupid to take 5 seconds and read what they are claiming. It's just flat out wrong.


Edited by HKZ - 6/7/12 at 11:31am
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

What is presented here is completely false and is not real world use case. No one holds their phone like that…

 

Okay. You're wrong. I think we're done here.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Okay. You're wrong. I think we're done here.

Tallest, common, he is right with how many people actually hold their phone. I at least made the point that the overall reach of your thumb is not the only factor to be considered.

 

I believe he is wrong too, but I attempted to make a valid reason.

post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Okay. You're wrong. I think we're done here.

 

How am I wrong? You grip your phone like a baseball? 

post #98 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post
Tallest, common, he is right with how many people actually hold their phone.

 

How can he possibly know that? His words haven't been my experience, nor what I've seen.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

How can he possibly know that? His words haven't been my experience, nor what I've seen.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely no one can actually hold a phone in that position.

 

 

So you can say I can't do something without possibly knowing that I can, but I can't say that nearly all smartphone users don't hold their phones with a death grip because I haven't seen what you have? Hypocrite much? Care to provide any evidence that I can't possibly hold my phone in a way that you don't and still be able to manipulate my phone better than you can? If you hold and use an iPhone like the article says, or how I showed in that second picture I posted, then you are most definitely doing it wrong. You're actually making it harder to use holding it that way, as bmason pointed out, unless you have hands like a small child. Holding it that way makes the lower 1/4 of the phone closest to the hand almost useless because you can't get your finger there easily and you have to change your grip to do so. This article is based on stupid assumption and logical fallacy. It states:  "If your thumb can't reach the other side, you might be forced to use both hands." Or you could change your damn grip instead of squeezing the phone like it was an orange to be juiced. There is literally no logic or critical thinking in this article.

post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

How can he possibly know that? His words haven't been my experience, nor what I've seen.

I just handed my phone to a person who does not have a smart phone and asked them to unlock my phone using one hand. They struggled until they eventuially held it the way HKZ illustrated.

 

People do in fact hold the phone as his picture illustrates, myself included. That fact however, does not mean that the current form factor of the iPhone is not a better one handed alternative than a larger phone.

 

In fact it illustrates that the actual range of the thumb is less than people actually believe, and that in order to navigate a larger phone than the current iPhone requires more "Pinky Shifting" of the device to achieve a comfortable range of coverage. The actual comfortable, accurate and usabel range of the thumb is actually less than people think. They are only covering the larger phone with one hand because they are actually shifting the phone slightly and don't even realize that they are doing it.


Edited by bmason1270 - 6/7/12 at 11:48am
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post
So you can say I can't do something without possibly knowing that I can, but I can't say that nearly all smartphone users don't hold their phones with a death grip because I haven't seen what you have? Hypocrite much?

 

There's a difference between the way you're depicted holding it and the way I was talking about in that quote. You've taken that quote out of context and are using it incorrectly.

 

As a phone, your second picture is how I'd use my iPhone as a phone. Using the screen, your first picture is how I use my iPhone. The picture in the article is about halfway in between those, and holding it as depicted is not detrimental to the screen's use.

 

As I've said, I've seen people use it the way he claims no one does.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #102 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

There's a difference between the way you're depicted holding it and the way I was talking about in that quote. You've taken that quote out of context and are using it incorrectly.

 

As a phone, your second picture is how I'd use my iPhone as a phone. Using the screen, your first picture is how I use my iPhone. The picture in the article is about halfway in between those, and holding it as depicted is not detrimental to the screen's use.

 

As I've said, I've seen people use it the way he claims no one does.

Wow, that is a stretch. HKZ was, I believe, arguing against the diagrams, stating that, in fact, for navigating the phone, that is NOT how people usually hold the phone.

 

He IS wrong in believing that since he holds the phone the way he does, as do many people, that the size of the phone is irrelevant as you get larger.

post #103 of 123

Changing the Aspect Ratio and making the screen 4" by just making it taller only would make one handed operation MORE difficult that keeping the same Aspect Ratio and enlarging the screen to 4".

 

Without changing the Aspect Ratio you reach a 4" screen by only increasing screen width 1/4" and screen height 5/16".  

 

Changing the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and enlarging the screen to 4" by adding only height increases the screen height by 1/2".

 

Which is easier to reach 1/4" more in width or 1/2" more in height?  (especially the weird way that guy is holding the phone)

 

If Apple is changing the Aspect Ratio and going to a taller screen at the same width it is NOT to support better one handed operation.

post #104 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

Changing the Aspect Ratio and making the screen 4" by just making it taller only would make one handed operation MORE difficult that keeping the same Aspect Ratio and enlarging the screen to 4".

