or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Inside Apple's rumored 'new MacBook' vs. updated MacBook Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside Apple's rumored 'new MacBook' vs. updated MacBook Pro

post #1 of 115
Thread Starter 
The rumored introduction of a "new MacBook" series alongside refreshed MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lineups next week presents some interesting possibilities for the future of the Mac. AppleInsider takes a closer look at where Apple could be headed next.

For months, Apple has been expected to introduce new, thinner MacBook Pros with high-resolution Retina displays. The notebooks are expected to take design cues from Apple's MacBook Air, but offer more power than the ultraportable notebook.

But on Friday, AppleInsider was first to report on a research note from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI, who indicated that the redesigned thinner notebook will instead be a new MacBook series, rather than a MacBook Pro. Kuo said he expects Apple to update and continue to sell the MacBook Pro, complete with an optical disc drive, for the near future.

However, beyond that, Kuo said he believes Apple plans to discontinue the MacBook Pro lineup in 2013, if the "new MacBook" proves as successful as the company hopes.

Kuo expects the MacBook Pro branding to live on in the short-term with new 13- and 15-inch notebooks featuring the same design as the current Pro models. But the updated MacBook Pros and "new MacBooks" are expected to have essentially identical horsepower, raising some important questions: Why would Apple offer two products that are so similar? Further, if Apple does actually retire the 17-inch MacBook Pro, why offer two competing notebooks in identical sizes of 13- and 15-inch screens?

Breakdown


Apple's rumored notebook shakeup, if true, could be the company's way of slowly renaming its lineup to simply "MacBook." Losing the "Pro" name by next year could be compared to how Apple ditched the generational numbering scheme with its new iPad. Some have also suggested Apple also intends to call its sixth-generation iPhone just the "new iPhone," continuing the same theme of simplified product names.

So what exactly would be the difference between the rumored "new MacBook" and the refreshed MacBook Pro products? Most notably, the legacy MacBook Pro would maintain the optical disc drive and thicker form factor currently found on the MacBook Pro lineup.

And while the updated MacBook Pros would look largely identical, the "new MacBook" is expected to offer a number of features not found in the MacBook Pro, allowing it to stand out from its counterpart beyond their identical performance capabilities. Namely, the "new MacBook" is rumored to exclusively feature:
  • A slimmer form factor of about 18mm for the 13-inch model and 19mm for the 15-inch
  • No optical disc drive on any models
  • Retina display resolutions of 2,560-by-1,600 for the 13-inch, and 2,880-by-1,800 for the 15-inch
  • Edges outside the display 50 percent narrower than the MacBook Pro
  • A larger battery capacity about 15 to 20 percent greater than the MacBook Pro

MacBook
Apple's future MacBook lineup is rumored to come in three sizes: 11, 13 and 15 inches.

Both the 13-inch "new MacBook" and updated 13-inch MacBook Pro are expected to have integrated Intel graphics, while the 15-inch varieties of both devices are said by Kuo to have discrete Nvidia graphics cards.

Those anticipated changes corroborate with a leaked specification sheet for a new 13-inch MacBook Pro that surfaced earlier this week. It showed an updated model with Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processor and high-speed USB 3.0 ports, but no high-resolution Retina display.

So, is the "new MacBook" expected to be more of an "Air" or a "Pro?" Kuo thinks Apple will focus on the "Air" aspect of the new product, highlighting its new slim and light enclosure as the defining feature of the new MacBook series. He thinks the slimness of the "new MacBook" will be a greater selling point to consumers than its computational ability.

As Apple makes its notebooks thinner and ditches optical drives, Kuo expects Windows PC makers to follow suit in 2013. He noted that many companies are currently taking a "wait-and-see attitude" on where to go next.

"Even so, we think it will remain difficult for non-Apple (notebook) brands to make products that can match up to the new MacBook," Kuo wrote in his note to investors on Friday. "Aside from the enormous resources that Apple has put into designing a slimmer product, limited supply and higher cost of (notebook Retina displays) are a key hinderance."
post #2 of 115

Why would the 13" AND the 15" have 2560x1600?

