or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Video shows purported next-gen iPhone 'uni-body' backplate in detail

Video shows purported next-gen iPhone 'uni-body' backplate in detail

post #1 of 143
A new video has surfaced of the alleged next-generation iPhone, featuring a side-by-side comparison of an iPhone 4S and a backplate identical to a part seen in previously leaked photos.

The video from wireless parts company ETrade Supply (via CydiaBlog) gives a highly detailed look at what appears to be an aluminum backplate first seen in May, lending further evidence that the part may be legitimate.

Highlighting the clip is a comparison between the allegedly new part and the chassis and back glass of the current iPhone 4S. The side-by-side clearly illustrates how Apple's next iPhone could sport what the narrator calls a "uni-body" design that does away with the back glass in favor of a metal chassis and front glass configuration. This would be more of a regression to the design of the iPhone 3G/3GS that had the internal components nestled in a rounded polycarbonate shell, however the purportedly leaked chassis allows for a markedly svelte profile not seen in current Apple handsets. The new component is so slim that it is noticeably thinner than the iPhone 4/4S metal mid-section alone.

Besides the obvious height and depth differences, the physical button layout seems to remain unchanged with the holes for volume adjustment and power maintaining their relative positioning to the top of handset when compared to Apple's current iPhone. Also unchanged are the dual-antennas on the top and bottom of the device that were first introduced in the iPhone 4S.

As the narrator moves on to other sections of the phone back, he notes that the SIM card tray found in the leaked unit is noticeably smaller than the piece found in existing iPhone 4S hardware, thus making the two parts incompatible. The tray in the video seems to be the part seen in early May and could feasibly fit the new "nano-SIM" format recently adopted by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute.

Also making an appearance is the much-rumored "mini dock" at the bottom of the unit which is situated next to revised speaker and mic grills and a newly-positioned headphone jack.

Thursday's hands-on comes less than a week after a video was released claiming to feature the next-gen smartphone's front glass. It is unclear how thick the assembled shell would be if the two sections were put together, assuming that the two match at all, but Apple is rumored to be using in-cell display technology to keep displacement down. Disregarding the thickness of the panel, both leaked parts point to a display with a diagonal length in excess of 4-inches which is consistent with whispers saying the new iPhone will boast a bigger screen.

Apple is widely rumored to debut its new handset this fall sometime between September and October.
post #2 of 143

Wow... I like this a lot better, both in size and color, than what I was imagining after the last few product leaks.

post #3 of 143

Same here!

post #4 of 143
I understand that companies like this ETrade Supply sells replacement parts for phones. Lots of companies sell parts like that.

Assuming this part is legit... HOW do they get parts early for an UNRELEASED phone?

Are they secretly getting them from Foxconn? Certainly Apple isn't sending replacement parts out into the repair channel this early...

Where do these small companies get all their parts in the first place?

Edited by Michael Scrip - 6/6/12 at 11:51pm
post #5 of 143

Goodbye Gigantic 30 Pin Connector!

post #6 of 143

Looks better than the leaked photos

post #7 of 143

The authentic look of this literally dropped my jaw the moment he flipped it around. I think we may be looking at the real thing here.

post #8 of 143

Looks better than I've been picturing it, but I'm still a bit troubled by the glass on the top and bottom.

post #9 of 143

Notice where the Headphone jack is.  On the bottom.  Also is that casing a type of metal in the center where the Apple is?  Maybe black anodized aluminum?  I was hoping that the width of the new iPhone would be wider than the 4s.  I like the Samsung phones screen size.  But maybe Apple won't produce that because of copyright issues?  Still the screen size is better.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #10 of 143
I don't like the colour from the video. Why two contrasting tones between top/bottom and middle?
post #11 of 143
While I'm still not convinced by the tall and narrow form factor I think it is preferable to the overly wide design of the giant screened android phones of late - you do still have to be able to fit it in your hand after all.

If the mini dock connector is real then they've just kissed goodbye to compatibility with thousands if not millions of accessories, speaker docks and dock cables that people own which strikes me as a very bad move - this thing had better ship with a few mini to 30 pin adapters included in the box and extras had better be cheap to buy because they are guaranteed to get lost on a regular basis.
post #12 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Notice where the Headphone jack is.  On the bottom.  Also is that casing a type of metal in the center where the Apple is?  Maybe black anodized aluminum?  I was hoping that the width of the new iPhone would be wider than the 4s.  I like the Samsung phones screen size.  But maybe Apple won't produce that because of copyright issues?  Still the screen size is better.