 

Without changing the Aspect Ratio you reach a 4" screen by only increasing screen width 1/4" and screen height 5/16".  

 

Changing the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and enlarging the screen to 4" by adding only height increases the screen height by 1/2".

 

Which is easier to reach 1/4" more in width or 1/2" more in height?  (especially the weird way that guy is holding the phone)

 

If Apple is changing the Aspect Ratio and going to a taller screen at the same width it is NOT to support better one handed operation.

It depends on the hand of course, but since most of the time you are touching predominatley the bottom half of the phone for most tasks, id say width is more important a consideration than height.

post #105 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Wow, that is a stretch. HKZ was, I believe, arguing against the diagrams, stating that, in fact, for navigating the phone, that is NOT how people usually hold the phone.

 

He IS wrong in believing that since he holds the phone the way he does, as do many people, that the size of the phone is irrelevant as you get larger.

 

I'm not saying it is irrelevant as you get larger, it most definitely will change they way you hold it and how easy it is to use depending on the size of your hand. But as the diagrams are shown and the use case for having a larger phone, it is irrelevant because almost zero people use the phone, while not talking on it, in that way. So having a larger screen to navigate won't be such a severe usability problem as they say because using any touchscreen phone is made harder, much harder, if you hold it like that to navigate the screen. As the screen gets bigger holding it the way they show will make it harder, but it's completely irrelevant because no on holds any smartphone that way to navigate the screen. I have literally seen zero smartphone users grip any phone like that to do anything related to using the touchscreen. Zero. Talking on the phone I have but that varies with people because of comfort issues. I hold it like the second picture when it's held up to my head and talking on it sometimes, but when I'm reading twitter, playing a vertically oriented game, or typing out a text I most definitely do not hold it like I'm trying to choke the life out of it. A distinction that Tallest is obviously unable to make. I think having a larger screen will make a difference in how easily you can reach all corners of the screen, but AppleInsider is make a fallacious argument. No one uses that grip to navigate their phone and using that grip as an example to show that a bigger screen would make it harder is just flat out wrong.

post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

There's a difference between the way you're depicted holding it and the way I was talking about in that quote. You've taken that quote out of context and are using it incorrectly.

 

As a phone, your second picture is how I'd use my iPhone as a phone. Using the screen, your first picture is how I use my iPhone. The picture in the article is about halfway in between those, and holding it as depicted is not detrimental to the screen's use.

 

As I've said, I've seen people use it the way he claims no one does.

 

I've taken nothing out of context. You said that I can't hold my phone that way and that is completely untrue. The first picture I posted I can most definitely move my thumb 2 inches past the edge of it and have complete safe control over it.  I use my phone the same way you do in the second picture when using it as a phone as well, I'm not arguing against that. AppleInsider isn't saying that either, they are saying that using that grip, talking on the phone grip, is going to be harder when using the touchscreen. You don't use the touchscreen when using it as a phone so it makes absolutely zero sense to present that as an argument against the usability of a wider phone. You simply don't use it that way when touching the screen. Simple as that. Using it like they show in their picture is detrimental to the screens use because you can't comfortably use the lower half of the screen with your thumb, and as I showed in my picture people don't use it that way. Their argument is null and void. It's simply fallacious and wrong.

post #107 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

 

I'm not saying it is irrelevant as you get larger, it most definitely will change they way you hold it and how easy it is to use depending on the size of your hand. But as the diagrams are shown and the use case for having a larger phone, it is irrelevant because almost zero people use the phone, while not talking on it, in that way. So having a larger screen to navigate won't be such a severe usability problem as they say because using any touchscreen phone is made harder, much harder, if you hold it like that to navigate the screen. As the screen gets bigger holding it the way they show will make it harder, but it's completely irrelevant because no on holds any smartphone that way to navigate the screen. I have literally seen zero smartphone users grip any phone like that to do anything related to using the touchscreen. Zero. Talking on the phone I have but that varies with people because of comfort issues. I hold it like the second picture when it's held up to my head and talking on it sometimes, but when I'm reading twitter, playing a vertically oriented game, or typing out a text I most definitely do not hold it like I'm trying to choke the life out of it. A distinction that Tallest is obviously unable to make. I think having a larger screen will make a difference in how easily you can reach all corners of the screen, but AppleInsider is make a fallacious argument. No one uses that grip to navigate their phone and using that grip as an example to show that a bigger screen would make it harder is just flat out wrong.

I agree with how you hold it for navigating. The diagram is WRONG in that regards. BUT you, and myself included, hold it that way because the rang of motion of our thumb cannot touch the interior portion of the screen if you used Kung Fu Grip on the phone.

 

But, that "range of motion" has a limit and making the phone larger will make it harder on that range of motion, for both larger and smaller hands.