And I only ask that because the 15" sticker we saw said that and not 2880x1800.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #3 of 115

Well, SJ did say, when they unveiled the current form-factor MBAs that Apple saw that as the future of the laptop, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

post #4 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would the 13" AND the 15" have 2560x1600?

And I only ask that because the 15" sticker we saw said that and not 2880x1800.

It's all rumors, Tally.  Have patience until Monday.

post #5 of 115

The 15-inch sounds too good be true.

 

CC at the ready, is the prediction here are even close. (Of course, assuming at least a 512GB SSD).


Edited by anantksundaram - 6/8/12 at 9:19am
post #6 of 115

That makes no sense. The MacBook was an entry level notebook that had just above adequate specs. This one is better than the MacBook Pro. And they're the same price? It doesn't make any sense. It would kill MacBook Pro sales.

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply

 

 


Tim Cook using Galaxy Tabs as frisbees

 

Reply
post #7 of 115
I just hope Apple (Tim) keeps in mind that the second coming of Steve was about new innovation and simplification of the product line. The last thing Apple should do is have too many products. IMHO they won't make that mistake.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #8 of 115

"Inside" the "Rumored Specifications"? lol.gif

 

Is that like:

 

"Inside the Imagined DNA of Big Foot?"

 

How National Enquirer of you.

post #9 of 115

I find it interesting to watch how Apple positions each of its products between one another in an effort to offer multiple computing solutions without cannibalizing any of their previous products.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 115
For goodness' sake, don't multiply, simplify! Merge the Air and Pro into a single MacBook line, 11", 13" and 15". At least the not-so-informed consumer will be able to choose more easily. And the pro users can get an external optical drive (I'm a pro user and haven't had a need for an optical drive for over 2 years, even with our limited broadband here in South Africa). Let's move forward, not sideways!
post #11 of 115

Personally, having SSD as the standard option and SSD + HDD as the second would make much more sense. Now the question remains what card will be used by nVidia.

post #12 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, SJ did say, when they unveiled the current form-factor MBAs that Apple saw that as the future of the laptop, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

 

Good point and if you look at the specs these MacBooks sound like MacBook Airs without the word Air. 

 

I think that Apple is going to stream line the whole thing by basically creating Airs in 11, 13, 15 while dropping the word Air to just call them MacBooks. Then as some top of the line, perhaps only available by custom order online, they will have a single MacBook Pro model in each of the two larger sizes that still has the optical drive, firewire etc. And then perhaps a single 17 inch Pro model also only available online. And for now those Pro models might be the only ones with a Retina Display. Test run to work out battery kinks and such. If it goes well then all the portables will have it next year. Cinema Displays and iMac will go Retina because there is no battery issue for them. 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just hope Apple (Tim) keeps in mind that the second coming of Steve was about new innovation and simplification of the product line. The last thing Apple should do is have too many products. IMHO they won't make that mistake.
 
Given that Tim was Steve's right hand in charge of production logistics during that Second Coming, I think he knows the issues. It's the analysts that don't get it. And are assuming that everything is additive not replacement. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #13 of 115

This makes no sense to me.  Put this up against the price list that was just revealed and there is only ONE set of Macbooks.  Who cares what the name is, it's still Apple's laptop line.  They won't have a high end and a low end version side by side at the same price.  This guy must work for Digitimes....

post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisZuurmond View Post

For goodness' sake, don't multiply, simplify! Merge the Air and Pro into a single MacBook line, 11", 13" and 15". At least the not-so-informed consumer will be able to choose more easily. And the pro users can get an external optical drive (I'm a pro user and haven't had a need for an optical drive for over 2 years, even with our limited broadband here in South Africa). Let's move forward, not sideways!

You are going to give up a lot of power if they merge everything into the Air line as it is today.

post #15 of 115

I think they are just keeping the PRO for those who still need a Optical drive. They can't switch completely away from that yet.  They won't expect to sell many of the PRO models but they are beefing them up to the same performance level for those that still need that Optical drive.  This new model is the replacement for the PRO but they need to keep an Optical drive model around for a while.

 

This new model will be more powerful than the Airs so they won't combine those two models.