I prefer the headphone jack on the bottom... just like the iPod Touch and my old iPod Nano.
post #13 of 143
They should make the back plate all aluminum instead of just partially aluminum. The hybrid approach looks tacky.
post #14 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I don't like the colour from the video. Why two contrasting tones between top/bottom and middle?

To match the front.

post #15 of 143

I think it is awesome..

i wish i could buy one.

post #16 of 143

The aluminum back is interesting.

Makes me wonder if Magic Trackpad like gestures will be possible on the back.

post #17 of 143

Although it's right that there might come a ton of dock connector compatibility issues. But I hope Apples isn't just reducing the size of the connector, but make it worth upgrading, e.g. make it a MagSafe connector. A lot of people will definitely like to have a magnetic connector like in the MacBooks than ripping out the cable now and then.

post #18 of 143
The only problem with having a MagSafe connector would be the weight of the iPhone. The MacBook range work because of the weight so will detach easily if any pressure is put on the cable. Whereas the iPhone probably wouldn't disconnect.

The part does look really nice, much better than the photo. It does seem like a parts are coming out very early. Maybe a cheeky announcement around WWDC? That would catch everyone out.
post #19 of 143
Quote:

Why two contrasting tones between top/bottom and middle?

Just a theory: Symmetry for the front and back.

Remember all that talk about Apple having an iPhone with a screen going right to the edge of the device? Well, if that is the case (no pun intended) on the front, it will stop short at the top and the bottom due to both the curved corners of the device, and also to leave room for microphone and earphones for phone use and front camera, etc. Heck, even if the screen doesn't go completely to the edge, I expect it will be far closer than previously. And the result on the front will (in practice) look a lot like that.

It's what I do.
It's what I do.
post #20 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

To match the front.

Sorry, didn't see your post when replying above.

Agree.

It's what I do.
It's what I do.
post #21 of 143

The only thing that looks suspicious is that the verbiage underneath where it says "iPhone" on the back is not there.  Apple usually has Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China on one line and then the Model number, FCC number and some other stuff printed underneath the iPhone labeling.  Just an observation.

To me, it could be a prototype.

post #22 of 143

Great video, love the guy's style.

post #23 of 143

as far as I understand, the FCC info usually printed below "iPhone" only comes after they've gained FCC approval of the device, so it's quite understandable that they would not have this info printed on a pre-production phone part.

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
post #24 of 143

Dude this looks legit! I am so effing excited over this.

I just love the all metal housing. Metal back and high end gorilla glass on the front. Probably higher def screen than the current iPhone .

Oh damn this is going to rock!!!!

post #25 of 143

While the features seem to be authentic at first glance, I have to keep in mind that China and Taiwan are masters at counterfeiting electronic products. An Apple logo and the word "iPhone" alone do not make a true Apple product. However, they may reflect the real product's design. That is, somebody might come out with a counterfeit at virtually the same time as the real iPhone.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #26 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

While the features seem to be authentic at first glance, I have to keep in mind that China and Taiwan are masters at counterfeiting electronic products. An Apple logo and the word "iPhone" alone do not make a true Apple product. However, they may reflect the real product's design. That is, somebody might come out with a counterfeit at virtually the same time as the real iPhone.

Somebody got their hands on those fake schematics from the other day and decided to make a fake prototype.
post #27 of 143

Does not anyone think it will be a standard micro USB slot and the headphone jack wil also be used in new dockingstations to be used as output together with the micro USB port.

That's why it is rerouted towards the bottem, Apple only do this with a purpose. It is one of the laws here in Europe to use standard USB recharge units.

Just like the first iPod Shuffle i have where the headphone jack is also a USB port.

Just my thoughts :-)

post #28 of 143
Apple throws out red herring prototypes to determine where the leaks in its ship are. Remember how everyone was convinced that the 4S would have a tapered 'teardrop' design? Tim Cook said at d10 that the company is becoming even more secretive. It seems unlikely to me that this is the new iPhone, although it probably was designed by Apple.
post #29 of 143

Wow, it is a beautiful design.