 

Larger hands will have to adjust the phone to reach the interior of the phone and smaller hands will have trouble reaching the furthest edge of the phone, but particularily the interior corners.

 

Everyone, is fixated on the furthest reach of the phone that your thumb can touch and completely discount how much your thumb can comfortably AND accurately bend inwards to touch the lower left hand corner of the phone. (Assuming you are holding it in your left hand.)

 

People clearly have larger phones, and they seem to manage just fine, but there is nothing wrong for Apple to shoot for that sweet spot that meets comfort and functionality for most people. To say that the ability to design, with a wide range of hand sizes, a phone that can meet that with one hand use is not important or a goal I think is a wrong assumption on your part.

post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

People clearly have larger phones, and they seem to manage just fine, but there is nothing wrong for Apple to shoot for that sweet spot that meets comfort and functionality for most people. To say that the ability to design, with a wide range of hand sizes, a phone that can meet that with one hand use is not important or a goal I think is a wrong assumption on your part.

 

I don't disagree about shooting for a sweet spot at all. I'm also not dumb enough to think Apple isn't smart enough to realize this. They clearly have hit a very good medium with the iPhone and iPod. But we are talking very small fractions of an inch increase in size. If it were more than a quarter of an inch I could see it being an issue for those with small hands and people seem to be making a much bigger deal about this than is necessary or warranted. This article being the prime example. The iPhone is wonderfully designed but they are using a fallacious argument to go against making the screen bigger. I can't see how this is a real problem and the example they give is irrelevant. An increase of 1/4 of an inch in width is not going to break the usability of the phone and it's nothing to worry about. Certainly not enough to write such a terrible article about and call it a "signature" feature of the iPhone.

post #109 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

 

I don't disagree about shooting for a sweet spot at all. I'm also not dumb enough to think Apple isn't smart enough to realize this. They clearly have hit a very good medium with the iPhone and iPod. But we are talking very small fractions of an inch increase in size. If it were more than a quarter of an inch I could see it being an issue for those with small hands and people seem to be making a much bigger deal about this than is necessary or warranted. This article being the prime example. The iPhone is wonderfully designed but they are using a fallacious argument to go against making the screen bigger. I can't see how this is a real problem and the example they give is irrelevant. An increase of 1/4 of an inch in width is not going to break the usability of the phone and it's nothing to worry about. Certainly not enough to write such a terrible article about and call it a "signature" feature of the iPhone.

HAHAHA, much better said. Agreed

post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

As long as the zoom is the same, you are likely to see more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Why would you see less of a page? Text will wrap.

The whole world isn't text. And then overlay the keyboard to see what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Did you flunk math or geometry in school. Seriously how does more area on screen lead to less of the web page being viewed? A wider screen will be of huge benefit to those that view the web on their iPhones. Frankly if you visit these forums on your iPhone it should be pretty damn obvious.
Honestly how did you come to this point of view? Has your mind been twisted by the Democratic party?

Since you ask, no, didn't flunk, did reasonably well in math, especially geometry. Was #6 overall in my graduating class, if such things matter to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Nice try on trying to get me to switch political parties. You may want to rethink your strategy there because calling people morons is not helping your cause, especially when those morons are educated democrats.

He isn't a moron. Here's how it works... While the height (when in landscape) remains 640 pixels high, the percentage of the screen in comparison to the width becomes less. If the website is designed to fill the width of the screen (which it will be since that's the desired viewport), then the amount shown vertically is decreased. It's simple math really. Here's my proof since you obviously need that...

When in 960x640, the website fills the screen horizontally 100% and then the "fold" is at 67% of the width (640/960).  If you are using an 1136 pixel wide screen, then the fold is at 56% of the width of the screen(640/1136), or you are seeing 11% less of the height of the original viewport. If given the same DPI (326ppi), the website content would appear slightly larger, an increase of 18.3% (1136/960)-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


Can you compare two screens

1024x786 

to

1024x600

People are fearing the next iphone will become the later in landscape, less info.

EDIT:


I have used the power of my work PC to develop this representation of what I mean

Both fit to width, 960 on one, 1136 on other.   

LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Wow, I guess when you don't understand someone else, you can always resort to insults (and completely irrelevant political references). 

If a web page is designed to take up the device's width, making the iPhone wider will make the existing content larger, but show less content vertically since it is narrower. Imagine viewing a tall website like the New York Times in landscape mode. Either on iPhone 4S or "iPhone 5", it'll display the whole thing left to right. But vertically, the 16:9 "iPhone 5" would show less. 

I'm not saying this is a huge problem (holding it in portrait, it will show more content), but it's a valid point. You embarrass yourself. 