Edited by GS Turn - 6/8/12 at 9:37am
post #16 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nugent View Post

This makes no sense to me.  Put this up against the price list that was just revealed and there is only ONE set of Macbooks.  Who cares what the name is, it's still Apple's laptop line.  They won't have a high end and a low end version side by side at the same price.  This guy must work for Digitimes....

 

Absolutely right. It will be a single simplified range of laptops in three sizes: 11", 13" and 15". Makes sense to call them MacBook. Within each product type there should be two processor options. BTO options should allow more RAM, larger hard disks, SSD versus HDD. And that's it. 

post #17 of 115

Double post.  Sorry.

post #18 of 115

If this is true, it is a muddled mess IMHO. Shades of the Performa days when Apple had a bunch of slightly different models. Hard to believe.

 

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #19 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You are going to give up a lot of power if they merge everything into the Air line as it is today.

Maybe they should keep the 17" as the only Pro model and "really" make it Pro with all the bells and whistles.

 

I have the 15" MBP and I like having the optical drive, the ethernet plug, and the assorted I/O capabilities, but I rarely use them. I do however think a powerful CPU/GPU is important for graphics work when on the road. Ideally that sort of work is done on a desktop machine but occasionally I have to whip something together while on the road. Smoothly running Adobe CS is a must for me. Other than that, a notebook is a secondary device for me.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

That makes no sense. The MacBook was an entry level notebook that had just above adequate specs. This one is better than the MacBook Pro. And they're the same price? It doesn't make any sense. It would kill MacBook Pro sales.

No sense at all.

 

What do I want- a better screen, thinner, lighter, better battery laptop or one that is thicker, heavier, and a worse screen- oh... but it has a DVD drive.  All for the same price?

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #21 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisZuurmond View Post

For goodness' sake, don't multiply, simplify! Merge the Air and Pro into a single MacBook line, 11", 13" and 15". At least the not-so-informed consumer will be able to choose more easily. And the pro users can get an external optical drive (I'm a pro user and haven't had a need for an optical drive for over 2 years, even with our limited broadband here in South Africa). Let's move forward, not sideways!

 

I think this new lineup makes perfect sense.  

 

The MacBook Air is pretty much already the "low end" and the replacement for the old plastic MacBooks.  What they are doing here is splitting off the old-fogey users of the macBook Pro line while redesigning that line at the same time.  The only people that will go for the MacBook Pros in this lineup are those that still need some antiquated technology or are just unwilling to change.  A year or two from now and a few revisions of the new line later ... the group that hasn't switched is truly tiny, and the "Macbook Pros" are discontinued (or the new line is renamed as such).  

 

This is all perfectly rational to me, and keeps the products lines at an absolute minimum while the transition happens.  It adds more weight to the idea that the 17" is history also.  

post #22 of 115

If the "new Macbooks" can use either SSD or HDD, this would mean it is not using the Macbook Air's SSD, but the normal 2.5" form factor. This doesn't gel with the simplification strategy.

post #23 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

I think they are just keeping the PRO for those who still need a Optical drive. They can't switch completely away from that yet.  They won't expect to sell many of the PRO models but they are beefing them up to the same performance level for those that still need that Optical drive.  This new model is the replacement for the PRO but they need to keep an Optical drive model around for a while.

 

This new model will be more powerful than the Airs so they won't combine those two models.

I think this is correct. It is the OMG the sky is falling people who would freak out even though they probably aren't even in the market for a new MBP.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post
I think they are just keeping the PRO for those who still need a Optical drive. They can't switch completely away from that yet.

 

Sure they can. Long time coming. No need for one at all anymore.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe they should keep the 17" as the only Pro model and "really" make it Pro with all the bells and whistles.

 

....

 

This won't work because only a small percentage of Pro users want the 17" laptops.  

 

It makes more sense to do what they are actually doing here which is get rid of the part of the Pro line that doesn't sell as well, and focus on keeping around the 13" and 15" until such time as people are moving to the new line in larger numbers. 

post #26 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

This won't work because only a small percentage of Pro users want the 17" laptops.  