When can I pre-order?  Shut up and take my money!

Is this guy smarter than the Gizmodo guy. :)  

"What is this stuff?  May be iPhone 5 component?

As I said I really don't know what this part is."

Time will tell.

post #30 of 143

I really don't like the idea of moving toward that smaller dock connector. I have a number of iPods, peripherals, and car stereo gear that would necessitate carrying around some adapter and/or more than one cable. And that's just my personal stuff. I'll have to carry the darn cable/adapter around whenever I go to someone's house or ride in their vehicle and vice versa...when someone brings their new iPhone to the beach and wants to drop it in my portable stereo it isn't going to work. This is a headache in the making if they're doing that.

post #31 of 143

Maybe this is the new version of iPhone 4S which thinner and smaller! and the real iPhone 5 is for next September? 

post #32 of 143

Do not think it is a real back. The headphone at the bottom is very illogical and clumsy. In addition, there is still a groove in the side which in the 4 was necessary because the side is the antenna. In this back, this is not the antenna are therefore the groove is unnecessary. Apple would omit it.

post #33 of 143

I prefer the jack at the bottom, it hangs out of the way of the screen, and when you move your arm down to place it in the pocket, is the right way up.

post #34 of 143

Anyone believe in Thunderbolt integration in the dock connector? My first guess would be Micro USB replacing the dock connector and the sound go thru the headphone jack if it goes analog. But could they also fit or technically integrate Thunderbolt in the connector?

Would love to sync with wire if so. Movies and songs would fly over! :)

/T

post #35 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Apple throws out red herring prototypes to determine where the leaks in its ship are. Remember how everyone was convinced that the 4S would have a tapered 'teardrop' design? Tim Cook said at d10 that the company is becoming even more secretive. It seems unlikely to me that this is the new iPhone, although it probably was designed by Apple.

I've seen people say this before. Is there actually a documented case of this happening? Or is this a rumor of a rumor?

post #36 of 143

Now do one in White, and With screen mockup!! =)

post #37 of 143
If this is legit how does Etrade Supply get their hands on it? And if they work with Apple at all wouldn't they be in a whole lot of hurt leaking something like this? I have a hard time believing Apple is leaking the especially with Tim Cook saying they're going to "double down" on product secrecy. And if they were going to leak something wouldn't they leak a more finished product? This looks like an early prototype that's rough around the edges. Unless they've got fakes out there to try and catch leakers in the supply chain?
post #38 of 143

Bigger screen = fail. The current size is optimal. 16:9 makes no sense on desktop, and even less sense in a phone.

post #39 of 143
Quote:

I think that's just a difference in surface texture. I like it, it looks like a "black nickel" plating, I wonder what the process is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I prefer the headphone jack on the bottom... just like the iPod Touch and my old iPod Nano.

I would tend to agree. I liked it when the nano was on the bottom like that. I don't know if I like the speaker grille. The machine lacing certainly looks better on this piece. The last one looked like they used a bad tool bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Somebody got their hands on those fake schematics from the other day and decided to make a fake prototype.

That is a *lot* of work, and requires having access to expensive software and machinery. If you're really good, maybe done in a week's worth of work, for what? What do you think their motivation would be? It seems like a waste of time to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

I've seen people say this before. Is there actually a documented case of this happening? Or is this a rumor of a rumor?

I think I've seen credible information where Apple/Jobs tells different people different things to find who is leaking. I don't remember them releasing fake prototypes though. That is pretty risky.

If this is real, then it's pretty interesting. It's shaping up better than I expected. We'll have to see if it's real or some clone.
Edited by JeffDM - 6/7/12 at 4:47am
post #40 of 143

Now this is the first leak about the form factor of the new iPhone, that I feel tempted to believe it might eventually have some truth.

If this is a fake, it's really painfully well done. And the design changes are quite in a quality I would expect from apple.

Although I am not enthusiastic about a 16:9 ratio for the iPhone. somehow this looks like it's going to be a must have device.

Edited by Rabbit_Coach - 6/7/12 at 5:40am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Video shows purported next-gen iPhone 'uni-body' backplate in detail