Thanks for proving my point, cycomiko. Then, throw the keyboard on there and try responding to this thread on the new, longer iPhone.
post #111 of 123

I don't get why people fear letterboxing so much.  What's the big deal?  It would allow backwards compatibility with apps and let Apple move to a new form factor with a new size.  And whatever is comfortable, the sale of large size Androids clearly shows that there's a ton of demand for larger screens.  

 

Aside from all that, I'd argue that this is one of those changes that Apple needs to make...otherwise you'll get a whackload of people complaining about how nothing has changed....like the 4S.  And let's face it, if Apple does change the screen size, nobody is going to question it.  People will be tripping over themselves to say how great an idea it was for Apple to go with a bigger screen.


Edited by Jetz - 6/7/12 at 7:02pm
post #112 of 123

Wow, we are a lazy people.

Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Reply
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankshott View Post

I think I cracked the riddle and it is staring us right in the face.  Apps developed with 16:9  aspect ratio will be optimized for both the new iphone AND the not-yet-announced iTV (and vice versa)  It almost seems, however, like iPAD would  have to go 16:9  at  some  point...

 

I had the same thought previously. iPhone + Siri + Tivo-like app = AppleTV remote?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I had the same thought previously. iPhone + Siri + Tivo-like app = AppleTV remote?

I'm hoping the disabled BT4.0 in the newest Apple TV will all make sense on Monday.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #115 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

First let me say this is another garbage AI article better suited for a slow news day!
As to your comments I'm not sure why everybody gets hung up on aspect ratios. Going 16:9 gives both the user and developer more screen to work with, without making the device awkwardly larger. A longer device will fit the pocket much better than a wider device.
The big advantage comes when viewing documents and doing just about any sort of editing. The current iPhone screen is a real pain in the butt when working with documents or web edit boxes like this one. I really don't understand the negativity here. Further if Apple was smart this really wouldn't be a "new" iPhone but rather a new cell phone added to their line up. Different people have different needs and the single form factor iPhone solution makes about as much sense as having a single size laptop.

Yeah but what about all that crap that has been spewing out from this site for the last 5 years that 5.4 is the best aspect ratio and 16.9 is crap. Oppions can't just change over night, wait unless everyone here just blindly follows what a corporation tells them to do. I bet you a 1,000 dollars the next iPad will also be 16.9, it's only logical to keep things uniformed. Hahahhhahahahh, this is going to be great, I'm really enjoying myself. The best thing to you will all love it and say it's much better, hahhhahhhaa.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #116 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
Yeah but what about all that crap that has been spewing out from this site for the last 5 years that 5.4 is the best aspect ratio and 16.9 is crap. Oppions can't just change over night, wait unless everyone here just blindly follows what a corporation tells them to do. I bet you a 1,000 dollars the next iPad will also be 16.9, it's only logical to keep things uniformed. Hahahhhahahahh, this is going to be great, I'm really enjoying myself. The best thing to you will all love it and say it's much better, hahhhahhhaa.

 

You seem to have it in for absolutely everything that Apple does, making up falsehoods as you go about the company and its users.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yeah but what about all that crap that has been spewing out from this site for the last 5 years that 5.4 is the best aspect ratio and 16.9 is crap. Oppions can't just change over night, wait unless everyone here just blindly follows what a corporation tells them to do. I bet you a 1,000 dollars the next iPad will also be 16.9, it's only logical to keep things uniformed. Hahahhhahahahh, this is going to be great, I'm really enjoying myself. The best thing to you will all love it and say it's much better, hahhhahhhaa.

Where the frak is Apple's 5:4 aspect ratio device? I can't think of any vendor that makes such a product.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #118 of 123
Yes 16:9 is crap, I develop both Android and iOS, the 16:9 screen of android tablets just feel stupid, adding the task bar permanently at the bottom made it more like moronic. The soft keypad is stretched so wide yet so short, making keys so narrow, it is just bizarre. Surprisingly I can type much faster on iPhone than on 4 inch android phones(Atrix and Galaxy S) with less error.
post #119 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwhAgain View Post

Yes 16:9 is crap, I develop both Android and iOS, the 16:9 screen of android tablets just feel stupid, adding the task bar permanently at the bottom made it more like moronic. The soft keypad is stretched so wide yet so short, making keys so narrow, it is just bizarre. Surprisingly I can type much faster on iPhone than on 4 inch android phones(Atrix and Galaxy S) with less error.

 

considering 16:9 was made to save money first and make movies look better second.  Why be surprised?

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #120 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

considering 16:9 was made to save money

Is that the truth? I've heard that 16:9 is less expensive, but mostly as hearsay. I really don't understand why it would be that way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › 26% larger 16:9 iPhone screen would retain single-hand operability