 

Yeah I know but only a small percentage of people who think they are Pro users really are. Most people realize they can 'get by' with a 15".

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #27 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Maybe they should keep the 17" as the only Pro model and "really" make it Pro with all the bells and whistles.

 

I have the 15" MBP and I like having the optical drive, the ethernet plug, and the assorted I/O capabilities, but I rarely use them. I do however think a powerful CPU/GPU is important for graphics work when on the road. Ideally that sort of work is done on a desktop machine but occasionally I have to whip something together while on the road. Smoothly running Adobe CS is a must for me. Other than that, a notebook is a secondary device for me.

You know it's becoming much easier to do a lot of that kind of stuff on a laptop with enough ram. 16GB of ram or more makes an incredible difference, and some functions are gaining OpenCL acceleration which seems to perform quite well even on laptops Note this. It may not describe everything, but that would have been a heavy adjustment to incur such long times in cpu only mode. The issues are coming down to IO, display size/quality, and ergonomics. There are still many things in favor of a desktop, but sometimes it's possible to consolidate rather than continuing to update separate machines. Regarding IO capabilities, people are different. Some of them do use certain features but not others. Removing them just means those options and choices go away because they're not universal requirements. The idea that they should all be the same is more marketing than anything. It's cheaper for Apple. It sells more machines. You don't really gain much if anything in return. The guys who say they want a 15" Air may reconsider if it's lacking that featherweight quality yet still less capable. 

 

It's possible that in  the longer term, designs from Intel and possibly AMD+ NVidia may change in the mobile space. If the mainstream heads toward sub 10W designs rather than starting from higher power ones and reverse engineering toward lower power, we may see this. I'd still like to keep the ports though. With a little less tapering, you could have way more ports.

post #28 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

I think they are just keeping the PRO for those who still need a Optical drive.

 

Since the optical drive actually makes it less pro than one without it, it's implausible that there would be little other difference between such two models.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Turn View Post

They can't switch completely away from that yet.  They won't expect to sell many of the PRO models but they are beefing them up to the same performance level for those that still need that Optical drive.  This new model is the replacement for the PRO but they need to keep an Optical drive model around for a while.

 

This new model will be more powerful than the Airs so they won't combine those two models.

 

 

That doesn't make much sense.   Not only CAN they switch away from it but Apple has a history of big moves instead of slow transitions when they look at the future and see, for example, that hardly anyone needs a built-in optical drive anymore in their laptop.  Especially Apple users, given how Apple has stopped providing disc content for nearly all of their product.

 

Whether or not an optical drive appears anywhere I wouldn't chalk it up to Apple feeling they can't abandon those who'd like one.

post #29 of 115

Ok, so Apple is going to keep the MacBook Pro and rename the MacBook Air to just MacBook.  Then next year they drop the Pro and just have one MacBook line.  What's so hard to understand about that?

post #30 of 115
That seems backwards from a marketing standpoint to me. If you put your latest and greatest tech in the newer, thinner machines then those should be called Pros and the older, clunkier machines Should be depreciated to MacBook, unless you have a new suffix for the newer design.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 115

If they replace the sexy black display bezel on the 15" with that horrible metal color, like the ones on the 11" and 13" Macbook Airs, I'm gonna vomit.

post #32 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post
If they replace the sexy black display bezel on the 15" with that horrible metal color, like the ones on the 11" and 13" Macbook Airs, I'm gonna vomit.

 

Did you vomit for the six years the aluminum PowerBook design was used? How about the titanium PowerBook design? :wherefore_art_thou,_rolleyes_emoticon.gif:

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #33 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

If this is true, it is a muddled mess IMHO. Shades of the Performa days when Apple had a bunch of slightly different models. Hard to believe.

 

-kpluck

Yes, four choices is SO HARD to understand.    All you anal-retentives out there need to calm down.   There's nothing wrong with making different models for different types of users.     

 

It's most certainly not shades of the Performa days.  And even after Steve's return, it took a long time to drop to just a handful of products:

 

1995: 38 Desktops/Towers, 10 PowerBooks

1996: 40 Desktops/Towers, 4 PowerBooks

1997: 45 Desktops/Towers, 8 PowerBooks

(Steve returns in July of '97)

1998: 14 Desktops/Towers, 14 PowerBooks

1999:  20 Desktops/Towers, 3 iBooks, PowerBooks

2000: 13 Desktops/Towers, 16 iBooks, PowerBooks

2001: 16 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops

2002: 21 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops

2003: 18 Desktops/Towers, 13 laptops

2004: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops

2005: 19 Desktops/Towers, 10 laptops

2006: 15 Desktops/Towers, 17 laptops

2007: 10 Desktops/Towers, 9 laptops

2008: 6 Desktops/Towers, 19 laptops

2009: 14 Desktops/Towers, 12 laptops 

2010: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops, 6 iPads

2011: 7 Desktops/Towers, 14 laptops, 6 iPads (18 configurations)

post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

There are still many things in favor of a desktop, but sometimes it's possible to consolidate rather than continuing to update separate machines. 

It is also an issue of ergonomics for me. Working on a notebook screen placed at the desk level is the wrong height and the wrong distance from the keyboard which is also uncomfortable for working extended hours. Just my opinion, but I am spoiled with my Mac Pro and 30" Cinema, high end ergonomic desk and chair. Working on my MBP is a total compromise for the sake of portability.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #35 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Yes, four choices is SO HARD to understand.    All you anal-retentives out there need to calm down.   There's nothing wrong with making different models for different types of users.     

 

It's most certainly not shades of the Performa days.  And even after Steve's return, it took a long time to drop to just a handful of products:

 

1995: 38 Desktops/Towers, 10 PowerBooks

1996: 40 Desktops/Towers, 4 PowerBooks

1997: 45 Desktops/Towers, 8 PowerBooks

(Steve returns in July of '97)

1998: 14 Desktops/Towers, 14 PowerBooks

1999:  20 Desktops/Towers, 3 iBooks, PowerBooks

2000: 13 Desktops/Towers, 16 iBooks, PowerBooks

2001: 16 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops

2002: 21 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops

2003: 18 Desktops/Towers, 13 laptops

2004: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops

2005: 19 Desktops/Towers, 10 laptops

2006: 15 Desktops/Towers, 17 laptops

2007: 10 Desktops/Towers, 9 laptops

2008: 6 Desktops/Towers, 19 laptops

2009: 14 Desktops/Towers, 12 laptops 

2010: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops, 6 iPads

2011: 7 Desktops/Towers, 14 laptops, 6 iPads (18 configurations)

 

No, we're not talking at all about BTO configurations.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #36 of 115

Please be 14" and 16" with narrow edge. Makes much more sense to consolidate this way.

 

13"-->14"<--15"-->16"<--17"

post #37 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Yes, four choices is SO HARD to understand.    All you anal-retentives out there need to calm down.   There's nothing wrong with making different models for different types of users.     

It's most certainly not shades of the Performa days.  And even after Steve's return, it took a long time to drop to just a handful of products:

1995: 38 Desktops/Towers, 10 PowerBooks
1996: 40 Desktops/Towers, 4 PowerBooks
1997: 45 Desktops/Towers, 8 PowerBooks
(Steve returns in July of '97)
1998: 14 Desktops/Towers, 14 PowerBooks
1999:  20 Desktops/Towers, 3 iBooks, PowerBooks
2000: 13 Desktops/Towers, 16 iBooks, PowerBooks
2001: 16 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops
2002: 21 Desktops/Towers, 16 laptops
2003: 18 Desktops/Towers, 13 laptops
2004: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops
2005: 19 Desktops/Towers, 10 laptops
2006: 15 Desktops/Towers, 17 laptops
2007: 10 Desktops/Towers, 9 laptops
2008: 6 Desktops/Towers, 19 laptops
2009: 14 Desktops/Towers, 12 laptops 
2010: 9 Desktops/Towers, 11 laptops, 6 iPads
2011: 7 Desktops/Towers, 14 laptops, 6 iPads (18 configurations)

How are you counting the desktops? Right now, I see 3 minis, 4 iMacs and 4 Mac Pros, making it 11 Desktops/Towers. And that's excluding any BTO permutations.
post #38 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The rumored introduction of a "new MacBook" series alongside refreshed MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lineups next week presents some interesting possibilities for the future of the Mac. AppleInsider takes a closer look at where Apple could be headed next.
For months, Apple has been expected to introduce new, thinner MacBook Pros with high-resolution Retina displays. The notebooks are expected to take design cues from Apple's MacBook Air, but offer more power than the ultraportable notebook.
But on Friday, AppleInsider was first to report on a research note from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI, who indicated that the redesigned thinner notebook will instead be a new MacBook series, rather than a MacBook Pro. Kuo said he expects Apple to update and continue to sell the MacBook Pro, complete with an optical disc drive, for the near future.
However, beyond that, Kuo said he believes Apple plans to discontinue the MacBook Pro lineup in 2013, if the "new MacBook" proves as successful as the company hopes.
Kuo expects the MacBook Pro branding to live on in the short-term with new 13- and 15-inch notebooks featuring the same design as the current Pro models. But the updated MacBook Pros and "new MacBooks" are expected to have essentially identical horsepower, raising some important questions: Why would Apple offer two products that are so similar? Further, if Apple does actually retire the 17-inch MacBook Pro, why offer two competing notebooks in identical sizes of 13- and 15-inch screens?
Breakdown

Apple's rumored notebook shakeup, if true, could be the company's way of slowly renaming its lineup to simply "MacBook." Losing the "Pro" name by next year could be compared to how Apple ditched the generational numbering scheme with its new iPad. Some have also suggested Apple also intends to call its sixth-generation iPhone just the "new iPhone," continuing the same theme of simplified product names.
So what exactly would be the difference between the rumored "new MacBook" and the refreshed MacBook Pro products? Most notably, the legacy MacBook Pro would maintain the optical disc drive and thicker form factor currently found on the MacBook Pro lineup.
And while the updated MacBook Pros would look largely identical, the "new MacBook" is expected to offer a number of features not found in the MacBook Pro, allowing it to stand out from its counterpart beyond their identical performance capabilities. Namely, the "new MacBook" is rumored to exclusively feature:
  • A slimmer form factor of about 18mm for the 13-inch model and 19mm for the 15-inch
  • No optical disc drive on any models
  • Retina display resolutions of 2,560-by-1,600 for the 13-inch, and 2,880-by-1,800 for the 15-inch
  • Edges outside the display 50 percent narrower than the MacBook Pro
  • A larger battery capacity about 15 to 20 percent greater than the MacBook Pro

MacBook
Apple's future MacBook lineup is rumored to come in three sizes: 11, 13 and 15 inches.

What this looks like to me is Apple is going to replace the MBP but will keep it available for some time - exactly as they did with the iPad and iPhone.

If the keep MBP around for a year, it will be hard to argue for keeping the ODD beyond that. The very small number of people who really need it can use an external.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #39 of 115

I too agree the current MBP is an antiqued design, and will go away in time. If so, why compare the "new Macbooks" with something that's going away?

 

I feel the more interesting thinking, is, why should the "new Macbooks" be called "Macbook Air+". Like what others have suggested, it is essentially one line (MBA) with 3 sizes: 11", 13" & 15".

 

  11" Macbook Air 13" Macbook Air 13" new Macbook 15" new Macbook
CPU 2.6GHz dual-core 2.8GHz dual-core 2.3Ghz quad-core 2.6Ghz quad-core
GPU Intel HD 4000 Discrete
Thickness 0.68" (17mm)
Display 1366x768 1440x900 2560x1600 2880x1800
Battery 4680 mAh 6700 mAh Up to 6924 mAh
RAM (Fixed!) 4GB (SO-DIMM) 2x2GB or more
Storage (Fixed!) SSD (2.5") SSD or HDD
Price US$999-1,199 US$1,299-1,599 US$1,199-1,499 US$1,799-2,199
post #40 of 115
There is too much Intel GPU. It will be pretty bad if they only use dedicated in 15" model.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Inside Apple's rumored 'new MacBook' vs. updated MacBook Pro